PG Music Home
Posted By: Andyman ONE LAST KISS (Unfinished) - 01/18/20 07:04 PM
https://soundcloud.com/andyshearer-1/one-last-kiss-unmastered-long-version

This instrumental composition is something of a departure from my usual material.
In addition to the BIAB Realtracks, I've added my own Classical and electric guitars solos.
The Flugelhorn melody is also played on electric guitar through a Roland GR20 guitar synth (ie. Midi).

85 bpm, 4/4, even 8.

CELTAIR.STY - 1814: Acoustic CelticAir Guitar
SONGBRD.STY - 2474: Acoustic Bass
NYGEORG.STY - Realdrums
DRMYPOP.STY - Realdrums
CLAIRPS.STY - 2483: Bowed Bass
2457: Strings
CTPNG.STY - 2024: Acoustic Piano
1118: 12Str Acoustic Guitar
1856: Cello

Before mastering the track, I am debating whether to shorten it, perhaps by fading it out at some point after the 3:30 mark.
Any suggestions on exactly where to set the fade out would be very welcome.
Posted By: rayc Re: One Last Kiss (Long Version/Unmastered) - 01/18/20 08:31 PM
The 1st two notes made me thing of The Carpenters..."long ago..."
I'd suggest adding a little more in front of it to avoid that association - even a couple of lead up notes.
A fade out might be nice when the pretty delayed guitar finishes is 1st phrase after 3.40 or so - chose whether to satisfy with a cadence end or not.
Posted By: MarioD Re: ONE LAST KISS (Long Version - Unmastered) - 01/18/20 09:16 PM
This is just beautiful! I like this a lot. Good mix and outstanding playing.

You mentioned you might want to shorten this. For what its worth here is my two cents. I think you should keep your guitar leads, both the acoustic and electric, and shorten the MIDI Flugelhorn. Maybe even lengthen a guitar lead or two with a short Flugelhorn bridge.

I really like your guitar work.
Yes indeed, this a beautiful song.

I love the sound you created with your guitar. I also like the acoustic lead you inserted in the interlude.

You added a nice change at 3:45 that keeps it interesting.
My 2 cents:
Make two cuts.
Cut a little off the front end start the song around 40 seconds.
Then fade out around 3:49ish.
Posted By: PeterF Re: ONE LAST KISS (Long Version - Unmastered) - 01/19/20 02:46 AM
Very pleasant instrumental and nice guitar synth and guitar in general.

Some good suggestions on the length of the piece from earlier posts.

Nice work.

Peter
Posted By: dcuny Re: ONE LAST KISS (Long Version - Unmastered) - 01/19/20 04:36 AM
I enjoyed it!

Since you're basically just revisiting the idea with a different instrument, it makes sense to me to place the fade after 3:30.
Originally Posted By: rayc
The 1st two notes made me thing of The Carpenters..."long ago..."

Originally Posted By: MarioD
I think you should keep your guitar leads, both the acoustic and electric, and shorten the MIDI Flugelhorn. Maybe even lengthen a guitar lead or two with a short Flugelhorn bridge.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions guys. They are noted and appreciated.
I see how the first three notes of the melody are identical to those in the song 'Superstar' which was made famous by The Carpenters.
Whilst I don't think that this is necessarily a bad thing, I've decided to replace these with three different notes as it is now bugging me, now that rayc has highlighted the fact.
So instead of B↓A↓E, it will be B↑C↓E.

The reason why I was thinking of shortening the song was because it is basically just a 32 bar chord sequence that is repeated three times, and I feel that it sounds a bit boring the third time. That was the main reason for adding the electric guitar solo in an attempt to keep it sounding interesting.
I do like the delayed electric guitar solo and I would like to retain this as well as the cadence ending, so I now propose ditching the third flugelhorn melody (the bit that follows the Spanish guitar solo), and inserting a short bridge that leads nicely into the electric guitar solo.

Whilst this solution will only shorten the song slightly, I hope that it will make the song more satisfying and engaging, and that is always more important to me than the actual length of a song.
Posted By: dcuny Re: ONE LAST KISS (Long Version - Unmastered) - 01/19/20 02:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Andyman
...so I now propose ditching the third flugelhorn melody (the bit that follows the Spanish guitar solo), and inserting a short bridge that leads nicely into the electric guitar solo.

I think this would be a good idea - introduction of a new idea will be a good change from restatement, and will make the return of the main theme more welcome. As you said, it'll be slightly longer. But as long as the song remains interesting, length isn't generally a problem.
Posted By: Jim Re: ONE LAST KISS (Long Version - Unmastered) - 01/19/20 07:24 PM
Perhaps I'm in the minority...
But I don't think you should shorten it at all.

There's a lot of melodic variations
That keep it interesting throughout the piece
And it sounds pleasing to me as it is!
Originally Posted By: Jim

Thanks Jim. I've now re-arranged the song and you will be pleased to hear that it is exactly the
same length as before.
I have made quite a big change though, by taking out the flugelhorn melody after the Spanish Guitar solo and replacing it with a 16 bar bridge which uses a different chord structure and features some tasty electric guitar.
I think that this builds and leads nicely into the delayed guitar solo at the end, which I've left unchanged.
There are a few other cosmetic changes but I'm happy with the result and very appreciative of all the help and suggestions I've received here.

I'm going to finish mixing and mastering today and will post the finished article in a new thread later.
Another superb instrumental is delivered. This is quite sensational, and a most enjoyable listen.

I was impressed by the chord structures you have used. This could easily be a movie theme or a play during a credit roll.

I don't think anything much needs changing. Yes, some songs are too long but I'm not absolutely sure that this fits into that category. You have certainly achieved musical brilliance with this composition.
Thanks for listening VideoTrack. I'm glad that you liked it so much.

I will keep this version on Soundcloud for now, but maybe you will like the new revised version even more. I have posted the link on a new thread.
Posted By: Jim Re: ONE LAST KISS (Long Version - Unmastered) - 01/20/20 07:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Andyman
Originally Posted By: Jim

Thanks Jim. I've now re-arranged the song and you will be pleased to hear that it is exactly the
same length as before.
I have made quite a big change though, by taking out the flugelhorn melody after the Spanish Guitar solo and replacing it with a 16 bar bridge which uses a different chord structure and features some tasty electric guitar.
I think that this builds and leads nicely into the delayed guitar solo at the end, which I've left unchanged.
There are a few other cosmetic changes but I'm happy with the result and very appreciative of all the help and suggestions I've received here.

I'm going to finish mixing and mastering today and will post the finished article in a new thread later.

Make sure I spot it so I can listen!
For the finished and updated version of this song, check out this link:
https://soundcloud.com/andyshearer-1/one-last-kiss
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: ONE LAST KISS (Unfinished) - 01/21/20 07:40 PM
Cool tune!! I like the chord changes.....they are surprising, yet very musical!! Nice playing too!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ONE LAST KISS (Long Version - Unmastered) - 01/21/20 07:41 PM
Hi Andy,

This is some really fine listening that you've created!

I love your guitar tone. The musical journey that you just took me on was restful, relaxing and very engaging.

I enjoyed stepping into your music.

All the best,
Noel
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Andy,

This is some really fine listening that you've created!

I love your guitar tone. The musical journey that you just took me on was restful, relaxing and very engaging.

I enjoyed stepping into your music.

All the best,
Noel

Thank you for listening Noel.
Please could you let me know which version you liked the best ?

https://soundcloud.com/andyshearer-1/one-last-kiss-unmastered-long-version
or:
Lovely, mesmerizing (in a good way) and very cinematic....

Nice!

J&B
Thanks J&B.
Andyman,
Beautiful composition and playing! I prefer tunes of this genre to be long. You kept it interesting. I would not shorten it. Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ONE LAST KISS (Unfinished) - 01/28/20 09:17 PM
Andy,

You've created some lovely stuff here! Love the melody and the delicate use of the strings! The guitar sounds very good also! The horn just brings it all back together in a very nice fashion! Thanks, Torrey
Thank you Torrey and Misha. Hope you both like the revised version:

© PG Music Forums