PG Music Home
Hello forum friends. Hope you are as well as people can be in these difficult times. Most of us here are at the age where we have to be quite careful in this WW3 in which we find ourselves. This was not the song I planned to post next but I thought it appropriate due to the "escapism" theme. Hope you enjoy! Stay well friends. Take care. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/islandsc
Greg, this is really good. Your vocal was spot on and your backing tracks were super. I pictured myself back in the Caribbean Islands laying on the beach and drinking a beer. I did escape during this!
Greg,

Right from the opening one knows this is going to be an enjoyable ride... (love those drums!)

Your writing is always a joy to behold. The words ALWAYS flow. There is music in your lyrics - the mark of a true Songwriter.

You have a "star's voice". Always a joy to listen to.

Oooh - that bass is nice.
The piano sits nicely.
The "little things" are excellent.

Well done all around.

Thanks for the escape...

fj
Nice dreamy holiday sound from this,like a love boat theme .
voice is strong and out front quite rightly so!

Great,mixed well, NIT….far too much fx on the vocals couldn't make out most of the lyrics and I honestly can say your vocals don't need that amount.

Thanks
Hi Greg,

yes, these are terrible times and of course you are right: We're all more or less old farts here on the forum, and we'll have to ve especially careful, if we want to stay forum members after that desaster.

Over here still thousands of idiots acting like they are invulnerable, but those Florida spring break pictures we could (had to) see on TV showed once again that stupidity knows no borders.

So instead of hauling this old body to a nice and sunny, but probably deadly place I dreamt away with your wonderful song. Loved evrything about it, especially your vox!

Luckily us BIABers don't even know the word 'boredom', so this involuntary cocooning is much easier to bear...

This goes to all of you friends: Act wisely and please stay healthy.

All the best to all of you and yours,

Stefan
Hello Greg,

This is a very lovely, dreamy song you made. With a beautiful sax in it!
I do agree (a bit) with my forummember Stefan about our voluntarily chosen quarantine before there was something like Corona. Now that it entered our lives we can easely live as before. I'm only worried if I need a haircut and I will soon. All barbershops are shutdown!

But back to your song: It's nicely performed. Your vocals sound very bright in it! But I'm afraid I have a question about the bass-section. In my headphones this sounded a little too loud and was distracting me from the song as a whole. But don't bother if I'm the only on having that issue. By the way, I would like to read the lyrics as well.
But having said that I will end with repeating the compliments on your song I began my post with. A very nice song!

Hans
Sweet sounds. Sweet song. The music fits the mood you've created. I like it. Good job.
Hi Greg,
Beautiful song with is very soothing. So badly needed at this time in our world. As a lyric lover would have liked to be able to read them. Nice to be able to dream about being on the islands.
Hi, Greg.

I always look forward to hearing your songs, and this didn't disappoint at all. Nice easy groove, your excellent vocals. Sax sounds so nice when it comes in at the fade.

I agree the bass may be a bit hot in the mix. I mostly noticed it because in some places - such as 2:06 - it seems to be working against the lyric.

I enjoyed this one a lot! smile
Greg

Lovely. Looking forward to being able to enjoy some of those things again!

Vocal was excellent band sounded great and reminded me of a Michael Franks tune (with a stronger vocal)

Peter
Hey Greg,

This is very nice. Very relaxed laid back feel. Your vocal is outstanding (I don't agree with there being too much FX on it. It is wet, but I think it's working well). For me the bass level was ok too. Great mix and choice of instruments!

Well Done!

Greg
Another great one, wish I had lyrics for it. One good couplet after another. Thanks for this one, hope we get a lyric sheet soon.
Greg,
Thank you for sharing this positive tune. Very hypnotic, wanted it to last longer (believe it or not, I listened to it 3 times in a row smile ) Excellent composition. Vocals are A+ Enjoyed it a lot.
Thank you!

Misha.
Ah yes, it harkens to times that seem like yesterday yet counterintuitively so
distant now. BUT the upbeat lyric, your fine vocal and the arrangement offer
a dreamy reprise from it all.

Thank you.

J&B
Wow what a lovely song Greg. The intro pulled my right into the song. Always love your vocals but this one was a little different delivery for me. Very smooth. Well done Greg
Greg ...

Your music demands so many accolades, we would bankrupt the English language of its most wonderful adjectives if we were to post all of them. If there is anyone on this forum who should be a household name, it's you. I'd pay a premium price to attend a Greg Johnson concert. But, seriously, how lucky are the rest of on this fabulous board to have the opportunity to hear you by simply clicking onto a link. It's a priceless joy!

Every time I listen to one of your songs, I feel special that I have the chance to hear you on demand. WOW ... are the rest of us here lucky or what??!!

Wishing you and yours nothing but the best ...

Alan
Always enjoy your music Greg.

This is no exception. It is really great, and has a Michael Franks feel about it.

Smooth cool
A lovely feel, tone and narrative.
A couple of the drum fills felt a little mechanical but that's small beans indeed.
Everything to like & enjoy.
Thanks.
Man, your vocals are always just so good! And your songwriting too is always top notch.

Only complaint was the ending, I was enjoying the sax but it faded out too quickly for my tastes.

But, minor quibble indeed smile
Floating away here, Greg. Just another old fart drifting away to form an island breeze. Thanks for sharing, Greg. Your whole channel is a great place to drift away for a day.
Smooth groove. Excellent choice of chords too. Totally cool tune for this rainy Monday morning in carolina.
Greg,

Sweet and smooth as silk as always. And yes, a nice escape from these strange times. Pretty tune well done!

All my best to you,

Deej
Greg,

Wonderful song with really pleasant vocals!
Very nice chord progression.
It's my favorite.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Ah ... this IS escapism!!! Thank you - needed this this morning :-) Beautiful song, beautifully sung and rendered ... well done.
Excellent vocal, cool chord changes, smooth groove, very nice production
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Greg, this is really good. Your vocal was spot on and your backing tracks were super. I pictured myself back in the Caribbean Islands laying on the beach and drinking a beer. I did escape during this!

Thanks Mario!! Glad I could facilitate a brief escape for you! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Greg,

Right from the opening one knows this is going to be an enjoyable ride... (love those drums!)

Your writing is always a joy to behold. The words ALWAYS flow. There is music in your lyrics - the mark of a true Songwriter.

You have a "star's voice". Always a joy to listen to.

Oooh - that bass is nice.
The piano sits nicely.
The "little things" are excellent.

Well done all around.

Thanks for the escape...

fj

Thanks so much for the kind review my friend!! Means a lot to me! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Nice dreamy holiday sound from this,like a love boat theme .
voice is strong and out front quite rightly so!

Great,mixed well, NIT….far too much fx on the vocals couldn't make out most of the lyrics and I honestly can say your vocals don't need that amount.

Thanks

Thanks! Yeah, I do tend to get carried away with the fx sometimes! Thanks for the kind words! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Greg,

yes, these are terrible times and of course you are right: We're all more or less old farts here on the forum, and we'll have to ve especially careful, if we want to stay forum members after that desaster.

Over here still thousands of idiots acting like they are invulnerable, but those Florida spring break pictures we could (had to) see on TV showed once again that stupidity knows no borders.

So instead of hauling this old body to a nice and sunny, but probably deadly place I dreamt away with your wonderful song. Loved evrything about it, especially your vox!

Luckily us BIABers don't even know the word 'boredom', so this involuntary cocooning is much easier to bear...

This goes to all of you friends: Act wisely and please stay healthy.

All the best to all of you and yours,

Stefan

Thanks Stefan! You stay safe! Take care. Greg
I think I have said this before, but your voice reminds me of George Michael and this song is even in his soulful style similar to the Older album. Such a smooth voice and backing, beautiful and relaxing. Lovely chord progression. The sax is sweet and the bass is hot chocolate.

Janne
Hi, Greg !

What a wonderful tune !
There is something of Brian in
this but it is 120 % GREG !
I like this so much as I think
it is your best up till now !

Cheers
Dani
Greg,
A lovely smooth escape! The progression has just enough sophistication for the mood and your quality as a vocalist is, as always, paramount.
That sax could have just kept playing into the sunset!

Robert
This is a beautiful 70s style easy listening song. As others have said, dreamy and soothing--just what we need now. Great lilting vocal.
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hello Greg,

This is a very lovely, dreamy song you made. With a beautiful sax in it!
I do agree (a bit) with my forummember Stefan about our voluntarily chosen quarantine before there was something like Corona. Now that it entered our lives we can easely live as before. I'm only worried if I need a haircut and I will soon. All barbershops are shutdown!

But back to your song: It's nicely performed. Your vocals sound very bright in it! But I'm afraid I have a question about the bass-section. In my headphones this sounded a little too loud and was distracting me from the song as a whole. But don't bother if I'm the only on having that issue. By the way, I would like to read the lyrics as well.
But having said that I will end with repeating the compliments on your song I began my post with. A very nice song!

Hans

Thanks Hans! You've been posting a lot of cool stuff! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Sweet sounds. Sweet song. The music fits the mood you've created. I like it. Good job.

Thanks so much! I've been enjoying your tunes! Take care. Greg
Sounds great Greg!

Smooth man!!

smile
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Hi Greg,
Beautiful song with is very soothing. So badly needed at this time in our world. As a lyric lover would have liked to be able to read them. Nice to be able to dream about being on the islands.

Thanks Donna! Glad I brought you a moment of relief! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Hi, Greg.

I always look forward to hearing your songs, and this didn't disappoint at all. Nice easy groove, your excellent vocals. Sax sounds so nice when it comes in at the fade.

I agree the bass may be a bit hot in the mix. I mostly noticed it because in some places - such as 2:06 - it seems to be working against the lyric.

I enjoyed this one a lot! smile

Thanks David! Yeah I will continue to play with the mix. Take care and stay safe! Greg
Super job on this Greg! This is my favorite work of yours bar none! The flowing melody along with dramatic chord changes exude greatness! It's pure 70's gold and that's something we need more of! Your vocal is perfect and your at the top of your game here! I could go on and on but just to wrap up I would say you have something to be very proud of and satisfied with! Thanks, Torrey
© PG Music Forums