PG Music Home
Posted By: Troy Schiewe Long Lonely Christmas - 11/01/19 12:31 PM
As we all know it takes a while to write these things and in this case I started this song and two other Christmas songs last Christmas. I didn't get them finished before the season was over and no one wants to hear a Christmas song in January (maybe not early November as well). So I told myself that this year I would pick them back up at the beginning of October and get them done. I know this is early, but I'm going to be away for most of this month and without access to what I need to get these recorded. So without further excuses...here is my November song number 15 in my song a month challenge for 2019.

A little bit of info on this song.. I had the unfortunate position of watching a friend of mine have his relationship fall apart around Christmas over a decade ago. I never intended to write about it, but it basically wrote itself. Incidentally the friend is doing great now and as a song writer himself has no issues with the song (just to stop the hate mail).

A little about the recording.. I've done my best to record this in the style of the Everly Brothers stage act of the late 80's early 90's. I had the pleasure of seeing them 3 times. The last time was with my Dad just before he passed away unexpectedly. I was already a big fan of Don and Phil, but this cemented them there. When ever I hear them I think about my Dad and about the great night we had.

Bass - 519 Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes
Piano - 1564 Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm IslandJohn
Drums - PopCalypso
Guitar1 - 1175 Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm PopCalypso
Guitar2 - 1177 Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Rhythm PopCalypso
Piano 2 - 2026 Piano, Acoustic, Soloist CountryJohn
Main Vocal - Troy Schiewe (me)
Harmony - Generated with BIAB

Each track generated and saved as a wave file and then mixed with Reaper.

Link to song on -----> SoundCloud
Long Lonely Christmas
Words and Music by Troy Schiewe
Copyright 2019

It's been a long lonely Christmas
I'm sitting here by the phone
It's been a long long lonely Christmas
I'm missing you tonight

On the street there are carolers
On TV a Christmas Parade
But I don't feel much like smiling
No I can't play that charade

I'm wishing you come back home

I don't know what I said or done
But somehow I drove you away
And all I really want for Christmas this year
Is for you to come back home to stay

Posted By: Noel96 Re: Long Lonely Christmas - 11/01/19 04:49 PM
Hi Troy,

This sounds excellent!

You've created a wonderful backing group with BIAB that provides the perfect showcase for your terrific vocals.

You sure know how to write, arrange and present a thoroughly engaging song. I enjoyed everything about this.

All the best
Noel
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Long Lonely Christmas - 11/01/19 05:58 PM
This is a belter of a sad Christmas hit, and as Noel said excellently done.

I loved the vocals.

Thanks
Posted By: rayc Re: Long Lonely Christmas - 11/01/19 06:34 PM
Really nice backing, narrative and vocal performance.
The 2nd voice is may be a little loud as in the beginning I wasn't sure which was the main. I made an assumption based on the latter entry of one compared to another - perhaps lower the 2nd/harmony voice a little just for verse one?
It seems a little odd to have the piano solo over to one side though.
Lovely song.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Long Lonely Christmas - 11/01/19 09:19 PM
I kind of get a Roy Orbison feel on this one. Well mixed and the vocals sound good to me.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Long Lonely Christmas - 11/02/19 12:03 AM
Troy, great arrangement, quality vocals and fantastic Christmas song.

I really enjoyed the mix, and you generated special interest by starting the song with the chorus.

Well done.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Long Lonely Christmas - 11/02/19 01:40 AM
Hi Troy ...

This is the first of your songs I've had the pleasure to listen to. Sure am glad I clicked onto this!

Great song and your vocals are excellent. Very nice backing tracks ... excellent selection!

That was a real nice listen! Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: dcuny Re: Long Lonely Christmas - 11/02/19 03:30 AM
Memorable chorus, solid verses that give the outline of the story and the feel of the season without getting stuck in details, good arrangement, well sung, nice harmony.

What's not to like? smile
Posted By: Troy Schiewe Re: Long Lonely Christmas - 11/02/19 12:13 PM
Hey everyone, I know I don't post comments very often, that's just because I never really know what to say. But I just wanted to thank you all for all the comments both complementary and constructive. It's helped me immensely in my songwriting and I do really appreciate you all.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Long Lonely Christmas - 11/03/19 03:59 PM
I'm bit in a melancholy Christmas mood because of the darkness outside, so this song really touches right now. Beautiful melody, nice longing lyrics, heartfelt singing, good mix.

Janne
Posted By: Jim Re: Long Lonely Christmas - 11/06/19 11:42 PM
A nicely written Christmas song...
Your vocals remind me of Dwight Yoakum...
And I enjoyed listening...
Merry Christmas!
© PG Music Forums