PG Music Home
Posted By: Robertkc The Million Star Hotel - 02/03/20 11:40 PM
This song began with the phrase "dead reckoning"
Cambridge Dictionary:"a way of calculating the position of a ship or aircraft using only information about the direction and distance it has travelled from a known point"
Replace "ship or aircraft" with most of us and that seems a good description of how we travel through life.
The title line I stumbled on from a travel website... not original, but fair game for an alert songwriter!

The Million Star Hotel

Style is _APPLES.STY (Apples Even-16 Americana Ballad)

RealTracks in style: 2877:Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
RealTracks in song: 2667:Pedal Steel, Background DreamySingleNote Ev 075
RealTracks in style: 3159:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm AmericanaSlow16thsBrentFX Ev16 060
RealTracks in song: 3058:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking SongwriterAlternating8thsQuinn Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 2542:Pedal Steel, Background ModernBalladAtmosphere Ev16 065
RT 1596 Acoustic guitar
RealDrums [in style:AmericanaRoots16th^01-a:Toms, b:Snare
RT 3156 Fiddle5string
RT3023 vocal oohs

The Million Star Hotel

danger don`t go there
on charts you can`t rely
stay home hang a picture
in your little box of sky

sit by the window
in the land of watch and wait
for a ship sails back roads
as your breath on the glass fades

there`s that loner
leaning into the wind
try to read on his face
the map of all he`s seen
by dead reckoning he travels
under heaven`s spell
tonight he`ll sleep
in the million star hotel

doubt gives a last shiver
compass reads magnetic south
city folds around you
hold course through crowds

in a prairie night ocean
lost in wonder sea grass
a coyote circles
wild eyes on your trespass

there`s that loner
leaning into the wind
try to read on his face
the map of all he`s seen
by dead reckoning he travels
under heaven`s spell
tonight he`ll sleep

feel the motion
moving at the speed of hope
destination hidden
eye on the sky hand on the rope
by dead reckoning we travel
under heaven`s spell
all we know is we sleep

© Robert Cordrey Jan. 2020
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/04/20 01:24 AM
Super visual Robert. Cool vocal and harmonies. Loved the backtrack
Posted By: dcuny Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/04/20 01:36 AM
Evocative lyrics - you're a very poetic writer. The pedal steel does a good job setting the tone, as does your voice.

A very enjoyable listen! laugh
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/04/20 08:27 AM
Love the way you write! Man, just one great line after another.

Nice use of the pedal steel, it really sets the mood early on, and nice harmonies in the chorus.

Enjoyed this one.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/04/20 02:31 PM
Robert,

Cool.

Your unique, picturesque lyric style...your impassioned vocal...the steel...the harmonies - all high points in this one.

Neat title! (Dead Reckoning would make a good one, too!!)

Enjoyed.

fj
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/04/20 06:45 PM
coyote, wild eyes on your trespass. That was my favorite line. Also breath on the glass fades. Very Updike to me.

This felt a little more like a song rather than poetry set to music. Good production.

I'm a big fan, as I think you know.
Posted By: Will Josef Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/04/20 08:48 PM
Wonderful song! Very good composition and mix... and I really, really like the lyrics. Passages like this:

"doubt gives a last shiver
city folds around you
hold course through crowds"

...is just so poetic. Love it!

Really well done job!

Edited because I need to ask: Is there really a hotel called that?

Thanks for sharing,
Will
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/04/20 09:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Super visual Robert. Cool vocal and harmonies. Loved the backtrack

Thank you, Scott...backing has those sustained notes on pedal steel I mentioned to you.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Evocative lyrics - you're a very poetic writer. The pedal steel does a good job setting the tone, as does your voice.

A very enjoyable listen! laugh

David,
I appreciate that!

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Love the way you write! Man, just one great line after another.

Nice use of the pedal steel, it really sets the mood early on, and nice harmonies in the chorus.

Enjoyed this one.

Dave,
Thank you! I scribbled more and threw away more lines than usual for this one- its very encouraging to hear you liked what`s left.

Robert
Posted By: Tangmo Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/05/20 02:11 AM
Wonderful lyric. The backing is very effective and well put together. Everything sounds good, and the whole package takes me on a mental and emotional journey that will likely be different next time I hear this. And I will.
Posted By: rayc Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/05/20 08:13 AM
I can't decide if your songs are perfect for sipping whiskey, cannabis or a mountain retreat.
Lovely narrative and melody.
Mentioning dead reckoning in proximity to and million stars struck me as a little odd - but I think I already had a sextant in my mind.
Lovely stuff.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/05/20 12:25 PM
Wonderful lyrics, and a enjoyable delivery, Robert. Perfect arrangement to bring out the mood.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/05/20 01:57 PM
Robert,
There are tunes that plug you in like a appliance to outlet, there are tunes that are done well, but far from emotional state, there are some that are bursting with fine detail like insane kaleidoscope.
I do not worry about those things when listening to your songs. I just fall back and enjoy. Robert, beautiful tune. Everything shines, especially lyrics and vocals.This was a treat to my ears and mind. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/05/20 02:46 PM
Love the lyrics! So poetic, they stand on their own.

Very nice!

Steve
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/05/20 03:21 PM
Conjures up all sorts of wonderful earth images.
Well done!
Posted By: Jim Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/05/20 05:28 PM
Seems very lonely & desolate to me...
Good vocals, backing, lyrics, & delivery...
But if given a choice...
I rather not spend a night
in that "million star hotel" smile
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/05/20 08:59 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert,

Cool.

Your unique, picturesque lyric style...your impassioned vocal...the steel...the harmonies - all high points in this one.

Neat title! (Dead Reckoning would make a good one, too!!)

Enjoyed.

fj

Thanks for your comments,Floyd.
Until the day before I posted, the song was called "Dead Reckoning"... the last line just seemed more sparkly!
And now I can still use the original title for a gunslingers` shootout song or something.

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
coyote, wild eyes on your trespass. That was my favorite line. Also breath on the glass fades. Very Updike to me.

This felt a little more like a song rather than poetry set to music. Good production.

I'm a big fan, as I think you know.

Thanks for those very kind comments.
On this song I wrote the melody before I had more than a few lines of lyrics... just saying; I`m wordy there`s no doubt, but hardly ever have lyrics done before I think of the music.

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Wonderful song! Very good composition and mix... and I really, really like the lyrics. Passages like this:

"doubt gives a last shiver
city folds around you
hold course through crowds"

...is just so poetic. Love it!

Really well done job!

Edited because I need to ask: Is there really a hotel called that?

Thanks for sharing,
Will

Will,
I don`t know where that hotel is... I`ve stayed in a few the owners overrated that much though!
Thanks very much for saying the lyrics connected with you- its encouraging to hear that.

Robert
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/06/20 02:04 PM
Back in the early 90's when we started listening to a lot
of Americana several of our favorite artists formed a
company called Dead Reckoning...

So nowadays we are listening to Americana style music on the
forum...cool.

The poetry is wonderful and the emotive vocal captures,
along with the band, the feeling of motion as the tune
progresses.

Janice's comment, "As always wonderful imagery!"

Indeed.

Topped off with a very nice mix also.

Nice!

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/06/20 05:50 PM
Robert, you are a poet turned lyricist, and you have mastered that!

Great backing tracks, excellent vocals, but man those outstanding lyrics did it for me.

Outstanding work Robert.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/06/20 08:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Wonderful lyric. The backing is very effective and well put together. Everything sounds good, and the whole package takes me on a mental and emotional journey that will likely be different next time I hear this. And I will.

I`m glad you enjoyed the journey!

Originally Posted By: rayc
I can't decide if your songs are perfect for sipping whiskey, cannabis or a mountain retreat.
Lovely narrative and melody.
Mentioning dead reckoning in proximity to and million stars struck me as a little odd - but I think I already had a sextant in my mind.
Lovely stuff.

I don`t know much about sipping whisky-those other things you mentioned quite a bit!
I was counting on some sailor to notice that, strictly speaking, stars aren`t involved in dead reckoning...and that most landlubbers like me think "winging it" when they hear the phrase.
Thanks for your always interesting comments.

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Wonderful lyrics, and a enjoyable delivery, Robert. Perfect arrangement to bring out the mood.

I appreciate your listen!

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Robert,
There are tunes that plug you in like a appliance to outlet, there are tunes that are done well, but far from emotional state, there are some that are bursting with fine detail like insane kaleidoscope.
I do not worry about those things when listening to your songs. I just fall back and enjoy. Robert, beautiful tune. Everything shines, especially lyrics and vocals.This was a treat to my ears and mind. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Misha,
Wow! If I every write album notes I`d like to use these great comments... and to think someone can actually relate to my "insane kaleidoscope" has made my day and then some.

Robert
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/07/20 12:20 AM
Robert

Certainly musically one of your best - great sound, mix and melody with very nice harmonies.
Lyrics as always a stand out.

Excellent.

Peter
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/08/20 08:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Love the lyrics! So poetic, they stand on their own.

Very nice!

Steve

Thank you, Steve!

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Conjures up all sorts of wonderful earth images.
Well done!

Thanks for listening, Captain!

Originally Posted By: Jim
Seems very lonely & desolate to me...
Good vocals, backing, lyrics, & delivery...
But if given a choice...
I rather not spend a night
in that "million star hotel" smile

Jim,
I think you missed the "lost in wonder" part of this, but I`m glad you had a strong response-to me that means as a songwriter I avoided bland!

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Back in the early 90's when we started listening to a lot
of Americana several of our favorite artists formed a
company called Dead Reckoning...

So nowadays we are listening to Americana style music on the
forum...cool.

The poetry is wonderful and the emotive vocal captures,
along with the band, the feeling of motion as the tune
progresses.

Janice's comment, "As always wonderful imagery!"

Indeed.

Topped off with a very nice mix also.

Nice!

J&B

J&B,
I appreciate those positives! The Dead Reckoning Americana label is still going - I`d never heard of it so thanks for the hint to check them out.

Robert
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/10/20 01:37 PM
Strong and captivating intro. Super band creates an enjoyable journey, that baritone guitar playing held chords sounds excellent and the mourning pedal steel and drums set the sea and windy mood.

Lovely chords, especially when expressing bit melancholy in the chorus. Your voice gives me shivers (like in the words wind and spell), somehow reminds me of Sting and his album The Last Ship.

Excellent touching lyrics, has very strong imagery and easy to dive into, I like especially the hopeful end "all we know is we sleep in the million star hotel".

Janne
Posted By: Deej56 Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/10/20 06:07 PM
Robert,

First off, just love your vocal on this—packs a lot of depth and emotion, magnified by the nice touches on the harmonies. Second, the write—really strong and beautifully poetic. Just a pretty song from start to finish. Enjoyed it a lot!

Regards,

Deej
Posted By: DIOECHOOTO Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/10/20 06:15 PM
Robert this is very nice indeed! I love your vocals! They are perfect for the music. And the lyrics? Amazing. Overall I'd rate this: Superb!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/11/20 02:37 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Robert, you are a poet turned lyricist, and you have mastered that!

Great backing tracks, excellent vocals, but man those outstanding lyrics did it for me.

Outstanding work Robert.

Thank you, Mario!

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Robert

Certainly musically one of your best - great sound, mix and melody with very nice harmonies.
Lyrics as always a stand out.

Excellent.

Peter

Peter,
Thanks for that- especially appreciate the thumbs up for the harmonies!

Robert
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/12/20 07:14 PM
Wonderful work Robert! Hands down my favorite song of yours!! The melody/lyrics/vocal/everything works together to create such a beautiful flowing tune! The title is great! Reminds me of the feel of some of Neil Young's softer/quieter material! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: musician17 Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/12/20 07:21 PM
This is really beautiful. It takes me on a journey. I found it hard, at first, to concentrate on the lyrics because the music is so beautiful, hypnotically so - but that's just me :-) One glance at the lyric sheet and I was ok.

It's the kind of track that gets better with each re-listen :-) Truly, well done.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/12/20 09:24 PM
I've said it before, Robert: I'm really drawn to your lyrics.

I like the gentle feel of the instrumentation. It creates a wistful feeling to complement the lyrics.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/13/20 11:43 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Strong and captivating intro. Super band creates an enjoyable journey, that baritone guitar playing held chords sounds excellent and the mourning pedal steel and drums set the sea and windy mood.

Lovely chords, especially when expressing bit melancholy in the chorus. Your voice gives me shivers (like in the words wind and spell), somehow reminds me of Sting and his album The Last Ship.

Excellent touching lyrics, has very strong imagery and easy to dive into, I like especially the hopeful end "all we know is we sleep in the million star hotel".

Janne

Janne,
Glad you caught the optimism in the ending.
I haven`t heard that Sting album- thanks for sending me there and for your thoughtful, kind comments.

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Robert,

First off, just love your vocal on this—packs a lot of depth and emotion, magnified by the nice touches on the harmonies. Second, the write—really strong and beautifully poetic. Just a pretty song from start to finish. Enjoyed it a lot!

Regards,

Deej

Thank you, Deej!

Originally Posted By: DIOECHOOTO
Robert this is very nice indeed! I love your vocals! They are perfect for the music. And the lyrics? Amazing. Overall I'd rate this: Superb!

Very generous that- thanks!

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Wonderful work Robert! Hands down my favorite song of yours!! The melody/lyrics/vocal/everything works together to create such a beautiful flowing tune! The title is great! Reminds me of the feel of some of Neil Young's softer/quieter material! Thanks, Torrey

Torrey,
Singing the title line I did think "this is very Neil"!
I appreciate those positive comments.

Robert
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/15/20 08:54 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
This is really beautiful. It takes me on a journey. I found it hard, at first, to concentrate on the lyrics because the music is so beautiful, hypnotically so - but that's just me :-) One glance at the lyric sheet and I was ok.

It's the kind of track that gets better with each re-listen :-) Truly, well done.

Thank you- that`s very kind!

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I've said it before, Robert: I'm really drawn to your lyrics.

I like the gentle feel of the instrumentation. It creates a wistful feeling to complement the lyrics.

I appreciate that- "wistful" seems about right.

Robert
Posted By: rsdean Re: The Million Star Hotel - 02/19/20 02:32 PM
Robert,

I love this song... It's like a great James Taylor song, but with more edge.

Great vocal and production.

Bob
© PG Music Forums