PG Music Home
Another Black Stick* (i.e. fatal accident marker).

https://soundcloud.com/user-427542889/another-black-stick/s-X4XPg3XvKba

TULSA.STY Tulsa Train Beat @ 115bpm

592:Bass, Acoustic Bluegrass Doc Ev 100
604:Guitar, Electric, Chet Comp Ev 130
607:Guitar, Nylon, Chet Train Ev 130

Added tracks:
3152:Fiddle, 5-string, Background AmericanaFolkCoolAndys Sw16 075
3410:Guitar, Acoustic Rhythm OldTimeHappyDance Ev 16 125
3377:Mandolin, Background OldTimeBonfireAndy Ev 16 110
RealDrums=AmericanaRoots16th

I discarded the shaker that came with the style and added shaker from Reason 11.
Vocals: Shure PG58; Focusrite Scarlett 2i2; Reaper DAW; Noise Ash Vocal Finalizer.

LYRICS:

They came to the Mallee four generations ago
From a land where they spent every winter buried in snow
They laboured and toiled; they nurtured the soil
They started to prosper and grow
Yes, they came to the Mallee four generations ago

The farm continued to flourish down through the years
Seems the Great Depression didn't cause too many tears
The nation grew sleek on the backs of their sheep
How they loved the click of the shears!
The farm continued to flourish down through the years

8-bar break

The days of plenty are now just dim memory
The land's in the grip of a drought; it cannot break free
They sow but don't reap; the last of the sheep
Are put out of their misery
Yes, the days of plenty are now just dim memory

There's a dry dusty bed where a mighty river once flowed
So the farmer can't pay to the bank the money that's owed
Inexplicably, a car hits a tree –
seems like it never slowed
And there's another black stick out there on the side of the road
And there's another black stick out there on the side of the road

Copyright © 2020 all rights reserved
Posted By: Al-David Re: "Another Black Stick" - 03/26/20 04:41 AM
Hello Ghostgum ...

What I enjoy most about your songs is the smooth, easy timbre of your voice. Your vocals are always so easy and pleasant to listen to.

I enjoyed this song very much. The two comments I've mentioned below in no way lessened my enjoyment of the listen. They're simply things that crossed my mind. Please take them for whatever value they may have for you.

1. The mandolin track you used for the lead break could be a wee bit more forward in the mix. It was sometimes a bit swallowed by the backing tracks.

2. Here in the States, I don't think most of us are familiar with the what the term "black stick" implies. I'm 73 years old and have never before heard that reference. You don't use the term until the very end of the song, so,as I listened, I was wandering how the title melded with the lyric. Of course, If your intended audience is primarily Australia, give this comment no weight.

Regardless of those comments, this was, indeed a "smooth" listen. Most enjoyable. Wishing you the very best ... and stay safe.

Alan
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: "Another Black Stick" - 03/26/20 05:27 AM
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the review. From what you have written it is apparent that certain terms which are innocuous and innocent to us on this side of the Pacific can have a totally different meaning in other settings and cultures. In this country a black stick on the side of the road is a "fatal accident-marker" (as shown in the image on Soundcloud).
A red one indicates serious injury.

When I mixed the instruments I had the mandolin cranked up to full. It obviously wasn't enough. Perhaps I should have rendered it as one instrument per track and remixed, or else lowered the volume on all the other instruments and adjusted the final Db level last of all.

Stay safe.
Posted By: dcuny Re: "Another Black Stick" - 03/26/20 02:50 PM
Hi, Brian.

Excellent writing - everything in the first half pays off in the second, and the final verse really drives the point home (pun not intended).

Great job with the singing, production and mix as well. laugh
Really well-written song!! Sad story, very well told! A lot of people are in for tough times these days. Enjoyed!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums