PG Music Home
Posted By: RayL The Lap Steel Song - 01/30/20 09:06 PM
https://soundcloud.com/ray_legnini/lap-steel-song

Here's a fun song that's all lap steel. I always loved the vibe that David Lindley got with his lap steel as heard on Jackson Browne recordings, so I set up my old National lap steel from the '40s plugged into some overdrives and into a Fender amp, miked with a Shure SM57. That's the National you can see in the picture on SoundCloud.

BIAB helped to quickly provide the outline for the song. I played the backing guitars and the bass part. Then came the lap steel in one continuous live overdub.

Key=D, Tempo 119

Style is -NSE16^6.STY

RealTracks in song:
2046:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment CountryPopJohn Ev 120
RealDrums in Style:
NashvilleEven16^6-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Open
Posted By: dcuny Re: The Lap Steel Song - 01/31/20 01:56 AM
I hear that Lindley inspired vibrato - you're an excellent player. I enjoyed the bouncy bass part as well - nicely done all around.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Lap Steel Song - 01/31/20 03:04 PM
Ray,

Cool. Enjoyed that. You captured that Lindley/Browne style/sound perfectly. With a Jackson-like vocal on that it would sound like it came right off the Running On Empty album...

Good mix.

fj
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Lap Steel Song - 01/31/20 06:05 PM
Ray,

You are a master of the Lap Steel for sure.

This is really good!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Lap Steel Song - 02/01/20 03:49 PM
That has been a fav instrument of ours for years...even preceding Lindley.

Well done!!

J&B
Posted By: Jim Re: The Lap Steel Song - 02/02/20 05:58 PM
Nicely done Ray...
Thanks for showcasing you talents...
On your "old National lap steel", though I must admit...
It looks like it is in mint condition smile
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Lap Steel Song - 02/02/20 06:14 PM
Lovely tone and playing. Always enjoyed a good "Lindley" solo.

Peter
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: The Lap Steel Song - 02/05/20 02:38 PM
Nice playing.
Lap sounds great!
smile
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Lap Steel Song - 02/05/20 08:34 PM
That`s some very tasty playing; you captured that Jackson Browne/David Lindley sound really well.

Robert
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: The Lap Steel Song - 02/07/20 08:10 PM
Great playing as usual. I didn't know Lindley played lap steel, I thought it was just regular slide guitar. Really enjoyed it.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: The Lap Steel Song - 02/09/20 06:38 AM
Hi Ray,

very cool. I think I've never seen or heard somebody playing the lap steel. Sounds amazingly good. Very enjoyable !

Cheers,

Stefan
Posted By: Birchwood Re: The Lap Steel Song - 02/09/20 12:45 PM
Hello Ray,

Didn't know what a Lap Steel was before, but when you played it in your beautiful song, I suddenly remembered it. But the way I heard people playing on this instrument was certainly not so exciting as you played it! I begin to like it now, I think...
But the song was more than this active lead lap steel. The band behind it was good with a clear sound. So a good mixing.

Thanks,
Hans
Posted By: furry Re: The Lap Steel Song - 02/12/20 10:33 PM
WOW, loved this to bits Ray, I've been playing lap steel for a couple of years and was getting on well but my left wrist started getting really sore so I've had to stop for a while and stick to my accordions. Super playing and well arranged
© PG Music Forums