PG Music Home
Posted By: Scott C Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/07/20 10:17 PM
Well Robert and I have decided to try something new. Robert floated the idea that since we had created quite a few song maybe we should present them as a band. So Spirit Level was born.
We have created a new Soundcloud page and will be posting our collaborations there from now on.

Our few song for the new site is called

Skyrim

Robert's inspiration for the lyrics are Psychedelic SciFi Catharsis.

I recorded and mixed my guitar tracks in Studio One. I transferred the realtracks using the drag and drop features from Realband. Could not believe how easy it was. Hope you like the new song.

The Lyrics

SkyRim

dive for pearls
of faralone
jewels of another life
among angelfish
faces banished
beg you to atone

dance through crowds
of cinnabar stars
on Insomnia Avenue
the dark interval waits
as muzac plays
eyes centre your heart

on the skyrim
with nothing left to lose
on the skyrim
gods fall into you

the Vertigo Lounge
sells upgrades
a day at Childhood`s End
on the Mirror Carousel
meet yourself
coming back the other way

on the skyrim
with nothing left to lose
on the skyrim
gods fall into you

when you`re hollow
through and through
no more the dark can do
gods fall into you
on the skyrim

© Robert Cordrey March 2020

The Band

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Skyrim
File:skyrim.SGU
Key=G , Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=3:18
8 bar intro, 87 bar chorus, from bar 9 to bar 95. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Tempo,
Style is _GLORY.STY (Glory Gospel 3-Part Vocals)

RealTracks in song: 2754:Bass, Electric, RockHeavy8thsDoug Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 691:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming AcRockBright Ev 120
RealTracks in song: ~1030:Guitar, 12-String Electric, Fingerpicking Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 3231:Guitar, Electric, Background CinemaHeldHighDarin Ev16 090
RealTracks in song: 2508:String Quartet, Rhythm PopEvenHall Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 3230:Guitar, Electric, Background CinemaHeldLowDarin Ev16 090
RealDrums [in Song:RockClassicBritEv^1-a:Snare, Closed HiHat , b:Snare, Ride Bell

Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/07/20 11:56 PM
Cool song. Very Psychedelic. Circa 1967. More Stones Satanic Majesty's Request than Sgt. Peppers. Congratulations to both of you. Good luck to the band.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/08/20 01:04 AM
Very poetic, sort of reminds me of the 60s psychedelic era, some of those oldie strange bands. Orange marmalade or something. Very different, I like it. Nice wah! wah! effect.

Posted By: Al-David Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/08/20 01:17 AM
Scott & Robert ...

Your collabs are always exciting and great listens. This takes me back to the middle 60s ... just with better technology. Nice guitar work, Scott! The wha-wha sounded just right!And Robert ... sounding terrific on the vocal. Great backing tracks. A real nice listen. Not much of this music on the forum ... it's a nice addition!

Good luck with the new account. Will be looking for more songs as the days roll by. Nice stuff, gentlemen!!!

Best to both of you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/08/20 08:04 AM
Hey, great idea of coming up with a band name for your collaborations! Very cool name too BTW.

Sort of a late 60's San Francisco vibe happening here, which is a good thing!

Nice one guys, enjoyed.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/08/20 11:21 AM
Spirit Level...

Cool band!! Flashback City!

The lyrics zoom over my head for the most part, but...
"gods fall into you
on the skyrim"
I like that.

Good mix - especially for the style. Vocal is tucked in nicely.

Super guitar outro!!

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/08/20 03:31 PM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Cool song. Very Psychedelic. Circa 1967. More Stones Satanic Majesty's Request than Sgt. Peppers. Congratulations to both of you. Good luck to the band.

Thanks so much for checking out the song. This was lots of fun to work on. Roberts vocal and lyrics took us back to a time when having fun was number one priority. Glad you liked the song
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/08/20 05:49 PM
Hi Scott and Robert,

I can imagine you must have had a lot of fun producing this song. It's indeed very psychedelic as Jptjptjptjptjptjpt said.
And there Spirit Level was born! The name gives some associations with liquor, but I don't believe you're using that so much.
I have something to confess: I listened to the song, read the lyrics, I love Roberts' voice and because you are professionals in music it must be very good song, but this isn't my kind of music. So don't be angry with me, just try to accept you have to deal with those people too...

But stay safe,
Hans
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/09/20 01:12 PM
Thanks for the listens and comments. I had fun with the rhythm track on this song; holds on beats one and three for all instruments creating a variation that sounds unusual for BiaB.
The lyrics, of course, were written after muting the "make sense" button!
After 30 or so collaborations with Scott its nice to have a site to collect them.
The name? You`ve heard Court Of The Crimson King by King Crimson, but have you heard Spirit Level by Spirit Level?
Posted By: Belladonna Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/09/20 06:00 PM
Just listened to Spirit Level by you guys. Reminds me of a Neil Young song if it was a little more rocky. But very nice, I really like the alternative style.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/09/20 09:03 PM
\\

Or maybe The Blue Magoos or the Count Five to name a couple.

Very 60's psychedelic genre for sure. And extremely well done.

I like it a lot. In fact it brought me back to that time.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/10/20 01:34 AM
SkyRim

Great overall sound, had a bit of a progressive rock thing going as well as the 60's psychodelica.

Very nice collaboration.

Peter
Posted By: Scott C Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/10/20 11:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Very poetic, sort of reminds me of the 60s psychedelic era, some of those oldie strange bands. Orange marmalade or something. Very different, I like it. Nice wah! wah! effect.

Thanks Donna for checking out the song. Your comments are very much appreciated. Glad you liked it..
Posted By: rsdean Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/10/20 11:20 AM
Scott / Robert,

Love this and love the whole idea behind it. Awesome work and collaboration!

Bob
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/10/20 03:59 PM
Oh, yeah, I can see everyone running through Golden Gate Park. Great new Band name. Guitars sound great, Scott, and the lyrics are perfect this, Robert.

"the Vertigo Lounge
sells upgrades
a day at Childhood`s End
on the Mirror Carousel
meet yourself
"
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/10/20 10:21 PM
I couldn't help but think of the iconic video game called Skyrim when listening to this. Liked the energy in it, and the guitar was very, very good. Of course, I am a big fan of RKC's lyrics and that was the usual treat. Thanks guys!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/11/20 10:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Scott & Robert ...

Your collabs are always exciting and great listens. This takes me back to the middle 60s ... just with better technology. Nice guitar work, Scott! The wha-wha sounded just right!And Robert ... sounding terrific on the vocal. Great backing tracks. A real nice listen. Not much of this music on the forum ... it's a nice addition!

Good luck with the new account. Will be looking for more songs as the days roll by. Nice stuff, gentlemen!!!

Best to both of you. Be safe ...

Alan

Thanks Alan for checking out the song. So glad you liked it

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hey, great idea of coming up with a band name for your collaborations! Very cool name too BTW.

Sort of a late 60's San Francisco vibe happening here, which is a good thing!

Nice one guys, enjoyed.

Thanks Dave Glad you like the song. This type of music was a daily staple when I was teenager. Glad you like the name of the band. Robert picked this one out. Was a perfect fit.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/11/20 04:41 PM
Well as one who made the obligatory trip to Haight Ashbury in the 60’s and as one who actually wore a Neru jacket I feel qualified to offer an opinion: I like it! And so does Janice although our 12 year age difference made her a grade schooler then smile

The sound is a bit more progressive than the classic psychedelia of the era but the lyric and vocal really capture it as does that super cool wah wah.

And, if I might say, this collab really captures the spirit of this forum.

Kudos,

J&B
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/11/20 07:21 PM
This is classic psychedelia, its a change to me nearest to this I got was Steve Harley and cockney rebel

I enjoyed this ,you both have started on your own adventure/band so good on you.

Take care
Posted By: furry Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/11/20 09:07 PM
NICE .....I was expecting similar music to the video game Skyrim. This was a great listen, thanks guys
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/12/20 06:34 PM
Some cool sounds going on guys! I heard what sounded like some kind of faint female voice panned hard left that really gave an interesting vibe to this (might have been a processed guitar or something). You guys work well together! Great job! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/12/20 07:34 PM
I`ve now heard of the Skyrim video game some folks thought of and enjoyed listening to the doomy vocal apocalypse theme song - thanks for that guys!
Scott didn`t mention in the intro that he`s playing a synth on the intro/chorus of our song... I believe its a first and does lend a prog rock flavour listeners have picked up on.
Many thanks for all the generous comments.

Robert
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/12/20 07:37 PM
Torrey,
That high sound you hear could be the only harmony that`s from Helicon & not mine, or possible the high cinematic guitar.
To me, this sounds like hybrid 60s/80s music.

Robert's lyrics are superb.

The guitar work creates an enigmatic mood, complements the lyrics, and keeps the song moving forward.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/14/20 11:15 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Spirit Level...

Cool band!! Flashback City!

The lyrics zoom over my head for the most part, but...
"gods fall into you
on the skyrim"
I like that.

Good mix - especially for the style. Vocal is tucked in nicely.

Super guitar outro!!

fj

Thanks Floyd. Thanks for the comments and glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Scott and Robert,

I can imagine you must have had a lot of fun producing this song. It's indeed very psychedelic as Jptjptjptjptjptjpt said.
And there Spirit Level was born! The name gives some associations with liquor, but I don't believe you're using that so much.
I have something to confess: I listened to the song, read the lyrics, I love Roberts' voice and because you are professionals in music it must be very good song, but this isn't my kind of music. So don't be angry with me, just try to accept you have to deal with those people too...

But stay safe,
Hans

Thanks Hans. Back in the day pretty much everything was spiritual. Not angry with you at all. Very much appreciate you checking out the song and commenting. One thing that is very cool about this forum is the abundance of diversity in the music that is being presented here. Before I joined the forum I pretty much dislike jazz but I must say it is growing on me. There are some very good creative jazz musicians in the forum. A few more song and I am sure we will convert you :-)

Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Just listened to Spirit Level by you guys. Reminds me of a Neil Young song if it was a little more rocky. But very nice, I really like the alternative style.

Neil Young's music was a huge influence on me. He spent a few of his younger years in Winnipeg Mb which is close to my hometown. He was a local music hero that hit it big. Another group was the Guess Who that came from Winnipeg out of that era.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
\\

Or maybe The Blue Magoos or the Count Five to name a couple.

Very 60's psychedelic genre for sure. And extremely well done.

I like it a lot. In fact it brought me back to that time.

Very cool description of the lyrics Mario. Love the Blues Magoos reference as well. So glad you liked the song.
Posted By: rayc Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/15/20 06:28 AM
This is MUCH more Pearls Before Swine/Tom Rapp.
I was worried by the title though as it's a popular online RPG that's quite violent and sexist.
Lovely combo and a very cool collab.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/15/20 04:09 PM
A reglula Jefferson Airplane, you two.
Hey, seriously, that is a good sound. I like how you pack
an epic journey into the reel.
I used COVID as an excuse to bite the bullet and buy
an effects pedal for little Homer, stopping some short of
Wah but having a good reverb and shimmer. How long have
we been saying the instrument is really the thing on the
other end of the cord. Scott was able to project three
different voices and demonstrates what I thought, too, which
is the effects make it easier to emulate the human voice.
Good job, mates.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/15/20 06:00 PM
Whoa...I'm catching a David Byrne vibe! How fun is that. I was trippin' in the audio sense. Really cool. A lot of fun to listen to! Great job!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/16/20 11:05 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
SkyRim

Great overall sound, had a bit of a progressive rock thing going as well as the 60's psychodelica.

Very nice collaboration.

Peter

Thanks for checking out the song Peter. Sort of let the leash out a bit on this song. Was sure fun to play.. Glad you liked it..

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Scott / Robert,

Love this and love the whole idea behind it. Awesome work and collaboration!

Bob

Thanks Bob for the awesome comments. Glad you liked the song.

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Oh, yeah, I can see everyone running through Golden Gate Park. Great new Band name. Guitars sound great, Scott, and the lyrics are perfect this, Robert.

"the Vertigo Lounge
sells upgrades
a day at Childhood`s End
on the Mirror Carousel
meet yourself
"

Thanks Marty for checking out the song. Roberts lyrical story telling can take you to a special place. Very nice to go back and revisit.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/17/20 10:27 AM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I couldn't help but think of the iconic video game called Skyrim when listening to this. Liked the energy in it, and the guitar was very, very good. Of course, I am a big fan of RKC's lyrics and that was the usual treat. Thanks guys!

Thanks for checking out the song. Really glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Well as one who made the obligatory trip to Haight Ashbury in the 60’s and as one who actually wore a Neru jacket I feel qualified to offer an opinion: I like it! And so does Janice although our 12 year age difference made her a grade schooler then smile

The sound is a bit more progressive than the classic psychedelia of the era but the lyric and vocal really capture it as does that super cool wah wah.

And, if I might say, this collab really captures the spirit of this forum.

Kudos,

J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud for checking out the song. That would have been very cool to stroll the streets of Haight Ashbury during the late 60's. I did drive through San Francisco in 1973 on the way to LA but did not stop to check things out. The progressive rock does naturally sneak out. It was always playing in the background. Glad you liked it...
Posted By: Scott C Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/19/20 12:06 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
This is classic psychedelia, its a change to me nearest to this I got was Steve Harley and cockney rebel

I enjoyed this ,you both have started on your own adventure/band so good on you.

Take care

Thanks for checking out the song. Very cool to go back in time and revisit the past. I think if we actually were able to it would probably hurt allot lol..

Originally Posted By: furry
NICE .....I was expecting similar music to the video game Skyrim. This was a great listen, thanks guys

Thanks Graham for checking out the song. Your comments are very much appreciated. Glad you liked the song.

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Some cool sounds going on guys! I heard what sounded like some kind of faint female voice panned hard left that really gave an interesting vibe to this (might have been a processed guitar or something). You guys work well together! Great job! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey for checking out the song. Not sure what the faint voice you heard was. There was allot going on in the song. It may have been my synth. I have been playing it more since the isolation thing has been going on. May hear a little more of it in the future songs ;-)….Glad you liked the song..
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/19/20 12:50 PM
Robert & Scott.
Great that you decided to dedicate a separate channel for collaborations. I think it might be a start of something interesting.

SkyRim, is a nice continuation of Spirit level. Strange in a very good way. Psychedelic, sure, but listens very smoothly. Lyrics are strong for this type of genre and have a mind of their own smile Vintage guitar feel works very well. Cool synths. Very creative and fun. Good balance between electronic and live instruments.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/20/20 12:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
To me, this sounds like hybrid 60s/80s music.

Robert's lyrics are superb.

The guitar work creates an enigmatic mood, complements the lyrics, and keeps the song moving forward.

Thanks for checking out the song. Yes I think the synths changed the feel of the song a bit. I agree Roberts lyrics were excellent on this song. Thanks for the very nice comments on the guitar work. Glad you liked the song.

Originally Posted By: rayc
This is MUCH more Pearls Before Swine/Tom Rapp.
I was worried by the title though as it's a popular online RPG that's quite violent and sexist.
Lovely combo and a very cool collab.

I do not know the band you mentioned but will check them out online. Glad you liked the song.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/21/20 11:22 AM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
A reglula Jefferson Airplane, you two.
Hey, seriously, that is a good sound. I like how you pack
an epic journey into the reel.
I used COVID as an excuse to bite the bullet and buy
an effects pedal for little Homer, stopping some short of
Wah but having a good reverb and shimmer. How long have
we been saying the instrument is really the thing on the
other end of the cord. Scott was able to project three
different voices and demonstrates what I thought, too, which
is the effects make it easier to emulate the human voice.
Good job, mates.

Thanks for the awesome review Ed. Glad you liked the song. I find with the effects I sometimes dive deep in to them and sometimes they don't get used much at all. Mostly of a mood thing..

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Whoa...I'm catching a David Byrne vibe! How fun is that. I was trippin' in the audio sense. Really cool. A lot of fun to listen to! Great job!

Thanks for checking out the song and the excellent review. Glad you liked it..
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/21/20 11:30 AM
great colab really engaging loved it looking forward to more tunes Eric
Posted By: Scott C Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/24/20 11:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Robert & Scott.
Great that you decided to dedicate a separate channel for collaborations. I think it might be a start of something interesting.

SkyRim, is a nice continuation of Spirit level. Strange in a very good way. Psychedelic, sure, but listens very smoothly. Lyrics are strong for this type of genre and have a mind of their own smile Vintage guitar feel works very well. Cool synths. Very creative and fun. Good balance between electronic and live instruments.

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Thanks for checking out the song Misha. Glad you liked it.

Thanks Eric Glad you liked the song.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/24/20 06:23 PM
Cool song!! Love the vibe of the music.....right out of my favorite era!! A real musical treat!! And, of course Robert's lyrics are in the pocket! Great stuff guys!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Scott C Re: Skyrim (Spirit Level Collaboration) - 04/27/20 12:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Cool song!! Love the vibe of the music.....right out of my favorite era!! A real musical treat!! And, of course Robert's lyrics are in the pocket! Great stuff guys!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Eric Really glad you liked the song
© PG Music Forums