PG Music Home
Posted By: BabuMusic Backroads - 02/15/20 03:03 PM
Here's a song recently redone. This is one of a couple tunes I did using guitar and violin solos. I just played bass and sang.

Backroads on SoundCloud
Backroads on YouTube

RealTracks in style: 691:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 694:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ElecRockArp Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 810:Guitar, Electric, Soloist DrivingCountryBallad Ev 065 (Bluesy)
RealTracks in song: 1877:Fiddle, Soloist CountryRob Ev 120
RealDrums [in style:RockHardModernEv8^2-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Open HiHat

Backroads

Backroads where we used to take our rides.
Backroads with the trees on either side.
You can get lost and you'd never know you're on the wrong trail
'cuz every antiques store has kindness on sale -or give away,
I'm on my way back home

Backroads go from Nowhere to No Time.
Backroads, crooked miles, but all one line.
Many cows are there to greet you while they manufacture milk,
and home-spun maidens seat you then go back to patchwork quilts
on their laps. On them old backroads.

CH: You know I'm on my way back home to you on them old backroads.
I'm winding down that trail to you on them old backroads.
Back home on old backroads.

SOLO

Backroads, a cool breeze whispers in the trees.
Backroads can coax the lamb inside of me.
With every twisted turn the car takes I know I can hardly wait,
cuz just like backroads winding through the hillside like a snake
I'm home to you. On old backroads.

CH
When getting' lost, they calmly just reward me with another turn.
I take the wrong turn, yet I always end up on the right woad back to you.
On old backroads. Back home on old back roads...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Backroads - 02/15/20 05:53 PM
Marty,

A cool song. It has an excellent "driving vibe" to it. Catchy - or rather "infectious". In one listen it sounds like something you've known for years.

The mix sounds good. The vocal has some slight sibilance, but not a lot. I thought the bass could be a little punchier to match the nice drive of the song (a little thing).

The trading off between the guitar and fiddle is nice and they seem to "match" each other playing-wise.

There is an unnatural warble to the solo guitar due to the fact that you are using a 65 bpm RT in a 120 bpm song (an assumption). That 65 bpm guitar is being squeezed so much by the program that it produces that warble. You can use a soloist that is half the bpm of that song (and it works great to do that) if you set that 65 bpm RT to Half-Time (when you select it in the picker). You can get some outstanding, soulful leads that way. However, in this case it might not give you the kind of lead you want - that matches the fiddle like this does playing twice its speed (for that you might need to find on 120 bpm soloist...)

I like this song!

fj
Posted By: rayc Re: Backroads - 02/15/20 06:26 PM
In a way the warble matches the vibrato.
The stretch can be a "colour" when considered in placement.
The bass playing is really tight & in the pocket.
Good work.
The vocal is much better treated.
Cool.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Backroads - 02/15/20 08:29 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Marty,

There is an unnatural warble to the solo guitar due to the fact that you are using a 65 bpm RT in a 120 bpm song (an assumption).

fj

Outstanding, Floyd! 65 in a 111, but nice ear, man. You're also right that I was trying to match the fiddle --kinda of a square peg in a round hole thing. Nice catch! Thanks so much for taking the time. Your comments are always packed with useful info.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Backroads - 02/15/20 08:35 PM
I like the energetic guitar/fiddle back and forth and your raspy vocal suits the song.

"You can get lost and you'd never know you're on the wrong trail
'cuz every antiques store has kindness on sale -or give away,"

Good lyrics!

Robert
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Backroads - 02/15/20 08:36 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc

The vocal is much better treated.
Cool.

Thanks, rayc. You're another guy I follow for comments to others, too. Man, I spent a bunch of time with that deesser thing. Tried all of the ways suggested on Mario's thread. Still working on it.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Backroads - 02/15/20 08:39 PM
The bass sounds really good in this song, and I think you used the RealTracks in a really neat way here.

Great job!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Backroads - 02/15/20 08:39 PM
I actually thought that the wobble was a new guitar effect!

Very nice in the pocket groove, super vocal and lyrics, and instrumentation. Loved that "devil went down" violin.

I really liked this one!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Backroads - 02/16/20 09:19 AM
Hi Marty,

My favorite of yours so far. Great groove! And great hook too. And as always I really like your vocal, nice job on the bass too.

I hear the warble on that guitar realtrack that others mentioned but it didn't bother me. The licks it is playing is pretty much perfect for the song and fits well with the fiddle. During the faster passages it actually sounds kind of cool, like the player had really killer vibrato.

Excellent song! Looking forward to hearing your next one.

BTW both of your links point to the same place; the youtube link points to soundcloud.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Backroads - 02/16/20 10:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
The bass sounds really good in this song, and I think you used the RealTracks in a really neat way here.

Great job!

Thanks for listening, Ember. This is so much fun --wish it was a job. Well, on second thought, that would probably ruin the fun.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Backroads - 02/16/20 10:42 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I actually thought that the wobble was a new guitar effect!

Thanks, Mario. And I really enjoy your inspiration. Floyd was right, tho. I mismatched the solo to the tempo because I was only interested in the interaction with the fiddle. Still, building these songs in BiaB is much faster than mixing. Have a great day!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Backroads - 02/16/20 11:03 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

I hear the warble on that guitar realtrack that others mentioned but it didn't bother me. The licks it is playing is pretty much perfect for the song and fits well with the fiddle. During the faster passages it actually sounds kind of cool, like the player had really killer vibrato.

BTW both of your links point to the same place; the youtube link points to soundcloud.

Thanks, Dave. I fixed the link, and that warble might be my new guitar signature sound. haha. No.

Right now, I am listening to yours and Chris's new album, All Shades Of Blue. Man, you guys blow me away. Such tasteful guitar parts surrounding her captivating vocal. THANKS SO MUCH!! I wanna play bass with you guys.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Backroads - 02/16/20 01:01 PM
The fiddle gives the right travelling mood from the beginning.
Lyrics have many interesting countryside images. The melody has 60's vibes.
Nice interplay between the fiddle and the solo guitar.
The drums and bass play well together giving that tight rolling rhythm, nice to know that you play the bass smile Good breaks.

Janne
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Backroads - 02/16/20 01:52 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
The fiddle gives the right travelling mood from the beginning.
Lyrics have many interesting countryside images. The melody has 60's vibes.
Nice interplay between the fiddle and the solo guitar.
The drums and bass play well together giving that tight rolling rhythm, nice to know that you play the bass smile Good breaks.

Janne

Thanks, Janne. I'm really enjoying your music. Some amazing lyrics and productions. Thanks.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Backroads - 02/16/20 02:52 PM
Not gonna parse it out...

Whether riding around in our Subie or cycling we love backroads
to the extent that sometimes we'll head out and say "let's get
lost!" So this really hit home. We have hundreds of miles of
isolated dirt roads in our area and we take advantage of them. smile

Enjoyed it!

J&B

PS FWIW We try to not vary more than 15-20% in either direction
regarding RT tempos. But sometimes the funky artifacts can
add their own character. The ears of the beholder I guess.

Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Backroads - 02/16/20 08:11 PM
The fiddle kicks. I kind of like that warbling guitar. Give it a unique wild, out-of-control feel.

Nice production!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Backroads - 02/16/20 09:42 PM
BabuMusic, using that "squeezed" realtrack created a cool matching vibe to the violin! Don't know if you did that on purpose but you created something interesting!! The song is super...got a great feel to it! Thanks, Torrey
© PG Music Forums