PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/07/20 12:55 PM
See See Rider

The US has the strictest copyright laws in the known universe smile but the law was changed two years ago. Now every January 1 (Public Domain Day!) works that are 75 years old become PD. So, for 2020, songs published in 1924 are no longer copyrighted, are in the PD and artists own 100% of the rights to their arrangement.

BTW, if you are interested in this year's PD entries this article lists them along with other info:
2020 PD Info

To celebrate PD Day and the New Year we chose one of the new PD songs, Ma Rainey’s “See See Rider,” for an early 60’s rock arrangement. It’s been done in many styles…big band, blues, rock, R&B and more. Laverne Baker, The Animals and Mitch Ryder had hits with it.

We asked Peter if he’d like to join in on guitar and, catching us completely by pleasant surprise, he sent three styles including this Chuck Berry like version. The other two were great but the Chuck track seemed to nail that early 60’s garage band feel we were aiming for (and we are big CB fans).

So here’s something a bit different from our bluesy based stuff and we hope you like it. Thanks to BiaB for making this bit of fun possible! Your time to both listen and comment is always appreciated.

© 2020 Public Domain B. Merritt / J. Merritt / P. Fulham

Janice: Lead vocals and background vocals > Rodes NT1 > Scarlett 212 > Logic Pro X EQ > Waves CLA Vocals

Peter: Guitar solos and fills > whatever the man does smile

Drums: RockClassicBrit > Waves CLA Drums
Doubled snare: From the RockClassicBrit kit > Waves CLA Drums
Handclaps: Four tracks > Logic Pro X Chromaverb
Thanks to floyd for the loops.

Bass: RT 1010 BritInvasion > rendered DI > Logic Pro Bass Amp Sim > Waves CLA Bass

Guitar Rhythm: RT499 StoneZ Flash 1
Guitar Rhythm: RT505 StoneZ Flash 2

Piano Rhythm: Midi SuperTrack 1796 BritBluesInvasionJohn > Logic Pro X Grand Steinway sound > Logic Pro X Direction Mixer > CLA Unplugged > Waves Imager

Mastering: Logic Pro X > Logic Pro X EQ > Waves LinMB > Waves L2 Maximizer > YouLean Loudness Meter

Posted By: ROG Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/07/20 01:10 PM
Hi there J&B plus Peter,

Well, you just can't beat a good bit of Rock&Roll.

Everything kicking and in gear with Janice's signature vocal setting the thing alight.

Great bit of guitar from Peter - that R&R style is in danger of dying out, because so few
people can play it and even less are teaching it. Good to hear it done so well.

Mix sounds good, Bud, but still struggling a bit with my hearing - I've been told it can
take up to six months to get completely right.

Certainly livened up my afternoon.

Cheers, ROG.
I suspected you guys might jump on this one when I saw it was due to be released to the public domain smile

Nice take on it, I like the rock and roll approach! I've heard many versions over the years, but mostly as a blues both slow and uptempo.

Man, Janice sounds great!

And Peter totally nails those Chuck Berry type licks.

Excellent job on the mix, Bud, sounds great through both the 'phones and the KRK's.

Big smile on my face here, well done you three!
Posted By: Scott C Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/07/20 05:24 PM
There’s a song from my past. I had a listen last night. Awesome version of the song. Super vocal and super mix. Peter just nailed the guitar. Well done
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi there J&B plus Peter,

Everything kicking and in gear with Janice's signature vocal setting the thing alight.

Great bit of guitar from Peter - that R&R style is in danger of dying out, because so few

Mix sounds good, Bud, but still struggling a bit with my hearing - I've been told it can

Cheers, ROG.

Hey ROG, thanks for the kind remarks...and coming from a rock guy they mean even more to us.

Super cool you liked Peter’s guitar. It was perfect for the song we think.

Glad you are back around, love your new song and happy new year!

J&B
I remember this one......I think the Youngbloods did a version in the late 60's. Very cool!! Seems that you guys were waiting for it to go PD....wasted no time! Janice sounds great!! AND Peter does one heck of a Chuck Berry tribute!! Love it!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: rayc Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/07/20 08:29 PM
Love a bit of a chuckle in the morning.
This is fab.
A VERY heavy boogie version of this song was big in Australia in the early 70s.
Well done everyone.
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I suspected you guys might jump on this one when I saw it was due to be released to the public domain smile

Nice take on it, I like the rock and roll approach! I've heard many versions over the years, but mostly as a blues both slow and uptempo.

Excellent job on the mix, Bud, sounds great through both the 'phones and the KRK's.

Thank you Dave. Yep we discussed this one back in the fall smile I’ve been encouraging Janice to belt one out and I thought she pulled it off really well with only a couple of takes. And a big thanks for the comments on the mix. Our first all Waves production! Peter did nail those licks!

J&B
Posted By: Deej56 Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/08/20 01:25 AM
Janice, Bud, and Peter,

Just freakin' killer. Love the Berry vibe--such a sweet, rocking guitar solo. Can't help but tap the foot and rock the head on this one. Very cool!

Best regards,

Deej
Tapping my feet and dancing with a BIG smile on my face. Good job!!! Well worth waiting for it to be in the public domain so you guys could do the arrangement! :-) Hats off :-)
Posted By: PeterF Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/08/20 08:08 AM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi there J&B plus Peter,

Cheers, ROG.

Rog
Enjoyed being a part of this one. Thanks for commenting on the guitar part. Good luck with the hearing.
Peter
Originally Posted By: Scott C
There’s a song from my past. I had a listen last night. Awesome version of the song. Super vocal and super mix. Peter just nailed the guitar. Well done

Thanks Scott!

J&B
Nice work on this - a great groove, and as someone mentioned earlier you can't beat a solid rock n' roll tune. I love how fast faced and energetic it is.

Thanks for sharing smile
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
I remember this one......I think the Youngbloods did a version in the late 60's. Very cool!! Seems that you guys were waiting for it to go PD....wasted no time! Janice sounds great!! AND Peter does one heck of a Chuck Berry tribute!! Love it!! Take care. Greg

Yeah, we had it on the radar! Glad you liked it Greg.

J&B
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/08/20 06:22 PM
This is really well done.
You guys have added your own touch to this great tune.
May have ago at it my self.
Congrats to all and thanks for posting.
All the best.Rob4580
Posted By: Jim Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/08/20 09:20 PM
You & Janice & Peter have done a tremendous job on this tune...
Loved listening to your rendition!

Good work & a great collaboration...
Thanks for making my day so much brighter!
For me it is like a new song. I don't think I know the original or maybe I just don't recognize it.

Anyway it is a fabulous song you have recorded here, very true to the Chuck Berry style which I listened a lot to when I was a child... that is how I learned about Rock'n Roll.

The vocal is wonderful, the guitar work great... and the mix is outstanding. Just a perfect track, like so many times before from you guys!

Will
This is good and bad.

Good- I like what you guys did with that.

Bad- I hate that all my hits will not be protected in 2075.

Ooops........I have no hits..............never mind
Great version, can't go wrong with pipes like that and pro production to boot. I noticed Nessun Dorma is on the list of 2020 PD songs, any chance we'll be hearing a version of that? ; )
Posted By: Birchwood Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/09/20 08:24 AM
Hi Janice and Bud,

A very nice performed rock and roller, that's for sure!
You gave the song a lot of sparks, Janice.
Listened it several times, while tapping my feet 'though it was still around 10 o'clock.
Must be something wrong with me, I'm afraid.
I enjoyed it,

Hans
Originally Posted By: rayc
This is fab.
Well done everyone.

Thanks Ray!

J&B
I really like this version. good playing and singing by all involved.

Rock me on down the road.....
PB&J,

All the stellar aspect of this hit you in a quick sequence.
The lead guitar. Oh yeah!
The drums! Love that snappy snare!
That bass. Pumpin'. Clean and crisp, yet fat.
That piano. Ahhhh...
Then last and by NO means least (most actually)...That Vocal!

An impeccable mix.

Cool claps.

Peter's lead is awesome. Truly sharing the stage with that amazing vocal.

A little bump in the overall energy around the 2 minute mark. Perfect.

One of your best.

Music. Pure and simple.

fj
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Janice, Bud, and Peter,

Just freakin' killer. Love the Berry vibe--such a sweet, rocking guitar solo. Can't help but tap the foot and rock the head on this one. Very cool!

Best regards,

Deej

Thanks for the listen and supportive comments. Much appreciated

J&B
Originally Posted By: musician17
Tapping my feet and dancing with a BIG smile on my face. Good job!!! Well worth waiting for it to be in the public domain so you guys could do the arrangement! :-) Hats off :-)

Big smiles are good! Thank you.

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/10/20 06:14 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Thanks Dave appreciate the comments.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nice work on this - a great groove, and as someone mentioned earlier you can't beat a solid rock n' roll tune. I love how fast faced and energetic it is.

Thanks for sharing smile

Thank you Deryk. Glad you like the energy!

J&B
I love your version of the song!

Peter's guitar is kicking, and so is Janice's vocal performance.

Great production. Smashing all around!
Posted By: MarioD Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/10/20 09:41 PM
Good ol' kick @ss Rock n Roll, loved it.

You had me before the intro was finished. Great guitar work, super groove, great mix, and, as usual, outstanding vocals.

My foot was tapping and my face smiling all through this.
Hi Janice, hi Bud,

WHAT A TREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially for a guy who can celebrate his own "See See Rider" anniversary this year: I think that it was exactly 50 years ago that I played that very song publically myself for the first time, followed by many more occasions: Because it was, is and will always be one of my favorite American classics.

How good a song is can easiyly be told by the number of good versions and this one can really present a long list of famous names - you named but a few.

And this is the truth and nothing but the truth: You did not just do another cover, but really added a top-notch version to that list. The version you linked to is so custum-made for Janice - Janice, the energy you're putting into the vocal part is amazing. And the harmony singing - no-one can do that the way you do: just grand.

Looking at the 'band' I had to smile: Those Keith Richard styles have become almost indispensable for me! When arranging an uptempo song it's always a good idea to have a look at them...

Peter, great playing as we've become used to long before - you really showing us where it's at again and again.

Maybe I overlooked something, but I couldn't find the Chuck Berry version that I'm very keen to listen to. Without the existence of that great guy I'd probably be playing glockenspiel in a Bavarian traditional band.

Ah no...

Janice, Bud: Please do not let this genre slide: Both of you are far too good at it.

Thanks fir that wonderful production and all the best,

Stefan
Posted By: BillyRay Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/11/20 09:29 AM
Excellent! Actual rock n roll :-)
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
All the best.Rob4580

Thanks! Look forward to where you might take it!

J&B
Posted By: dcuny Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/11/20 03:59 PM
Great balls of fire! It starts out the gate blazing and doesn't let up.

Excellent vocals, guitar solo, energy, mix... that hold at 0:58 is such a great setup for the guitar solo, and the claps at 1:58 push into the last section.

Fantastic job by everyone.

I almost picked up the CLA toolkit at the last Waves sale, just because your mixes sound so awesome. Of course, the real "secret sauce" is Bud and the band. smile
Originally Posted By: Jim

Thanks Jim. If we made your day brighter then mission accomplished!

J&B
Wonderful!! It's firing on all cylinders! Vocals are beautiful! Guitar is perfect for the feel of the song! Great!!! Thanks, Torrey
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
For me it is like a new song. I don't think I know the original or maybe I just don't recognize it.

Anyway it is a fabulous song you have recorded here, very true to the Chuck Berry style which I listened a lot to when I was a child... that is how I learned about Rock'n Roll.

The vocal is wonderful, the guitar work great... and the mix is outstanding. Just a perfect track, like so many times before from you guys!

Will

Thanks Will! We appreciate you mentioning the vocals and the guitar and the mix. Not something we do often but we hoped to Rock ‘n Roll. And your comments made us feel like we accomplished it!

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/12/20 07:21 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
This is fab.
Well done everyone.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Originally Posted By: Scott C

Thanks for the comments. Appreciate the reviews.
Peter
Great song! Great job, guys! Janice, your vocals are always tops. Great job on the guitars, Peter.

I got to know Wayne Cochran, back in the early 80's when I was in Houston. Was privileged to get to play with him a couple times. He was one of the pioneers of Rock n Roll, and his rendition of this song was an inspiration for Elvis to start singing it. Wayne was a fun, and crazy guy. He passed away back in 2017. This song always reminds me of him.

Really enjoyed your rendition!

Steve
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
This is good and bad.

Good- I like what you guys did with that.

Bad- I hate that all my hits will not be protected in 2075.

Ooops........I have no hits..............never mind

Thanks Cap’n!

J&B
Posted By: jannesan Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/13/20 01:44 PM
Great rocking groove, Peter's playing is awesome and Janice is at her best. Excellent mix, especially the drums sound powerful.

Janne
Hi Janice and Bud

I do not think I am qualified to provide any critique other that I loved your version, well done and Peter's riffs was absolutely spot on. To my ears and heart, a fantastic tribute to PD day and a testament to your skill as musicians

Regards

Chris
Posted By: PeterF Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/13/20 10:06 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Janice, Bud, and Peter,

Best regards,

Deej

Thanks much appreciated.

Peter
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Great version, can't go wrong with pipes like that and pro production to boot. I noticed Nessun Dorma is on the list of 2020 PD songs, any chance we'll be hearing a version of that? ; )

I seriously doubt it smile

Thanks for listening and commenting. Glad you liked it!

J&B
Posted By: Robertkc Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/14/20 02:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm

Plus 1 to that- an absolutely irresistible rock revival sound.

Robert
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Janice and Bud,

A very nice performed rock and roller, that's for sure!
You gave the song a lot of sparks, Janice.
Listened it several times, while tapping my feet 'though it was still around 10 o'clock.
Must be something wrong with me, I'm afraid.
I enjoyed it,

Hans

Hahaha! Glad it got you moving. Thanks!

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/15/20 11:28 PM
All the best.Rob4580

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music

Thanks for sharing smile

Thanks a lot for the comments.

Peter
Posted By: Al-David Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/16/20 01:07 AM
WOW! You three created some stellar and powerful sounds here. What a great tribute to 60's rock ... my favorite decade for the genre. Peter's guitar work is second to none ... simply fantastic! And you guys already know my thoughts about Janice's "to-die-for" vocals. Her pipes are so sweet and true ... she has a real gift. And Bud ... you are a knob-turner supreme. Those Nashville, LA, Atlanta and New York producers don't have a trick you don't know .. and that you do way better than they do.

That was a treat with extra sugar and icing. I'm always left in awe of your productions. You folks give music a very good name. Best to all three of you ...

Alan
Posted By: Henkem Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/16/20 06:58 AM
This is awesome. Isn't it wonderful how these instruments could produce such a melodious music. Music is life indeed!
Posted By: bluage Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/16/20 04:02 PM
Dear Ms. Merritt, 'Bud', 'PeterF' and...did I miss anyone cool ???

OOO-wee, now, that was the rocking-est version of See See Rider that these here ears ever did listen to !!!

Ms. Merritt, your vocal performance was so exuberant that I shouted out, "You go, gurl !!! I imagined you hoppin' n' boppin' all 'round the studio during PeterF's solo.

'PeterF', I smelled smoke comin' from your fingers as you set them strings on fire. Hope you had a bucket a' water handy to cool things off a li'l bit.

'Bud', as always, every sound of every instrument, musical as well as vocal, comes through a set of speakers like a house party held on a rooftop. Go on wit' cho' ba-a-a-d self !!!

Only time I ever heard this song before listening to you all's version, was on a Verve album from the 60's titled 'The Essential Jazz Vocalists" featuring Big Bill Broonzy on gee-tar and vocals. It was the sound of the most lonesome blues your heart could stand. It's amazing how a song performed in one style can be re-imagined and performed in a totally different genre, ain't it???

See you later, 'See See Rider' smile !!!

LOREN

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I really like this version. good playing and singing by all involved.

Rock me on down the road.....

Thanks Herb! That ain’t a bad road to go down smile

J&B

Thanks! Glad you like our interpretation.

J&B
Well , now what's to say I have been pre occupied for a while and catching up with the user forum .

And then I come across this , I've never made a secret on my love of Janice's vocals, now isn't an exception ! not at all , loved this and your work bud is what puts it all together, because you know each other other so well …Sonny and Cher ..Yes .. Honestly.. only with LOVE.

Thanks
Posted By: PeterF Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/18/20 08:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef

Will

Originally Posted By: Jim

All the best.Rob4580

Thanks for all the positive feedback - much appreciated.

Peter
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
PB&J,

All the stellar aspect of this hit you in a quick sequence.
The lead guitar. Oh yeah!
The drums! Love that snappy snare!
That bass. Pumpin'. Clean and crisp, yet fat.
That piano. Ahhhh...
Then last and by NO means least (most actually)...That Vocal!

An impeccable mix.

Cool claps.

Peter's lead is awesome. Truly sharing the stage with that amazing vocal.

A little bump in the overall energy around the 2 minute mark. Perfect.

One of your best.

Music. Pure and simple.

fj

Thanks for continuing to make us feel we are on the right track with this music thing.
Your encouragement and counsel makes it easier for us to consider these "venture out"
productions.

I (Bud) never dreamed my bluegrass gal would be singing like this smile

We appreciate every word you wrote.

J&B

PS: Thanks for handclaps smile
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Good ol' kick @ss Rock n Roll, loved it.

You had me before the intro was finished. Great guitar work, super groove, great mix, and, as usual, outstanding vocals.

My foot was tapping and my face smiling all through this.

Thanks Mario. One for us ole pharts I guess! smile
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Janice, hi Bud,

WHAT A TREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially for a guy who can celebrate his own "See See Rider" anniversary this year: I think that it was exactly 50 years ago that I played that very song publically myself for the first time, followed by many more occasions: Because it was, is and will always be one of my favorite American classics.

How good a song is can easiyly be told by the number of good versions and this one can really present a long list of famous names - you named but a few.

And this is the truth and nothing but the truth: You did not just do another cover, but really added a top-notch version to that list. The version you linked to is so custum-made for Janice - Janice, the energy you're putting into the vocal part is amazing. And the harmony singing - no-one can do that the way you do: just grand.

Looking at the 'band' I had to smile: Those Keith Richard styles have become almost indispensable for me! When arranging an uptempo song it's always a good idea to have a look at them...

Peter, great playing as we've become used to long before - you really showing us where it's at again and again.

Maybe I overlooked something, but I couldn't find the Chuck Berry version that I'm very keen to listen to. Without the existence of that great guy I'd probably be playing glockenspiel in a Bavarian traditional band.

Ah no...

Janice, Bud: Please do not let this genre slide: Both of you are far too good at it.

Thanks fir that wonderful production and all the best,

Stefan

Thank you so much and it's cool that you played this song back in the day! I don't think there is a Chuck Berry version of the song...that was completely Peter's idea to play that style on it. We had no idea until he sent it to us smile

Janice very much appreciates your kind remarks about her vocal.

Thanks for your time to listen, comments and support!!

J&B
Posted By: Andyman Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/21/20 03:22 PM
Very nicely done rock n' roll version of this classic song. Very tasty guitar (there's no substitute for the real thing), and excellent vocals.
Originally Posted By: BillyRay
Excellent! Actual rock n roll :-)

Thanks!

J&B

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Great balls of fire! It starts out the gate blazing and doesn't let up.

Excellent vocals, guitar solo, energy, mix... that hold at 0:58 is such a great setup for the guitar solo, and the claps at 1:58 push into the last section.

Fantastic job by everyone.

I almost picked up the CLA toolkit at the last Waves sale, just because your mixes sound so awesome. Of course, the real "secret sauce" is Bud and the band. smile

You are too kind. Thanks! Those Waves plugins are great. Go for it!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Wonderful!! It's firing on all cylinders! Vocals are beautiful! Guitar is perfect for the feel of the song! Great!!! Thanks, Torrey

We appreciate that!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Great song! Great job, guys! Janice, your vocals are always tops. Great job on the guitars, Peter.

I got to know Wayne Cochran, back in the early 80's when I was in Houston. Was privileged to get to play with him a couple times. He was one of the pioneers of Rock n Roll, and his rendition of this song was an inspiration for Elvis to start singing it. Wayne was a fun, and crazy guy. He passed away back in 2017. This song always reminds me of him.

Really enjoyed your rendition!

Steve

Thank you Steve. Janice's brother mentioned Wayne Cochran when he heard the song. And I've very recently read about him in "The History Of Rock And Roll Volume 1" that I just finished.

Glad it brought some memories!

J&B
Posted By: Tangmo Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 01/24/20 05:55 AM
I think Janice was born to sing this song, and Peter to play. Wonderful backing band provided by the Box. High energy that built to the end. And it all sounds good on the phones, volume UP (as if there was another setting for this number).
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Great rocking groove, Peter's playing is awesome and Janice is at her best. Excellent mix, especially the drums sound powerful.

Janne

Thanks Janne and more thanks for mentioning the drums!

J&B

Originally Posted By: WobblyGstring
Hi Janice and Bud

I do not think I am qualified to provide any critique other that I loved your version, well done and Peter's riffs was absolutely spot on. To my ears and heart, a fantastic tribute to PD day and a testament to your skill as musicians

Regards

Chris

Thank you Chris. We appreciate your time to listen and comment!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Robertkc

Plus 1 to that- an absolutely irresistible rock revival sound.

Robert

Thanks Robert!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Al-David
WOW! You three created some stellar and powerful sounds here. What a great tribute to 60's rock ... my favorite decade for the genre. Peter's guitar work is second to none ... simply fantastic! And you guys already know my thoughts about Janice's "to-die-for" vocals. Her pipes are so sweet and true ... she has a real gift. And Bud ... you are a knob-turner supreme. Those Nashville, LA, Atlanta and New York producers don't have a trick you don't know .. and that you do way better than they do.

That was a treat with extra sugar and icing. I'm always left in awe of your productions. You folks give music a very good name. Best to all three of you ...

Alan

Thanks for such nice comments! We love that period of rock also. We are currently reading the two volume “The History Of Rock And Roll” which covers this period so well. Highly recommended.

J&B
Originally Posted By: Henkem
This is awesome. Isn't it wonderful how these instruments could produce such a melodious music. Music is life indeed!

Yes it is! Thanks.

J&B

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Well , now what's to say I have been pre occupied for a while and catching up with the user forum .

And then I come across this , I've never made a secret on my love of Janice's vocals, now isn't an exception ! not at all , loved this and your work bud is what puts it all together, because you know each other other so well …Sonny and Cher ..Yes .. Honestly.. only with LOVE.

Thanks

Thank you so much and yes LOVE with us is it...indeed!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Andyman
Very nicely done rock n' roll version of this classic song. Very tasty guitar (there's no substitute for the real thing), and excellent vocals.

Thanks! And, yep, Peter laid it down!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
I think Janice was born to sing this song, and Peter to play. Wonderful backing band provided by the Box. High energy that built to the end. And it all sounds good on the phones, volume UP (as if there was another setting for this number).

Thanks! Bud had to nudge Janice a wee bit to get her to rock! But she nailed it on a single take smile

J&B
Originally Posted By: bluage
Dear Ms. Merritt, 'Bud', 'PeterF' and...did I miss anyone cool ???

OOO-wee, now, that was the rocking-est version of See See Rider that these here ears ever did listen to !!!

Ms. Merritt, your vocal performance was so exuberant that I shouted out, "You go, gurl !!! I imagined you hoppin' n' boppin' all 'round the studio during PeterF's solo.

'PeterF', I smelled smoke comin' from your fingers as you set them strings on fire. Hope you had a bucket a' water handy to cool things off a li'l bit.

'Bud', as always, every sound of every instrument, musical as well as vocal, comes through a set of speakers like a house party held on a rooftop. Go on wit' cho' ba-a-a-d self !!!

Only time I ever heard this song before listening to you all's version, was on a Verve album from the 60's titled 'The Essential Jazz Vocalists" featuring Big Bill Broonzy on gee-tar and vocals. It was the sound of the most lonesome blues your heart could stand. It's amazing how a song performed in one style can be re-imagined and performed in a totally different genre, ain't it???

See you later, 'See See Rider' smile !!!

LOREN

Thanks Loren. It was fun figuring out what style to use. Judy Garland did a show tune style while Brenda Lee did a rockabilly version. Lotta room between those two!

As always your descriptions are priceless and we appreciate every word!

J&B
Posted By: Noel96 Re: See See Rider (feat: PeterF on guitar) - 02/21/20 06:50 PM
Janice, Bud and Peter.

I'm very late to the party with this one! I don't know how I missed it. Fortunately, being late doesn't reduce the "Oh wow! This is a ride and half" kind of thoughts running through my mind as I listened.

This is an incredible arrangement! And Janice's vocals coupled with Peter's guitar work send it soaring sky high. Two minutes and forty-three seconds of pure delight! Right from the start I was pulled into the mix and what I was hearing just kept on getting better and better and better. This presentation radiated that hard-to-attain listenability factor everwhere!

Janice... you are incredible. Honestly. I'm breathless now after listening to you sing. I cannot think of a better way for me to start Saturday!

Thank you all for a lively and highly enjoyable musical treat.

All the best,
Noel
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Janice, Bud and Peter.

I'm very late to the party with this one! I don't know how I missed it. Fortunately, being late doesn't reduce the "Oh wow! This is a ride and half" kind of thoughts running through my mind as I listened.

This is an incredible arrangement! And Janice's vocals coupled with Peter's guitar work send it soaring sky high. Two minutes and forty-three seconds of pure delight! Right from the start I was pulled into the mix and what I was hearing just kept on getting better and better and better. This presentation radiated that hard-to-attain listenability factor everwhere!

Janice... you are incredible. Honestly. I'm breathless now after listening to you sing. I cannot think of a better way for me to start Saturday!

Thank you all for a lively and highly enjoyable musical treat.

All the best,
Noel

And reading this was a great way to start our Friday evening! Your thoughtful and very generous comments offer more support than you can imagine.

Thank you!

J&B
© PG Music Forums