PG Music Home
Posted By: Steve Young Kay - 01/30/20 06:06 PM
I've been out of pocket the past couple weeks because one of my very best friends passed away suddenly. She was my secretary when I pastored a church in Austin for 18 years. She was my wife's very best friend and prayer partner for over 30 years. One of the most loyal and faithful friends I have ever known. Most of the responsibilities for the funeral service have fallen on me, so this has been a very rewarding, but draining time in my life.

I wrote this song to honor her legacy. All RealTracks and RealDrums, along with some organ, Moog, and percussion that I played. I hope you enjoy it.

Video version...
Kay - Video

SoundCloud version...
Kay - SoundCloud

This is the first time I have used the DAW plugin. Worked really well for this one. Here's a screenshot of the RT's/RD used...

Attached picture Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 2.17.10 PM.png
Posted By: MarioD Re: Kay - 01/30/20 06:21 PM
All I can say is WOW! What a fantastic tribute. I could hear the pain in your vocals. This is absolutely outstanding!

It is going to be very hard for you to top this one!
Posted By: edshaw Re: Kay - 01/30/20 06:31 PM
A touching testimony, Steve. You are blessed with the skill to produce such a thing. It is easy to see how you all held her in such high esteem.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Kay - 01/30/20 06:53 PM
Steve

A lovely tribute - very touching.

Peter
Posted By: trapper456 Re: Kay - 01/30/20 11:59 PM
I am extremely touched by this one. My mother passed away from a brain tumor Dec. 19th 2017, we thought she was getting better after resection of the tumor and doing "Physical Therapy" then she started getting worse fast and took a very bad turn for the worst and passed away at 9:14 in the evening suddenly. So to hear this song brought tears to my eyes because almost every word that you spoke in this song was my mother to. Very beautiful, and I am sorry for your loss. Thanks for creating this song! I have bookmarked it and will come back to listen to it often.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Kay - 01/31/20 01:33 AM
As Peter said: A lovely tribute - very touching.

It's the lyrics and vocals that make your songs - sincerity and faith that come across loud and clear. Really well done! The arrangement wonderfully supports the vocal, but keeps it front and center. Nice touches (like the subtle echo).

Sorry for your (temporary) loss. Thanks for sharing this with us! smile
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Kay - 01/31/20 02:48 AM
A sensitive and touching tribute. "And when she spoke, she gave us hope and life, and now her words are echoes in the light." Beautiful.
Posted By: rayc Re: Kay - 01/31/20 07:05 AM
You capture your voice very well and it sits well in that mix.
Ace effort.
Posted By: musician17 Re: Kay - 01/31/20 12:44 PM
Beautiful - very, very moving. Well written, sung, produced ... the whole package is so sensitively done - well done.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Kay - 01/31/20 03:21 PM
Steve,

A beautiful song. A lovely tribute.

An excellent, subtle production that leaves the message being the "star".
The background vocals were outstanding.

Sorry for your loss.

fj
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Kay - 01/31/20 06:45 PM
Steve,
Sorry for your loss.
This is a very nice way to remember a friend. Arrangement and performance are excellent. Stay well and thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Kay - 02/01/20 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
All I can say is WOW! What a fantastic tribute. I could hear the pain in your vocals. This is absolutely outstanding!

It is going to be very hard for you to top this one!

Thanks so much, Mario! I appreciate you dropping in on this one. This one was easy to write, but hard to sing. Glad you like it.

Originally Posted By: edshaw
A touching testimony, Steve. You are blessed with the skill to produce such a thing. It is easy to see how you all held her in such high esteem.

Thanks, Ed! I appreciate your kind words. Yes, Kay was a very special woman to all who knew her.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Kay - 02/02/20 02:35 AM
Steve,

Sorry for your loss.
Beautiful song. A sensitive and touching tribute.
Your vocals are very touching. I also could hear the pain in your vocals.
Thanks for sharing this with us.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Kay - 02/02/20 04:14 AM
Steve,

Pretty, pretty tune—the vocal carries a lot of emotion and depth (perfect touch of reverb on it). Lyrically, for the less knowing like me, I’m not sure that last line of the second verse will resonate, but it doesn’t take away from the beauty of the tune at all. Wonderful production—sweet song!

My best regards to you,

Deej
Posted By: jannesan Re: Kay - 02/02/20 06:42 AM
Beautiful tribute. Nice chording and melody. The band supports the mood smoothly and powerfully, your vocals express the fragility of life in a touching way.

Janne
Posted By: Jim Re: Kay - 02/02/20 06:09 PM
A very moving tribute Steve...
You have a knack for choosing the right words & melody
To convey your feelings & emotions...
Thanks for sharing something so personal to us on the forum!
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Kay - 02/04/20 12:43 AM
What a beautiful tribute to a clearly salt-of-the=earth uncommon common woman. Blessed indeed.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Kay - 02/04/20 01:27 AM
Beautiful way to honour your friend. Lovely song. Awesome vocal and lyric. Well done
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Kay - 02/05/20 02:50 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Steve

A lovely tribute - very touching.

Peter

Thank you, Peter! Appreciate your kind words!

Originally Posted By: trapper456
I am extremely touched by this one. My mother passed away from a brain tumor Dec. 19th 2017, we thought she was getting better after resection of the tumor and doing "Physical Therapy" then she started getting worse fast and took a very bad turn for the worst and passed away at 9:14 in the evening suddenly. So to hear this song brought tears to my eyes because almost every word that you spoke in this song was my mother to. Very beautiful, and I am sorry for your loss. Thanks for creating this song! I have bookmarked it and will come back to listen to it often.

Thanks, Trapper456. I'm so sorry about your mom, but I am happy that she is with the Lord! I'm glad my song touched you. My prayers are with you!

Originally Posted By: dcuny
As Peter said: A lovely tribute - very touching.

It's the lyrics and vocals that make your songs - sincerity and faith that come across loud and clear. Really well done! The arrangement wonderfully supports the vocal, but keeps it front and center. Nice touches (like the subtle echo).

Sorry for your (temporary) loss. Thanks for sharing this with us! smile

David, it's always a treat to hear from you. I appreciate your thoughtful comments! Thanks for taking the time to listen and post your thoughts!
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Kay - 02/05/20 03:17 PM
Loss of a loved one can effect us in many ways.
Expressing your feelings in song is a wonderful way to find some light in a dark situation.
Well done.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Kay - 02/06/20 01:51 PM
A sublime and moving tribute.

"And now her words are echoes in the light"

What a wonderful line to describe her words. Outstanding.

Your vocal/instrumental performances never disappoint and, as with
this tune, always complement each other so well.

Lovely...

J&B
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Kay - 02/06/20 08:31 PM
Steve,
A vulnerable quality in your vocal makes the sincerity of the lyrics all the more felt.
The simple arrangement serves the song well.
A beautiful tribute.

Robert
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Kay - 02/09/20 06:36 AM
Hello Steve,

what a sad situation. But you wrote and sang Kay a wonderful heartfelt tribute.

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Kay - 02/09/20 09:02 PM
What a wonderful composition. Quite moving.

Your voice is clear and expressive. Lovely tone.
Posted By: furry Re: Kay - 02/12/20 10:29 PM
Hi Steve, this has been done straight from the heart and it shows a mile off. You CAN'T hide emotion is songs or tunes. Beautiful lyrics and melody. LOVED it !
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Kay - 02/12/20 11:08 PM
You have a voice that I find very relaxing to listen to, and your productions are first rate. A fine tribute to your friend.
© PG Music Forums