PG Music Home
Posted By: RichRayer Something About You - New Mix - 11/12/19 09:45 PM
This is a new mix of the piece I added to the forum last week. I have done some extensive work on the drum line (I felt it was too loud and not in character with the piece) and re-did the mix of all the tracks in this piece.

It can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/richrayer/something-about-you-new-mix

I hope you enjoy the new mix.
Posted By: sslechta Re: Something About You - New Mix - 11/13/19 12:38 PM
Nice improvement sir! I had to go back and A/B with the old mix. The new mix blends the instruments much better. The snare is toned down more and not so intrusive on the mix. I actually like the parts without snare even better. Keep up the good work, I like it!
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Something About You - New Mix - 11/13/19 01:39 PM
Thank you for the comparison comments and listen. The drum part was actually completely changed to a more ballad type of instrumentation and balance. You are right that the snare needed to be less of a head banging sound. I still thought the B chorus still needed a little bit more snare impact but that is all personal preference. Again thanks for listening and commenting.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Something About You - New Mix - 11/14/19 11:05 AM
Very nice piece of music Rich. Ver nice listen. Well done..
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Something About You - New Mix - 11/14/19 12:15 PM
Nicely done - compared to the previous mix, I do find this to be an improvement. The mix is a lot more concise and the instruments blend together a bit better (to my ears).

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Something About You - New Mix - 11/14/19 04:10 PM
Thank you Scott C. I am happy you enjoyed the piece.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Something About You - New Mix - 11/14/19 04:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
The mix is a lot more concise and the instruments blend together a bit better (to my ears).

Thank you for listening Deryk. I did convert each drum part (snare, kick, tom1, tom2, tom3, cymbals overheads and room mics) into separate tracks for more control over volume of each and stereo placement.
Posted By: rayc Re: Something About You - New Mix - 11/15/19 07:27 AM
Nice tune but the leaning drums and BIG bass make my head lean.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Something About You - New Mix - 11/15/19 10:44 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
the leaning drums and BIG bass make my head lean.

Thank you for the comments and listening. I am not quite sure what you mean by "leaning drums".. I understand that BIG bass probably means it is too loud in the mix. I will listen to my mix and try some adjustments. I appreciate the information.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Something About You - New Mix - 11/17/19 04:52 PM
A very nice lovely calming piece Rich! I appreciate the effort involved in putting all of this together! Loved that flute? Sound toward the end! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Something About You - New Mix - 11/18/19 12:52 PM
Thank you so much for taking time to listen and comment on my piece. I appreciate it. I am glad you liked the flute!
Posted By: Jim Re: Something About You - New Mix - 11/19/19 01:18 PM
Actually I like both mixes...
And I can't make a decision which I like better...
Both of them sound good.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Something About You - New Mix - 11/19/19 01:26 PM
Very pleasant, and certainly the mix is fine.

Quite an enjoyable piece.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Something About You - New Mix - 11/19/19 03:01 PM
The drums are a much better fit and the mix sounds great on our monitors.

Some nice changes to an already fine composition!

J&B
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Something About You - New Mix - 11/20/19 10:33 AM
Jim, Thank you for the comments. I think mixing does (to some extent) involve personal taste of the sound engineer. You can mold and shape a piece in the mix to some extent. The latest version of this piece has a different drum track completely than the first and each drum mic was on its own track. Mixing and EQ'ing them took some time but I liked the result better than the stereo only track of the first mix.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Something About You - New Mix - 11/20/19 10:35 AM
VideoTrack, Thank you for commenting. The piece was enjoyable to compose and mix as well.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Something About You - New Mix - 11/20/19 10:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
The drums are a much better fit and the mix sounds great on our monitors.
J&B

Thank you for the nice comments. I am glad you told me how the piece sounds on your monitors. At least I know the piece works well on studio monitors. My speakers are not exactly studio monitors but are excellent book shelf speakers, but every system is different and I am glad to know the piece sounds good on your monitors.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Something About You - New Mix - 12/01/19 03:44 AM
Hi Rich,

As I'm sitting here listening, the previous version is not in my mind so I cannot compare... but that's good, I like to listen to songs as individual works.

This is a very pleasing sound and settles very comfortably on my ears as I listen through my headphones.

I love your sense of melody.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Something About You - New Mix - 12/02/19 11:10 PM
Noel96,

Thank you for the nice comments. I really am glad you found the piece to be relaxing and easy to listen to.

The melodic line was fun to develop when I was writing this piece as well.
© PG Music Forums