PG Music Home
Posted By: Mr_Songman Nice to be back. - 12/11/19 03:01 AM
It's been 7 or 8 years since I've been on here, and about the same time since I picked up a guitar or recorded a track. So firstly, I would like to say thank you to all the great people on here who offered all their help, assistance and advice when I was here before. They helped me through a tough time. I would like to mention, in no particular order: PgFantastic, Noel96, rharv, MrEd, Steve Young, Sundance and MarioD for all their kind words and support. And of course Peter Gannon.
In case you're wondering it was of course a woman who turned me around and saved me. Only fair I suppose seeing as it was one that put me there in the first place! smile
Consequently, I 've written some new happy love songs, but I thought I'd return with an oldie. Hope you like it.

Equipment: Roland VS 1680
Digitech Vocalist VR
Yamaha MSP5 Monitors
Behringer MDX2600 NEW!
Rode NT1 Microphone
Art Studio V3 Pre Amp
Lurssen Mastering Console NEW!

Oops, I forgot this bit. "Been a long time baby"

Style is _FIDSOLG.STY (Slow Country Ballad)
RealTracks in style: ~518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~365:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~362:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~363:Pedal Steel, Background Ev 085
RealDrums [in style:NashvilleEven8^2-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=9484263

Posted By: floyd jane Re: Nice to be back. - 12/11/19 10:46 AM
Martin,

A good classic Country song and sound. Nice vocals.

Good mix. All sounds good.

fj
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Nice to be back. - 12/11/19 07:07 PM
Martin, great job on the vocals on this! Very nice classic Country sound here (that steel really carries it along)! Also, really good work on the background vocals! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Nice to be back. - 12/12/19 01:59 AM
What a way to make a comeback! Really great use of RealTracks. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Nice to be back. - 12/12/19 03:40 AM
Mr. Songman,

Really sweet vocal on this one—classic country tune. Admirable production—nice touches throughout. I think that couplet “He stood real close . . . then you both turned to leave” resonates and is heartbreaking. Something that's really relatable with anyone whose wanted someone who was with someone else. Sweetly done!

Best regards,

Deej
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Nice to be back. - 12/12/19 04:22 AM

Thanks for listening Floyd, I appreciate extra ears on my mix. That sounds weird! smile
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Nice to be back. - 12/12/19 04:24 AM
Hi Torrey, thanks for listening and the kind words. Much appreciated. smile
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Nice to be back. - 12/12/19 04:26 AM
Thanks ember - great to be back. Nice to be feeling the music again. The new BIAB is superb - after a lot of swearing and cursing because I couldn't find anything with the new GUI. All sorted now though. smile
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Nice to be back. - 12/12/19 04:31 AM
Hi Deej, and thank you for all your kind words. I posted this on a Facebook country group and was told my 'country warbling' was off putting. Has no idea I warbled.:) So it's reassuring that those on here found the vocal acceptable. Was a little concerned there.
Thanks again. smile
Posted By: dcuny Re: Nice to be back. - 12/12/19 04:34 AM
Great title! Love the harmony on the chorus.

I've got the Lurssen Mastering Console - I really love the "magic" it adds to my tracks.

I liked the song a lot. smile
Posted By: rayc Re: Nice to be back. - 12/12/19 05:08 AM
The vocal vibrato isn't any sort of issue when you're doing the bvox - they just blend the differences into a nice chorusing effect.
You could even it out on the single vocal section with software/plugins inside your DAW or you could double track all the vox to achieve the same effect as with the bvox.
What the "warble" does do is suggest age in the singer.
The song's a goodun..
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Nice to be back. - 12/12/19 05:06 PM
I enjoyed your comeback song; lots of emotion in the vocal ( and you have good pipes for country).The title and chorus line is familiar but still an original take on the theme of heartbreak.
Nice clear production.

Robert
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Nice to be back. - 12/13/19 04:47 AM
Hi dcuny,
Thanks for listening and the kind words. Agree with you about the Lurssen, has made such a difference to my final sound. Don't know about you but I tend to use only two settings, Americana Tight warmer or Pop Rock Tight warmer, and then fine tune those.

Thanks again.:)
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Nice to be back. - 12/13/19 04:52 AM
Hi rayc,

Thanks for listening and the info. I don't use a DAW, but I have been experimenting and I can easily correct the "warble" that old age has allowed to creep in by simple vocal control. This is why one needs feedback. I hadn't noticed it myself.
Guess that's an age thing as well smile

Thanks for the explanation, makes perfect sense.

My new motto: "Watch the Warble!" smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Nice to be back. - 12/13/19 01:23 PM
We're always in for a bit of classic country and this one is well done.

A genre, amongst others, that we both grew up with.

Welcome back...we came on board about the time you left...

Enjoyed it.

J&B
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Nice to be back. - 12/13/19 01:37 PM
Hi Janice, Hi Bud,

Thanks for taking a listen. I do all kinds of Country but, like you, I have a tender spot for the Traditional. And still a good market to pitch songs to. Always someone looking for a good classic Country tune.

It's great to be back. I hope you're not going to leave now!!! smile smile smile

Take Care.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Nice to be back. - 12/13/19 01:41 PM
Nah, we'll hang around smile
BTW, our last post J&B post "Written" was about as classic country as you can get IMHO.
A fading genre but one that produced a wealth of great and memorable tunes.

J&B
Posted By: Jim Re: Nice to be back. - 12/13/19 02:03 PM
Great to hear another member doing a classic heart break song...
I really enjoyed listening...

BTW...
Welcome back...
I look forward to hearing more of your tunes!
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Nice to be back. - 12/14/19 11:29 AM
Hi Robertkc, Thanks for listening and the kind comments. Pleased about the production comment. smile
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Nice to be back. - 12/14/19 11:33 AM
Hi Jim,
Thanks for listening. I do most styles of Country and everything else but, like you, I am a sucker for a classic country heartbreak song.
And I've got lot's of them!!! smile
© PG Music Forums