PG Music Home
Posted By: bluage Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/03/20 11:40 PM
Title: 'Until It Ends'
Key = Db, Tempo at 95, Length (m:s) = 4:12
4 bar intro, 92 bar chorus, from bar 5 to bar 96. Repeat x1 chorus
Style is _PNOC128.STY (Acoustic Piano 12/8 Country)

RealTracks in style: 533:Bass, Electric, 12-8 Crystal Sw 065
RealTracks in style: 2167:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Country12-8John Sw 065
RealTracks in style: ~~527:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Hank Sw 085
RealTracks in style: ~~530:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 3278:Vocal Mmms, Rhythm RockNRollGospel12-8 4-part Sw 065
RealTracks in song: 3063:Vocal Aahs, Rhythm Pop3-part Ev 085
RealDrums [in Song: Country Shuffle128^5-a: Sidestick, Brushes, b: Snare, Ride

'Guitarhacker', I am sorry that I posted this song after the deadline you set. I had difficulty putting it on my SoundClick webpage. Regardless, I think your challenge was a thoughtful and potentially unifying thing to do in the face of this crippling virus crisis. You're a good man for thinking it up, sir smile.

Also, I am deeply disappointed that I was not able to indicate the Real Tracks artists, which is something I always do to show my appreciation for their peerlessly executed and professional instrumental and vocal performances. Unfortunately, almost immediately after completing the song's production, the C:/, or program drive of my DAW crashed, which made it impossible for me to retrieve that very important information.

So, I'll just send a 'shout out' to ALL the Real Track artists who make it possible for us User's Forum members to conceive, create, produce, and post our songs. Thank you very much, folks smile smile smile

LOREN (a.k.a. 'bluage')

Here's the link: https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14019534

Until It Ends
Lyrics & music by Loren Francis Spain

VERSE 1
There’s a sickness raging ‘round the globe
Is God testing us like he did Job?
It’s such a mystery
How’s it going to end?

VERSE 2
People are hoarding things that others need
Don’t they know that nothing comes of greed
But less for everyone
On whom can we depend?

CHORUS #1
Everybody, now’s the time
To think about what we can do
To show each other how
Together we can see this thing through

BRIDGE (16-BAR ACOUSTIC PIANO SOLO)

VERSE 3
Folks are pointing fingers in the face
Of other people just because of race
It won’t help anything
‘Cause hate’s a sickness, too

VERSE 4
So, let’s reach out with a helping hand
Show the world that we will take a stand
And only do the good things
Until the crisis ends…

CHORUS #2
Everybody, now’s the time
To think about what we can do
To show each other how
Together we can see this thing through (repeat x 3 to outro)
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/04/20 02:56 AM
Nice and smooth jazz feel. Very timely lyrics. Good job Loren. I like it.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/04/20 06:18 AM
Hi Loren,

Yhat's a nice jazzy song you made! The swinging melody and that cool pianosolo gave me a relaxed feeling, although the topic didn't.
You gave your song a nice ending with those social words.
In your lyrics it says: "And only do the good things, until the crisis ends…", but I really hope we can continue that kind of behaviour LONG after the crises ends. The viruscrisis also gives us -ironically seen- opportunities to change things, like the way we work, travel and new ways of getting an income. But that is a long discussion I don't want to start here.
but your Covid song can help in that ;-)

Stay save,
Hans
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/04/20 10:57 AM
LOREN,

An appropriate lyric, nicely penned.

Your vocal is quite nice. (the speaking part, too!)

A very nice arrangement and production. And a good mix.

It all has a nice Bacharach/David fell to it...

fj
Posted By: RichardB1985 Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/04/20 06:20 PM
I really like this song, you've got a great voice and these lyrics definitely capture the spirit of unifying that you found in challenge.

Thank you for posting this, I really enjoyed listening to it.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/04/20 06:39 PM
What a wonderful message! One that could get us
through this and events to come....we can dream can't we?

The vocal, write, arrangement and the band bring to mind two
words: Sophisticated and smoooooth.

Well, let us add another word: contemplative.

The vocal and lyric flow like a gentle mountain spring. A wonderful way
to deliver the message without it sounding angst ridden.

And also that is one fine band!

Simply lovely.....

J&B
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/04/20 09:36 PM
Loren,
I like the way you made strong feelings and a serious topic swing!
Your voice is resonant and you have great phrasing...as that spoken ending also shows.
Sincere, warm and, of course, smoooth.

Robert
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/06/20 02:24 AM
Hello, Sean ...

I appreciate tyou listening and commenting on the song. It was very reassuring smile.

Sincerely,

LOREN
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/06/20 02:44 AM
Dear Hans ...

It was good of you to point out the unfortunately conditional (and unintentionally limiting) nature of the lyrics, "And only do the good things, until the crisis ends…". I, too, hope that, as you stated, ..."we can continue that kind of behaviour LONG after the crises ends."

Also, I strongly agree with your wonderfully optimistic statement that "The virus crisis also gives us -ironically seen- opportunities to change things, like the way we work, travel and new ways of getting an income." Only a person with an indomitable sense of hope could make such a forward-looking and reassuring assessment of future possibilities in the midst of tragedy, and for that I am deeply, profoundly grateful to you for sharing that heartening thought smile.

I wish you and everyone you love good health, now, and in the unforseeable future.

Most sincerely,

LOREN
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/06/20 03:08 AM
Mr. Floyd Jane ...

You can't possibly know how much I appreciated your comment about the song having "An appropriate lyric, nicely penned." In fact, I am honored by it smile. I knew full well before I posted it that the song could be a 'hard sell' to the User's Forum members, but I felt I needed to express my feelings about some of the things that are going in the world in the wake of the conronavirus pandemic, such as this:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/elderly-woman-tears-photograph-empty-shelves-australia-a4392701.html

And this:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/11/asian-man-is-victim-in-latest-coronavirus-fueled-hate-crime/

Also, on a positive note, God bless your musically educated ears for noting that the song "...has a nice Bacharach/David fell to it..." You were absolutely correct, sir smile !!! The first song I heard in my mind that I knew would be the musical model for my own song was Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head.

Anyway, thank you for your insightful and affirming comments about Until It Ends. I wish you and your loved ones well during this pandemic, and beyond it.

Truly,

LOREN
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/06/20 03:11 AM
Dear 'RichardB1985'...

Thank you sincerely for listening to the song and commenting favorably about it smile.

Wishing you and your family the best of health during the pandemic smile.

LOREN
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/06/20 03:15 AM
Dear 'Bud' and Ms. Janice...

Appreciate your thumbs-up on the 'message', and also for your approving comments about the song's production smile.

I hope (and pray) that you'll stay safe and sound during this viral crisis.

Respectfully,

LOREN
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/06/20 03:23 AM
Hello, Robert...

I appreciate your acknowledgement of the 'strong feelings' I expressed in the song, and I'm quite grateful for your comments about the song's production.

Please take good care of yourself, and any and everybody else that you care about during this humbling, sobering pandemic smile.

Most sincerely and respectfully,

LOREN
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/07/20 05:44 AM
Dear Loren,

a lot of my convictions packed in your wonderful song - to name just two lines that really caught me:

Don’t they know that nothing comes of greed and ‘Cause hate’s a sickness, too.

Yes, I think that your right: When, if not now, should be the right time to think things over that have gone so incredibly wrong over the years...

As smoothl as they may flow along: So these are most impressive lyrics. Also the spoken part is brilliant - aside the message it's been done wonderfully - as a person who every now and then tried to throw in a spoken part in a song and always discarded it I know that it's far easier to sing.

Loren, I think I mentioned this every time I commented on one of your songs: I love your voice - it's warm and full of positive 'vibes' (normally I don't like that word, but here...).

The song itself is a perfect means for transporting your message, flawlessly arranged and put together.

We hear an awful lot of songs here on the forum, and we all have to admit that we will forget about them sooner or later - this is one of the songs I won't forget - thanks a lot for giving it to us.

Take good care of yourself and yours - and, yes, we will stand that crisis. And I personally hope that those in charge will finally understand that it's not 'the markets' that should rule us. And, by the way, that everybody may take a look around the world and realize that it's become obvious that all those populists and autocrats in their vanity fail when wisdom and a real sense of responsibilty are required.

All the best to everybody,

Stefan
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/08/20 08:12 PM
Hello, Stefan...

I think songs are remembered for different reasons. I regard your own song, Will I Miss You, as one of the unforgettable ones I've listened to on the Users' Forum because of the intensely truthful-feeling and unrestrained loving sentiments I felt were pouring out of the lyrics.

Mike Garry has only recently posted one of the most excellently arranged, high-octane pieces of big-band swing music, The Swing of Things, that I've ever snapped my fingers to on the Forum smile.

About one week, or so, ago, Mr. Alan David and his wife, Ms. Diane Bowers, released a track titled Burning that is an intoxicatingly sensuous garden of musical, vocal, and lyrical delights.

So, there's lots of songs on the Forum that'll keep members going back to re-experience them again, again, and again smile.

Thanks for your well-articulated comments, Stefan !!! I'm grateful for them.

Sincerely,

LOREN
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/09/20 12:18 AM
The easy 12-8 feel and your laid-back vocal beautifully get a serious message across without sounding preachy.
I love the lyrics, especially:
"It won’t help anything
‘Cause hate’s a sickness, too."
Stay well and stay positive,
Mike
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/09/20 02:14 AM
Bluage,

You’ve definitely stepped up to the challenge. My word, that vocal is so, so smooth—just slips into the mix like hand into glove. Well, well done—expert production, down to those vocal Mmms and Ahhhs, that add such a nice depth. Sweet tune!

Best regards,

Deej
Posted By: dcuny Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/09/20 02:53 AM
Nailed that Bacharach and David sound - pleasant, melodic and easygoing.

Nice ending - very to the point. laugh
Posted By: Sundance Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/09/20 03:08 AM
+1 to the accolades already said. Love your voice Loren both singing and speaking. The breezy feel arrangement juxtaposed against the serious lyrics leads to a hopeful feeling.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/09/20 07:43 PM
Love your voice on everything you sing. I like how this song is so cheery in spite of the subject matter, almost as if to say 'the heck with it, I won't be brought down.' Great job, am listening multiple times.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/09/20 08:53 PM
"Folks are pointing fingers in the face
It won’t help anything
‘Cause hate’s a sickness, too"

What a great verse, so true.

This is definitely in the Bacharach and David wheelhouse. Super smooth jazz sound here with an outstanding vocal and lyrics all blended in the perfect mix.

This is really good!
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/09/20 11:29 PM
Hello, Mr. Garry...

"...get a serious message across without sounding preachy." That means a lot to me, Mr. Garry. I'm glad you could relate to the lyrics, and I appeciate your comments about the production, too.

I wish the same thing for you that you wished for me smile

Sincerely,

LOREN
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/09/20 11:38 PM
Hello, 'Deej56'...

I agree with you about the Mmms and Aahhs. I think they possess a serene, spiritually calming feel and sound. They're a fabulous addition to BIAB's Real Track offerings. There were some Ooos in the third verse, too, but it's apparent they got lost in the mix.

I'm grateful to you for listening to the song, and also for letting me know what you felt about it smile.

Truly,

LOREN/'bluage'
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/09/20 11:43 PM
Hello, 'dcuny'...

Yeah, the 'Bacharach & David' sound is just one of those musical styles that'll live forever. Actually, if it wasn't for BIAB's auto-suggest feature, I probably wouldn't have discovered it.

Thank you for auditioning the song and expressing your thoughts about it smile.

Sincerely,

LOREN
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/09/20 11:55 PM
Hello, Ms. Josie...

"The breezy feel arrangement juxtaposed against the serious lyrics leads to a hopeful feeling." I'm pleased and grateful that the song came across to you that way smile.

Wanna hear something interesting? That music was in my head at least two to three days before I discovered 'Guitarhacker's' songwriting challenge. Because of that, I really, truly that feel my Creator wanted me to use it for the song -- kind of an advance 'credit' that he wanted me to deposit in my song bank laugh.

Any old way, it was nice of you to comment so nicely about your listening experience. Thank you, Ms. Josie!

Truly,

LOREN
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/10/20 12:08 AM
Hey, there, 'Tunemonger'...

"I like how this song is so cheery in spite of the subject matter, almost as if to say 'the heck with it, I won't be brought down.'" Ha, ha, that was an interesting comment smile !!! I can't make the claim that I intended for the song to develop in that manner, though. It just came out that way.

'Tunemonger', thank you for communicating your thoughts about the song, and I look forward to hearing everything you post on the Forum smile.

Sincerely,

LOREN
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/10/20 12:22 AM
'MarioD'...

Concerning the lyrics you quoted, it is my strongest, most heartfelt and urgent wish that at least one of the constructive outcomes of this plague that has descended on us, will be that it will cause us to realize that if the Creator of this universe didn't want us to help each other, he would have put only one person on this planet, self-contained and needful of no one else. However, since that wasn't the case, then it's blindingly clear to me that that's what he wants us to do.

Thank you for taking the song in and giving something back smile. Wishing you "all the good things, until the crisis ends."

LOREN
Posted By: PeterF Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/10/20 12:37 AM
Loren

A really breezy, sound, with a very positive message. Enjoyed the vocal and the spoken part (touching).

Nice relaxed band and really well done in all respects.

Peter
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/10/20 01:24 PM
Your vocal is outstanding, Loren. This is a marvelous production, using perfect choices for instrumentation. Love that piano solo. If this is all a Job test, you pass with flying colors, man. An inspiration to all!!
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/11/20 01:27 AM
'PeterF'...

I like the way you describe the song as you heard it: 'breezy' smile. I'll buy that !!!

Your comments are like the last few drops of rain after a storm -- pitter, patter, plink! -- as they are a summing-up of all that fell before them.

Gratefully,

LOREN
Posted By: rsdean Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/11/20 08:17 AM
Loren,

I like this very much. You have a great feel for jazz - vocal really works as well.

Excellent!

Bob
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/11/20 08:46 AM
Excellent!

Love the lyrics, very much on point. Especially liked the third verse:

Folks are pointing fingers in the face
It won’t help anything
‘Cause hate’s a sickness, too

Good vocal, and the spoken word part is great!

Nice long fadeout to end things off.

Really good, enjoyed very much.
Posted By: WobblyGstring Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/11/20 10:41 AM
WOW!
An absolute inspiration and a true example of a perfect composition, verse, chorus, break, key change and finale.

Thank you and salute your talent!

Chris
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/12/20 03:11 PM
Hello, 'BabuMusic' ...

Hopefully, all of us will pass the 'Job' test by doing things that will unify us in our attempt to be of service to each other during this pandemic smile.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the song.

Sincerely,

LOREN
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/12/20 03:13 PM
Hi, Bob ...

Thanks for your support smile !!!

LOREN
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/12/20 03:15 PM
Hello, Dave ...

I appreciate your comment about the lyrics and the production smile.

Gratefully,

LOREN
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/12/20 03:23 PM
Originally Posted By: WobblyGstring
WOW!
An absolute inspiration and a true example of a perfect composition, verse, chorus, break, key change and finale.

Thank you and salute your talent!

Chris

Hello, there, Chris ...

Your 'handle', 'WobblyGstring', put a smile on my face smile.

Your comment about the song's form is appreciated. It came to me pretty much as a result of recalling how a lot of songs from the 60's that had a duration less than three minutes long employed that structure to heighten the emotion in the lyrics by repeating a chorus and and modulating the key upwards by semi-tones.

Thank you for listening to the song so closely !!!

Truly,

LOREN
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/12/20 04:00 PM
yea this was a nice flow along song, with appropriate lyrics for the song theme.

I got a raindrops keep falling on my head feel from this, and that's not a bad thing as these kind of songs stick in our heads.

Thanks
Posted By: dani48 Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/12/20 04:20 PM
Hi, Loren !

I just love this tune of yours
as you use chords I really love !
Has this wonderful Bacharach
feel without being anything else
than Loren ! I just love it !!!

Congrats for this masterpiece !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/13/20 11:26 PM
Hello, 'beatmaster'...

Yessir, Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head by Burt Bacharach and Hal David was the musical model for the song smile.

Thank you for taking in the 'appropriate' lyrics. I'm happy to hear the song stuck in your head !!!

Sincerely,

LOREN
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/13/20 11:30 PM
Hello, there, 'dani48'...

It's good to read that the song's chord structure pleased you, and you're absolutely correct (as many other commenters have been) that the song has a 'Bacharach' feel.

Thank you for lending your ears to the song, and for leaving such a nice comment smile.

I wish you well -- very well, in fact -- now, and forever.

Sincerely,

LOREN
Posted By: Scott C Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/14/20 11:28 AM
This one slipped by me. Sorry for that late reply. This is an excellent song. Super vocal and lyric. Loved the piano solo. Well done...
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/14/20 10:09 PM
Nice feel. Really like the lyrics and that vocal is perfect for the song.

Nicely done!
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/16/20 01:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
This one slipped by me. Sorry for that late reply...

Hey, there, 'ScottC'...

There's a lot of user's posts that are gonna get 'slipped by' because of the hugely increased number of posts of late, the result of everybody sheltering-in-place -- must be some kind of record, I'm sure smile.

Any old way, it was nice of you to dig down into the pile and listen to the song. Thanks for your nice comments !!!

Sincerely,

LOREN
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/16/20 01:39 AM
Hello, 'HeartoLearn'...

Your comments are greatly appreciated, sir, especially after I took some heat from two people -- a relative and a sibling -- about the lyrics -- YIKES !!! No worries, though. I welcome more enthusiatically comments that are either hot, or cold, rather than lukewarm.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

LOREN
Posted By: musician17 Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/16/20 04:18 AM
You've achieved something amazing - to write about such a heavy and difficult subject in a light and optimistic manner and make it work. And the spoken ending was just perfect - took me by surprise and I did hold back a tear. Wonderful job - so difficult to do, you made it sound so easy. Well done.
Posted By: bluage Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/17/20 04:05 AM
Dear 'musician17' ...

I will have to thank my Creator for helping me find a way to, as you described it, "...write about such a heavy and difficult subject in a light and optimistic manner and make it work."

As I revealed to User's Forum member 'Josie' in response to her comment, the music came to me a few days before I became aware of 'Guitarhacker's' challenge, which causes me to think that some serious pre-destination was going on !!! Really, I believe that. Also, it helped that the news was so full of articles about people doing things to each other in the wake of the coronavirus event that just couldn't be defended or excused.

Unfortunately, it seems us human beings have to fight incredibly hard to resist the pull of the 'dark side' in our personalities. Could music have a decisive influence in quelling those destructive attitudes and behaviors?

Thank you for listening to the song and telling me what you thought about it.

Sincerely,

LOREN
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Until It Ends - A COVID-19 song - 04/18/20 05:07 PM
Loren, you have such a great rich voice which is perfect for this kind of track! Your voice reminds me so much of the lead singer from Looking Glass (reference Brandy)! Great song which touches on what so many folks are consumed with right now! Your backtrack is excellent (the background ah's are so right for this! Thanks, Torrey
© PG Music Forums