PG Music Home
Posted By: Mr_Songman Waiting For The Last Train - 01/08/20 04:50 AM
Hi all,

I found this on my old hard drive recently and tried to clean it up with Lurssen and this is the best I could do.

It was written and recorded in 1996 and as I remember the equipment used was:

A Tascam 8 track cassette recorder
A Zoom multi effects guitar pedal, can't remember which.
A digital vocalist processor of some sort.
An AKG 190ES mic - I still have it. smile

BIAB was all midi then. I have no idea what style was used but I think I only ended up using the bass guitar and drum tracks

The acoustic, played by co-writer Mick, was a Yamaha Electro Acoustic as I remember.
The rest is my ol' Fender Strat.

Having listened again I think it's worth an update.

It's a little long. I'm guessing this was the album version. smile

All comments welcome as usual. Bear in mind I know the recording is not top notch. smile

https://soundcloud.com/martin_crombie/waiting-for-the-last-train

Posted By: rayc Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/08/20 07:50 AM
That's a really good song but I'd suggest retracking/building from scratch would be the go.
The naked midi bass at the beginning really dates the recording.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/08/20 08:06 AM
Good song!

I agree, it would be well worth spending some time on a remake, realtracks/realdrums would really make this shine.
Posted By: musician17 Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/08/20 08:11 AM
This is really beautiful and, despite the dated MIDI, etc., there is the unmistakable hand of a professional here, in my view - in the writing, the singing/playing AND in the production sides of this track. Loved it. I'm not an expert (to put it mildly!) in the production side of things, so I can't give a proper opinion there (apart from the above) - but, that aside, what a great, great, great job ... for me, especially on the writing side of things. It would not be at all out of place on the radio - well done.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/08/20 12:19 PM
Nicely done - a really good usage of MIDI, and really shows it's flexibility. Nicely catchy with a good groove also.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/08/20 07:16 PM
Nothing to lose by doing a rewrite.
Nice tune reminds of the seventies.
Rob4580
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/08/20 08:05 PM
Hi Martin,

This is my kind of music! I love mid-tempo 8-beats smile It's a musicscape I find myself returning to time and time again in my own writing.

This is definitely worth re-doing. It would be interesting to see where Realtracks and Realdrums take this. As I was listening, I could hear a bossanova style working for this.

It's always good hearing things from yesteryear. It's makes me appreciate just what we have today and how incredible technology is.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Jim Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/08/20 09:43 PM
Good song Martin...
I loved listening to it!

However...
Unless you just want to do an update...
I don't think I would change anything...
Its a recording showing where you were in 1996!

If you do an update...
It would be like Dylan rerecording Dylan...
Or Leadbelly rerecording Leadbelly...
I like their songs...
Rough edges & all...
Just my opinion.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/08/20 10:09 PM
Wow, loved it, sounded like any number of hits from the mid 1960s. Those vocals are SO good! Guitar too. Yes, I'd love to hear what RealTracks could do for this. Great work!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/08/20 10:20 PM
Great song! Definitely worth a remake.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/08/20 11:23 PM
Noth'n wrong with dust'n off one from yesteryear.

It's got some good bones.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/10/20 01:17 PM
The production quality doesn't matter at all to me when a good song shines through. This is very catchy, especially the chorus remained playing in my head after the first listening. The midi and real instruments give it nice nostalgic vibe. I surely would have liked this a lot during the 90's, kind of a soundtrack song. The solo works very well.

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/10/20 01:37 PM
Great find!

There's plenty there to illustrate all the goodness of the tune with
the cool vocal and guitar performances...and the write.

And assuredly it's worth the time and effort should you decide on
a redo.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/10/20 05:42 PM
Martin,

Excellent tune! I think it is a very good candidate to re-master using RT's/Rd's. Thank you for sharing!
Misha.
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/11/20 04:37 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
The production quality doesn't matter at all to me when a good song shines through. This is very catchy, especially the chorus remained playing in my head after the first listening. The midi and real instruments give it nice nostalgic vibe. I surely would have liked this a lot during the 90's, kind of a soundtrack song. The solo works very well.

Janne

Hi Janne, thanks for listening. Yeah I still like it. I thought it was fascination to see how I've moved on recording wise. Be interesting to see how it updates, both technically relevantly. smile

Thanks again.

Martin
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/11/20 04:38 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Good song!

I agree, it would be well worth spending some time on a remake, realtracks/realdrums would really make this shine.

Thank you Dave. Yes I think it's worth an update!
Thanks for listening. smile

Martin
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/11/20 04:41 AM
Originally Posted By: musician17
This is really beautiful and, despite the dated MIDI, etc., there is the unmistakable hand of a professional here, in my view - in the writing, the singing/playing AND in the production sides of this track. Loved it. I'm not an expert (to put it mildly!) in the production side of things, so I can't give a proper opinion there (apart from the above) - but, that aside, what a great, great, great job ... for me, especially on the writing side of things. It would not be at all out of place on the radio - well done.

Hi Musician17, And thank you so much for your kind comments. I'm glad you like it. Production wise, I'm no expert either, though many on this forum have helped me to improve greatly over the years. But I do have a lot more and better quality toys to play with now, which helps a lot.

Thanks for the listen:

Martin
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/11/20 04:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nicely done - a really good usage of MIDI, and really shows it's flexibility. Nicely catchy with a good groove also.

Thanks for sharing smile

Hi Deryk and thanks for the listen and the kind word.

Martin
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/11/20 04:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Nothing to lose by doing a rewrite.
Nice tune reminds of the seventies.
Rob4580

Hi Rob, thanks for listening. I think so too! smile

Martin
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/11/20 04:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Martin,

This is my kind of music! I love mid-tempo 8-beats smile It's a musicscape I find myself returning to time and time again in my own writing.

This is definitely worth re-doing. It would be interesting to see where Realtracks and Realdrums take this. As I was listening, I could hear a bossanova style working for this.

It's always good hearing things from yesteryear. It's makes me appreciate just what we have today and how incredible technology is.

All the best,
Noel

Hi Noel,

Thanks for listening. I'm with you on this kind of music. And yes, it will be great to see what Realtracks can do with this. I've come a long way both in recording craft and technology.

Here's to the future

Take care.

Martin
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/11/20 04:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Jim
Good song Martin...
I loved listening to it!

However...

If you do an update...
I like their songs...
Rough edges & all...
Just my opinion.

Hi Jim, thanks for the time, glad you enjoyed it. You're right with the 1996 comment and I will always keep it, but as my songs are to pitch to publishers, an update in sound quality if nothing else is necessary I feel.
Having said that, this will always be my favourite version, rough edges and all.

Thanks again

Martin
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/11/20 04:55 AM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Wow, loved it, sounded like any number of hits from the mid 1960s. Those vocals are SO good! Guitar too. Yes, I'd love to hear what RealTracks could do for this. Great work!

Hi TM, thanks for listening and your kind comments. So glad you liked it.

Martin
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/11/20 04:57 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Great song! Definitely worth a remake.

Hi Mario,

Thanks for listening. Glad you liked it. Wasn't bad for a beginner was it.:)

Martin
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/13/20 07:18 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
That's a really good song but I'd suggest retracking/building from scratch would be the go.
The naked midi bass at the beginning really dates the recording.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the listen. Yes definitely need to start from scratch but the ideas are there I think. I think pretty much everything dates this recording. smile

Thanks again

Martin
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/13/20 07:21 AM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Noth'n wrong with dust'n off one from yesteryear.

It's got some good bones.

Thank you Cap'n for the listen. I've been finding some great 'oldies' on my old drive. I'd almost forgotten some of them.

Martin
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/13/20 04:34 PM
A nice "pop radio" kind of melody and vocals fitting that.

As noted by many, a version using what you have available today would be a worthwhile endeavor...(the bass is a bit "overbearing").
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/13/20 04:59 PM
Martin,

I enjoyed the song... and especially the vocal.Well worth a revisit (and a slight trim
lenghtwise).

Robert
Posted By: Jim Re: Waiting For The Last Train - 01/15/20 10:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Mr_Songman
Originally Posted By: Jim
Good song Martin...
I loved listening to it!

However...

If you do an update...
I like their songs...
Rough edges & all...
Just my opinion.

Hi Jim, thanks for the time, glad you enjoyed it. You're right with the 1996 comment and I will always keep it, but as my songs are to pitch to publishers, an update in sound quality if nothing else is necessary I feel.
Having said that, this will always be my favourite version, rough edges and all.

Thanks again

Martin

After I listened to "I'm Not"...
I came back to hear this one again...

Yeah...
You do have quite a knack for crafting pleasant sounding tunes!
© PG Music Forums