PG Music Home
Posted By: Troy Schiewe Till it's Gone - 11/23/19 09:04 PM
Hey everyone,

Here is a piece I wrote back in January. I didn't really like it and so I was going to bin it. But after gaving it a listen today I thought what is the use of taking the time to write, record , and mix something only to send it to the trash bin. So... I include it here for you to listen to. Lyrically it speaks about losing something or in this case people you take for granted will always be around (your parents). . As this was expected to end up in the bin, I don't have the instrumentation I used (though all were BIAB).

SoundCloud

Words and Music by Troy Schiewe 2019

Don't know what you've got till its gone
Didn't know things would go so wrong
Didn't know you'd be leaving here so soon
Leave me wondering what I'm supposed to do

Didn't think there'd ever come a day
When you'd leave and go away
Don't know what I'm going to do
Can't go on here without you

As the years come and as they go
How I'll get thru I do not know
How I hope and I how pray
I'll see you again some day
Posted By: MarioD Re: Till it's Gone - 11/23/19 09:11 PM
Troy, this is really really a great song. I liked your backing tracks and the different lead instruments in the breaks. Your vocal was excellent. This kind of reminded me of something Peter and Gordon might sing back in the late 60's.

Excellent work here!
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Till it's Gone - 11/24/19 02:17 AM
This is a frequent theme here on the forum, guess that's where the demographic falls. Whatever you choose to write about is always a pleasure to hear. Great vox, harmonies, production. Ray asked about what you use to record, I'd be curious to know what gear you use as well. The results are great.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Till it's Gone - 11/24/19 03:27 AM
Very impressive, musically, vocally, lyrically.

This really is quite outstanding.

Re: " I didn't really like it and so I was going to bin it." Woaahh. That would have been a big mistake cry

I like every part of it.
Posted By: Troy Schiewe Re: Till it's Gone - 11/24/19 10:54 AM
I have a Blue Yeti mic and record directly into BIAB. For some reason when I record vocals through BIAB they come out better than if I do it thru Reaper. This works for me as I also use the Harmony feature in BIAB to create the harmony vocals for my songs. I then export every track separately as a wave file and then use reaper to mix. What makes the biggest difference in sound to me is the filters I use on those tracks (Izotope Nectar 2 & Ozone 8). This is what makes the tracks come alive. They aren't cheap, but they do work fantastically. They have trial versions and of course Black Friday is this week.
Posted By: Jim Re: Till it's Gone - 11/26/19 03:05 PM
Another nice composition & production...
Good job.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Till it's Gone - 11/26/19 10:19 PM
This is a really impressive song! The lyrics especially were really touching. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Till it's Gone - 11/28/19 05:39 PM
Very pleasant melody and vocal. The vocals really lure the listener into the song. Great production!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Till it's Gone - 11/29/19 12:57 PM
Nice work on this one - I agree with Ezekiel's Storm above me, the production is top notch on this. I wouldn't bat an eye hearing this on the radio - and the progressions and vocals work perfectly.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Till it's Gone - 11/29/19 04:26 PM
Deceptively simple but rich in feeling. I was expecting to hear the violin again straight after the 2nd stanza but you surprised me by leading that musical bridge with some lovely piano before the violin returned. Nice touch!
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Till it's Gone - 11/30/19 01:17 AM
Troy,

Well, out of the gate, it hits the ear very well. Some nice harmonies to pull the listener in—and a nice mix on the reverb and such. The fiddle is crisp . . . and an excellent lead vocal. Killer piano solo. All that said, I kept looking for a lift . . . a bridge . . . some kind of change up to take it to the next level—the instrumental doesn’t quite take me there. That’s just one guy’s opinion, so take it with a big grain of salt.

But, man, this is a sweet song in every other respect for me—worth keeping on it. Enjoyed the spin.

All my best to you,

Deej
Posted By: rayc Re: Till it's Gone - 11/30/19 08:09 AM
Troy,
You've a bundle of ideas in this song that you can plunder for future creations.
As it plays it's nice enough and the narrative is a good one.
Your mixing is really good and I'm intrigued by BIAB being good for your voice.
That fiddle's a little too crisp: it'd be my only nit.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Till it's Gone - 11/30/19 01:43 PM
Troy, I agree with Mario that this is a great song! You might want to visit that trash bin and make sure there aren't any more like this one in there that deserve to be heard! What a message delivered so well vocally (harmonies were fabulous) with a great backtrack! Thanks, Torrey.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Till it's Gone - 12/01/19 09:45 AM
Lovely song. Super vocal and lyric and very impressive mix
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Till it's Gone - 12/05/19 03:32 PM
Very pretty song!! Nicely sung and produced too! Enjoyed it!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums