PG Music Home
Posted By: rayc STRING EXPERIMENT Pt.2 PG's process. - 04/02/20 03:37 AM
Hello Folks,
I've watched the video and walked my self through Mr. G's instructions. Both are very useful and fairly easy. I did have a little trouble as I was working in an area of the program I hadn't visited previously.
Results?
Well, you decided...
THIS version is the "original" strung up mix:
Old strings + Mel9
This has the old strings + the new ones but no pads or support from Mel9 tracks.
New + old strings - no Mel9.
This one has the nesw strings + the old + the Mel9 support.
New old + Mel FIXED
THIS uses the MULTIRIFF function to provide the "thickening" but also allowed me to tweak the individual track EQs
Multiriff strings
Posted By: floyd jane Re: STRING EXPERIMENT Pt.2 PG's process. - 04/02/20 11:03 AM
ray,

It is fun to follow along on this journey...the various versions...

The overall sound is cool. Big. And nicely cohesive.

The vocal seems to sit in the mix better in JOANCBstr+Melgd.
It seemed in a bit of a different space than the track in JOANCBstrNOMelgd - the track has an "airiness" and the vocal has a "density" (heavy mids) and they seem at odds.

There is an odd glitch/drop at 1:11 in JOANCBstr+Melgd. And again at 2:40... 3:37...4:13...4:58...
I like the mix of this one.

fj
Posted By: rayc Re: STRING EXPERIMENT Pt.2 PG's process. - 04/02/20 05:47 PM
Thanks fj,
The oddity is the result of me leaving the free version of Voxengo SPAN on. It drops level as it;s crippling factor to encourage purchase.
Good ears on the differences- your observations are helpful.
Thanks
Posted By: Robertkc Re: STRING EXPERIMENT Pt.2 PG's process. - 04/02/20 07:40 PM
The new strings without Mel9 sound more natural to me- where they come to the fore at 2:23 (before the best lalalaas ever written in a song!)there`s a clarity between instruments and less of a wash to the sound.
As Floyd said those hiccups are noticeable.
What does Voxengo SPAN do?

Robert
Posted By: rayc Re: STRING EXPERIMENT Pt.2 PG's process. - 04/03/20 01:06 AM
Voxengo Span is a good visual EQ scan. I have it using a preset that shows a good representation of the mix. It doesn't do anything to anything other than provide visual feedback.
Posted By: rayc Re: STRING EXPERIMENT Pt.2 PG's process. - 04/03/20 03:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
The new strings without Mel9 sound more natural to me-... best lalalaas ever written in a song...
Robert

Thanks Robert.
yes, Songs of Love & Hate has two La La tracks - both being superb use of that singular lyrical device.

Thanks for the kind words.
There's a MULTIRIFF strings version above now.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: STRING EXPERIMENT Pt.2 PG's process. - 04/05/20 08:13 AM
Hi Ray,

I have listened to nearly all your versions (the oldest was removed?). The positive side of that was I liked the song more and more.
But, when comparing them, I did it by feeling how they come to me, I prevered the second one (New + old strings - no Mel9). If I analyse that choise I can come no closer than it is my feeling. I think the guitars sounded more natural, the volume of the strings was just right. In the two newer versions it was a bit too loud. And I have a question: why don't you use the synth RT 1543? It could give less problems.

But anyway, I love the song!

Hans
Posted By: rayc Re: STRING EXPERIMENT Pt.2 PG's process. - 04/05/20 08:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Ray,

I have listened to nearly all your versions (the oldest was removed?). The positive side of that was I liked the song more and more.
But, when comparing them, I did it by feeling how they come to me, I prevered the second one (New + old strings - no Mel9). If I analyse that choise I can come no closer than it is my feeling. I think the guitars sounded more natural, the volume of the strings was just right. In the two newer versions it was a bit too loud. And I have a question: why don't you use the synth RT 1543? It could give less problems.

But anyway, I love the song!

Hans

I think I agree with you Hans - well almost - I prefer a little Mel in it, but the levels are better.
I'm a little old & old fashioned - I prefer not to use MIDI or synths whenever possible PLUS it gave me a problem to work on to fill in the days.
THANKS.
© PG Music Forums