PG Music Home
Posted By: sixchannel DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/09/19 08:36 AM
Ever wanted to get in your car and just GO?
Here's some guitar music to do it to.
This Country Rock style guitar Instro came out of experimenting with some BandInABox styles.
I'm not very conversant with American country music but thought that _CDRIVIN.STY was superb so put this tune to the Style. I hope you like it.
One of the inspirational Floyd Jane's writing concepts is used here - A-B-A-B-C-B, to break up the run of the tune.
Guitar is my hand-built Strat, Kinman FV pickups, with a touch of Boss CS-3 compressor, Behringer US600 Shifter pedal, echo via an ancient Alesis Q2 unit, Joyo ACTone amp sim.

CDRIVIN info - -
1693:Bass, Electric, CountryDrivin8thsA-B Ev 150
2950:Bass, Electric, pumping
1697:Pedal Steel, Rhythm CountryDrivin8ths Ev 150
1696:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryDrivin8ths Ev 150
406:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 136
RealDrums :NashvilleEven8^6-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Open
oh yes – and a midi Peeanner track that appeared by magic when I opened it in RB. Its not on the Style at all afaik, but it works well.

Here is DRIVE TIME - I hope you like it - https://app.box.com/s/qz7bux419ynyqgyhv1xql1iaf499b27j
Cheers
Ian
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/09/19 09:02 AM
Ian, sensational, you make that Strat Sing!

Great driving beat throughout.

Drop the top on a summer's night and go.

You really captured a fantastic 'driving' feel. Could also slot perfectly into a surfers movie theme.

This is just really, really good.

Trev

Attached picture 2019-11-09_23-18-35.jpg
Posted By: PeterF Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/09/19 06:01 PM
Lovely tone and very nice melodic and interesting playing.

A really nice guitar instrumental very well done.

Peter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/09/19 06:35 PM
Definitely has some surfin' vibe to it and a hint of The Ventures.

Really fun guitar with a cool tone and performance!

Nice band too!

J&B
Posted By: sixchannel Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/10/19 05:48 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Ian, sensational, you make that Strat Sing!

Great driving beat throughout.

Drop the top on a summer's night and go.

You really captured a fantastic 'driving' feel. Could also slot perfectly into a surfers movie theme.

This is just really, really good.

Trev

Thank you Trev for your kind thoughts. Great pic too. Back 'in the day' I had a 1953 Hillman Minx convertible in custard yellow. Thought it was THE Danglies until its back broke on a country road and we had to hold the doors closed all the way home. Sweet memories.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/10/19 06:25 AM
Hi Ian,

that's a goodie! It's different from your other songs I've heard so far. A most interesting combination of that backing track and the melody (and the way you play it).

Like J & B said: There's definitely some surf feel in it - to me it's one of those great cross-overs that you don't expect but are very fond of when you hear them. But how should it be called: Smuntry? Courf? And how would the last one have to be pronounced?

Just kiddin' - great stuff !!!

Regards,

Stefan
Posted By: sixchannel Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/10/19 03:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Definitely has some surfin' vibe to it and a hint of The Ventures.

Really fun guitar with a cool tone and performance!

Nice band too!

J&B

I guess I'm so dialled in to Surf and The Ventures, Shadows etc that the phrasing comes out even in s Country style. Lol.
Glad you liked it
Ian
Posted By: sixchannel Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/10/19 03:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Ian,

that's a goodie! It's different from your other songs I've heard so far. A most interesting combination of that backing track and the melody (and the way you play it).

Like J & B said: There's definitely some surf feel in it - to me it's one of those great cross-overs that you don't expect but are very fond of when you hear them. But how should it be called: Smuntry? Courf? And how would the last one have to be pronounced?

Just kiddin' - great stuff !!!

Regards,

Stefan

Gotta be Surftry. I'll have to put it in the Styles Wishlist?
An accidental crossover for sure.
Cheers
Ian
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/10/19 10:43 PM
I love this! Great sound. This style of guitar is one of my faves.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/11/19 01:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I love this! Great sound. This style of guitar is one of my faves.

Many thanks for taking a listen and your kind comments.
Much appreciated.
Ian
Posted By: sslechta Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/11/19 01:08 PM
Love the surf sound you got on this one. I like the way the different guitars were layered in the mix, country and surf. Love the strat! Nice work sir! Keep 'em coming!
Nice work - loved the surfing grooves on this smile The melodies are top notch, and I thought the guitars work wonderfully with one another here.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: rayc Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/12/19 05:45 AM
I really like my ACtone pedal. I don't use it ofetn and almost always DI when I do but it has THAT sound.
Ancient Alesis - I have an ancient Alesisi Reverb III - it has 3 decent settings!
Interesting use of the pitch pedal - is that clean & wet at equal measure?
This is all about standing in the sun & seeing the Shadows.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/12/19 01:48 PM
Hi Steve and Derek, I didnt intentionally set out to be Surfy but I guess its in the genes. Lol.
Hi Ray, at home the ACTone is always in use through the PC monitors as my gigging amp, a 'real' Vox doesnt have Line Out and would be "too loud, man" when driven nicely and miked up.
The Octaving set-up on the US600 varies. You can go Input plus minus an Octave or plus plus an Octave (if that makes sense). The Balance knob gives both at centre or the chosen octave left or right,so you can have Fun with the ratio. Its sold as a Harmonist but imho it's rubbish at that, but has other fun tricks too.
Ian
Posted By: Jim Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/12/19 03:46 PM
Great surf like guitar playing...
I like it !!!!!!
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/12/19 09:41 PM
Ghost Riders sound and feel, I enjoyed it. Like that you mixed it up with a few double stops. Great work!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/12/19 11:37 PM
A favourite guitar style of mine- fantastic tone, effects and just enough variation in your melodic playing to keep me guessing.
Very much enjoyed!
Posted By: sixchannel Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/13/19 06:09 PM
Hi Jim and Tune Monger - glad you liked it. THere's octaving, harmonies and double stops all in there - somewhere! lol.
Ian
Posted By: Teletwanger Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/13/19 07:54 PM
I love this. Great chord changes and melody. I love your guitar tone. Excellent.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/14/19 04:43 PM
Hi Robertkc - many thanks for listening. Glad you enjoyed it.
Ian
Posted By: Scott C Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/16/19 11:27 AM
This is an excellent song. Definitely got Shadows - Ventures vibe. Cool tune . Some neat effects at the end as well. Well done
Posted By: sixchannel Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/16/19 01:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Teletwanger
I love this. Great chord changes and melody. I love your guitar tone. Excellent.

Hi Telewanger, glad you enjoyed it. The Strat has Kinman FV pups in.
Ian
Posted By: WobblyGstring Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/16/19 04:49 PM
Hi Ian

Great sounding song indeed. I am however curious to what pedals/patches you use to get that drippy Surf/Ventures sound and as I am typing I sense a flavour of Hank Marvin too!

The harmonies you play sound spectacular

Regards
Posted By: sixchannel Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/17/19 06:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
This is an excellent song. Definitely got Shadows - Ventures vibe. Cool tune . Some neat effects at the end as well. Well done

Hi Scott, many thanks for your kind comments. Much appreciated. I dont have much 'gear' but those I have are inexpensive and great fun.
Ian
Posted By: sixchannel Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/17/19 04:56 PM
Originally Posted By: WobblyGstring
Hi Ian

Great sounding song indeed. I am however curious to what pedals/patches you use to get that drippy Surf/Ventures sound and as I am typing I sense a flavour of Hank Marvin too!

The harmonies you play sound spectacular

Regards

Hi Wobbly
So glad you enjoyed it. I tried for 'Country' but I guess you can take the man out of the 60's but not the 60's out of the man. Hank Marvin and his contemporaries were/are my influences.
Pedals - A Boss CS-3 for some light compression
The middle verse and chorus uses a Behringer US600 Harmonist pedal set as minus one octave but the wet/dry set 50/50 so you hear both the mid register input guitar and the processed low register signal. Bit like reversed 12 string lol.
The echo is from a 25+ year old Alesis Q2 Quadraverb.
The Bridge to outro is a harmony track I worked out and recorded in after the main Lead was done.
Hope that helps
Ian
Posted By: Deej56 Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/17/19 05:49 PM
sixchannel,

Your instrumental has definitely captured the spirit of your intent. Can feel myself cruising down the open road with this one . . . and could hear this easily on a movie or short soundtrack, closing credits as the hero rides off. Well done!

All my best,

Deej
Posted By: sixchannel Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/18/19 04:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
sixchannel,

Your instrumental has definitely captured the spirit of your intent. Can feel myself cruising down the open road with this one . . . and could hear this easily on a movie or short soundtrack, closing credits as the hero rides off. Well done!

All my best,

Deej

Hi Deej.
Thanks for your kind feedback. I think here in the UK we're done with top-down cruisin' for this year.
Ian
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/18/19 06:50 PM
sixchannel, I also get a big time Ventures feel in this! A cool track that is highly enjoyable to listen to! Great job putting all this together. I liked the little bit different twist with this melody in the latter half of the song with the guitar! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: sixchannel Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 11/20/19 06:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
sixchannel, I also get a big time Ventures feel in this! A cool track that is highly enjoyable to listen to! Great job putting all this together. I liked the little bit different twist with this melody in the latter half of the song with the guitar! Thanks, Torrey

Hi Torrey
Many thanks.
It was fun to try and change the main tune sound with the pedal and the harmony was 'interesting' to put together yoo.
Ian
Posted By: Noel96 Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 12/01/19 03:40 AM
Hi Ian,

The accolades that have come your way are really well deserved. This is a fantastic listen.

I agree with Trev, you sure made the strat sing!

I totally enjoyed the listen.
Noel
Posted By: sixchannel Re: DRIVE TIME - guitar instrumental - 12/03/19 04:15 PM
Hi Noel
Thank you very much.
I was trying for Country but I guess I'm a Shadows/Ventures kind of guy. Lol.
Cheers
Ian
© PG Music Forums