PG Music Home
Posted By: Greg Johnson NEW SONG POST: Country Club Motor Lodge - 02/23/20 10:32 PM
Hello forum friends. Been absent too often these days. I thought I retired. Turns out I just changed jobs......from working for pay as a physical therapist to working as chauffeur, cook, tutor, etc. and no pay! Oh well, it is great, though demanding, to be a full time dad. Since this forum is full of other old guys like me who seem to appreciate nostalgia and sentiment, here is a song right up that alley. This is based on a real part of my past. My grandmother owned the Country Club Motor Lodge in the 60's and 70's. To me, it was magical.....warm, friendly, simple and sweet. I remember the smell of the cinnamon rolls and fresh coffee that were out in the mornings. My mom was from SLC and we had many large family get togethers at the motel. I have completely lost track of those on that side of the family that are still alive, but that building, although destroyed decades ago, to make room for a 4-story condo complex, will always live in my heart. The image is from a postcard from that special time gone by. Hope you enjoy! Will catch up on my listens as this one gets played. Take care. Greg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GN62GNZ?tag=sa-b2c-new-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

How Ironic that the postcard is for sale on Amazon!

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/countryclubmotorlodge
Absolutely wonderful song, Greg!
Happy you are still doing this... you are so talented!

Will
Posted By: Scott C Re: NEW SONG POST: Country Club Motor Lodge - 02/23/20 11:39 PM
I agree another awesome tune. What a cool vocal and story in your lyric.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: NEW SONG POST: Country Club Motor Lodge - 02/24/20 12:23 AM
A lovely, poignant song, Greg. Well done.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: rayc Re: NEW SONG POST: Country Club Motor Lodge - 02/24/20 02:44 AM
Could be an Eagles track - has that Desperado lilt and intimacy.
Hi Greg,

A good song can get you smiling and singing and maybe even dancing. A great song can alter your mood, affect you with a particular ambience, fill your mind and memory with imagery and take you on a journey into someone else's past.

This is a great song.

I can't praise it enough, I absolutely love it. The vocal simply slides and weaves through the superb lyrics and the melody is melancholy and sweet.

Great great job Greg.

Martin smile
So beautiful and so nostalgic ... another one of your genuine classics. "A trip back to a different time / When the candy bar was just a dime". On top of your sublime writing skills, you've got this silky, warm voice that just delivers everything you sing in your unique, individual way ... I don't get jealous about others' gifts, but if I did, I'd be envious of yours :-) Stunning song, I could almost smell the cinnamon :-) Well done.
Posted By: ROG Re: NEW SONG POST: Country Club Motor Lodge - 02/24/20 01:46 PM
Hi Greg,

It makes me just want to go back and visit that place and that time, when everything
seemed so easy and relaxed. A fabulous song, so emotive, so visual, spinning in images
with every line.

A wonderful vocal delivery which more than does justice to the song. Loved the simple
backing, the tempo, the whole feel of the production.

Amazing.

ROG.
Hey Greg,

Been out of forum loop for awhile, but I'm working on something I will be posting soon.

This is an outstanding song! An older Eagles feel. When you can do a song with just one instrument & a vocal and it holds up... You know it's good, and this one certainly is.

My Mom ran a motor lodge in Colorado Springs for a few years in the late 60's and this took me right back to those days.

Once again a really fine job!

Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: NEW SONG POST: Country Club Motor Lodge - 02/24/20 02:24 PM
Hi Greg ...

As a kid, I always thought a chocolate cream pie was the smoothest thing in the world. And then, as a senior adult, I heard this and knew I'd been wrong all those years. This is nostalgia at its best. Loved the simplicity of the song and your vocal accents every word perfectly. I seriously doubt there any singers here ... or anywhere else ... who has as smooth and soothing voice as you do.

That was such a wonderful listen. WOW!

Best to you and yours ...

Alan
Posted By: PeterF Re: NEW SONG POST: Country Club Motor Lodge - 02/24/20 07:01 PM
Greg

Incredibly evocative, and beautifully sung. Very nice set of lyrics, and a pretty melody.

Continuing the excellent roll you are on in between chores....(as many people say when retired "how did I ever get time to go to work"}.

Peter
Another beauty, Greg. Everyone was saying Eagles, I was thinking Bruce Hornsby. So I went on youtube and listened to them both. IMHO, your voice is richer than Hornsby. And while Henley can do dark SoCal better than anyone, you still sound more pleasing than him for songs like this.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: NEW SONG POST: Country Club Motor Lodge - 02/25/20 04:50 AM
Wonderfully sweet and nostalgic. But there's also a palpable sadness in those great chords (and the melody atop them) that mellows the sweet with that so-right dark-chocolate. Sounds good. I might suggest a bit more pad (just a hint, barely audible) under the opening piano. Hugely enjoyed this.
I really like this one, Greg! Man, your vocal gets me every time, such great tone. And really enjoyed the story telling lyrics too.
Wow - what a tune smile It really hits heavy, particular with the vocals here. It packs an emotional punches and the whole as a whole really evokes some strong nostalgia. It is sweet and sad and heavy and soft all wrapped into one.

You should be really proud of this one. Thanks for sharing!
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Greg ...

As a kid, I always thought a chocolate cream pie was the smoothest thing in the world. And then, as a senior adult, I heard this and knew I'd been wrong all those years. This is nostalgia at its best. Loved the simplicity of the song and your vocal accents every word perfectly. I seriously doubt there any singers here ... or anywhere else ... who has as smooth and soothing voice as you do.

That was such a wonderful listen. WOW!

Best to you and yours ...

Alan

Alan expressed my sentiments perfectly.
Posted By: dani48 Re: NEW SONG POST: Country Club Motor Lodge - 02/26/20 04:13 PM
Hi, Greg !

I think this must be
one your absolute best !
I am completely awed by everything
about it, melody, performance
mix and lyrics !!! Aah what
a beautiful tune !!:))

Congrats !
Dani
Posted By: Robertkc Re: NEW SONG POST: Country Club Motor Lodge - 02/26/20 08:41 PM
Greg,
You own this nostalgic bittersweet ballad style.
Wonderful vocals ( of course!) and a memorable flowing melody.
Very, very enjoyable!

Robert
Professional sounding recording and performance.

Convincing emotional delivery.

Another beautiful song from you, Greg.
Posted By: furry Re: NEW SONG POST: Country Club Motor Lodge - 02/26/20 10:27 PM
This is an exceptional song Greg. Perfectly balanced musically and vocally. Piano just sets the song off beautifully.
It's a damn shame you hadn't written this when country music WAS country music and not pop. This song would be perfect for the likes of Willie Nelson to sing. I really love this
We love (the) Eagles and almost everything from that rich west coast music period.

And this could be on an Eagles' basement tape!

Sometimes songs that are so personal have limited appeal beyond the writer but, man,
is this ever the polar opposite of that. It's stunningly engaging lyrically. The imagery
is over the top great.

And your vocal with the sparse well produced backing is tremendous. At the risk of
redundancy your voice on this is very Henleyesque.

One of the absolute best forum ballads.

Kudos!

J&B

PS Hope you bought that card smile
Posted By: rsdean Re: NEW SONG POST: Country Club Motor Lodge - 02/28/20 09:53 PM
Greg,

Just wonderful... I am a fan.

Bob
Greg,

You already know I love this. smile

A exceptional write - as are ALL of your songs. This one has an early-Tom-Waits vibe (doesn't get much better than that).

The simple piano backing is the perfect vehicle.

Your vocal is right-in-the-pocket (as always).

A delight. My usual stamp at the end...You should be famous!

fj
Oh, WOW, what a great song, story, lyrics, and sentiment performed with the perfect voice, Greg. I know what you mean about retirement, and I love it, too! Man, this is going to be a great day of listening to the rest of your songs on SoundCloud,
Posted By: dcuny Re: NEW SONG POST: Country Club Motor Lodge - 02/29/20 04:53 PM
Fantastic vocal and arrangement. Super write, excellent job placing me into that time and place.

Loved the turnaround of the rhyme scheme and the repeat of the verse at the end.

Really enjoyed this - a very emotionally satisfying song. laugh

One nit - it sounds "boomy" and bass heavy over my speakers. No one else mentioned it, so... it may be just me.

And congratulations on your "new" job! wink
Posted By: Deej56 Re: NEW SONG POST: Country Club Motor Lodge - 03/05/20 03:06 AM
Greg,

(Sigh) . . . just sweet in every respect. I love the softness of your vocal--dripping with emotion and depth. And a wonderful write, and that piano just pushes it forward . . . just pops in all the right ways. Terrific tune!

My best regards to you,

Deej
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Absolutely wonderful song, Greg!
Happy you are still doing this... you are so talented!

Will

Thanks so much Will for the listen and the kind words! Much appreciated!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Scott C
I agree another awesome tune. What a cool vocal and story in your lyric.

Thanks so much Scott! Dig your new one with the harp!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Leon1
A lovely, poignant song, Greg. Well done.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks so much Leon for the listen and the nice comments! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums