PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude Still Got This Pain - 03/19/20 06:50 AM
Still Got This Pain

The Band:

564:Bass, Electric, Blues Monday Sw 065
689:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 085
BluesRock128^1-a:SideStick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat

I'm playing the three guitar parts.

Mixed with Reaper, mastered with Ozone, all details available on request.

Still got this pain (Christiane Spruit, 2020)

V1)
So many places
to come from and to go to
A lonesome road to roam
To walk the streets of Amsterdam and Paris
at least a hundred times
Nothing to keep me high
Still got this pain inside

V2)
I search high and I search low
in hope to find it again
I have to take it
I have to face it
I'll never feel it again
Still in pain
I'll never feel it again

V3)
I found myself in the strangest places
with no suspicious mind
What ever made me
maybe will save me
Back on track with a smile
At least a hundred lies
Still got this pain inside

Bridge (instrumental)

V4)
In all these days and all these nights
I took a walk on the wild
one day it tells me,
one day it will break me
I lost my love for my pride
I took myself for a ride

As always we appreciate anyone who takes the time to listen and comment!

EDIT: Added a few volume envelopes as per a suggestion from Ray and uploaded a new mix. Thanks, Ray!
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/19/20 08:13 AM
Flawless guitar (as usual) Lyrics match the mood of the track perfectly and the vocals are spot on. Great job.
Posted By: rayc Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/19/20 09:09 AM
"...at least..." jumps out for some odd reason.
Top narrative, good good melody, and a strong vocal performance, ( a couple of spots that get a bit loud - a vocal rider plugin would assist if volume envelopes are too convoluted - oh, Reaper - ReaComp vocal ride to 8dB is a handy preset).
Good BIAB arrangement and those guitar parts are ACE!
Top shelf folks.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/19/20 11:12 AM
Dave & Chris.

SO good! Y'all always deliver.

Everything just keeps creeping just a bit higher with each release.
The writing is strong - not always an easy line to walk in this genre. Folks often get to simple or too "complex" or "flowery" to the point of having no "heart". This oozes "heart".

Pro vocal.

Pro mix. Guitars sound great (of course). Drums AND bass - to die for. You do the best organ!! (Always!). SUCH a TASTY solo - real Pro stuff.

Y'all should be touring.

fj
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/19/20 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Flawless guitar (as usual) Lyrics match the mood of the track perfectly and the vocals are spot on. Great job.

Thanks for the listen and comments! smile
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/19/20 07:17 PM
Wow Dave and Chris! It immediately grabs you. It's like all of the usual comments apply, just notched up AGAIN. I'm always impressed with your(pl) work.

I was NOT expecting that second background at "at least a hundred times." Eerily perfect! That thing that blows me away about it is, it legitimately sounds like a backup singer to me. Not an echo of what was just sung; but it's own supporting role. Loved it!

As you know, your guitars always speak to me. It's like listening to a phenomenal song; in a different language. You know exactly what is be said without knowing what those words are.

Nice clean mix as well.

Mark me down as impressed once again!
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/19/20 07:29 PM
Great recording. Great vocals and guitar playing. Good lyrics. Good song.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/19/20 08:47 PM
Loved this. Was cool how Chris delivered the vocal. Cool phrasing. Dave yours guitar tracks were awesome. Well done
Posted By: MarioD Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/19/20 08:54 PM
Wow Dave and Chris, this is extremely tasty! Great vocal and as usual guitar chops!

You should be very proud of this fantastic blues.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/19/20 08:55 PM
Hi Dave and Chris
Another totally professional sounding effort. Like Floyd said, you two always deliver.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: PeterF Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/19/20 10:13 PM
Dave / Chris

Wonderful singing and playing. Loved the solo - beautiful tone and phrasing.

Top notch all the way.

Peter
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/20/20 08:20 AM
Hi Dave & Chris,

Dave, not only the song titlle reminded me on "Still Got The Blues", but your wonderful playing also reminded me on how gary Moore played his axe on that song (this is an ultimate compliment BTW).

Great song, great lyrics, great arrangement and, Chris, very, very well-sung.

No doubt: You two still got the blues and I beg you to keep 'em coming !

Stay healthy,

Stefan
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/20/20 10:11 AM
Wow - I thoroughly enjoyed this one smile The arrangement is fantastic, and it flows tremendously well. Nicely catchy without being overbearing, and it sets a mood from the get go. Top notch vocals and lyrics too.

I wouldn't change a thing - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/20/20 10:45 AM
Your song writing ability is amazing, Dave. So much variation, and every one is quite special. Your guitar and Chris' voice REALLY bring them all to a higher level of amazing. Keep 'em coming.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/20/20 02:02 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
"...at least..." jumps out for some odd reason.
Top narrative, good good melody, and a strong vocal performance, ( a couple of spots that get a bit loud - a vocal rider plugin would assist if volume envelopes are too convoluted - oh, Reaper - ReaComp vocal ride to 8dB is a handy preset).
Good BIAB arrangement and those guitar parts are ACE!
Top shelf folks.

Good catch Ray!

I do use vocal rider, the waves one. Normally does everything I need, but that particular phrase needed an extra 3db cut via volume envelope. I did the same to a couple of other spots too.

Great feedback, thanks!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/21/20 07:39 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Dave & Chris.

SO good! Y'all always deliver.

Everything just keeps creeping just a bit higher with each release.
The writing is strong - not always an easy line to walk in this genre. Folks often get to simple or too "complex" or "flowery" to the point of having no "heart". This oozes "heart".

Pro vocal.

Pro mix. Guitars sound great (of course). Drums AND bass - to die for. You do the best organ!! (Always!). SUCH a TASTY solo - real Pro stuff.

Y'all should be touring.

fj

Hi Floyd,

I love the production side of things, always something new to learn. Slowly getting better at it I think.

Thanks as always, we both really appreciate the support you have shown us over the last few years!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/21/20 01:18 PM
Hi Dave and Chris,

What cool Blues you both make together! Everything fits; the vocals, the leadguitar, the song itself! Your songs always give me a very relaxed feeling. I think I wrote it before: sipping a Rum and Coke (I don't like beer) in a pub and just enjoy listening your songs. To me you can play on forever, or till I'm brought to bed.

So, it's not so easy to say why this song is your best or not. They are all very good and well performed!
Oh yes, I must admit, one of your songs is still in my top 1; Valentines Way. But 'Still got this pain' could easily be number 2. Although... your other songs too!

Hans
Posted By: dcuny Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/21/20 05:20 PM
Excellent!

It took a couple listens through before I decided any problems with the mix could be attributed to my allergies.

And I enjoyed each and every listen. laugh
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/21/20 06:02 PM
Another great one, you two have the magic touch musically. Very, very pro sounding in every way.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/21/20 06:05 PM
Three back to back listens...yeah, we like!

You know I'm a sucker for sparse mixes and this one delivers with just the right amount of open feel.

We also like the light swing feel that really works well.

Man, do those drums ever pop.

Now on to the vocal and guitar performances...Your guitar chops are always, what's the word? hmmm...how about classy. And this tune is a wonderful example of that. Chris's vocal has a laid back mellow feel but still with the right amount of edge -- if that makes sense. Meaning it well delivers the pain of the lyric.

You two are and always have been inspiring!

J&B
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/21/20 09:58 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Wow Dave and Chris! It immediately grabs you. It's like all of the usual comments apply, just notched up AGAIN. I'm always impressed with your(pl) work.

I was NOT expecting that second background at "at least a hundred times." Eerily perfect! That thing that blows me away about it is, it legitimately sounds like a backup singer to me. Not an echo of what was just sung; but it's own supporting role. Loved it!

As you know, your guitars always speak to me. It's like listening to a phenomenal song; in a different language. You know exactly what is be said without knowing what those words are.

Nice clean mix as well.

Mark me down as impressed once again!

Caaron,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a great review, we really appreciate it smile

Time for a new one from you I think?

Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/22/20 08:41 PM
Dave and Chris,
Your tunes always inspire me. There are some stronger tunes & weaker ones, but there absolutely not a single song that you made that I did not like. I listened to this several times in past 2 days to come up with healthy critique. It is powerful, written, played and recorded very well. What I felt was missing is guitar "support" / talk back lines in some places in first half of the tune, for example 0:34 or 1:12. not even something elaborate, perhaps just couple of notes (or even single note tremolo). Sort of guitar saying: "I am here, listening".
Ok, I will shut up now.
Excellent teamwork! Congrats, and thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/22/20 11:52 PM
Dave & Chris ...

You guys are just so darn good! Your music is always radio ready to my old ears (turned 73 today- yikes!!!).

Chris' voice is pro and your guitar work puts the rest of us guitar pickers on notice. Such a great listen!

Wishing both of you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/23/20 10:32 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Great recording. Great vocals and guitar playing. Good lyrics. Good song.

Thanks for the listen and comment!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved this. Was cool how Chris delivered the vocal. Cool phrasing. Dave yours guitar tracks were awesome. Well done

Thanks very much, Scott. Loved your latest!

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Wow Dave and Chris, this is extremely tasty! Great vocal and as usual guitar chops!

You should be very proud of this fantastic blues.

Thanks, Mario! Yes, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/24/20 07:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Dave and Chris
Another totally professional sounding effort. Like Floyd said, you two always deliver.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks, Leon!

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave / Chris

Wonderful singing and playing. Loved the solo - beautiful tone and phrasing.

Top notch all the way.

Peter

Thanks, Peter! I used my homemade (Warmoth) strat on this one.

Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Dave & Chris,

Dave, not only the song title reminded me on "Still Got The Blues", but your wonderful playing also reminded me on how gary Moore played his axe on that song (this is an ultimate compliment BTW).

Great song, great lyrics, great arrangement and, Chris, very, very well-sung.

No doubt: You two still got the blues and I beg you to keep 'em coming !

Stay healthy,

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Gary Moore was certainly a force of nature! Man, that guy could play. And "Still got the Blues" is probably as close to a perfect blues song that was ever written. I did a tribute to him shortly after he died called "Still got the midnight blues", an instrumental that combined his songs "Midnight Blues" and "Still got the Blues". If I could play 1/10 as good as he could I would be a happy guy!

Thanks for your kind words, and you guys stay healthy over there too! Chris keeps me up to date on the situation over there.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/24/20 10:14 AM
Y'all are a a tag team bunch of musicians and writers. You just keep getting better.

Nice job.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/25/20 07:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - I thoroughly enjoyed this one smile The arrangement is fantastic, and it flows tremendously well. Nicely catchy without being overbearing, and it sets a mood from the get go. Top notch vocals and lyrics too.

I wouldn't change a thing - thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Deryk!

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Your song writing ability is amazing, Dave. So much variation, and every one is quite special. Your guitar and Chris' voice REALLY bring them all to a higher level of amazing. Keep 'em coming.

I really appreciate that, thanks, Marty!

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Dave and Chris,

What cool Blues you both make together! Everything fits; the vocals, the leadguitar, the song itself! Your songs always give me a very relaxed feeling. I think I wrote it before: sipping a Rum and Coke (I don't like beer) in a pub and just enjoy listening your songs. To me you can play on forever, or till I'm brought to bed.

So, it's not so easy to say why this song is your best or not. They are all very good and well performed!
Oh yes, I must admit, one of your songs is still in my top 1; Valentines Way. But 'Still got this pain' could easily be number 2. Although... your other songs too!

Hans

I'm a rum fan too, although just over ice. But then I also like beer and wine, depends on my mood. wink Most of the stores are shut down here as of yesterday except for essential services, but it turns out that liquor is deemed as being essential grin

Thanks, Hans!
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/25/20 08:43 PM
Love the lyric. One of Chris' strongest of those I've heard. It's a winning mix, the drums in particular are so present. Love the breaks between verses and that "lean in" thing they produce in this listener. Your play is perfectly expressive in tone and licks. Top-notch, Dave. Thanks.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/25/20 09:01 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Time for a new one from you I think?

Thanks for the suggestion. Not opposed to it, just juggling some major life challenges right now.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/26/20 09:40 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Excellent!

It took a couple listens through before I decided any problems with the mix could be attributed to my allergies.

And I enjoyed each and every listen. laugh

Thanks for the listens, David, happy you enjoyed it!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Another great one, you two have the magic touch musically. Very, very pro sounding in every way.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Three back to back listens...yeah, we like!

You know I'm a sucker for sparse mixes and this one delivers with just the right amount of open feel.

We also like the light swing feel that really works well.

Man, do those drums ever pop.

Now on to the vocal and guitar performances...Your guitar chops are always, what's the word? hmmm...how about classy. And this tune is a wonderful example of that. Chris's vocal has a laid back mellow feel but still with the right amount of edge -- if that makes sense. Meaning it well delivers the pain of the lyric.

You two are and always have been inspiring!

J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud, we always enjoy reading comments from you, we are both fans of your music.

And about the sparse mix, I've always been a fan of the KISS method wink
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/26/20 09:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Dave and Chris,
Your tunes always inspire me. There are some stronger tunes & weaker ones, but there absolutely not a single song that you made that I did not like. I listened to this several times in past 2 days to come up with healthy critique. It is powerful, written, played and recorded very well. What I felt was missing is guitar "support" / talk back lines in some places in first half of the tune, for example 0:34 or 1:12. not even something elaborate, perhaps just couple of notes (or even single note tremolo). Sort of guitar saying: "I am here, listening".
Ok, I will shut up now.
Excellent teamwork! Congrats, and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Hi Misha,

You are probably right. I'll revisit this song at some point, I always do, and almost always end up making changes.

Thanks, I appreciate your comments!

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Dave & Chris ...

You guys are just so darn good! Your music is always radio ready to my old ears (turned 73 today- yikes!!!).

Chris' voice is pro and your guitar work puts the rest of us guitar pickers on notice. Such a great listen!

Wishing both of you the very best ...

Alan

Nice of you to say that, Alan, but I happen to know how good a player you are! You should consider posting some of your older songs at some point that featured your guitar work, I've heard a couple but would love to hear more and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Y'all are a a tag team bunch of musicians and writers. You just keep getting better.

Nice job.

Thanks, Herb.

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Love the lyric. One of Chris' strongest of those I've heard. It's a winning mix, the drums in particular are so present. Love the breaks between verses and that "lean in" thing they produce in this listener. Your play is perfectly expressive in tone and licks. Top-notch, Dave. Thanks.

Happy you liked this one, Tang! Stay safe over there.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/26/20 05:05 PM
Very nice guitar riffs and the solo is especially likeable. Classic chording fits the 12/8 style and the band perfectly, although the mood feels bit too poppy when compared to the pain in the lyrics, but that's only my problem smile. Vocals are great and small backing parts add nice details.

Janne
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/26/20 06:08 PM
Really cool song!!! You guys have developed such a beautiful style....reliably, consistently, GREAT Blues!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/28/20 09:12 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very nice guitar riffs and the solo is especially likeable. Classic chording fits the 12/8 style and the band perfectly, although the mood feels bit too poppy when compared to the pain in the lyrics, but that's only my problem smile. Vocals are great and small backing parts add nice details.

Janne

Thanks, Janne!

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Really cool song!!! You guys have developed such a beautiful style....reliably, consistently, GREAT Blues!!! Take care. Greg

We have a pretty good working relationship, plus we have fun with it. That the main thing I think.

Thanks, Greg!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Still Got This Pain - 03/29/20 01:46 PM
Dave & Chris,
You guys always deliver -love everything about this!

Robert
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Still Got This Pain - 04/03/20 08:58 PM
A good, solid song that got its hooks in me.

The slinky groove pulses and ambulates and moves me along, sweeping me up in its current.

Vocal and guitar are tops--again.
© PG Music Forums