PG Music Home
Posted By: GShoe Bossa With BIAB - 02/14/20 03:10 PM
It was 9 years since I updated BIAB and was I ever impressed by the great artists that have recorded for the Real Tracks for BIAB 2020. I recorded this song for the jazz category.

https://www.garyandmaureenshoe.com/bossa-with-band-in-a-box.html
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/14/20 04:17 PM
Right, GShoe?!? When I bought it again last year, I hadn't had it since 2005, so you can imagine how thrilled I am, too. Love this bossa tune. Ron Carter has always been a favorite bassist of mine. Phil Woods, another favorite, even does some cool RTs with his alto sax. Nice new guitar you got, too. Keep 'em coming, Gary.
Posted By: GShoe Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/15/20 01:02 PM
Thanks Babu. I love your stuff, too. smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/15/20 05:30 PM
Gary,

A very nice tune. Well played and nicely mixed.

An enjoyable listen.

fj
Posted By: bluage Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/15/20 10:44 PM
Dear 'GShoe'...

Your lovely tune, Bossa With BIAB, is as cool as starlight, yet warm as sand on a beach under an idle summer sun. It dances and flows, it's intimate, it's sweet, and whatever your Realtrack choices were, they're ideal for the genre. Your electric guitar work is nimble, playful, not too many notes, just enough to make the spaces between them sound as musical as the notes themselves. It's brevity only serves to make me want to listen to it again, as I already have. smile

Great to hear a jazz-influenced composition via BIAB on the forum!

Until the next one,

LOREN (a.k.a. 'bluage')
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/16/20 02:42 AM
I'll just agree with everything bluage wrote because I think he's expressed it much better than I could. Well done, GShoe!
Posted By: GShoe Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/16/20 09:41 PM
Thanks for your kind words Loren. I've read your thoughtful words about other artists and feel flattered. Kenny Baron just mesmerized me. He plays in areas where I've heard no others and it's him that inspired the melodies you heard on the EPI-339.

Best to You,

Gary Shoe
Posted By: GShoe Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/16/20 09:42 PM
Thanks GhostGum !!!
Posted By: GShoe Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/16/20 09:43 PM
Thanks Floyd Jane !!!
Posted By: GShoe Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/16/20 09:44 PM
Hey nice vocals on your home page man. Nice variety.
Posted By: GShoe Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/16/20 09:47 PM
Thanks for appreciating a jazz vibe. I dig your Americana / Country tunes.
Posted By: furry Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/16/20 09:49 PM
Gshoe, very tasty track. Nice melody and a it kept my feet tapping right through
Posted By: GShoe Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/17/20 12:36 AM
Thanks furry !!
Posted By: bluage Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/18/20 04:22 AM
Hello, again, Mr. Shoe...

I'm intrigued by your comment about Kenny Baron's 'Real Track' performance. I've thought of him as a mostly low-key, rather introspective pianist.

May I ask, when you described his playing as 'mesmerizing', were you referring to his rhythmic, or melodic stylings, or both?

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,

LOREN
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/18/20 11:08 AM
Nice work on this one - it flows stunningly well smile The groove is fantastic, and I find it nice and peaceful to listen to.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/18/20 12:20 PM
Lovely guitar playing. Nice use of BIAB as a backup band. I like it and I'm not even that into jazz.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/18/20 01:59 PM
Hi Gary ...

Good to "meet" you! I'm not around a whole lot these days due to my wife's serious medical issues, but put aside a little time today to listen to a few tracks. I'm delighted I got to hear this! Bossa/Jazz/R&B ... all among our very favorite genres and you gave each of them ... well, not so much R&B, I guess ... a real shine ... spit and polished! I enjoyed my listen very much! Thanks for the great entertainment.

Oh ... I also got a new guitar a little over a year ago ... A Stromberg Monterey Jazz. Love it! Your Epi sounds real sweet! Your playing is smooth and nicely phrased. Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/18/20 06:58 PM
Welcome aboard.

Hard to go wrong with a well done Bossa...and this one certainly is.

Love the backing and melodic playing.

J&B
Posted By: GShoe Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/22/20 10:00 AM
Hey Loren;

Definitely both his melodic and rhythmic finesse. Even when he vamps in Band In A Box. But I was stunned when I heard his work on YouTube.

Gary
Posted By: GShoe Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/22/20 10:01 AM
Thanks J&B. What inspiring players.
Posted By: GShoe Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/22/20 10:06 AM
Thanks Deryk. We are so fortunate to have these resources available to inspire us. I've always been melodically bent, and these players just pull it right out of you.
Posted By: GShoe Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/22/20 10:11 AM
That's a nice compliment jptjptjpt.
Posted By: GShoe Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/22/20 10:17 AM
Wow, I just checked out the Stromberg. Hadn't heard of them before. Very nice. Thanks for your kind words. Wonderful players on BIAB.
Posted By: GShoe Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/22/20 10:20 AM
Your web site is cool. Nice variety and good recording, playing, and vocals.
Posted By: GShoe Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/22/20 10:24 AM
Alan, my wife is also experiencing medical issues. Best wishes to you both.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/22/20 10:26 AM
Gary,
Really smooth arrangement and excellent playing! Bossa always had a special place in my heart. Enjoyed it! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: GShoe Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/22/20 11:32 AM
Thanks Misha !!
Posted By: bluage Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/22/20 01:49 PM
Originally Posted By: GShoe
Hey Loren;

Definitely both his melodic and rhythmic finesse. Even when he vamps in Band In A Box. But I was stunned when I heard his work on YouTube.

Gary

Hello, Mr. Shoe...

Thanks for answering my question. Any particular Kenny Baron YouTube video you'd like to point out to me?

LOREN
Posted By: GShoe Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/24/20 01:38 PM
I'll look for it Loren. Can't seem to find it right now.
Posted By: GShoe Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/24/20 04:50 PM
Hi Loren;

I think I found the piece by Kenny Barron that entrenched me as a fan. I think there are aspects of this piece that remind me of the BIAB style I used, which was, btw, "_BOSSPAT". Pat Martino plays guitar, but I muted him to put in my part on the Epiphone (sacrilegious, right smile ). Anyway, I think Kenny's playing on this one is economical in the Count Basie tradition, but I'm particularly fond of his voicings, where he plays in the riff, his incredible melodies, wow. In other vids, he shows he can burn with the best. But this quiet, contemplative piece is my favorite so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZw9l1hiUwU

Best Regards,

Gary
Posted By: PeterF Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/24/20 06:48 PM
Very pretty indeed, a nice mix and some very nice guitar playing throughout.

Well done all round.

Peter
Posted By: bluage Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/24/20 10:35 PM
Hello, Mr. Shoe...

Thank you very much for your detective work smile !!!

I'll listen to it.

Sincerely,

LOREN
Posted By: GShoe Re: Bossa With BIAB - 02/25/20 12:09 PM
Thanks Peter !!
© PG Music Forums