PG Music Home
Posted By: CaptainMoto Slow Burn - 01/13/20 05:14 PM
I'm still a newbie here slowly absorbing all the fine songs created by everyone.
I like to read a little about the person, the motivation for the song and some of the technical aspects as well.

Here's a little about myself and this song:
I'm just an old retired guy trying to learn the guitar, make some music and do the best I can recording my creations.
I'm learning on all fronts.

Although I enjoy listening to and creating music in many genres, I'm drawn to the blues so, many of my songs lean in that direction.

Because I'm a one man band and not much of a musician, most of my songs are limited to guitar & vocals.
Over time I started adding bass, drums and a few other instruments and that's why I ended up with BIAB.
I'm hoping to fill out my songs with more depth as I learn how to use BIAB.

Here's a song a did a while back with a little more then just guitar/vocals and I'm certain it could have been better if I had BIAB to help.

About this song:
Most of my songs are motivated by events around me and it seems the more emotional the event, the more motivated I am to express something in song.
The motivation here was two fold.
I'm generally a mild mannered guy, but I was reminded of times I lost my cool, particularly when I was younger.
Secondarily, as I age, I'm feeling more vulnerable to street thugs and have had a few close calls with those who would do me harm so, I've been exploring self defense concepts on my internet machine.
One such video was demonstrating very lethal martial arts take down methods that rely on surprising an attacker with unexpected force.

Well, there ya have it......a mild mannered old guy writing a song about being cool until you're forced to take action.

Thanks for listening.
Here's " Slow Burn"

https://soundcloud.com/captainmoto/slow-burn
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Slow Burn - 01/13/20 07:03 PM
Captain,

Some very soulful playing. And I like your clean tone - very Robert Cray like...

A good vocal.

Looking forward to when there is some BIAB stuff along for that bluesy ride...

A good listen.

fj
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Slow Burn - 01/13/20 09:35 PM
Thanks Floyd,

I'll get there soon.

I appreciate your comments but man, I've always hated my vocals so, when I'm told it's good I'm surprised.

I started building a new song today with BIAB, hope to release that soon.

Moto
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Slow Burn - 01/13/20 10:49 PM
Good song, has a “Tin Pan Alley” feel.

I also like your vocal, works well for blues.

Looking forward to hearing what you come up with once you get BIAB sorted out.
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: Slow Burn - 01/14/20 03:05 AM
I like this a lot. As far as vocals go, if they are expressive and support the song, that's what counts for me. I'll take soulful singing with a little bit of grit over polished, pure and antiseptic (or autotuned!), any day. You've really captured a sound there, with that deep south blues feel to it, and it just works. The playing is very clean and appealing too - very nice tone. Looking forward to hearing more.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Slow Burn - 01/14/20 12:26 PM
Nice work on this - love the groove, and the vocals suit the instrumentation perfectly. Very soulful, and it has a lot of passion behind the performance which is always good to be able to hear.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Slow Burn - 01/14/20 01:04 PM
Thanks for giving this a listen.

Dave,
You've got a good ear, I was shooting fir the "Tin Pan Alley" vibe.
That was a high bar, I'm happy it hit the mark with you.

Ed Z,
Thanks for the feedback.
I understand what you're saying, I'm thinking it's easier to get away with that in the blues.

Deryk,
I appreciate your comments.
Thanks.
Posted By: Jim Re: Slow Burn - 01/14/20 03:49 PM
I really enjoyed listening to "Slow Burn"...
You've done a great job on this one...
Vocals, background tracks, production...
And you tasteful bluesy guitar playing!
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Slow Burn - 01/14/20 09:15 PM
Yeah, I'm with Floyd on this one, it's very much like Robert Cray. Nice job!! As others have mentioned, adding BIAB's all-stars to the mix will make it even better.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Slow Burn - 01/14/20 09:33 PM
Jim,
That's a rather glowing report.
I'm humbled.

TuneMonger,
I think I've got the basics of using song style, I just don't know how else to use BIAB yet.

Thank you both for listening and sharing your impressions.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Slow Burn - 01/15/20 02:46 PM
Cool tune. Love the guitar tone. Very clean with a nice bite. Very cool vocal. Well done.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Slow Burn - 01/15/20 04:11 PM
Thanks Scott,
I appreciate your comments.
Posted By: rayc Re: Slow Burn - 01/15/20 08:09 PM
LOUD start - had to reach for the vol. control.
What BIAB elements did you use?
I liked everything except the synth.
As this was a one of those smouldering slow blues tracks I think you could opt for something less synthy and more closely aligned to the changes.
Very cool song.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Slow Burn - 01/15/20 09:50 PM
I enjoyed the song, the singing, and the story behind it as well.

If that's "trying to learn guitar"... Well, I'll just say you're more than a bit modest. smile

It's always interesting to hear stories behind the song, as well as a bit about the people who write them. Thanks for including that as well.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Slow Burn - 01/15/20 09:53 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
LOUD start - had to reach for the vol. control.
What BIAB elements did you use?
I liked everything except the synth.
As this was a one of those smouldering slow blues tracks I think you could opt for something less synthy and more closely aligned to the changes.
Very cool song.

Hey rayc,
That loud start is interesting, when I look at the volume curve it builds in volume and the opening isn't any louder than the balance of the track.
I'll have to look into that.
I do know that the streaming services adjust the volume, not sure if that's the issue.
About the the synth, I'm using a guitar synth controller, I was looking for just a tad of something to fill in the gaps, I guess it didn't work that well.

If you read my setup on this, you'll see I'm new to BIAB and did not have that on any part of this song.
I'm just starting to learn how to incorporate BIAB and will have something new out soon.
This is my second posting here, the first did use BIAB for drums and bass so, that's probably what I'll be doing on future songs.

Thanks for listening and providing your feedback.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Slow Burn - 01/15/20 10:04 PM
dcunny,
Thanks you.
I'd rate my guitar playing at 2 on a scale of 1 -10.
Unfortunately the more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
I've got too many stories to bore people with, occasionally I put some of them into songs.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Slow Burn - 01/17/20 12:34 AM
CaptainMoto,

Another fine blues presentation. I love the even 8-beat feel that you've used.

This is an excellent performance and is a real pleasure to listen to.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Slow Burn - 01/17/20 01:03 AM
Thanks Noel,
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Slow Burn - 01/17/20 08:45 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Captain,

Some very soulful playing. And I like your clean tone - very Robert Cray like...

A good vocal.

Looking forward to when there is some BIAB stuff along for that bluesy ride...

A good listen.

fj

Like Floyd said "Soulful"!! Really dig the playing and singing!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Slow Burn - 01/17/20 09:06 PM
Hey Cap'n,

Good vocal -- very engaging. Guitar too! It had my ears hooked.

Keep posting!
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Slow Burn - 01/17/20 09:32 PM
Greg, Ezekiel,
I'll keep trying.
Thanks
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Slow Burn - 01/18/20 02:57 PM
Blues is our wheelhouse.

Thanks for adding this one to the mix.

Everything is hittin' the note with souful singing
and playing - the essence of the blues.

Nice!!

J&B

PS Looking forward to where you go with BiaB
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Slow Burn - 01/18/20 11:57 PM
Thanks guys,
You're make'n some good music.
Thanks for give this a listen.
Posted By: RichMac Re: Slow Burn - 01/19/20 04:43 AM
Hi Captain,
Enjoyed this blues. Your voice seems perfect for it.
Cheers.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Slow Burn - 01/19/20 01:06 PM
Thank you Rich,
I appreciate you comments.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Slow Burn - 01/20/20 11:19 AM
Hello Captain,

You hate your voice, you're a beginner on the guitar...
You must be kidding us or yourself. However, I heard some other songs from you as well, like Void (v2).
This was also badly sung and horribly played, as you might put it. But I really like your 'bad performances'.
So continue making more of those awful songs and I become your fan!

But, whatever you do, stay on that Bluesside. You're very good on that. You sound like that other, bad singing guy, some here already mentioned. I believe he's called Robert Gray...
And maybe one day, you also believe yourself you can play a guitar and sing a song. I'd love to be there on that day!

Hans
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Slow Burn - 01/20/20 01:04 PM
Hans,
You gave me a good laugh this morning, thank you.
laugh

I guess self doubt is always a challenge.
When I began creating my own songs a handful of people encouraged me to keep going and put my stuff out there.
That was quite a frightful idea but, I did it and just kept going.

At this point, I've written/recorded almost 200 songs.
I can't be the judge as to whether any of them are good or bad, that's for the listener to determine.
I know my style will appeal to a limited audience and I hope to keep delivering music they enjoy.
I'm always hopeful that my songs will touch somebody and I'm very grateful when somebody enjoys my work and takes the time to share a some encouraging words.

I've listened to several of your songs.
I like what your doing.
Some worthwhile messages!
Keep them coming.

So Hans,
Thanks again.

Maybe you'll like this one:

https://soundcloud.com/captainmoto/money-machine

Posted By: Crossroads Re: Slow Burn - 01/28/20 10:28 AM
Hi CaptainMoto,

I'm very late to the party, but I'm happy I could still make it.

Because this is a wonderful song. You're playing and singing the Blues? I'm your man right from the start!.

And if this is just "learning guitar", it makes me feel like pressing my nose against the window pane of a musical shop, wondering if I could ever hold one of those guitars presented there the right way round... You're far too modest.

If you hadn't written about your age I would never have assumed that you're retired: Your voice sounds a lot younger... And I do like the way you use it!

Liked that song right from the start, very nice intro.

I was a bit surprised that none of our forum friends reacted to that 'psychological' background you gave.

Everyday's violence and everyday's violent reactions to it - very disturbing. I must be about your age, have lived in a major city for many , but neither me nor any of my friends has ever been in such a situation and I simply do not know a single guy of my age who has ever considered learning self-defense stuff. I'm not claiming that there's no violence over here, but it's pretty much against all odds to become a victim of violent actions performed in the public.

What a terrible thought to feel that unsafe when you're leaving your home, very hard to really relate to that... I do hope you won't lose your mild side !

All the very best,

Stefan
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Slow Burn - 01/28/20 10:45 AM
CaptainMoto,

This is very cool slow tune. I liked it a lot. Arrangement, vocals guitar A+.
The only thing, I would curb or swap is synth, but that is a matter of taste smile
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Slow Burn - 01/28/20 06:04 PM
Stefen,

Thanks for your support of my music.
Yes, I am still just learning and at my stage of life, I need to just run with what I've got.
As I said I've always hated my voice but, I guess it's good enough for what I do.....thanks.

Most of my songs have story or inspiration behind them and I'm pleased when somebody actually gets the message.

Thanks again for you kind words.

moto
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Slow Burn - 01/28/20 06:07 PM
Thanks Misha,

A+ ? yikes.....now I've got nowhere to go but down.

I'wasn't 100% pleased with the Synth organ either but, it's done...time to move on.
moto
© PG Music Forums