PG Music Home
It's Christmas so I hope you don't mind if I share a new version/mix of my song, Home for Christmas, which I put up last year.

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172/home-for-christmas-2019

I recently bought EzyMix2 and I've used that program on this new version of my song, which I have also rearranged a bit.
Most of the new instruments are from Kontakt.
There is also a RealTrack guitar: RT542:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Dreamy Ev 085 and RealDrums: NashvillePop16^4-Hihat,Snare.
I would love to hear your thoughts on the new version and mix.
I have now been sharing my music on the forum for one year and I have learnt a lot. Thanks to everyone who has helped along the way.
Merry Christmas to everyone on the forum - the friendliest place on the internet.
Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike,

I don't remember this one, so thanks for the repost.

What are you using for that lead line, is that a Kontakt instrument?

This is really well done, nice arrangement and production, mix sounds good too. Only thing I didn't like was that abrupt fade out, but that's an easy fix.
Love the overall feel of the piece. The harp and keys are particularly good. Plenty of variation and enough going on the keep me interested right to the end.
At the risk of nit-picking, my one disappointment is the lead violin/viola. The transitions from note to note sound a bit jerky and they do not flow as seamlessly as one would expect from such an instrument. I don't use Kontakt so I'm unfamiliar with options available there.
With sound-samplers by East-West (soundsonline.com) or Reason such clunkiness is usually overcome by advancing the "release" knob several points. Sometimes adjustments to "decay" or "attack" are necessary also.

Keep up the good work!

Posted By: Jim Re: Home for Christmas 2019 (A Yuletide remix) - 12/08/19 03:20 PM
Thanks for bringing back this Christmas song ...
Perhaps other Showcase songwriters should do the same...
With their old Christmas songs...
I know I wouldn't mind hearing them again

Attached picture SantaSmilel.jpg
Sounds good, Mike. A nice build.

I agree with Dave about the quick fade.

Merry Christmas!

fj
Very nice, I especially liked the first part of it.
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Mike,

I don't remember this one, so thanks for the repost.

What are you using for that lead line, is that a Kontakt instrument?

This is really well done, nice arrangement and production, mix sounds good too. Only thing I didn't like was that abrupt fade out, but that's an easy fix.

Thanks for listening Dave.
The lead line in the verses is from Kontakt strings, while the middle 8 features a Kontakt oboe.
I appreciate your comment re the mix as I really admire your production work.
Merry Christmas,
Mike
Nice work on this one Gary smile It flows really well, and makes for a nice catchy Christmas tune. The variations keep it engaging to listen to, and the mix is concise and professional.

Thanks for sharing!
Nice hearing this again....

Nothing wrong with bringing a good one back.

Merry Christmas!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Love the overall feel of the piece. The harp and keys are particularly good. Plenty of variation and enough going on the keep me interested right to the end.
At the risk of nit-picking, my one disappointment is the lead violin/viola. The transitions from note to note sound a bit jerky and they do not flow as seamlessly as one would expect from such an instrument. I don't use Kontakt so I'm unfamiliar with options available there.
With sound-samplers by East-West (soundsonline.com) or Reason such clunkiness is usually overcome by advancing the "release" knob several points. Sometimes adjustments to "decay" or "attack" are necessary also.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks mate. I certainly appreciate your detailed comments. I'll look into your release/attack observations regarding the strings.
Merry Christmas,
Mike
I don't remember this so this was a first listen.... nice work on this.
Originally Posted By: Jim
Thanks for bringing back this Christmas song ...
Perhaps other Showcase songwriters should do the same...
With their old Christmas songs...
I know I wouldn't mind hearing them again

Thanks for listening Jim.
There's just something magical about Christmas songs. Even new ones bring on an attack of nostalgia for me.
Merry Christmas,
Mike
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Sounds good, Mike. A nice build.

I agree with Dave about the quick fade.

Merry Christmas!

fj

Thanks Floyd. As always, your interest and comments are appreciated.
Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike,

This is really pleasant and easy-on-ears listening.

I enjoyed where the music took me as I sat in my chair, eyes closed and just let images unfold in my mind. I can tell that you've paid a lot of attention to detail in writing and arranging this work. It really was worth the effort!

I love the graphic on Soundcloud! It's good to remind people that Christmas is not snow and reindeer for everyone!

All the best,
Noel
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Very nice, I especially liked the first part of it.

Thanks for having a listen TuneMonger. I'm glad you enjoyed my Christmas offering.
Cheers,
Mike
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nice work on this one Gary smile It flows really well, and makes for a nice catchy Christmas tune. The variations keep it engaging to listen to, and the mix is concise and professional.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Deryk,
It's always nice to hear from PG Music people, considering how much music you are required to listen to.
Merry Christmas to all PG Music staff.
Mike
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Nice hearing this again....

Nothing wrong with bringing a good one back.

Merry Christmas!

J&B

Thanks guys. And thanks for listening to my songs this year.
Merry Christmas.
Mike
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I don't remember this so this was a first listen.... nice work on this.

Thanks for taking the time to listen Herb. Much appreciated.
Merry Christmas,
Mike
Very pretty intro. Lovely backtrack. Really nice choice of instruments. Well done
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Mike,

This is really pleasant and easy-on-ears listening.

I enjoyed where the music took me as I sat in my chair, eyes closed and just let images unfold in my mind. I can tell that you've paid a lot of attention to detail in writing and arranging this work. It really was worth the effort!

I love the graphic on Soundcloud! It's good to remind people that Christmas is not snow and reindeer for everyone!

All the best,
Noel

Thanks Noel for your kind words and for having a real, eyes-closed listen.
I'm very grateful for your comments and encouragement during the year.
Merry Christmas mate,
Mike
Very pretty!! Very Xmasy!! Nice mix! This would be great score music for a Xmas film! Beautifully done!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very pretty intro. Lovely backtrack. Really nice choice of instruments. Well done

Thanks for listening Scott. I have appreciated your interest and comments throughout the year.
Merry Christmas,
Mike
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very pretty!! Very Xmasy!! Nice mix! This would be great score music for a Xmas film! Beautifully done!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg. As always, your comments are greatly appreciated.
Have a great Christmas.
Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike,

Enjoyed this a lot, especially when it ramped up a bit with the drums and bells. Nice subtle use of 'aahs' as well. Were they from Kontakt? I reckon it could have gone a bit longer too.

Thanks for sharing.

Best,

Tim

P.S. Im a fan of the ezymix plugin too. wink
Hi, Mike !......

and a most Merry X-mas to you
as well as a most Fruitful New Year !
What a wonderfully beautiful little tune
you,ve done ! Liked it a lot !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Jim Re: Home for Christmas 2019 (A Yuletide remix) - 12/21/19 04:16 PM
Thanks Mike...
For taking time to listen to “There Won't Be No Christmas This Year” ...
You will find my response to your comments there...
Also I’d like to mention...
You really add to the success of this User Showcase forum!
Thanks again...
Originally Posted By: TeeKay
Hi Mike,

Enjoyed this a lot, especially when it ramped up a bit with the drums and bells. Nice subtle use of 'aahs' as well. Were they from Kontakt? I reckon it could have gone a bit longer too.

Thanks for sharing.

Best,

Tim

P.S. Im a fan of the ezymix plugin too. wink

Thanks for your kind comments Tim.
Yes, the aahs are from Kontakt.
I'm reworking a few of my songs now that I've got the Ezmix plugin.
Merry Christmas (hope you are not in the fire zones),
Mike
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Mike !......

and a most Merry X-mas to you
as well as a most Fruitful New Year !
What a wonderfully beautiful little tune
you,ve done ! Liked it a lot !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks for listening Dani. And thanks for your interest throughout the year.
Merry Christmas,
Mike
Well done - and Merry Christmas to you!
Originally Posted By: jimmadsen
Well done - and Merry Christmas to you!

Thanks for listening Jim.
Merry Christmas to you.
Mike
© PG Music Forums