PG Music Home
Just composed this tune a few minutes ago. I LOVE the slow 12/8 timing, so made up a few chords and based a tune around it. If anyone wants this tune named after a loved one or place please let me know and it shall be done. I've also posted this on Facebook so, don't take forever to think about one grin

Style is _POPPNOS.STY (Pop Piano 12/8 Ballad)

RealTracks in style: 533:Bass, Electric, 12-8 Crystal Sw 065
RealTracks in style: 895:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment PopSlow12-8 Ev 060

MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2058:Strings, Rhythm CelticAir Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2558:Cello, Background SlowSwing Sw 065

Style is _POPPNOS.STY (Pop Piano 12/8 Ballad)
StringsCustom Synth is Hi-Q 049 01 Strings, Ensemble, Chamber Sforzando.tgs
SoloistCustom Synth is Hi-Q 001 01 Piano, Acoustic, Grand Sforzando.tgs

https://soundcloud.com/graham-wilson-1/untitled
Posted By: musician17 Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/18/20 12:44 PM
Graham, you have such a beautiful lyrical talent of writing and playing that accordion, it's genuinely moving. There's a funny-sounding chord (to my ears, at least) just before about 1:10, but who am I to nitpick and why would anyone care about that in the grand scheme of things? It's a beautiful, wistful melody you've written.

As for the title, what's the first thing that comes into your mind when you think of this tune? Use that as your title, I'd suggest ... that's what I do when I can't title something, haha.

Either way, I really, really liked this. Thanks for posting it up!
Posted By: furry Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/18/20 12:51 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
Graham, you have such a beautiful lyrical talent of writing and playing that accordion, it's genuinely moving. There's a funny-sounding chord (to my ears, at least) just before about 1:10, but who am I to nitpick and why would anyone care about that in the grand scheme of things? It's a beautiful, wistful melody you've written.

As for the title, what's the first thing that comes into your mind when you think of this tune? Use that as your title, I'd suggest ... that's what I do when I can't title something, haha.

Either way, I really, really liked this. Thanks for posting it up!

Yeah the ' funny chord '..... The tune's composed in A, and on bar 8 it goes into F just for variety

I'll wait for a title and see what comes up from whom ! LOL
Posted By: musician17 Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/18/20 01:02 PM
Originally Posted By: furry

I'll wait for a title and see what comes up from whom ! LOL

I could think of a title for it myself, but it sounds so wistful, it'd probably have to do with heartbreak or something, and I'm not going to go there, haha. Too many bad memories ;-) but hope you find a suitable title for it, it really is a genuinely beautiful tune.
Posted By: furry Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/18/20 01:52 PM
Thanks James, I've had one suggestion on FB, so hopefully a few more will come in.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/18/20 02:27 PM
I hear two people who are still in love after years of living remenishing and celebrating life.
Posted By: furry Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/18/20 02:28 PM
Yeah that would be a nice idea
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/18/20 04:08 PM
A gentle, flowing, relaxing tune, Graham.
Posted By: MarioD Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/18/20 05:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
I hear two people who are still in love after years of living remenishing and celebrating life.

Yes, I would name this after Donny and Joanne as both are having issues now.

You are my favorite accordion player and you have set a new bar for melodic composers. This was absolutely outstanding.

Keep composing dear friend.
Posted By: rayc Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/18/20 06:28 PM
Twelve Goes Into Eight
Lovely melody and arrangement Graham.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/18/20 07:08 PM
Loved it Graham. Very evocative. Great composing and playing. "Memories over the rolling hills"

Cheers

Mike B.
Posted By: furry Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/18/20 07:58 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Yes, I would name this after Donny and Joanne as both are having issues now.

You are my favorite accordion player and you have set a new bar for melodic composers. This was absolutely outstanding.

Keep composing dear friend.

Donny & Joanne Gaynor it is Mario
Posted By: furry Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/18/20 10:03 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
A gentle, flowing, relaxing tune, Graham.

Thanks Floyd. I actually had the chords laid down first, and then recorded the melody as it came into my head. I just left it as was without any tweaks
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/18/20 10:23 PM
Very pretty song. I don't know what it should be called but it's got to be something Irish.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/19/20 07:20 PM
We like that timing also and you made excellent use of it!

"...then recorded the melody as it came into my head." You certainly
have some lovely music flowing through your head!

And it flows like a gentle mountain stream...

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: furry Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/21/20 02:51 PM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Very pretty song. I don't know what it should be called but it's got to be something Irish.

I've changed the main title. It IS now called Donny & Joanne Gaynor ! Glad you like it
Posted By: furry Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/21/20 02:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We like that timing also and you made excellent use of it!

"...then recorded the melody as it came into my head." You certainly
have some lovely music flowing through your head!

And it flows like a gentle mountain stream...

Enjoyed it!

J&B

Aww thanks guys, lovely comment indeed and I'm blushing now
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/21/20 06:31 PM
Very nice, got the relaxodorphins moving through me really good. Enjoyed several listens. As a blues fan, 12/8 is my ballpark but this is altogether different, of course. Keep em coming!
Posted By: furry Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/22/20 12:42 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Very nice, got the relaxodorphins moving through me really good. Enjoyed several listens. As a blues fan, 12/8 is my ballpark but this is altogether different, of course. Keep em coming!

Thanks a million working on a few more to relieve boredom just now.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/22/20 01:26 PM
The title fits perfectly and I can see them smiling and dancing with each other, celebrating the special life they've had together. So Beautiful!!
Posted By: Scott C Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/22/20 07:37 PM
Lovely tune Graham. Well done
Posted By: edshaw Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/22/20 10:45 PM
That's a tune that ought to write itself, Furry. The style is unique in that it does not follow the standard verse/chorus/bridge format. Instead, it relies on nuances of melodic changes, one to the others, to draw the listeners' emotions out. This is all done very successfully and with exquisite taste. It would seem to me if a writer simply had an index card for each verse and noted the emotions evoked by each as the song progressed, the job would be well on the way. That's what I meant by it writing itself.
You are gifted.
Posted By: Al-David Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/22/20 11:34 PM
Hi Graham ,,,

You are, indeed, a wonderful musician! This is just so relaxing and pleasant to listen to. It flows so gently with no effort whatsoever. What a delightful listen!

I often use the #5 chord (The A chord in this case) in my verse endings or the sound ending. Depending on the song, #5 as a maj7th works good, too.

That was a real treat! Wishing you well ...

Alan
Posted By: furry Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/24/20 12:12 PM
The title fits perfectly and I can see them smiling and dancing with each other, celebrating the special life they've had together. So Beautiful!!

Thanks so much Belladonna stay safe oxox
Posted By: furry Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/24/20 12:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Lovely tune Graham. Well done

Thanks Scott, keep well old friend
Posted By: dcuny Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/24/20 04:35 PM
Lovely tune! smile
Posted By: furry Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/24/20 09:10 PM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
That's a tune that ought to write itself, Furry. The style is unique in that it does not follow the standard verse/chorus/bridge format. Instead, it relies on nuances of melodic changes, one to the others, to draw the listeners' emotions out. This is all done very successfully and with exquisite taste. It would seem to me if a writer simply had an index card for each verse and noted the emotions evoked by each as the song progressed, the job would be well on the way. That's what I meant by it writing itself.
You are gifted.

Thanks so much Ed, I never fail to get a melody with this lovely tempo, and indeed backing from biab
Posted By: furry Re: New tune, need a title. - 03/24/20 09:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Graham ,,,

You are, indeed, a wonderful musician! This is just so relaxing and pleasant to listen to. It flows so gently with no effort whatsoever. What a delightful listen!

I often use the #5 chord (The A chord in this case) in my verse endings or the sound ending. Depending on the song, #5 as a maj7th works good, too.

That was a real treat! Wishing you well ...

Alan

Aww thanks Alan, glad you liked it so much
A beautiful, elegant composition. It needs a name that captures dancing and the Scottish countryside, or as others suggested, a name that captures the spirit of a person or a couple. The way the instruments complement each other is very much like a romance.
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Lovely tune! smile

Thanks David
Originally Posted By: EdZ314
A beautiful, elegant composition. It needs a name that captures dancing and the Scottish countryside, or as others suggested, a name that captures the spirit of a person or a couple. The way the instruments complement each other is very much like a romance.

Thanks so much Ed
© PG Music Forums