PG Music Home
Posted By: Strummer911 my first post: What Can I Do - 02/26/20 11:17 AM
This is my first post to the User Showcase, and the first song I've recorded almost totally using BIAB. I am especially pleased with the guitar solo.

Title: What Can I Do

Composer: Steve Andrews

What Can I Do on Soundcloud

Style: _ROOTSRK.STY (Roots-Rock Guitar)

RealTracks:

RealTracks in style: ~~520:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 1259:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningRockA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 638:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RootsRockTremolo Ev 100
RealTracks in style: ~~406:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 136
RealTracks in song: 2586:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PunkMurray Ev 165
RealDrums [in style:RockRootsEv8^1-a:Snare, Open HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Only one other live rhythm guitar track that's pretty far back in the mix.

Everything was mixed and mastered using Mixcraft

Please let me know what you think. I appreciate constructive criticism.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 02/26/20 01:30 PM
Really nice punk-pop sensibility. Loved the breaks in the groove as the sections changed. The band is solid and your vocals blend well to my ears. You're right about that solo guitar bit. Proud-making. Nice to meet you. Excellent first post/first BIAB creation.
Posted By: Strummer911 Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 02/26/20 03:44 PM
Thanks a lot, I do appreciate your encouraging words
Posted By: Scott C Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 02/28/20 01:21 PM
Very nice. You will love this software. Excellent tune.. Guitar sounds great
Posted By: floyd jane Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 02/28/20 06:21 PM
Strummer,

Terrific energy to this tune. The mix sounds good. Overall, it has a real Elvis Costello vibe to it - nice job with BIAB to accomplish that. There are a few spots where the vocal could use a bit of tuning.

I enjoyed it. Welcome to the forum.

fj
Posted By: Robertkc Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 02/28/20 08:47 PM
I enjoy this Brit. rock style and you`ve done a great job with the production- this really has a "band" sound.
Your vocals are confident and energetic (as Floyd mentioned a little tuning called for) and suit the style.
Excellent first song post-welcome to the forum!

Robert
Posted By: furry Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 02/28/20 11:00 PM
Hi Strummer, not usually my scene, but, I enjoyed this one. Welcome along to the forum and well done on your first track. Biab is capable of so much as most members on here will testify.
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 02/29/20 01:10 AM
I like the song. It's energetic, engaging, and has a good vibe. The vocals are clear and sit well in the mix but I believe a bit of pitch correction on the vocals could improve the overall effect. Good first effort. Look forward to your next.
Posted By: rayc Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 02/29/20 01:17 AM
Good song.
I reckon you could pull back the vocals a little so they sit in the mix rather than on top of it.
Did you use reverb in your DAW?
If Y on what & what type?
Sometimes it's a matter of matching the reverb type and adjusting the amount so that things seem to be in the same room.
welcome & good work.
Posted By: Al-David Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 02/29/20 08:02 AM
Hello Strummer ...

Love the gritty sound to this! Somewhere between punk rock and Brit Rock. Nice backing tracks ... some great choices there! As far as the vocals, they were crisp and strong. As far as pitch issues ... I have the same problem. I just sing 'em as I can and and go with it. I'm a pretty good guitar picker but a so-so vocalist at best. But I just go with it! Hope you post some more music. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Alan
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 02/29/20 12:00 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Strummer,

Terrific energy to this tune. The mix sounds good. Overall, it has a real Elvis Costello vibe to it - nice job with BIAB to accomplish that. There are a few spots where the vocal could use a bit of tuning.

I enjoyed it. Welcome to the forum.

fj

Well done, Strummer. I really like the well-written song, and your choice of band. I agree with Floyd on the Elvis Costello vibe. First off, I am the least qualified to give advice on vocal, and I like Alan's suggestion to just do it. You have a good voice, but there are a few spots where it goes flat here. There are a few good ways to correct that. For me, it's my lack of confidence that often gets me off pitch. Keep 'em coming, man. I want more.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 02/29/20 12:18 PM
Welcome aboard...

The aforementioned Costello vibe is defintely there -- a good thing.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 02/29/20 05:36 PM
Really well done!! The vibe and attitude in the vocal match the band perfectly!! Really great mix too! Take care. Greg
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 02/29/20 09:14 PM
Agree with the other comments. This is a very good, solid rock song with good composition and a very catchy beat. You can do a lot with the vocal quality that you have and it really works for this song and this style. With just a few tweaks this could be taken up a whole notch.
Posted By: Strummer911 Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 03/02/20 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words and constructive criticism. Any suggestions what to use for pitch correction?
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 03/02/20 06:53 PM
Welcome to the forums - and really nice work on this! Loved the groove and thought it was really catchy too. Definitely gives me an Elvis Costello vibe.

Looking forward to hearing more from you - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 03/02/20 09:24 PM
This is a diamond that only needs a little more polishing. The polish would be to pitch correct the vocal a little. Other than that everything else is perfect.

A really good first write.
Posted By: Strummer911 Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 03/03/20 11:58 AM
Thanks Mario. Any suggestions on what to use for pitch correction? Is there a plugin you would recommend?
Posted By: MarioD Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 03/03/20 12:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Strummer911
Thanks Mario. Any suggestions on what to use for pitch correction? Is there a plugin you would recommend?

I use Melodyne Editor because I can use in with polyphonic tracks, however it is quite expensive:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Melo4EdBX--celemony-melodyne-4-editor-boxed

If you are only going to use it on your vocals then Melodyne Essential will work, plus it is a lot cheaper:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Melo4Ess--celemony-melodyne-4-essential-download

There are a number of other pitch correction program available that I have no experience what so ever. There are some free ones also. Google/Bing pitch correction software and you will find many.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Posted By: Strummer911 Re: my first post: What Can I Do - 03/03/20 01:41 PM
Thanks Mario, I appreciate it
© PG Music Forums