PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude Black Crack in the Wall - 02/27/20 08:05 AM
Black Crack in the Wall

We also have a video for this song, link at the bottom of this post.

Black Crack in the Wall (2020, Christiane Spruit)

Wheels are turning
now it's all coming to ground
What we needed, we don't need it anymore

Our children playing
while the dust clouds falling down
burned their dreams in the backyard of the mall

Days of laughter
I still hear the echo down the hall
from the good old days we had before the fall

Black crack in the wall
It won't happen again they call
They scale the city walls
burning bridges and the flames are rising tall
We've seen the black crack in the wall

All the answers
they are blowing in the wind
All the songs we heard and all the songs we sing
Words are burning we all saw the writing on the wall
HISTORY repeats itself, for us all

The Band:

1827:Bass, Electric, PopModernGrooveA-B Ev16 075
1839:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopModernGrooveA-B Ev16 075
1831:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopModernGrooveBrightA-B Ev16 075
1831:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopModernGrooveBrightA-B Ev16 075
PopModernGrooveSync16^1-a:Snare on 4, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

I used EZDrummer2 for the Shaker, tambourine, and cymbals.

I'm playing the acoustic, an electric rhythm guitar track and the lead guitar.

Mixed with Reaper using native plugins, also plugins from Waves and iZotope, mastered with Ozone 9, more detail available upon request.

All comments welcome!

Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/27/20 08:25 AM
Powerful vocals, excellent backing, different. Not a genre I'm naturally drawn to but this was well worth the listen. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/27/20 09:37 AM
Pro quality vocals, band, and leads. I don't think I've heard a better one from you guys...and you consistently put out high-quality tracks. Loved it.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/27/20 11:46 AM
Wow - what a tune! Enormously powerful vocals, with superb harmonies that are instantly ear-grabbing. Definitely getting a bit of a Pat Benatar vibe on this one, which is definitely a good thing in my books.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/27/20 12:02 PM
Hi, Dave. Christiane really tells the story with such emotion. Your guitars, as always, are perfect. Great tune!!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/27/20 01:55 PM
A STRONG lyric delivered with a power packed emotive vocal and supported by a great lead guitar performance. The outro is
is a great example of vocals and an instrumental solo working perfectly in tandem. The entire production is nailed...everything,
the band, the vocal/guitar performances and the mix.

A song that should be heard by many not just for the message
but for the musicality of it also.

And that acoustic intro...yeah.

The video's sparseness helps drive the message home.

Y'all NEVER fail to deliver!

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/27/20 07:03 PM
Dave / Chris

Loved everything about it! Wonderful vocal, great guitars from the acoustic intro to the searing ending.
Great mix & overall production.

Simply top quality music.

Peter
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/27/20 07:59 PM
Hi Dave and Chris
Completely agree with Peter's comments, as well as Bud and Janice's - you never fail to deliver.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/27/20 10:06 PM
Absolutely amazing! Very good lyrics and a vocal performance that is really first level. I truly enjoyed listening to this!

Thanks for sharing such a diamond of a song!

Will
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/27/20 11:38 PM
Dave & Chris,
another gem. I guess it is more on the rock side of the blues.
I hear a little more rage in Chris vocals, definitely makes this tune more powerful. Guitar work is excellent. I like raw acoustic feel mixed in. Overall, I can only look up to you two and learn smile

P.S. Since you mentioned "all comments"... I liked the opening with acoustic, it felt different and good, however it felt like all instruments come in little two soon. A part of me wants to hear more of that acoustic. If it was my choice, I would let vocal and keys join the guitar and then all other instruments come at 0:27 on drum roll. Just 2 cents of opinion wink

Excellent tune with fresh approach!
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/28/20 12:15 AM
Hi Chris & Dave ...

What a terrific song ... in every possible way. The lyric is strong. As always, Chris' voice is strong on emotion and so nice to the ear. And your guitar work, Dave, is so sweet! The tracks and mix are done so nicely. This is strong! What a great listen!

Best to both of you ...

Alan
Posted By: bluage Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/28/20 01:18 AM
Dear 'blueattitude' and Ms. Christiane Spruit...

Any performer, ANY PERFORMER -- instrumentalist, singer, songwriter, whatever -- who deliberately and purposefully creates a song that addresses the terrifying presence of racism ANYWHERE on this globe, as directly, as courageously, as fiercely, and with such unapologetic righteousness as you two did in your 'buck-stops-here' song, Black Crack in the Wall, deserves a humble, grateful and respectful bow from me! In fact, I'll 'do you one better': I got your back on this mad.

I'm gonna give you a moment to read what I wrote so you can feel the truth, the urgency of what I wrote above...

Okay, time's up smile !!! And now, the 'kudos'. Thank you for your courage. Thank you for your obvious(?) concern about the rise of violent racism in this world. Thank you for not second-guessing your instincts. Thank you for joining the masses of people all over this globe who are trying to calm everybody down so we can clear our heads and start listening to our hearts. Thank you !!!

'blueattitude', you play your guitars as though someone was trying to take them away from you, but I am glad you defended yourself and held onto them smile. Practice pays off, right???

Ms. Spruitt, Ms. Spruitt, Ms. Spruitt...Listening to you exhorting the message behind the lyrics and the dialogue that appears in the video, caused me to think of you as a singing Joan of Arc. The emotional committment you poured into your voice was utterly striking and empowering (to me, at least). Thank you!

As of this moment, this very moment in time, I regard both of you as musical artists who clearly are not afraid to speak out on what concerns you according to the dictates of your conscience. I mean it. If I had medals on hand, I'd pin them on your breast -- uh, I mean, only on 'blueattitude's' breast, Ms. Spruitt laugh laugh laugh.

God bless you, God keep you, God love you, God protect you, and thank you (yet, again) for applying your musical skills towards the solution of a seemingly insoluable social problem.

As forum members 'Bud & Janice' exclaimed, Black Crack in the Wall is "...a song that should be heard by many not just for the message, but for the musicality of it also". Hearin' ya' loud an' clear, 'Bud & Janice'!!!

With my utmost respect and deepest sincerity,

LOREN (a.k.a. 'bluage')
Posted By: rayc Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/28/20 03:47 AM
Is that a pick scrape to accompany "...history..."?
If it's not then you might address the sound or the distortion of the voice.
Terrific song, playing & singing.
No nits other than the above.
COOL.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/28/20 07:46 AM
Dave / Chris,

You have really kicked it up a notch with this one...

WOW! Tremendous song, vocal and production.

You guys are quite the team. Loved it!

Bob
Posted By: Scott C Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/28/20 01:33 PM
Love the sound from your acoustic. This is an excellent song. As always Chris has an awesome vocal and very cool lyric. Loved your guitar work on this. Took the song to another level. Well done
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/28/20 08:27 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave / Chris

Loved everything about it! Wonderful vocal, great guitars from the acoustic intro to the searing ending.

Peter

Amen to that and the message of this song!
For my $ the best vocal yet by Chris - her timing and ferocity are a perfect compliment to the lyrics.

Robert
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/29/20 08:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Powerful vocals, excellent backing, different. Not a genre I'm naturally drawn to but this was well worth the listen. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the listen, especially since you don't normally listen to this type of music smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/29/20 08:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Pro quality vocals, band, and leads. I don't think I've heard a better one from you guys...and you consistently put out high-quality tracks. Loved it.

Cheers, Tangmo!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/29/20 08:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - what a tune! Enormously powerful vocals, with superb harmonies that are instantly ear-grabbing. Definitely getting a bit of a Pat Benatar vibe on this one, which is definitely a good thing in my books.

Thanks for sharing smile

Thanks for stopping by, Deryk, we appreciate it.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/29/20 02:31 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Hi, Dave. Christiane really tells the story with such emotion. Your guitars, as always, are perfect. Great tune!!

Hey Marty,

Yeah, I thought Chris did a great job on this. Me? I'm just having fun wink

Thanks, man!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/29/20 03:20 PM
Chris & Dave,

A great listen.

A powerful song. A powerful vocal to match. And excellent background vocals.

The production adds to the power. The acoustic is really well done. And the electrics and piano are blended in seamlessly as they join. Nice bass. Excellent drum choice. Tasteful percussion additions (you are so good at "the little things" - the art of production). Great mix.

If y'all raise that bar any higher you're gonna make it impossible to get over smile

Music.

fj
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 02/29/20 03:30 PM
I went with the video. Cool song. I like the beat. Good lyrics and vocals. Good use of BIAB. Well done production. Good work to all.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/01/20 08:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
A STRONG lyric delivered with a power packed emotive vocal and supported by a great lead guitar performance. The outro is
is a great example of vocals and an instrumental solo working perfectly in tandem. The entire production is nailed...everything,
the band, the vocal/guitar performances and the mix.

A song that should be heard by many not just for the message
but for the musicality of it also.

And that acoustic intro...yeah.

The video's sparseness helps drive the message home.

Y'all NEVER fail to deliver!

J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud! We both always enjoy reading your comments, means a lot smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/01/20 10:10 PM
Dave / Chris

Peter

Thanks, Peter!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/02/20 09:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Dave and Chris
Completely agree with Peter's comments, as well as Bud and Janice's - you never fail to deliver.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks for the listen and comments, Leon!

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Absolutely amazing! Very good lyrics and a vocal performance that is really first level. I truly enjoyed listening to this!

Thanks for sharing such a diamond of a song!

Will

Happy you liked this one, Will! Looking forward to hearing a new one from you one of these days!
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/02/20 12:17 PM
hi this has great passion vocals are fantastic and guitar works is excellent mix is perfect thanks eric
Posted By: edshaw Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/02/20 12:45 PM
What a fine recording. Shades of Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, U2 -- an anthem to a cause. Out of the loop, I'm not too sure exactly what that message is, but for sure the track made me sit up and lean in close to the speakers. I have been following Dave Bell for a while. This one, I heard last week and right away bookmarked it. Good going. BTW, impressive body of work Dave and Chris are creating -- Go, Blue Attitude!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/02/20 03:45 PM
Nice, bit surprising, acoustic intro leads to a powerful anthem against the dark forces of the world, your loud and strong voice is needed to rise above theirs. Great lyrics, vocals, guitars, mix. I'm amazed how you can be so productive and still produce great quality songs one after another, thanks for this one too.

Janne
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/02/20 06:57 PM
Great song and lyrics Dave.

The vocals are especially strong on this and as always great guitar.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/02/20 08:37 PM
Hi Dave and Chris,

After what I read in all the posts on your strong song, what can I add?
What I liked especially is when Chris sings the last line of the chorus and the leadguitar follows like it was glued to her voice. Very nice effect!
The song, the vocals, the instruments all were delicious to listen to, although most of your songs are too!

Cheers,
Hans
Posted By: MarioD Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/02/20 08:54 PM
Dave and Chris, you have done some great songs in the past but this one is definitely your best to date. I agree with most all of the previous comments: I found absolutely nothing wrong with this.

If I had heard this in a record shop I would have purchased it right then and there. This is definitely air play ready.
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/02/20 10:03 PM
Wow. Where to start? 100% agree with all of the great feedback already posted. This song instantly grabbed me and did not let go. I was completely caught up in it. For me as well, this is not a style that I would normally listen to but those vocals and that guitar rocked hard, and pulled me into your world, and won me over. It's still echoing through my head now ...

Thanks for a great song and a super performance!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/03/20 07:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Dave & Chris,
another gem. I guess it is more on the rock side of the blues.
I hear a little more rage in Chris vocals, definitely makes this tune more powerful. Guitar work is excellent. I like raw acoustic feel mixed in. Overall, I can only look up to you two and learn smile

P.S. Since you mentioned "all comments"... I liked the opening with acoustic, it felt different and good, however it felt like all instruments come in little two soon. A part of me wants to hear more of that acoustic. If it was my choice, I would let vocal and keys join the guitar and then all other instruments come at 0:27 on drum roll. Just 2 cents of opinion wink

Excellent tune with fresh approach!
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Hi Misha,

Yes, definitely more of a rock song than we normally do.

Your suggestion about the opening could certainly work. One thing I always do with every song we have ever done is get back to it after not hearing it for a while and listen again with fresh ears, I almost always hear things in the mix/arrangement than I missed the first time. So when I do that I'll try and change the intro and see if it works better, easy enough to do with a couple of mouse clicks.

Feel free to make those kind of comments anytime!

Thanks for the listen, happy you liked it smile
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/03/20 11:40 AM
Well this made my head spin. It's strange to me to hear a song for the first time and feel like "how have I missed this great song?" I mean that as in, it sounds like it was already a hit. It just has the level of quality throughout. Just so great.

Many great compliments have already been said, obviously. About the best I can say is, I will be listening to this for years. I feel like I have heard something really great. It just nails everything soooooo right for me.

Truly, thank you to the two of you for melding all of your talents into such great work. Man, this made me day!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/04/20 08:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Chris & Dave ...

What a terrific song ... in every possible way. The lyric is strong. As always, Chris' voice is strong on emotion and so nice to the ear. And your guitar work, Dave, is so sweet! The tracks and mix are done so nicely. This is strong! What a great listen!

Best to both of you ...

Alan

Thanks very much, Alan!

Best to you and Di also.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/04/20 08:50 AM
Originally Posted By: bluage
Dear 'blueattitude' and Ms. Christiane Spruit...

Any performer, ANY PERFORMER -- instrumentalist, singer, songwriter, whatever -- who deliberately and purposefully creates a song that addresses the terrifying presence of racism ANYWHERE on this globe, as directly, as courageously, as fiercely, and with such unapologetic righteousness as you two did in your 'buck-stops-here' song, Black Crack in the Wall, deserves a humble, grateful and respectful bow from me! In fact, I'll 'do you one better': I got your back on this mad.

I'm gonna give you a moment to read what I wrote so you can feel the truth, the urgency of what I wrote above...

Okay, time's up smile !!! And now, the 'kudos'. Thank you for your courage. Thank you for your obvious(?) concern about the rise of violent racism in this world. Thank you for not second-guessing your instincts. Thank you for joining the masses of people all over this globe who are trying to calm everybody down so we can clear our heads and start listening to our hearts. Thank you !!!

'blueattitude', you play your guitars as though someone was trying to take them away from you, but I am glad you defended yourself and held onto them smile. Practice pays off, right???

Ms. Spruitt, Ms. Spruitt, Ms. Spruitt...Listening to you exhorting the message behind the lyrics and the dialogue that appears in the video, caused me to think of you as a singing Joan of Arc. The emotional committment you poured into your voice was utterly striking and empowering (to me, at least). Thank you!

As of this moment, this very moment in time, I regard both of you as musical artists who clearly are not afraid to speak out on what concerns you according to the dictates of your conscience. I mean it. If I had medals on hand, I'd pin them on your breast -- uh, I mean, only on 'blueattitude's' breast, Ms. Spruitt laugh laugh laugh.

God bless you, God keep you, God love you, God protect you, and thank you (yet, again) for applying your musical skills towards the solution of a seemingly insoluable social problem.

As forum members 'Bud & Janice' exclaimed, Black Crack in the Wall is "...a song that should be heard by many not just for the message, but for the musicality of it also". Hearin' ya' loud an' clear, 'Bud & Janice'!!!

With my utmost respect and deepest sincerity,

LOREN (a.k.a. 'bluage')

Hi Loren,

I have to tell you that reading your extraordinarily kind review not only made my day, it also made Chris' day. It meant a lot to her to read your words, and she wanted to make sure that you knew that.

Thanks so much!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/04/20 09:24 AM
Wow. This is how it's done - the write, music and message...

Terrific vocals and great overall performance, arrangement and production.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/05/20 08:28 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Is that a pick scrape to accompany "...history..."?
If it's not then you might address the sound or the distortion of the voice.
Terrific song, playing & singing.
No nits other than the above.
COOL.

Hi Ray,

Not a pick scrape and not distortion. That's just the way she sang it, she was digging pretty deep I think. Not perfect, but has passion which is more important (for me)

Thanks for the listen/comments!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/05/20 08:28 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Dave / Chris,

You have really kicked it up a notch with this one...

WOW! Tremendous song, vocal and production.

You guys are quite the team. Loved it!

Bob

Thanks for stopping by, Bob!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/05/20 08:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Love the sound from your acoustic. This is an excellent song. As always Chris has an awesome vocal and very cool lyric. Loved your guitar work on this. Took the song to another level. Well done

Thanks, Scott!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/05/20 08:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Dave / Chris

Peter

Amen to that and the message of this song!
For my $ the best vocal yet by Chris - her timing and ferocity are a perfect compliment to the lyrics.

Robert

I think she did a great job on this too, thanks, Robert!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/06/20 08:06 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Chris & Dave,

A great listen.

A powerful song. A powerful vocal to match. And excellent background vocals.

The production adds to the power. The acoustic is really well done. And the electrics and piano are blended in seamlessly as they join. Nice bass. Excellent drum choice. Tasteful percussion additions (you are so good at "the little things" - the art of production). Great mix.

If y'all raise that bar any higher you're gonna make it impossible to get over smile

Music.

fj

Man, I've learned so much about production and mixing from hanging out here over the last few years from guys like you ... I'm just trying to keep up wink

Thanks, floyd!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/06/20 08:09 AM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
What a fine recording. Shades of Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, U2 -- an anthem to a cause. Out of the loop, I'm not too sure exactly what that message is, but for sure the track made me sit up and lean in close to the speakers. I have been following Dave Bell for a while. This one, I heard last week and right away bookmarked it. Good going. BTW, impressive body of work Dave and Chris are creating -- Go, Blue Attitude!

Hi Ed,

I didn't realize you were following our music. Thanks for dropping by, we both appreciate it smile
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/06/20 03:15 PM
Cool dark, bluesy rocker!! Love the feel of the track, Dave's tasty licks, and Chris' excellent vocal......all the elements of a great tune!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/06/20 10:08 PM
Another goodun from a great collab, enjoyed it thoroughly.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/07/20 08:36 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Nice, bit surprising, acoustic intro leads to a powerful anthem against the dark forces of the world, your loud and strong voice is needed to rise above theirs. Great lyrics, vocals, guitars, mix. I'm amazed how you can be so productive and still produce great quality songs one after another, thanks for this one too.

Janne

Thanks, Janne!

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Great song and lyrics Dave.

The vocals are especially strong on this and as always great guitar.

Thanks, David! Hope you will be back soon with some music, you have been missed!

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Dave and Chris,

After what I read in all the posts on your strong song, what can I add?
What I liked especially is when Chris sings the last line of the chorus and the leadguitar follows like it was glued to her voice. Very nice effect!
The song, the vocals, the instruments all were delicious to listen to, although most of your songs are too!

Cheers,
Hans

Hi Hans, thanks for mentioning that part during the solo, that is my favorite part smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Black Crack in the Wall - 03/08/20 09:05 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Dave and Chris, you have done some great songs in the past but this one is definitely your best to date. I agree with most all of the previous comments: I found absolutely nothing wrong with this.

If I had heard this in a record shop I would have purchased it right then and there. This is definitely air play ready.

Thanks, Mario!

Originally Posted By: EdZ314
Wow. Where to start? 100% agree with all of the great feedback already posted. This song instantly grabbed me and did not let go. I was completely caught up in it. For me as well, this is not a style that I would normally listen to but those vocals and that guitar rocked hard, and pulled me into your world, and won me over. It's still echoing through my head now ...

Thanks for a great song and a super performance!

One of the things I like about this site is you get to hear music genres you might not normally listen too. Helps you grow as a musician I think.

Thanks for the listen/comments!

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Well this made my head spin. It's strange to me to hear a song for the first time and feel like "how have I missed this great song?" I mean that as in, it sounds like it was already a hit. It just has the level of quality throughout. Just so great.

Many great compliments have already been said, obviously. About the best I can say is, I will be listening to this for years. I feel like I have heard something really great. It just nails everything soooooo right for me.

Truly, thank you to the two of you for melding all of your talents into such great work. Man, this made me day!

Very kind of you, Caaron, thanks very much! And it's time you posted a new one I think? wink

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Wow. This is how it's done - the write, music and message...

Terrific vocals and great overall performance, arrangement and production.

Thanks for the listen and kind works, Charlie!

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Cool dark, bluesy rocker!! Love the feel of the track, Dave's tasty licks, and Chris' excellent vocal......all the elements of a great tune!! Take care. Greg

Cheers, Greg!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Another goodun from a great collab, enjoyed it thoroughly.

Thanks TuneMonger!
© PG Music Forums