PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/10/19 01:08 PM
I've been playing around with this for a while, and decided to go ahead and finish it up. I used a different vocal mic for this. I was cleaning up the studio and came across several mics I had almost forgotten about. It's a small capsule condenser and doesn't seem to have the low end that my other mic has..... it came with ARC and is supposed to have a flat response. Give me your thoughts on how it sounds. I have experimented a bit with this on my acoustic guitar and am impressed with the quality of the tone without the low end honk and boom I get with the other mic I use. I didn't use my acoustic guitar on this song but I will be using this mic on acoustic guitar on my next project. I'll probably put on some new strings too..... smirk

The song is the old classic hymn redone in a country style.

How Great Thou Art

As per some astute observations.... a few tweeks and there's a slightly upgraded version....
EDITED VERSION HERE>>>> HGTA Ver 2.0

The band is totally BB on this one.

Bass 684
Nashville even 8 drums
Guitars are: 405 & 2499
B3 686
Mandolin 2035
Dobro 2040

5 vocal tracks....
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/10/19 08:23 PM
Hi Herb,

This is really good listening. I love the mandolin.

Your vocals are very even in tone and volume and sit comfortably in amongst a really fine musical ensemble. In addition, your vocal clarity shines.

A first class arrangement, excellent performance and professional mix.... this one ticks all the boxes.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: edshaw Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/10/19 08:30 PM
Good work, Herb. Love the string solo and singing was right on.
Posted By: Marty Ricciotti Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/10/19 09:58 PM
Love it Herb! Gonna download and listen in the car. I really like how you push your vocals but stop just short of running out of air. They have a really nice sound. A soothing sound to go wit this great hymn.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/11/19 06:56 AM
Nice take on a classic, vocals sound good!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/11/19 11:10 AM
A nice even vocal. The mandolin and dorbro sound good. The organ works well.

The jangly electric guitar on the left side is too loud and high end heavy, so it competes with the vocal (and often overpowers it). Warming it up some and lowering the volume would give you some balance.
Posted By: RichMac Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/11/19 02:15 PM
Hi Herb,
Really enjoyed listening to your version of this.
Great to hear it without the yelling that often
accompanies it.
Cheers.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/11/19 03:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Herb,

This is really good listening. I love the mandolin.

Your vocals are very even in tone and volume and sit comfortably in amongst a really fine musical ensemble. In addition, your vocal clarity shines.

A first class arrangement, excellent performance and professional mix.... this one ticks all the boxes.

All the best,
Noel

Noel, thanks.... It's always been a favorite when it comes to hymns. Glad you enjoyed this too.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/11/19 03:20 PM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Good work, Herb. Love the string solo and singing was right on.

Thank you. I'm a sucker for mandolins and dobros..... I love those things. I need to tune up my mandolin and use it on some of my tunes when I get the time.
Posted By: Jim Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/11/19 05:25 PM
Nice rendition of this old tune...
You have done a great job on it!
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/11/19 06:31 PM
One of my favorite hymns. Great version of this classic. Love the mandolin and dobro. Like you, I have always been a sucker for them. I do agree with Floyd about the jangly electric guitar being just a tad too hot and piercing for your vocals. The backing vocals could come up just a tad. But really like what you did here!

Steve
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/11/19 09:13 PM
This too is one of my favorite hymns. I like your treatment here. Good energy!
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/12/19 01:59 AM
I really like what you did with the hymn! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/12/19 02:18 AM
Well done - really liked it. A very pleasant and warm balance of sounds.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/12/19 03:41 AM
Guitarhacker,

Crisp, clean and inviting sound to this . . . and a warm vocal. Real authentic sound to this one. Love that guitar solo. Nicely done!

All my best,

Deej
Posted By: dcuny Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/12/19 04:15 AM
Nice arrangement! The solos really shine here.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/12/19 10:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Marty Ricciotti
Love it Herb! Gonna download and listen in the car. I really like how you push your vocals but stop just short of running out of air. They have a really nice sound. A soothing sound to go wit this great hymn.

Thanks for the listen and the observations
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/12/19 10:32 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice take on a classic, vocals sound good!

Thank you for listening.... much appreciated
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/12/19 10:33 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
A nice even vocal. The mandolin and dorbro sound good. The organ works well.

The jangly electric guitar on the left side is too loud and high end heavy, so it competes with the vocal (and often overpowers it). Warming it up some and lowering the volume would give you some balance.

I really appreciate your listening skills. I updated a bit.... the jangly guitar is tamed..... but not entirely caged. A few dB down and roll off the highs.....
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/12/19 10:34 AM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Herb,
Really enjoyed listening to your version of this.
Great to hear it without the yelling that often
accompanies it.
Cheers.

I've never heard a version that involves yelling..... but that does sound rather interesting.....

Thanks for listening.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/12/19 10:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Jim
Nice rendition of this old tune...
You have done a great job on it!

Thank you Jim
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/12/19 10:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
One of my favorite hymns. Great version of this classic. Love the mandolin and dobro. Like you, I have always been a sucker for them. I do agree with Floyd about the jangly electric guitar being just a tad too hot and piercing for your vocals. The backing vocals could come up just a tad. But really like what you did here!

Steve

I tamed the guitar and bumped the vox tacks in the BG and harmony a few dB so they should be slightly more audible in the mix now....

Thanks for your observational skills.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/12/19 12:48 PM
Herb, I always find it very interesting to hear the old hymns arranged and sung in a new way with a different vocal phrasing of the words from the original traditional way of singing! I like it because it allows the listener to hear the lyrics in a fresh new way. Great job, especially hitting the high note in the chorus.! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: edshaw Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/12/19 02:59 PM
Oh, Herb, the updated 12/12 version is way improved over the first posted. Makes an interesting comment that a musician can go back into a song he has already done and tweak it, even thought the first sounded great at the time.
Compared with the first, the second no longer seems hurried or pressured, the consonants d-p-t always a challenge, were given the attention they deserved in the second version, and your natural tremolo vocal came through better. Enjoyed that.
I think Rich Mac has a point in that some contemporary gospel and Christian can be over the top. The genre remains sacred music.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/12/19 10:23 PM
I've never heard it done like this before; but I really wish I had. The younger version of me would have kept his eyes open MUCH better at church. smile

Well done. A really nice original take on a song we know. That can be really hard to pull off.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/13/19 01:59 PM
Nice take on a classic!

Enjoyed it.

J&B
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/13/19 02:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
This too is one of my favorite hymns. I like your treatment here. Good energy!

Thank you.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/13/19 02:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I really like what you did with the hymn! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you.... no problem...
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/13/19 02:53 PM
Originally Posted By: EdZ314
Well done - really liked it. A very pleasant and warm balance of sounds.

thank you for listening and commenting
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/13/19 02:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Guitarhacker,

Crisp, clean and inviting sound to this . . . and a warm vocal. Real authentic sound to this one. Love that guitar solo. Nicely done!

All my best,

Deej

Much appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/13/19 02:54 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Nice arrangement! The solos really shine here.

Something about the sound of mandolin and dobro.... on a country tune. THanks
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/14/19 12:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Herb, I always find it very interesting to hear the old hymns arranged and sung in a new way with a different vocal phrasing of the words from the original traditional way of singing! I like it because it allows the listener to hear the lyrics in a fresh new way. Great job, especially hitting the high note in the chorus.! Thanks, Torrey

Yes, I like to hear the old standards in a new, fresh perspective too. Thanks....
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/14/19 01:02 PM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Oh, Herb, the updated 12/12 version is way improved over the first posted. Makes an interesting comment that a musician can go back into a song he has already done and tweak it, even thought the first sounded great at the time.
Compared with the first, the second no longer seems hurried or pressured, the consonants d-p-t always a challenge, were given the attention they deserved in the second version, and your natural tremolo vocal came through better. Enjoyed that.
I think Rich Mac has a point in that some contemporary gospel and Christian can be over the top. The genre remains sacred music.

IN ham radio, we call this a "recheck".... very appreciative that you took the time to post your thoughts on version 2.0 If you're going to tweek something, the primary rule should be, don't break the original. Thanks for pointing out what you hear to be the improvements.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/14/19 01:03 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
I've never heard it done like this before; but I really wish I had. The younger version of me would have kept his eyes open MUCH better at church. smile

Well done. A really nice original take on a song we know. That can be really hard to pull off.

I have heard a version of this that I really love, but I don't recall who did it. Yep....quite a few of the old tunes lend themselves nicely to versions 2.0 and up..... Thank you.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/14/19 01:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Nice take on a classic!

Enjoyed it.

J&B

Glad you guys enjoyed this.... I might have to go looking for my Baptist hymnal.... it's around here somewhere, a do a few more. Thanks.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/14/19 01:41 PM
great production love this really done well thanks eric
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Old Hymn: How Great Thou Art - 12/18/19 08:05 PM
Really nicely done Herb!! I think the mic works great with your voice! Really like the band you put together. Everything sounds great to me!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums