PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Lost Soul - 01/11/20 10:27 PM
Lost Soul

A lost soul just wandering around, wasting his life. Sometimes he will hit a high but immediately falls back to wandering and wishing his life away. He never does reach happiness.

BiaB styles:
Main style = Oreg Slow - Slow New Age World-B - deleted the strings and drums
Drum style - -NSE16^2.styl - Nashville Even 16
String Style - Question.styl - Smooth Jazz

Instrumentation
Bass = AmpleBass Upright - effect = compression
Piano - EZKeys - Dream Machine
Strings - Kurt Hunters Diamond Orchestra - Pizzicato
Drums - Presonus GM kit
I played my wind controller using Screaming Trumpet sound source

I used reverb on all but the upright bass and kick drum.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Lost Soul - 01/12/20 12:04 AM
Very atmospheric! Almost creepy.

I liked the different melodic themes - it kept things interesting.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Lost Soul - 01/12/20 01:45 AM
Mario, that rhythm track is absolutely perfect for the theme of this song! This is super creative! I for one am very impressed with what you did with this one! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Lost Soul - 01/12/20 11:24 AM
Mario,

Awesome! Loved this.

You are really doing some unusual - and delightfully satisfying stuff with BIAB!!

An Earscape. Excellent mix.

A great listen...
Posted By: musician17 Re: Lost Soul - 01/12/20 01:30 PM
This is so original - bravo!!! I love it. Something refreshingly different! Beautifully atmospheric.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Lost Soul - 01/12/20 06:45 PM
Hi Mario,

This is excellent... just like all your music before it.

You've developed an admirable ability to create fine atmospheric music. As I listen, words that sprang to mind were: haunting, mysterious, sense of longing, aimless wandering.

I enjoyed this. It was another satisfying journey.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Lost Soul - 01/12/20 06:45 PM
"A lost soul just wandering around, wasting his life. Sometimes he will hit a high but immediately falls back to wandering and wishing his life away. He never does reach happiness".
Sounds a bit Bipolar to me smile

But seriously this has plenty of mood and feel.
Well done Mario. Rob4580
Posted By: PeterF Re: Lost Soul - 01/12/20 06:53 PM
Mario

Moody and musical. Loved the playing - trumpet sounds great.

A very evocative composition.

Peter
Posted By: Scott C Re: Lost Soul - 01/12/20 08:23 PM
Wow Mario. First that wind controller is such a cool instrument. That back track was something else. I just loved it. Well done
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Lost Soul - 01/12/20 09:26 PM
Very nice, Mario. Like the sparseness. The pizzicato strings really add a lot to the atmosphere in this one. Really nice job of arranging! Very cinematic (like so many of your songs).

Steve
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Lost Soul - 01/12/20 09:34 PM
Nice!
Conjures up some dark emotions.
Posted By: rayc Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 01:02 AM
Mario,
the Pizz strings are great as a foil to the smooth Midi trumpet.
"Filmic" seems the best adjective I can locate.
Lovely.
Posted By: Mr_Songman Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 06:28 AM
Hi Mario,

Well you got me again, I absolutely love this. Echoes of the cold war/ spy movies of the sixties and seventies, but would work perfectly today too.

You really need to be aiming at some sort of movie/tv placements with these, they are too good to not be out there!

Fantastic job. smile smile

Martin
Posted By: Jim Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 03:14 PM
Dark & emotional...
But poignantly conveying your concept...
Lost Soul...
"wandering around, wasting his life"
Very nicely executed!
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 05:34 PM
hi mariod this is a sound track for sure I like it soundtrack playing in back ground of a cool movie thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 06:10 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Very atmospheric! Almost creepy.

I liked the different melodic themes - it kept things interesting.

Thanx so much David.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 06:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Mario, that rhythm track is absolutely perfect for the theme of this song! This is super creative! I for one am very impressed with what you did with this one! Thanks, Torrey

Thanx Torrey. It took me quite awhile to come up with that rhythm track. One hit with a lot of misses grin
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 06:14 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Mario,

Awesome! Loved this.

You are really doing some unusual - and delightfully satisfying stuff with BIAB!!

An Earscape. Excellent mix.

A great listen...

Thanx Floyd. BiaB give me lots of ideas and snippets to work with. I like experimenting with it and coming up with different themes.

PS - you only hear the ones that work wink
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 06:14 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
This is so original - bravo!!! I love it. Something refreshingly different! Beautifully atmospheric.

Thanx for this very kind review.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 06:16 PM
Originally Posted By: newaywar
Thanks for your experience! I still own only one technique, and it is also not perfect! I read your posts and get inspired!

I'm glad that I can be of service.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 06:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Mario,

This is excellent... just like all your music before it.

You've developed an admirable ability to create fine atmospheric music. As I listen, words that sprang to mind were: haunting, mysterious, sense of longing, aimless wandering.

I enjoyed this. It was another satisfying journey.

All the best,
Noel

Thanx so much Noel. I really like ambient and new age music. I find it very relaxing.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 06:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
"A lost soul just wandering around, wasting his life. Sometimes he will hit a high but immediately falls back to wandering and wishing his life away. He never does reach happiness".
Sounds a bit Bipolar to me smile

But seriously this has plenty of mood and feel.
Well done Mario. Rob4580

Rob, thanx for listening. Maybe he is bipolar, who knows?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 06:21 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Mario

Moody and musical. Loved the playing - trumpet sounds great.

A very evocative composition.

Peter

Thanx Peter. The trumpet is called Screaming Trumpet. At high velocities it screams but this is what you get at low velocities.
I think is sounds pretty good.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 06:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Wow Mario. First that wind controller is such a cool instrument. That back track was something else. I just loved it. Well done

Thanx Scott, much appreciated.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 06:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Very nice, Mario. Like the sparseness. The pizzicato strings really add a lot to the atmosphere in this one. Really nice job of arranging! Very cinematic (like so many of your songs).

Steve

Thanx Steve. I like those strings also.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 06:24 PM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Nice!
Conjures up some dark emotions.

Thanx Captain!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 06:25 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Mario,
the Pizz strings are great as a foil to the smooth Midi trumpet.
"Filmic" seems the best adjective I can locate.
Lovely.

Thanx Ray. I'm glad that you like it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 06:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Mr_Songman
Hi Mario,

Well you got me again, I absolutely love this. Echoes of the cold war/ spy movies of the sixties and seventies, but would work perfectly today too.

You really need to be aiming at some sort of movie/tv placements with these, they are too good to not be out there!

Fantastic job. smile smile

Martin

Martin, thanx so much for those extremely nice comments.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 06:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim
Dark & emotional...
But poignantly conveying your concept...
Lost Soul...
"wandering around, wasting his life"
Very nicely executed!

Thanx Jim. I thought of that intro after I wrote the song!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/13/20 06:29 PM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi mariod this is a sound track for sure I like it soundtrack playing in back ground of a cool movie thanks for sharing eric

Thanx for listening Eric. I appreciate it.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Lost Soul - 01/14/20 01:22 PM
Mario,
all you need is a freestyle short story teller, someone with William Burroughs flavor for this. A really cool journey of it's own. I am impressed by your outsider musical experiments.
Listens very well! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Lost Soul - 01/14/20 09:25 PM
Very cool and atmospheric. Liked that drag on the beat, original!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Lost Soul - 01/17/20 01:58 PM
Great atmosphere, lots of room for each instrument. Really enjoyable mysterious melody and gloomy chording. Great sounding bass and trumpet. Drum track is especially scary, I was wondering all the time is the lost soul going to miss a beat smile

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Lost Soul - 01/19/20 12:41 PM
Noel said, "As I listen, words that sprang to mind were: haunting, mysterious, sense of longing, aimless wandering."

That covers it!

We'll only add that the arrangement is excellent, the mix is superb in its spaciousness and melodies are captivating.

Excellent!

J&B
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Lost Soul - 01/20/20 11:33 AM
Hello Mario,

This is a very nice, moody song. I read the word 'haunting' sometimes, but to me it wasn't like that.
Probably those trumpets prevented me feeling it like that. The drums caused the drama, but they were more light footed, if that's how I may put it.
Instrumentals are not really my favorite (as I must have said before), but you make them worth listening to!

Hans
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Lost Soul - 01/21/20 07:34 PM
You have a true gift for instrumentals Mario!!! Very nicely done!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/22/20 11:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Mario,
all you need is a freestyle short story teller, someone with William Burroughs flavor for this. A really cool journey of it's own. I am impressed by your outsider musical experiments.
Listens very well! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Misha, thanx so much for this wonder review. That is a good idea and I have someone who might be able to write things for me. I'm gonna check that out.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/22/20 11:38 AM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Very cool and atmospheric. Liked that drag on the beat, original!

Thanx for listening and the comments.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/22/20 11:40 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Great atmosphere, lots of room for each instrument. Really enjoyable mysterious melody and gloomy chording. Great sounding bass and trumpet. Drum track is especially scary, I was wondering all the time is the lost soul going to miss a beat smile

Janne

Thanx Janne. I am trying to give each instrument more space in my songs. I do have a propensity to put to clutter up songs with too much instrumentation, i.e. notes.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/22/20 11:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Noel said, "As I listen, words that sprang to mind were: haunting, mysterious, sense of longing, aimless wandering."

That covers it!

We'll only add that the arrangement is excellent, the mix is superb in its spaciousness and melodies are captivating.

Excellent!

J&B

Thanx so much J&B.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/22/20 11:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hello Mario,

This is a very nice, moody song. I read the word 'haunting' sometimes, but to me it wasn't like that.
Probably those trumpets prevented me feeling it like that. The drums caused the drama, but they were more light footed, if that's how I may put it.
Instrumentals are not really my favorite (as I must have said before), but you make them worth listening to!

Hans

I'm glad that you are listening and commenting on my little instrumentals. I do instrumentals because my voice scares people!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/22/20 11:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
You have a true gift for instrumentals Mario!!! Very nicely done!! Take care. Greg

Thanx so much Greg.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Lost Soul - 01/24/20 03:31 AM
The word that most easily comes to mind listening is "space". I don't mean sci-fi cheese (or moon cheese, for that matter) but wonderful space in the timing and in the mix. The ear awaits what little hit will fall just where. Lovely harmonies and a perhaps deceptively simple melody/lead convey a very nice muted emotion. I like this a lot.
Posted By: RichMac Re: Lost Soul - 01/25/20 04:06 AM
Hi Mario,
Love the atmosphere and style of this. Title just right. Something to sink into. Wish I could do something similar.
Cheers.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Lost Soul - 01/25/20 02:12 PM
Nice work on this - it flows gorgeously, and really sets a calming vibe. The harmonies are excellent and it captures a really unique atmosphere.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/25/20 09:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
The word that most easily comes to mind listening is "space". I don't mean sci-fi cheese (or moon cheese, for that matter) but wonderful space in the timing and in the mix. The ear awaits what little hit will fall just where. Lovely harmonies and a perhaps deceptively simple melody/lead convey a very nice muted emotion. I like this a lot.

Thanx so much for the kind review. I appreciate it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/25/20 09:31 PM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Mario,
Love the atmosphere and style of this. Title just right. Something to sink into. Wish I could do something similar.
Cheers.

Thanx Rich. I'm sure you could produce something like this if you put you mind to it. If I can do it anyone can!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/25/20 09:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nice work on this - it flows gorgeously, and really sets a calming vibe. The harmonies are excellent and it captures a really unique atmosphere.

Thanks for sharing smile

Thanx Deryk. BiaB makes it easy to make music like this or in fact any genre of music.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Lost Soul - 01/26/20 02:32 AM
Mario,

I think it is your unique view of the music world.
As floyd says, you are really doing some unusual - and delightfully satisfying stuff with BIAB!!
And I entirely agree with Noel.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost Soul - 01/26/20 11:36 AM
Shigeki, thanx so much for this wonderful review. I greatly appreciated this.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Lost Soul - 01/28/20 08:45 AM
Hi Mario,

the things you're coming up with are simply amazing. You're creating fantastic atmospheres on an extremly high musical and technical level. Hats off!

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: WobblyGstring Re: Lost Soul - 01/28/20 05:59 PM
A spy movie sound track with Madrid as a back drop!
What a beautifully done sound canvass Mario!

As an ex trumpeter, always a sucker for trumpet as a lead instrument without overwhelming the other instruments. The more I listen, the more it grows and your ending, brilliant.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Lost Soul - 01/31/20 08:29 PM
Loved this and very near missed it, trying to catch up been gone for a bit .

Truly to me a mystic and suspense feel , The wind instrument just blows me away and the fact you do truly create this... along with midi implementations.

Makes it more creative and unique and exciting.

Well to me you are the Midi King and you inspire me a great deal.

Thank You.
© PG Music Forums