PG Music Home
Posted By: kindofblue Harlem Nocturne - 03/25/20 11:18 AM
https://vimeo.com/400532262

Backing on BiaB 2019
Recorded the sax on Logic Pro
Meanwhile Camera Record HD with Audio.
After that imported the Video into Logic Pro and made sure, that the Audio Files match (from the Video and the direct recording into Logic).
Strangely the Audio now is not on the same time as the Audio...

Homework!

kindofharlem
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Harlem Nocturne - 03/25/20 12:34 PM
Love this tune to jam on, but I believe it is not in public domain.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Harlem Nocturne - 03/25/20 01:08 PM
Hi Kindof...,

It's funny to see that video of you playing that Alt sax. I noticed later on your playing became more fluently where at first it was a bit stiff. At 2:37 your lick wasn't so fluently as it was towards the end. Also the band was too soft for your sax. And I would reposition your camera so that you look right into it. Than you can wink or do something to interact with the public.

But having made al those critical remarks, I also want to tell you did a wonderfull job on that sax in this tricky song It's very difficult playing a solo the whole song through on this kind of instrument.
I have a friend playing that instrument, well... now he is playing the bariton sax (you can't play solos on that one) and I now it's quit different then singing or even then the tenor sax.

Hans
Posted By: kindofblue Re: Harlem Nocturne - 03/26/20 06:31 AM
Thanks Hans for your input. Much appreciated.
I'm absolutely not happy with my filming. So it's good to hear what to do better.
Next time I want to try anyway a new Recording Tool on my iMac. Don't know which one yet. Any recommendations?
And I agree, the play-along is too soft. Didn't think straight here.

But ...you are wrong on two things:
first: I'm playing a Tenor Sax, not an Alto cool
second: you can easily play solos also on Baritonsax. Listen to some tunes of for example Gerry Mulligan.

Greetings from Switzerland
kindofswiss
Posted By: rayc Re: Harlem Nocturne - 03/26/20 07:36 AM
Nice tone - I like the dynamic difference between the flowing & the staccato phrases.

"Strangely the Audio now is not on the same time as the Audio..."
Que?
Did you mute the audio on the video after importing it?
Posted By: kindofblue Re: Harlem Nocturne - 03/26/20 10:47 AM
I imported the Audio from the Video into Logic.
Then I used this audio to match it with the audio from Logic.
When the two audio where matching, I exported the Audio of Logic into the Video but without the audio of the Video.
Understandable?

Now, the Video just looks "out of time".

kindoftrytoexplain
Posted By: rayc Re: Harlem Nocturne - 03/26/20 08:47 PM
Yeah, close enough.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Harlem Nocturne - 03/26/20 09:58 PM
I enjoyed listening to your playing.

But, as marty pointed out, the song isn't in the public domain yet. It was "only" published 80 years ago.

Ever get the feeling corporations would rather there be no public domain? cry
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Harlem Nocturne - 03/27/20 05:32 PM
Hi KindofBlue,

Don't know if I have to hate you now about those two things I said wrong.
But you're right about the sax. But I thought it was so low, it must have been a alt.
The other thing is not my experience, but that of that (ex-) friend. He is not welcome anymore, of course.
And I will tell him to play some other instrument. Bariton saxes are perfect for solos I know now thanks to you.
Or I had to keep my big mouth shut on this matter...

But try the camera on another angle whistle ,
Hans
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: Harlem Nocturne - 04/06/20 01:05 AM
kindofharlem - You have a nice touch on that Sax - never too brash or too soft - always right in that sweet spot range. Well done, and nice recording and mix. I won't try to offer any advice on the mixing, since I'm still in the novice stage there.
© PG Music Forums