PG Music Home
Posted By: BabuMusic My Baby Don't - 03/07/20 01:44 PM
This morning was the first in 2 weeks that I didn't wake up coughing etc., so here is my only song about the flu. Many years ago I wanted to write a simple rock-n-roll blues tunes in Db, and the words "my baby don't" started creeping in, so I welcomed them. But what don't my baby do? The verses started saying she might be a little wacky, but then the chorus suggests the reason for the singer's point of view. The lyrics were written with a nod to the John Lennon school of writing, In His Own Words.

My Baby Don't on SoundClound
My Baby Don't video on YouTube

They key was changed to A for this version, not to accommodate my guitar playing friends, but to accommodate my aging voice. The vocal is a bit off, but I was never good at that part.

Thanks for listening and ALL comments are welcome. Stay well!!

RealTracks in song: 1563:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm BritBluesInvasionJohn Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 691:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120
RealTracks in song: ~~1025:Guitar, Electric, Strumming CleanOpen Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1363:Fiddle, Soloist GypsyJazzFast Sw 220
RealDrums [in style:NashvilleEven8^8-a:Snare, HiHat Open , b:Snare, Ride
I played bass and sang.

Thanks to Ed Shaw in an old post that informed me NOT to use artists' names when uploading these songs.

My Baby Don't

My baby she don't know me like she thinks.
My baby she don't know me like she thinks.
She tells the tailor to untighten my tie because she drinks, and that stinks.

My baby she don't think me like she knows.
My baby she don't think me like she knows.
She takes the time to turn out every light before she goes, and that blows.

CH: My baby don't, no, my baby don't like anyone with the flu.
My baby don't, no, my baby don't like you so boo hoo.
But then my baby don't like me like you do. And that's true.
SOLO

My baby she don't like me like she loves.
My baby she don't like me like she loves.
She tries to tell me that the tinker's toy has got no fuzz, but it does.

CH
Posted By: Robertkc Re: My Baby Don't - 03/07/20 04:39 PM
Marty,
Fun lyrics your aging voice carries off well. Rollicking backing works ( not sure about the fiddle break... but then the gal may love it more than I do!).
I trust you have banished that flu with this very enjoyable song.

Robert
Posted By: musician17 Re: My Baby Don't - 03/07/20 04:43 PM
Hahahaha - LOVED it!!! So, so much fun ... a simple blues sequence, but so well done that it had me tapping my feet in time with it throughout. A special nod to that fiddle solo, too!!! Well done :-)
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: My Baby Don't - 03/07/20 07:07 PM
Fun song. I really like your vocals on this. Good mix all around and I enjoyed my listen. Good rock and roll...
Posted By: PeterF Re: My Baby Don't - 03/07/20 07:48 PM
Very topical. Wasn't expecting the fiddle solo (which works well).

Good rollicking tune, and the vocals are strong.

Enjoyable.

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: My Baby Don't - 03/08/20 09:08 AM
Fun song, Marty! Love the lyrics. Also really like your vocal, I think you are your own worst critic when it comes to your vocal ability.

Not mad about the fiddle solo to be honest, a little too manic for my tastes. But loved everything else about the track.
Posted By: jamestoffee Re: My Baby Don't - 03/08/20 09:48 AM
Hi Marty,

Nice vocal delivery...The lyrics are up to date with the current worldwide COVID 19 spread. Regarding fiddle, I don't mind the instrument in the song for the solo, but it does seem a bit off on the feel/tempo being rushed. Maybe you could play around with the multi-tracks to get a solo to fit the groove a bit more.

Thanks for sharing.

-James
Posted By: rsdean Re: My Baby Don't - 03/08/20 10:20 AM
Marty,

Great! Love the song, vocal and mix. A fun tune delivered perfectly.

Bob
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: My Baby Don't - 03/08/20 12:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Marty,
( not sure about the fiddle break... but then the gal may love it more than I do!).
I trust you have banished that flu with this very enjoyable song.

Robert

Thanks, Robert. The fiddle is kinda supposed to be irritating like my baby who don't. The flu is dormant, but not entirely banished.

Originally Posted By: musician17
Hahahaha - LOVED it!!! So, so much fun ... A special nod to that fiddle solo, too!!! Well done :-)

Thanks for your comment, musician17. Glad you caught the the feel and not the flu!

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Fun song. I really like your vocals on this. Good mix all around and I enjoyed my listen. Good rock and roll...

Thanks, Charlie. I really appreciate your kind words.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Very topical. Wasn't expecting the fiddle solo (which works well).

Good rollicking tune, and the vocals are strong.

Enjoyable.

Peter

Thanks, Peter! Haha. Yeah, the fiddle solo was kinda the cough of the tune.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Fun song, Marty! Love the lyrics. Also really like your vocal, I think you are your own worst critic when it comes to your vocal ability.

Not mad about the fiddle solo to be honest, a little too manic for my tastes. But loved everything else about the track.

Haha. Thanks, Dave. Manic is a good word for that solo; it's supposed to be the irritating part of both the flue and my baby who don't. In a few months our new place should be ready to move into, and I hope then to get some of my friends in to do the important parts. Can I tap you for some of your sweet sounds then?

Originally Posted By: jamestoffee
Hi Marty,

Nice vocal delivery...The lyrics are up to date with the current worldwide COVID 19 spread. Regarding fiddle, I don't mind the instrument in the song for the solo, but it does seem a bit off on the feel/tempo being rushed. Maybe you could play around with the multi-tracks to get a solo to fit the groove a bit more.

Thanks for sharing.

-James

Thanks for your kind words and your suggestion, James. You're right about the mismatch. I've used the multi riff thing before, but...

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Marty,

Great! Love the song, vocal and mix. A fun tune delivered perfectly.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. Stay healthy!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: My Baby Don't - 03/08/20 12:14 PM
Marty,

ROCKIN'!

Fun song. Excellent BAND. The fiddle would not have been my choice, but I've heard bands that include that kind of a maniac-fiddle-guy and that is pretty much how they sound.

Your vocals are EXCELLENT. I'd be quite pleased if I could sing Rock tunes that well... (stop berating that singer, man!!). And they are REALLY well mixed. They sit in the overall mix perfectly (a bunch of people could learn something from you along those lines..)

Well done.

Sick, man! (HA!)

fj
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: My Baby Don't - 03/08/20 12:42 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Marty,

ROCKIN'!

Fun song. Excellent BAND. The fiddle would not have been my choice, but I've heard bands that include that kind of a maniac-fiddle-guy and that is pretty much how they sound.

Your vocals are EXCELLENT. I'd be quite pleased if I could sing Rock tunes that well... (stop berating that singer, man!!). And they are REALLY well mixed. They sit in the overall mix perfectly (a bunch of people could learn something from you along those lines..)

Well done.

Sick, man! (HA!)

fj

Hahaha. Thanks so much for your encouraging comments, floyd. Man, thanks. Like you, I love helping cuz it's a great way to learn, right?
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: My Baby Don't - 03/08/20 01:58 PM
Man this came out of the gate like a horse on fire. I knew from the first note that I was going to like this and it got even better from there. Vocals are great and well suited to the style and the song, and they really tell the story, which is the key.

Fantastic work, super fun, and great rockin' blues!
Posted By: jannesan Re: My Baby Don't - 03/08/20 05:52 PM
Great rocking and rolling rock'n'roll smile Very enjoyable vocals with some John and Paul vibes. And I like the crazy fiddle player.

Janne
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: My Baby Don't - 03/08/20 06:17 PM
Marty,
Head banging flu tune. Definitely approved by rusty spoon. Quite contagious...having the fiddle on the break was strange and courageous. I like it! Gives it hot western twist, probably makes some "classic" rockers furious and pissed. Glad your affair with Ms.F. is over, time to find a healthy "lover". Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: rayc Re: My Baby Don't - 03/09/20 12:34 AM
The fiddle wasn't amazing enough to replace expectations - nice idea though.
Good, fun song it is.
Your vocal is cool but most lines end on an esssss and it is quite sibilant. If you edited the end of lines so that the ess was just long enough to make the necessary sound for sense I reckon it'd be killer.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: My Baby Don't - 03/09/20 07:44 AM
Hi Marty,

At school we learned it is 'my baby doesn't', but that won't fit in this cheerful rocker!
The lyrics are fun and so is the song! Must be also fun singing it.
There is one minor thing; I would like your voice more upfront!

Hans
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: My Baby Don't - 03/09/20 11:18 AM
Originally Posted By: EdZ314

Fantastic work, super fun, and great rockin' blues!

Thanks, Ed. Glad you enjoyed the ride!

Originally Posted By: jannesan
And I like the crazy fiddle player.

Janne

Thanks, Janne. Sometimes a bit of a mismatch on the soloist tempo seems appropriate, but I've had fiddle players tell me this is a bit of a stretch.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Marty,
Head banging flu tune. Definitely approved by rusty spoon. Quite contagious...
Misha.

Haha. Thanks, Misha! As catchy as the Booggie Woogie Flu. hehe

Originally Posted By: rayc
The fiddle wasn't amazing enough to replace expectations - nice idea though.
Good, fun song it is.
Your vocal is cool but most lines end on an esssss and it is quite sibilant. If you edited the end of lines so that the ess was just long enough to make the necessary sound for sense I reckon it'd be killer.

Thanks, rayc. I always look forward to what you have to say. Thank you so much for your support.

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Marty,

At school we learned it is 'my baby doesn't', but that won't fit in this cheerful rocker!
The lyrics are fun and so is the song! Must be also fun singing it.
There is one minor thing; I would like your voice more upfront!

Hans

Thanks, Hans. Rock 'n' Roll was always the anti-school thing, I guess. But you're right, I am usually quite pedantic, although in 2 different songs I even use a double negative. Cringe!! When I mix others' vocals they are usually more out front; mine not so much. I have a tendency for mixing my bass too loud though.
© PG Music Forums