PG Music Home
Posted By: jannesan The Best And Irresistible - 03/02/20 04:30 PM
The Best And Irresistible

After a very dark ballad, here is something completely different, super light reggae smile A friend suggested that after all my self-ironic and self-bashing songs, I should make a song called "I'm the best and irresistible" in reggae style, and it would bring forth my best qualities (or not exactly mine, but my songwriting character's, called Poop Dilan laugh ). And that's what I did, it was fun to construct the song with all those drums and loops, and then to try even some rapping. I would have liked to rap/sing with Jamaican accent but I hope that my Finnish accent is exotic enough smile

RealDrums: DanceHall2, AltHipHop7, CloudRap, ReggaeTambo2
Loops: destiny_71, gangstar_beat_95, reggaeton_100_chorus, tear_drops_79_lead_d
RealTracks:
Electric Bass #1153
Acoustic Piano #1156
Electric Guitar #1154, #1436, #1638
Horn section #2110, #2290, #2346
Sax #2295, #2019
Synth #1395, #2698, #2703, #2705
SynthPad #1265
Vocal Mmms #3278
Vocal Oohs #3021, #3025

Vocals by me

Mixed in Cakewalk by BandLab

Lyrics:

I don't like to be the center of attention
I'm modest and frank, I hate pretension
You can't find me dancing in hot night clubs
more likely I'll be walking,
spotting birds in the scrubs.
I don't smoke, swear aloud or moan
I don't get drunk when I am alone
If you think I'm boring, then
that is your headache
I was born with this virtue,
it's not a mistake.

Every day I forget that
I'm the best and irresistible
every day I forget that
I am warm and sensible
every day please remind me
that my blue eyes are disarming
every day tell me my name is
Mister Charming.
Because if you don't
I'll be a wingless dove
who can't deliver your dreams
can't be the messenger of love.

I'm a hushed lagoon in a tender moonlight
giving the floor to the
warblers of midnight
I don't want to talk about
myself or my deeds
I would rather whisper in the
language of dreams.
I value wittiness, imagination
science, non-violence, negotiation.
I never bash you behind your back
I'm patient, forgiving,
I could never whack.

Every day...

Even though I'm frugal, doesn't mean no fun
I would never skimp for my dearest one
pleasure feels wasted when I feast on my own
only things that are shared are fruitfully sown.
Nature is my rescue, humor is my right
my world is pretty, not black and white
see how I'm full of love and laughter to give
always ready to prove, there's a reason to live.

Every day...

----
Janne
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/03/20 12:14 AM
Janne,

This is good.

A fun write. Your rapping is good - reminds me of some of Ed Sheeran's kind of rapping. A lot of words to get across and you did a good job of that.

Good job of combining all those instrument. A coherent sound. And a very good mix. I thought the sax seemed a little out of place against the other instruments, but that is a producer choice, of course...

Really well done. I like it.

fj
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/03/20 07:23 AM
You obviously had fun with this one, Janne!

Very clever writing as per usual. Nice arrangement too, so much going on ... but it works.

Finnish rap, yeah! smile
Posted By: rayc Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/03/20 07:29 AM
Well constructed song and arrangement too.
Lots of words but you don't trip over them.
well done.
Posted By: jamestoffee Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/03/20 08:39 AM
Awesome fun laugh

Thanks for sharing.

James
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/03/20 10:59 AM
Nice changeup Janne. This was really good. Super vocal and backtrack. Well done
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/03/20 11:25 AM
Wow - nicely done! I'm not sure I've ever heard rapping here on the showcase personally, but I thought this was well done. Someone else mentioned it, and this too made me think of Ed Sheeran. Loved the instrumentation, and your vocals suited with it perfectly.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/03/20 01:49 PM
"You can't find me dancing in hot night clubs
more likely I'll be walking, spotting birds in the scrubs"

We like that!

Something different and very well produced.

Lot of words for sure but you handled them precisely.

Interesting listen!

J&B
Posted By: furry Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/03/20 09:59 PM
Normally I HATE rapping, but this was different. It was musical and a load of fun.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/03/20 10:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

We like that!

Interesting listen!

J&B

Janne,
J&B quoted my favourite lines so I`m quoting their review- which is spot on.
Finnish rap- why not? You obviously had a good time both lyrically and musically and that comes through -poking fun at yourself and enjoying your creation.
Well done.

Robert
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/04/20 03:06 AM
Janne

An impressive production, a nice vocal on the chorus (a good melody) and a novel Finnish rap.

Nicely done.

Peter
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/04/20 03:52 AM
This is a fun and enjoyable track. One thing that really stands out for me is the way that the vocals seamlessly blend in with the other instruments. However you did it, with the mix or the effects or recording equipment, it's got a great smoothness to it yet maintains clarity. Always love an easy listen, and this is definitely one of those!
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/04/20 03:03 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
This is good.
A fun write. Your rapping is good - reminds me of some of Ed Sheeran's kind of rapping. A lot of words to get across and you did a good job of that.
Good job of combining all those instrument. A coherent sound. And a very good mix. I thought the sax seemed a little out of place against the other instruments, but that is a producer choice, of course...
Really well done. I like it.
fj

Thanks Floyd for your kind and positive feedback smile Very nice to hear Ed mentioned in the context of my song laugh Yes, I think the sax volume changes quite much so maybe that causes it to be out of place from time to time.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/04/20 03:04 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
You obviously had fun with this one, Janne!
Very clever writing as per usual. Nice arrangement too, so much going on ... but it works.
Finnish rap, yeah! smile

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your kind words smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/04/20 03:08 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Well constructed song and arrangement too.
Lots of words but you don't trip over them.
well done.

Thanks Ray for your kind comment smile I tried to rap each verse on one take, but I have to admit that I had to fix some parts and they could be heard in my intonation.

Janne
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/04/20 04:39 PM
Irresistible rhythm, and good, happy song with interesting vocals. Good choice on the sax, too. Thanks for sharing, Janne.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/04/20 10:22 PM
Lets see if I got this straight; a Finnish accent singing a rap song to a light reggae backing track. How in hell did you manage to pull this off so perfectly? cool

I generally don't like rap but this was very good. "You can't find me dancing in hot night clubs more likely I'll be walking, spotting birds in the scrubs" is a super line! You vocal, lyrics, and mix were all excellent.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/05/20 02:47 AM
Janne,

That chorus is such a great contrast to the rapping verse--very catchy, totally pops. Really contemporary pop sound to this. The production may seem a little busy to some, but for me it works given the vibe of the song. The vocal gets a little lost in the verses for me, more so the last one than those that come before it--but just a mix thing, I think, that can be easily tweaked. Radio ready tune with some fine tuning.

Really impressed with how you are pushing the envelope with your songwriting, Janne. Good stuff!

All my best,

Deej
Posted By: rsdean Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/05/20 07:52 AM
Janne,

Very cool and different. Much enjoyed! Your songs always sound great and I look forward to hearing them.

Bob
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/06/20 02:59 PM
Cool song Janne!! THe music is fun and energetic, and the lyrics are cool! Nice arrangement/mix/vocal too! Nicely done!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/06/20 04:30 PM
Originally Posted By: jamestoffee
Awesome fun laugh
Thanks for sharing.
James

Thanks James for liking and enjoying smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/06/20 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Nice changeup Janne. This was really good. Super vocal and backtrack. Well done

Thanks Scott for your nice supportive comment smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/06/20 04:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - nicely done! I'm not sure I've ever heard rapping here on the showcase personally, but I thought this was well done. Someone else mentioned it, and this too made me think of Ed Sheeran. Loved the instrumentation, and your vocals suited with it perfectly.
Thanks for sharing smile

Thanks Deryk for your positive words, especially another Ed laugh

Janne
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/06/20 09:50 PM
I liked the rapping, it worked well in the song. The lyrics had a nice theme that I bought all the way.
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/08/20 06:06 PM
We like that!
Interesting listen!
J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud for your nice review smile I'm glad you mentioned those lines, because they are so true laugh

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/08/20 06:10 PM
Originally Posted By: furry
Normally I HATE rapping, but this was different. It was musical and a load of fun.

Thanks Graham for your kind words smile I don't like rapping either, actually the verses, rapping parts, are melodic, having two notes, but I decided to rap just for fun smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/08/20 06:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
J&B

J&B quoted my favourite lines so I`m quoting their review- which is spot on.
Finnish rap- why not? You obviously had a good time both lyrically and musically and that comes through -poking fun at yourself and enjoying your creation.
Well done.
Robert

Thanks Robert, I appreciate your kind comment smile Glad you noticed the fun I had (and laughing at myself).

Janne
Posted By: bluage Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/09/20 01:52 AM
'jannesan!...

Oh, my, god, what a pleasant surprise! The Best And Irresistible is just that: irresisitible! It's tightly arranged, gorgeously harmonized, rhythmically upbeat, and as bright-feeling and energetic as a non-stop, deliriously exciting beach party happening on the magical island of 'Reggae-topia'. Bet you were movin' to the groove as you recorded this.

Your Real Track selections are 'off the hook'! The horn chart accompanied by the high-powered tenor sax performance took the song higher and higher on wings of happy, happier, happiest music-making. Your vocal performance of your cleverly-worded and humorous lyrics clearly indicate that some powerful inspiration took over your mind and heart. I heard confidence and joy in this sunny musical production.

Absolutely excellent and imaginative use of Band-in-a-Box (CUE roar of sustained, over-the-top, rafters-shaking applause!). Gimme, gimme some more, please! I like it 'muchly' laugh !!!

Truly-ooly,

LOREN

Posted By: Birchwood Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/09/20 07:20 AM
Hi Jannesan,

What pleasant surprise, you rapping in the couplets and then singing smootly in the chorusses!
I enjoyed your song for how its composed and performed. Very well! And the sax gave your song a nice, cheerful twist. I see Dave mentioned this also in his post.

The climax towards the end works out very exciting. Everyone will tell you your name is Mister Charming!!!

Hans
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/10/20 04:05 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
An impressive production, a nice vocal on the chorus (a good melody) and a novel Finnish rap.
Nicely done.
Peter

Thanks Peter, I appreciate your kind feedback smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/10/20 04:09 PM
Originally Posted By: EdZ314
This is a fun and enjoyable track. One thing that really stands out for me is the way that the vocals seamlessly blend in with the other instruments. However you did it, with the mix or the effects or recording equipment, it's got a great smoothness to it yet maintains clarity. Always love an easy listen, and this is definitely one of those!

Thanks Ed Z for your heartwarming words smile It's always a very hard task to find a balance between vocals and backing band, so I'm really glad you liked the mixing of my vocals.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/10/20 04:11 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Irresistible rhythm, and good, happy song with interesting vocals. Good choice on the sax, too. Thanks for sharing, Janne.

Thanks Marty, I'm glad you liked the sax smile And that you found the rhythm to be irresistible laugh

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/12/20 04:47 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Lets see if I got this straight; a Finnish accent singing a rap song to a light reggae backing track. How in hell did you manage to pull this off so perfectly? cool

I generally don't like rap but this was very good. "You can't find me dancing in hot night clubs more likely I'll be walking, spotting birds in the scrubs" is a super line! You vocal, lyrics, and mix were all excellent.

Thanks Mario for your positive feedback smile Nice to know that my rap worked for you smile And thanks for mentioning that line, hmmm I have already made a song about walking and more birding coming soon so that line describes me quite well laugh

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/12/20 04:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
That chorus is such a great contrast to the rapping verse--very catchy, totally pops. Really contemporary pop sound to this. The production may seem a little busy to some, but for me it works given the vibe of the song. The vocal gets a little lost in the verses for me, more so the last one than those that come before it--but just a mix thing, I think, that can be easily tweaked. Radio ready tune with some fine tuning.
Really impressed with how you are pushing the envelope with your songwriting, Janne. Good stuff!
All my best,
Deej

Thanks Deej for you nice comment smile I really appreciate your description 'contemporary pop', that's my goal, usually wink It is always difficult to mix vocals, especially my own, thanks for your valuable feedback!

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/12/20 04:52 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Very cool and different. Much enjoyed! Your songs always sound great and I look forward to hearing them.
Bob

Thanks Bob, I always appreciate your positive feedabck smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/12/20 04:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Cool song Janne!! THe music is fun and energetic, and the lyrics are cool! Nice arrangement/mix/vocal too! Nicely done!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg for finding time to listen and comment kindly my little song smile I'm glad you liked it.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/16/20 01:24 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I liked the rapping, it worked well in the song. The lyrics had a nice theme that I bought all the way.

Thanks TuneMonger for your kind words, glad you bought the lyrics also smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/16/20 01:31 PM
Originally Posted By: bluage
Oh, my, god, what a pleasant surprise! The Best And Irresistible is just that: irresisitible! It's tightly arranged, gorgeously harmonized, rhythmically upbeat, and as bright-feeling and energetic as a non-stop, deliriously exciting beach party happening on the magical island of 'Reggae-topia'. Bet you were movin' to the groove as you recorded this.

Your Real Track selections are 'off the hook'! The horn chart accompanied by the high-powered tenor sax performance took the song higher and higher on wings of happy, happier, happiest music-making. Your vocal performance of your cleverly-worded and humorous lyrics clearly indicate that some powerful inspiration took over your mind and heart. I heard confidence and joy in this sunny musical production.

Absolutely excellent and imaginative use of Band-in-a-Box (CUE roar of sustained, over-the-top, rafters-shaking applause!). Gimme, gimme some more, please! I like it 'muchly' laugh !!!

Truly-ooly,
LOREN

Thanks Loren for the sustained applause, I truly appreciate your long comment full of so many upbeat words that I can't count them all laugh "Gorgeously harmonized" and "bright-feeling and energetic" really warm my inspired mind and heart smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/16/20 01:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
What pleasant surprise, you rapping in the couplets and then singing smootly in the chorusses!
I enjoyed your song for how its composed and performed. Very well! And the sax gave your song a nice, cheerful twist. I see Dave mentioned this also in his post.
The climax towards the end works out very exciting. Everyone will tell you your name is Mister Charming!!!
Hans

Thanks Hans for enjoying and giving such an upbeat review smile

Mister Charming (formerly known as Janne) laugh
Posted By: Al-David Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/16/20 04:35 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Hi Janne ...

Yeah ... what Mario said! This is very creative. The b'g vocals are nice ... well, everything about this is nice!. That was unexpected and very pleasant! Nice work, Janne! Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: dcuny Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/16/20 11:05 PM
Great singing, Mister Poop Dilan... especially considering how firmly your tongue was planted in cheek. wink

I enjoyed the lyrics, as well as the excellent production!
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/18/20 11:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David

Yeah ... what Mario said! This is very creative. The b'g vocals are nice ... well, everything about this is nice!. That was unexpected and very pleasant! Nice work, Janne! Best to you ...
Alan

Thanks Alan for your nice comment laugh I'm content with making something you haven't expected smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Best And Irresistible - 03/18/20 11:26 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Great singing, Mister Poop Dilan... especially considering how firmly your tongue was planted in cheek. wink

I enjoyed the lyrics, as well as the excellent production!

Thanks David, your positive words about my singing, lyrics and production make me smile brighter laugh

Janne
© PG Music Forums