PG Music Home
Posted By: Robertkc Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/25/20 07:03 PM
Impressions of WestWorld cobbled to a mantra from Paradise Lost, welded to a riff Scott came up with.
We hope you enjoy as you consider the future!

Style is _HROCKLA.STY (LA Hard Rock, All RealTracks)

RealTracks in style: 995:Bass, Electric, HardRockLA Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 999:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockLAFuzzyA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 996:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockLACrispA-B Ev 120
RealDrums [in style:RockHardLA^7-a:Snare, Bell Ride , b:Snare, Crash Ride
RDrums American Roots16ths
Rt2534 Guitar 132-string acoustic
RT3262 Cello rhythm Celtic

Spirit Level

Spirit Level

I request thee maker
from my clay
mould a man more than human
mistakes were made
mistakes were made
Einstein Galileo to Newton
I request thee maker
from my clay
mould a man more than human
mistakes were made
mistakes were made
Einstein Galileo to Newton

synew synapse chimera light
1 sing the body electric
silicant angel filament eye
shining soul synthetic

open your 3D heart
fill the spirit level
what will you feel when you see me
am I god or devil

give you the gift of memory
knowledge of the ancients
seduction deceit strategy
complete my robosapiens

open your 3D heart
fill the spirit level
what will you feel when you see me
am I god or devil

© Robert Cordrey Dec. 2019
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/25/20 08:15 PM
This is very original.
Great work on this.
Really enjoyed my listen.
Rob4580
Posted By: Scott C Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/25/20 08:55 PM
Was playing with some distortion and modulation and the main riff popped out. Then off to Robert for vocal, lyric which I think is one of his best and a very cool mix.

Two different guitars on this one:

Gibson ES335 and a Gibson SG
Amp was a Marshall 1974x
Effects were two Eventide H9s..
Posted By: rsdean Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/25/20 09:34 PM
Robert / Scott,

This is an amazing production. I love the lyrics and vocal delivery - one of your best Robert, especially when you sing in the higher register.

Love Scott's guitar work. Tremendous chops and just a driving sound that never lets up here.

You guys could be the next Neil Young & Daniel Lanois... smile I could see this track fitting in perfectly on Le Noise.

Bob
Posted By: Al-David Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/26/20 01:00 AM
Robert & Scott ...

Cool song. Very different from what we typically hear on this forum. I love the diversity of music here! Thanks for something different and refreshing. Tip of the hat top both of you. Best to you both ...

Alan
Posted By: rayc Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/26/20 06:55 AM
The 1st verse gave me a very Violent Femmes vibe and the vocals, Robert, in that section were strident and strong - fabulous in fact.
A good riff to weld words to.
Nice one chaps.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/26/20 10:21 AM
Nice!!

Man, that first verse .... too cool for words.

I always enjoy your collaborations with Scott, and I think this is your best yet! Very original, and very good.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/26/20 12:17 PM
Great work - loved the tune, I thought it sounded really inventive and nicely catchy. Loved your vocals on this one too. Rayc above compared it to Violent Femmes, which I can definitely understand. I'm a huge Violent Femmes man so maybe that's why this tune resonated with me.

Thanks so much for sharing!
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/26/20 01:39 PM
Fantastic lyric well delivered. The musical portions were inspired and the mix, non-standard perhaps, but engaging. As a collaboration, it seems so right as to be inevitable.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/26/20 08:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
This is very original.
Great work on this.
Really enjoyed my listen.
Rob4580

Thank you, Rob!

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Robert / Scott,

This is an amazing production. I love the lyrics and vocal delivery - one of your best Robert, especially when you sing in the higher register.

Love Scott's guitar work. Tremendous chops and just a driving sound that never lets up here.

You guys could be the next Neil Young & Daniel Lanois... smile I could see this track fitting in perfectly on Le Noise.

Bob

Bob,
I`m glad you could hear how Scott`s riff drives this- the lyrics just seemed to fall in line with it easily.
Wow, I really should listen to some of the music I missed in the years I was building a house- I`ve never heard Le Noise but have it bookmarked now!
Thank for those very kind comments

Robert
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/26/20 09:17 PM
Robert & Scott, this is outstanding. Love your twist of words, and that guitar is sweet. Very intoxicating rhythm!!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/27/20 02:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Robert & Scott ...

Cool song. Very different from what we typically hear on this forum. I love the diversity of music here! Thanks for something different and refreshing. Tip of the hat top both of you. Best to you both ...

Alan

Alan,
With one exception ( https://soundcloud.com/user-564042721/the-myrmidons-of-fanatica-with-guitar-by-scott-c ) this is probably the heaviest offering from us.
Thanks for your listen.

Originally Posted By: rayc
The 1st verse gave me a very Violent Femmes vibe and the vocals, Robert, in that section were strident and strong - fabulous in fact.
A good riff to weld words to.
Nice one chaps.

Thanks RayC,
I listened to that band for the first time yesterday and found them original and quirky... but not like this at all! Oh well- glad you approve of my vocals- fun to go big after all the ballads.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice!!

Man, that first verse .... too cool for words.

I always enjoy your collaborations with Scott, and I think this is your best yet! Very original, and very good.

That`s appreciated, Dave!

Robert
Posted By: edshaw Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/27/20 04:48 PM
Very good sound. I don't know how youse guys come up with music like this, but it works.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/27/20 07:14 PM
Robert/ Scott

An excellent listen, a nicely constructed piece, with strong complimentary guitar parts.
Enjoyed the lyrics and the vocals, especially the contrast in the high parts to the lows.

Very well done.

Peter
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/28/20 12:09 AM
Robert & Scott
So unusual, brave and different! Such a cool collaboration! When music started, I thought that I might of clicked the wrong link smile
Musically, it is pure fun. Experimental, but not abusive to ears. Listens extremely well, even with the "feel" morphing throughout the tune. Loved how Scott's guitars shaped this. Lyrics are very futuristic. More please! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/28/20 01:24 PM
Thanks everyone for checking out the song and the awesome comments. Song started out with an old late 60's guitar riff and Robert sprinkled some magic on it. Love the way this song turned out
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/28/20 07:18 PM
Robert,

I love when you turn to your Rock side. "Theatrical Rock" is how I think of this - not sure if that is a genre, but it should be (early Genesis, King Crimson, etc). Your lyric style, your melody sense, AND your vocal ALL fit SO well into that niche. Super cool.

Scott's guitar work fits perfectly and adds another signature.

Excellent mix. Excellent music. Cool, cool song!!

fj
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/29/20 02:00 PM
"Impressions of WestWorld cobbled to a mantra from Paradise Lost,
welded to a riff Scott came up with."

Well that certainly sets the stage!

Man, that first verse grabs you from the get go and you
are along for the journey.

Dunno know what to call this...not that it matters!
Maybe very intelligent and musical folk psychedelia would
suffice smile

Wonderful melding of the vocal and guitar performances
with the lyric.

Different, well done in all aspects and a most
enjoyable listen.

Carry on you two!!!

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/29/20 05:54 PM
Purple Haze or Window Pane??? Just teasing! This is a wonderful trip!! Love the groove and the texture of the music!! Really interesting lyric!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 02/29/20 08:24 PM
You know a song is good when it has its own "sound" and this is very original. I can hear some influences in there but not pinpoint them - you've really brought them together. Looking forward to more like this.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 03/01/20 02:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Great work - loved the tune, I thought it sounded really inventive and nicely catchy. Loved your vocals on this one too. Rayc above compared it to Violent Femmes, which I can definitely understand. I'm a huge Violent Femmes man so maybe that's why this tune resonated with me.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Thank you,Deryk.
I guess I`ll have to listen to that band more to get the connection.
I`m happy you liked this!

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Fantastic lyric well delivered. The musical portions were inspired and the mix, non-standard perhaps, but engaging. As a collaboration, it seems so right as to be inevitable.

The chopping cello is a little unusual on a rock tune-I liked the way it went with Americana drums.
Thanks for your positive comments.

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Robert & Scott, this is outstanding. Love your twist of words, and that guitar is sweet. Very intoxicating rhythm!!

Thanks, Marty!

Originally Posted By: edshaw
Very good sound. I don't know how youse guys come up with music like this, but it works.

Ed,
Our musical sandboxes are very different- we just fling ideas at each other and take a picture of the result!

Robert
Posted By: musician17 Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 03/01/20 03:18 PM
Not usually my kind of music, prima faciae at least, this ... but THIS really, really does work! I was glued to it from beginning to end ... loved it! I want to hear it yet again :-) Love how it just disappears into the ether at the end ... superb job.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 03/02/20 04:55 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Robert/ Scott

An excellent listen, a nicely constructed piece, with strong complimentary guitar parts.
Enjoyed the lyrics and the vocals, especially the contrast in the high parts to the lows.

Very well done.

Peter

Thanks, Peter - I really like Scott`s guitar parts as well!

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Robert & Scott
So unusual, brave and different! Such a cool collaboration! When music started, I thought that I might of clicked the wrong link smile
Musically, it is pure fun. Experimental, but not abusive to ears. Listens extremely well, even with the "feel" morphing throughout the tune. Loved how Scott's guitars shaped this. Lyrics are very futuristic. More please! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

I`m glad we surprised you with that opening,Misha!
Thanks for those very positive comments.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert,

I love when you turn to your Rock side. "Theatrical Rock" is how I think of this - not sure if that is a genre, but it should be (early Genesis, King Crimson, etc). Your lyric style, your melody sense, AND your vocal ALL fit SO well into that niche. Super cool.

Scott's guitar work fits perfectly and adds another signature.

Excellent mix. Excellent music. Cool, cool song!!

fj

That`s very kind, Floyd- Thank you!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 03/02/20 09:57 PM
Hi Robert and Scott,

You made a really cool song! At the start I thought “where is this lead me too”?, with the Americana drums. I expected a didgeridoo to come in (would have liked that as well). I don’t know why I had to think about that instrument, it was just there in my head. But the song developped in such a nice way, reminding me in some way to the kind of (protest)songs made during the Vietnamwar. Everything in your song fits very well and the vocals were impressing.

Hans
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 03/03/20 11:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"Impressions of WestWorld cobbled to a mantra from Paradise Lost,
welded to a riff Scott came up with."

Well that certainly sets the stage!

Man, that first verse grabs you from the get go and you
are along for the journey.

Dunno know what to call this...not that it matters!
Maybe very intelligent and musical folk psychedelia would
suffice smile

Wonderful melding of the vocal and guitar performances
with the lyric.

Different, well done in all aspects and a most
enjoyable listen.

Carry on you two!!!

J&B

Thank you, J&B- we plan to do just that; more twisted electro-mantras to come, no doubt!

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Purple Haze or Window Pane??? Just teasing! This is a wonderful trip!! Love the groove and the texture of the music!! Really interesting lyric!! Take care. Greg

Greg,
No psycho tropics of any kind were used in this production... the damage was done and quarantined in my songwriting room long ago.
Glad you like this.

Originally Posted By: EdZ314
You know a song is good when it has its own "sound" and this is very original. I can hear some influences in there but not pinpoint them - you've really brought them together. Looking forward to more like this.

That`s very kind, Ed- we will try to oblige.

Robert
Posted By: jannesan Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 03/04/20 02:59 PM
Hypnotizing song, has sort of a native American mood. Psychedelic arrangement, Scott's playing is very strong and enjoyable, reminds me of the instrumental rock of the sixties. Effects on the vocal and Scott's guitar work really well.
As a technically oriented person, I like the lyrics very much... very interesting and different... ancient spirit combined with 3D heart and robosapien (I remember buying one for my nephew), makes me think that one day human could be a pure human-made machine, it is right then to ask "am I god or devil". Nice to hear something unique like this, your collaboration shows amazing creativity.

Janne
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 03/05/20 08:51 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
Not usually my kind of music, prima faciae at least, this ... but THIS really, really does work! I was glued to it from beginning to end ... loved it! I want to hear it yet again :-) Love how it just disappears into the ether at the end ... superb job.

Its nice to get a thumbs up from someone listening outside their usual go-to genres.
Thank you!
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Robert and Scott,

You made a really cool song! At the start I thought “where is this lead me too”?, with the Americana drums. I expected a didgeridoo to come in (would have liked that as well). I don’t know why I had to think about that instrument, it was just there in my head. But the song developped in such a nice way, reminding me in some way to the kind of (protest)songs made during the Vietnamwar. Everything in your song fits very well and the vocals were impressing.

Hans

Hans,
Funnily enough we have used a didgeridoo on a past song No White Flag( really hard to find a good recording to loop).
Thanks for your kind comments.

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Hypnotizing song, has sort of a native American mood. Psychedelic arrangement, Scott's playing is very strong and enjoyable, reminds me of the instrumental rock of the sixties. Effects on the vocal and Scott's guitar work really well.
As a technically oriented person, I like the lyrics very much... very interesting and different... ancient spirit combined with 3D heart and robosapien (I remember buying one for my nephew), makes me think that one day human could be a pure human-made machine, it is right then to ask "am I god or devil". Nice to hear something unique like this, your collaboration shows amazing creativity.

Janne

I agree Scott plays some tasty lines here!
The robo voice effects were fun and hard to balance in the mix.
I appreciate your attention to the lyrics and the AI dilema.
Thanks for such a thoughtful review.

Robert

Posted By: dani48 Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 03/06/20 04:28 AM
Hi Robert and Scott !

This was really original indeed !
A solid exciting tune with
quite unexpected turns in between !
I must congratulate you both for
this special treat !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 03/06/20 10:23 PM
Liked the urgency in your voice which we don't often get to hear. Had a Haight-Ashbury feel to it that I liked a lot (Jefferson Airplane) Nice work.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 03/07/20 04:13 PM
Thanks Dani & TuneMonger for your listens and comments.

Robert
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Spirit Level (with ScottC) - 03/08/20 09:15 PM
Great song!

Guitar drive this baby. Vocals sound really good.

Fascinating sound--piques my ears.
© PG Music Forums