PG Music Home
Posted By: Birchwood From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/03/20 12:01 PM
Hi everyone,

I made a Bluessong shortly after I had posted another song, but I had to; It is based on a true story. The girl in this song asked me if I was able to make a song about her and my son. I couldn't refuse, of course. So here it is. I enjoyed making this song, because of the story, but also because of the way the chorusses worked out and that nice baritonguitar. It's a pity that they can't meet because of the Coronavirus. but I don't sing about that. The song's title is a nod to that famous James Bond movie, but also because of the girl's hometown. I hope you like this song:
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/from-mexico-with-love

Hans Berkhout

Some information about the style and the instruments I used:
Style: _BTGAMP.STY (Amplitube Bariton Blues Shuffle)

RealTracks: ~1546:Bas, Electric, Country Swing Sw 85
RealTracks: ~673:Organ, B3 Gel 85
RealTracks: 2624:Guitar, Bariton, Blues Shuffle Bas En Licks Sw 085
RealTracks: 3246:Guitar, Electric, Blues Shuffle Sw 100
RealTracks: 3248:Guitar, Electric, Solo Blues Shuffle Sw 100
RealDrums :FunkSwing: a: Snare, Kickb: Snare, Open HiHat

The lyrics:
From Mexico with Love
(c) HWBerkhout, 03/31/20

Verse
Feel I'm in love now, the whole day long
Had an encounter, it was so strong
I was on a beach in Mexico
Then saw you; you were planning to go
Quickly dressed and packed my things
I had to hurry, see what it brings

Chorus
You woman, swinging hips and sexy as can be
Walking right in front of me
It was like lightning that blew me to the ground
This long haired lady I just had found
I had to draw your attention, we must meet!
It's you I need!

Verse
I was dreaming of a steaming relation
That would be a whole sensation
Never had fallen in love just like that
But when I saw you; my heart was beating so bad
Thought about this while rushing your way
I had to hurry, this could be my day!

Chorus

Solo

Chorus
Chorus 2:
You woman, swinging hips and sexy as can be
Walking right in front of me
It was like lightning that blew you to the ground
You saw my big smile when turning around
I had all your attention,  Kind of....
'From Mexico with love'  !!!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/03/20 10:02 PM
Hans,
Wonderful riffing from the baritone moves this and your raspy vocal tones are right for the song. I like the energy pickup on the chorus with the bgv.
Interesting back story... dad making a songwriter`s "see what it brings" contribution to his son`s romance!

Robert
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/03/20 10:56 PM
Brings the passion of the story to life.
Very good!
Some hot licks.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/04/20 11:02 AM
Hans,

Super Cool!

Love the BAND. Nicely arranged and a good mix. A good passionate vocal.

A hot solo. Nice!

Good write, good story. Might be my favorite from you. Well done...

fj
Posted By: Birchwood Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/05/20 07:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Hans,
Wonderful riffing from the baritone moves this and your raspy vocal tones are right for the song. I like the energy pickup on the chorus with the bgv.
Interesting back story... dad making a songwriter`s "see what it brings" contribution to his son`s romance!

Robert

Hi Robbert, Thanks for the compliments with those kind words! And yes it was a bit unusual to make songs my son had to do himself. But since he only listens to songs and can't make them I do it for him. She knows it could be he thoughts...
I like to make a Blues once in a while. And if I could include a bariton in it, that makes the day!

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Brings the passion of the story to life.
Very good!
Some hot licks.

Hello Captain, I thought about doing a JB imitation, but gave me too much problems to crie that 'Yeahhh' you did so well. But thanks for your comment on the song.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hans,

Super Cool!
A hot solo. Nice!

fj

Wow Floyd! That felt great to read this could be a favorite of you. And I am not teasing at all (this time)!
Thanks for your very nice words.

Stay save,
Hans
Posted By: rayc Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/05/20 11:54 PM
This suits your voice really well: the right register, pace & everything.
Cool Bvox too.
Well done.
Posted By: Scott C Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/06/20 02:15 PM
My favourite genre. Boy what a cool backtrack. Your vocal is perfect for the song. One of favs of yours. Guitar is very cool
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/06/20 02:41 PM
Nice vibe to song. I love the Fx on the chorus. It really add depth to it. Good one.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/06/20 09:57 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hans,

Super Cool!

A hot solo. Nice!

fj

Floyd nailed it!! Super catchy chorus! Stay safe Hans! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/07/20 12:50 AM
Hi Hans ...

This is my very favorite of your songs that I've heard. This is just so cool!

The backing tracks really move this along. Love the drums in particular. And the bass really drives! The background vocals on the chorus are really sweet! And that's a smoking lead guitar!

You outdid yourself! loved it!!!!!

Best to you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/07/20 07:20 AM
Love the baritone guitar! What a great sound.

This is great, Hans, love everything about it.

Definitely one of your best.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/07/20 09:34 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
This suits your voice really well: the right register, pace & everything.
Cool Bvox too.
Well done.

Hi Ray, I think you are right about this kind of songs and my voice. But in my head I want to sing all kinds of songs. i am working on a Dutch song at this moment ( a poem from my mother), although I find Dutch a super difficult language to sing in. I think you must have the same problem if you would try it too ;-)
But thanks for your nice compliments on the song!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
My favourite genre. Boy what a cool backtrack. Your vocal is perfect for the song. One of favs of yours. Guitar is very cool

Hi Scott, I could say the same things I wrote to Ray. I try to sing some more Blues this year, but be prepared for other styles! And I hope you listen to those as well (as you have proven you do). Even if it would be that Dutch song I'm working on :-)
But thanks for your comments.

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Nice vibe to song. I love the Fx on the chorus. It really add depth to it. Good one.

Hi Jptjptjpt, please tell me your real name... This sounds like the singing of a bird. Wonderful, but a challenge as a name. I am also very pleased with the result of the vocals in the chorusses. It was a wild guess. And your (and others) words proved it turned out well. Thanks for your judgement!

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Floyd nailed it!! Super catchy chorus! Stay safe Hans! Take care. Greg

Hi Greg, yes I am also very happy with Floyd's words and now with your words confirming that. Thanks!

To all of you: Stay safe and thanks a lot,
Hans
Very nicely done! Very creative and flows tremendously well. The effects on the hook really breathe life into it. Decently catchy too smile

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: jannesan Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/07/20 03:28 PM
What a great band for a nicely swinging (hips) blues love song! Everything works perfectly, the solo guitar is hot and the mix has edge. I really enjoyed your voice with backing vocals in the chorus. Maybe I would have added some Mexican musical reference like an accordion or some other Latin element, but of course it works without any, as a pure blues rock song.

Janne
Posted By: MarioD Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/07/20 08:50 PM
Great kick @ss blues. I love this one.

Your vocal is super here! Outstanding backing band!

IMHO this is your best to date.
Posted By: PeterF Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/07/20 09:05 PM
Hans

Really good production and a great chorus. The band sounds great, and a very genre authentic vocal.

Peter
Posted By: Crossroads Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/08/20 05:34 AM
Hi Hams,

yeah - finally a new Haarlem Shuffle...

Like I already wrote in my e-mail I really like this one a lot. First of all it's a blues tune so I am attracted anyway. But this one is one of the really good ones, so I couldn't help but like and enjoy it a lot.

Great backing track (how come you always are so successful in finding the perfect ones?) - nice lyrics and passionately sung - couldn't ask for more, I guess.

Really, really well-done, Hans,

Gezond blihven, hoor !

Groethes,

Stefan
Posted By: Birchwood Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/08/20 05:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Hans ...

This is my very favorite of your songs that I've heard. This is just so cool!
The backing tracks really move this along. Love the drums in particular. And the bass really drives! The background vocals on the chorus are really sweet! And that's a smoking lead guitar!
You outdid yourself! loved it!!!!!
Best to you. Be safe ...

Alan

Hello Alan, this is really a very kind reply! And I know you as a very serious man, I take all your words for the real truth. That's why I showed your post to my son (the lover in the song). Now he agree I can make -some- nice songs. I'm happy you helped me achieving this!
And I'm very pleased too you liked the song, so thanks a lot!

Be save, Di and you,
Hans
Posted By: Birchwood Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/08/20 06:22 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Love the baritone guitar! What a great sound.
This is great, Hans, love everything about it.
Definitely one of your best.

Hi Dave, thanks for this big compliment from one of the kings of Blues! I had a broad smile the whole day through after reading your words.
But you also raised the bar for me now. How can I make a new song that let you say these words again? But I take the challenge!!!

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Very nicely done! Very creative and flows tremendously well. The effects on the hook really breathe life into it. Decently catchy too smile

Thanks for sharing!

Hello Deryk, what kind words you wrote. I liked the idea seeing you dancing around your table (you work at home now I presume) on this song! Don't tell me you did not...

Originally Posted By: jannesan
What a great band for a nicely swinging (hips) blues love song! Everything works perfectly, the solo guitar is hot and the mix has edge. I really enjoyed your voice with backing vocals in the chorus. Maybe I would have added some Mexican musical reference like an accordion or some other Latin element, but of course it works without any, as a pure blues rock song.

Janne

Hi Janne, it crossed my mind adding some Mexican sounds in the song, but I was convinced this would have killed this Blues. I had an image in my mind of a sexy walking woman on the sidewalk while my son was following her with longing eyes (not stalking of course). But that was rejected too. So then I thought about the rhythm in that fabulous Black Velvet song to symbolize that image. And there was the song. It also worked out nice to make a chorus like this and it was fun making it. I certainly will add this fx in other songs.

So thank you all for judging the song,
Stay healthy,
Hans

Posted By: Deej56 Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/09/20 02:12 AM
Hey, Hans:

Digging the opening to this, and the thereafter—kinda Doors-like. Great vocal, really hits the right tone and sits nicely in the mix. Very, very cool—very, very slick. Without a doubt, my favorite tune from you—HOT! Well done!

My very best to you,

Deej
Posted By: dcuny Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/09/20 03:41 AM
That was a fun listen! laugh

I'm always happy to hear the blues, and everything, from the lead guitar to the raspy vocals, worked well to build the feel.

The backing harmonies were cool, and the pauses were super-effective.
Posted By: musician17 Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/09/20 03:47 AM
Wow! Bravo! Love it!

Ok, so I'm not exactly articulate in my choice of words of praise, haha ... but, seriously, the underlying beat and rhythm of this piece is wonderful ... your singing is great and, well ... it just works! So professionally done, too ... the rhythms are tight and crisp, the sound quality is excellent ... and, most importantly, it had me tapping along from beginning to end! Hats off from me! :-)
Posted By: Birchwood Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/09/20 05:16 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Great kick @ss blues. I love this one.

Your vocal is super here! Outstanding backing band!

IMHO this is your best to date.

Hi Mario, thanks for your nice words! Especially what you said about the vocals. I hope it won't stay my best song...

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Hans

Really good production and a great chorus. The band sounds great, and a very genre authentic vocal.

Peter

Hello Peter, that's a nice compliment you gave me. I'm beginning to believe my voice isn't too old and raspy to make songs. Thanks for that!

Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Hams,
yeah - finally a new Haarlem Shuffle...
Like I already wrote in my e-mail I really like this one a lot. First of all it's a blues tune so I am attracted anyway. But this one is one of the really good ones, so I couldn't help but like and enjoy it a lot.

Great backing track (how come you always are so successful in finding the perfect ones?) - nice lyrics and passionately sung - couldn't ask for more, I guess.
Really, really well-done, Hans,
Gezond blihven, hoor !

Groethes,
Stefan

Hi there, Stefan, thanks for your kind words, but I am not succesful in finding those backing tracks, it's creativity, man. You have to work hard to create these things! I am kidding a bit, although..., not too much. But as you know, it's the fun of making music with a big help from BiaB that does this to me. And to you too as I know!

Für Maha und du, gute Gesundheit und sehr schöne Ostertage, (Translation: have a nice time)
Hans
Posted By: Birchwood Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/09/20 05:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Hey, Hans:
Digging the opening to this, and the thereafter—kinda Doors-like. Great vocal, really hits the right tone and sits nicely in the mix. Very, very cool—very, very slick. Without a doubt, my favorite tune from you—HOT! Well done!

My very best to you,
Deej

Hi Deej, this was very nicely said of you. Feels good if someone calls your song 'hot'!

I wish you happy Easter, but be careful with those eggs...
Hans
Posted By: Birchwood Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/09/20 05:36 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
That was a fun listen! laugh
I'm always happy to hear the blues, and everything, from the lead guitar to the raspy vocals, worked well to build the feel.
The backing harmonies were cool, and the pauses were super-effective.

Hi David, I'm very pleased with your compliments on the song. I promise to do some more Blues this year. It's not only fun to listen to, it was really fun making this song. I like these kind of songs very much, although I like to try other styles as well.

Originally Posted By: musician17
Wow! Bravo! Love it!
Ok, so I'm not exactly articulate in my choice of words of praise, haha ... but, seriously, the underlying beat and rhythm of this piece is wonderful ... your singing is great and, well ... it just works! So professionally done, too ... the rhythms are tight and crisp, the sound quality is excellent ... and, most importantly, it had me tapping along from beginning to end! Hats off from me! :-)

Wow Musician, that is some compliment. Thank you very much! But those words increase my tendency to tease (to hide my blushing I suppose) by saying 'of course I can see it isn't easy for you to find proper words of praise about this great song', but I will stay humble and only thank you again for your nice words ;-)

Nice Easter you all,
Hans
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/10/20 12:13 PM
Love the blues and this is one is absolutely entrancing, Hans. That chorus brings this to a whole new level that leaves many blues songs in its dust. Great vocal and story. Love the drive.
Posted By: rsdean Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/10/20 12:40 PM
Hans,

You really have something special here. Great song and vocal and a very cool mix.

Bob
Posted By: Birchwood Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/11/20 05:11 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Love the blues and this is one is absolutely entrancing, Hans. That chorus brings this to a whole new level that leaves many blues songs in its dust. Great vocal and story. Love the drive.

Hi Marty, that's most kind of you, this reaction on the song! And the chorus...It was just a creative idea to do something different. And it worked out well!

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Hans,
You really have something special here. Great song and vocal and a very cool mix.
Bob

Hi Bob, I sure hope I have something special here. The amount of reactions don't look that way, but I know I have to be patient and also this forum is too crowdy with good new songs. But don't get the impression I'm am disillusioned. I am happy with your reaction and I will cherish it...

Thank you both and happy Easter,
Hans
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/12/20 06:39 PM
Really fine work Hans! Your chorus is really strong! Great job on your vocals and the instrumentation is perfect! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: beatmaster Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/12/20 06:55 PM
well that just blew all my blues away, honestly that was a kick thumping song with all the guitars live and real , and your vocals suited it to a tee.

Was this all Biab ?.

well done Good song
Thanks
Posted By: Birchwood Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/14/20 10:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Really fine work Hans! Your chorus is really strong! Great job on your vocals and the instrumentation is perfect! Thanks, Torrey

Hi Torrey, nice to read your compliments! a lot of 'posters' complimented me on the vocals in the chorus too!
I'm really happy it worked out so well.

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
well that just blew all my blues away, honestly that was a kick thumping song with all the guitars live and real , and your vocals suited it to a tee.
Was this all Biab ?.

well done Good song
Thanks

Hello beatmaster. It is great to read I blew someone away. You described that event very expressively! especcially what you wrote about the vocals...
And yes, all was from BiaB, except some compressors and reverbs. But BiaB has really (some) good stuff to work with! No, it's really a great piece of software.

So thank you both for your comments on the song,
Hans
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: From Mexico with Love -in Blues- - 04/17/20 02:49 PM
We love the blues and a blues shuffle is our favorite so you made this
one very easy to like!

The RT's sound great as does the mix and, man, your vocal fits this
perfectly. Lots of blues soul in your voice.

And a good write also.

Everything is cookin' and we enjoyed it!

J&B
© PG Music Forums