PG Music Home
Posted By: BabuMusic I Know Blues - 04/10/20 03:34 PM
For the first time since the 70s I don't have a home studio of some sort, so it really bums me out when I can't participate in challenges like the one GuitarHacker had for writing a CORVID-19 song, especially since playing in public is also out. Still, it's great having Band in a Box to jam with –the only instrument that I have available is my bass. Our new home (with studio) was to be completed later this month. Now...? At least we're staying with our daughter, her husband and our 5 year-old granddaughter, which is the best way to stay in shape through these times.

So here is a recent remix of an old blues song (thanks to the suggestions and guidance found on this forum). It's the "album" version, so you might want to bounce out after the first solo or so. Write about what you know, and I know blues. This is my alternative to My Homeless Stay At Home Blues song (unwritten). Stay well everyone.

Style is _BLUESSH.STY (Blues Shuffle Quintet Swing)

RealTracks in song: 2889:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm FolkBluesSlowShuffleMike Sw 085
RealTracks in style: 421:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Blues Sw 120
RealTracks in song: 2886:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm FolkBluesSlowShuffleBrent Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 565:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Blues Monday Sw 065
RealTracks in song: 2686:Guitar, Electric, Soloist BluesSlow12-8BrentSimple Sw 065
RealDrums [in Song:BluesRock128^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

I played bass and sang.

I Know Blues on SoundCloud
I Know Blues on YouTube

I Know Blues

I can't go on with what's been goin' on.
I need you here, but I can see you're gone.
Tell me you're comin' back. Baby, please don't refuse
'cuz ever since you're gone... well, I know I know blues.

The other night, I hear we had a fight.
I don't recall, but know it must be right
because I feel so lost, which means I had to lose.
Well, now I'm lost and lonely, and I know I know blues.

BR: Tell me it's all a bad dream and I can wake up now
to make us some coffee and cream and jelly biscuts, too.
We could go back to bed and take our slow, sweet time to make up now.
Let's go on with loving ways 'cuz I know I know you.

SOLO

I'll give up drinkin' and make you my drug.
I'm tired of sleeping on this (dirty) (filthy) rug.
I want to walk you home (if I can find my shoes)(even without shoes).
I wonder why you had to wander, but I know I know blues. BR - SOLO2

3rdV + My gloomy weather's always under, 'cuz I know I know blues.
I know that lighting looks like thunder and I know I know blues.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I Know Blues - 04/10/20 03:41 PM
Marty,

MAN! you've got a great voice for Blues!

Everything sounds "just right". Nice bass playing.

That soloist RT is sweet.

Excellent mix. Sounds fantastic on my monitors. Worth listening to the whole thing. smile

You KNOW Blues.

fj
Posted By: Tangmo Re: I Know Blues - 04/10/20 03:43 PM
And now I know you know you know blues. Gritty but smooth. Nasty but nice. Coffee but cream. Enjoyed every minute of it.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I Know Blues - 04/10/20 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Marty,

MAN! you've got a great voice for Blues!

Everything sounds "just right". Nice bass playing.

That soloist RT is sweet.

Excellent mix. Sounds fantastic on my monitors. Worth listening to the whole thing. smile

You KNOW Blues.

fj

Thanks, Floyd. Your words inspire me with confidence, your music inspires me to write.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I Know Blues - 04/10/20 04:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
And now I know you know you know blues. Gritty but smooth. Nasty but nice. Coffee but cream. Enjoyed every minute of it.

Thanks, Tangmo. You know I know you know a lot of music styles, and your comments are always so refreshing. You know?
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: I Know Blues - 04/10/20 04:07 PM
Yeah! This is great, Marty, right up my alley.

Looking forward to working with you on a tune or two once you get your studio up and running cool
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I Know Blues - 04/10/20 05:08 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Yeah! This is great, Marty, right up my alley.

Looking forward to working with you on a tune or two once you get your studio up and running cool

Thanks, Dave. Hey, I'd love to play bass to one of your songs. I can add bass parts with my current setup.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: I Know Blues - 04/10/20 05:54 PM
Marty—

Well, yes, I'd say you DO know blues—great tune from start to finish, with a cool blues vocal. Great production work on this. Like that bridge a lot; terrific lyrics all the way through, but they are just perfect in this bridge. Killer solo! Very impressive outing!

All my best,

Deej
Posted By: rsdean Re: I Know Blues - 04/10/20 07:05 PM
Marty,

WOW! What a voice! Great track and production.

Much enjoyed!

Bob
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: I Know Blues - 04/10/20 09:33 PM
Nice, growling blues, the way I like it. You got the voice for it, all the way.
Posted By: Scott C Re: I Know Blues - 04/11/20 10:14 AM
Very cool vocal. I just love the blues. Bass was sweet. Well done.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I Know Blues - 04/11/20 10:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Marty—

Well, yes, I'd say you DO know blues—great tune from start to finish, with a cool blues vocal. Great production work on this. Like that bridge a lot; terrific lyrics all the way through, but they are just perfect in this bridge. Killer solo! Very impressive outing!

All my best,

Deej

Thanks so much, Deej. Glad you enjoyed it. Stay well!

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Marty,

WOW! What a voice! Great track and production.

Much enjoyed!

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I'm just a bass player who sings demos, and was never considered a singer. So your comments are very encouraging.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I Know Blues - 04/11/20 10:39 AM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Nice, growling blues, the way I like it. You got the voice for it, all the way.

Thanks TuneMonger. You make me smile.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool vocal. I just love the blues. Bass was sweet. Well done.

Thank you, Scott. The Blues is in all of us, and you have a healthy dose.
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: I Know Blues - 04/12/20 10:37 AM
@BabuMusic - This is just great. The mixing and balance of the instruments is very pleasing to the ear. Great voice for blues too. I really like that twangin' guitar in there.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: I Know Blues - 04/12/20 07:25 PM
Marty,
I`m no bluesman but I like that gravelly voice and sweet phrasing you have going on here.
my favourite lines:
I'm tired of sleeping on this filthy rug.

The guitar solo is some nice icing too!
Good luck with your future home & studio.

Robert
Posted By: Al-David Re: I Know Blues - 04/12/20 10:48 PM
Hey Marty ...

What a cool blues tune! Man ... your voice is just so perfect for this, And yes, indeed ... you know Blues! Great listen .. doing a little side-to-side chair dancing as I listen. Uh ... it ain't a pretty sight!

great band you put together ... that lead solo is just perfect. Your bass line really drives this along so nicely. Loved it!

Wishing you the best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: I Know Blues - 04/12/20 11:23 PM
You know Blues!

Sounds a little country a little blues.
Enjoyed that.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: I Know Blues - 04/13/20 07:05 PM
Marty, I love the fact that you threw caution to the wind and wrote new lyrics even though I didn't hear the first ones! These work for sure! You've got a great feel for blues for sure! Enjoyed it all the way! Take care, Torrey
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: I Know Blues - 04/18/20 07:13 PM
Your vocal performance sounds like the authentic experience.

I enjoyed listening to this one!
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: I Know Blues - 04/19/20 12:30 AM
Nice blues number. Good production. Bass well played.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I Know Blues - 04/19/20 10:29 AM
Originally Posted By: EdZ314
@BabuMusic - This is just great. The mixing and balance of the instruments is very pleasing to the ear. Great voice for blues too. I really like that twangin' guitar in there.

Thank you, Ed. This software really makes it so much fun to put together a band.

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Marty,
my favourite lines:
I'm tired of sleeping on this filthy rug.

Robert

Thank you, Robert. And, since you mentioned "filthy" instead of "dirty", you made it all the way to the end. Thanks, man.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hey Marty ...

doing a little side-to-side chair dancing as I listen. Uh ... it ain't a pretty sight!

Wishing you the best. Be safe ...

Alan

Ah, Alan, it would be a very uplifting sight to me. Thank you. Stay well.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: I Know Blues - 04/19/20 10:36 AM
Great groove! Great concept! Great voice! Great delivery! Isn't that what a great song is? The answer is a resounding YES!

I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing it.

-Caaron
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I Know Blues - 04/20/20 03:05 PM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
You know Blues!

Sounds a little country a little blues.
Enjoyed that.

Thanks, Captain.

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Marty, I love the fact that you threw caution to the wind and wrote new lyrics even though I didn't hear the first ones! These work for sure! You've got a great feel for blues for sure! Enjoyed it all the way! Take care, Torrey

Thanks, Torrey. You, too!

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Your vocal performance sounds like the authentic experience.

I enjoyed listening to this one!

Thanks, Ezekiel!

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Nice blues number. Good production. Bass well played.

Thank you, jptjptjpt.

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Great groove! Great concept! Great voice! Great delivery! Isn't that what a great song is? The answer is a resounding YES!

I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing it.

-Caaron

Thanks for the great comment, Caaron. I gotta say I really like your HearToLearn and your signature.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: I Know Blues - 04/20/20 05:48 PM
Hey Marty, you sure know your Blues. Great tune and superb vocal.

Mike B.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: I Know Blues - 04/20/20 06:49 PM
Marty,
This is great! Your skills in both performance and productions are stellar. Bass glues things really well. Vocals have a very "live" feel, not over processed, yet sit very comfortably in the mix. Quality stuff! Enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Know Blues - 04/20/20 08:06 PM
Marty, not only do you know the blues you can sing the hell out them!

I have huge blues collection, both vinyl and CD, and if I had heard this in a record store I would have bought it right then and there.

This is absolutely some of the best blues I have heard.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: I Know Blues - 04/21/20 09:01 AM
Hey Marty,

I nearly missed this song of your Blues feelings! I think to busy avoiding Covid attacks overhere (or making songs from poems).
And man, I think you know Blues, that's for sure! I wanted to write I liked the solopart with the leadguitar, or the story, but it turns out I liked everything in this song. Well... maybe your voice can be more raw. No, I'm kidding.
But I was also thinking you have no studio now and live in a misserable situation. If I had to live like that, Marty, see what blues I would make then! ;-)

Hans
Posted By: ROG Re: I Know Blues - 04/21/20 09:11 AM
Hi Marty,

Those who know me here know I love the blues and this is just my kind of thing.

A great relaxed blues backing with an excellent solo, all wrapped up in a perfect mix.

But the best bit for me is your fabulous vocal delivery. Shades of Joe Cocker in there, of
whom Ray Charles once said - "He's the only white man I know who can sing the Blues."

More please...

ROG.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I Know Blues - 04/21/20 10:29 AM
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Hey Marty, you sure know your Blues. Great tune and superb vocal.

Mike B.

Thanks for this listen and your encouraging comment, Mike.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Marty,
This is great! Your skills in both performance and productions are stellar. Bass glues things really well. Vocals have a very "live" feel, not over processed, yet sit very comfortably in the mix. Quality stuff! Enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Wow, thanks, Misha. So glad you liked it. Very encouraging!!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I Know Blues - 04/21/20 10:35 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Marty, not only do you know the blues you can sing the hell out them!

I have huge blues collection, both vinyl and CD, and if I had heard this in a record store I would have bought it right then and there.

This is absolutely some of the best blues I have heard.

Wow, Over-the-top, Mario. I usually only play bass because I can't sing and play simultaneously. It's like I use my vocal chords (sorta) when I play, and use my fingers (sorta) when I sing. With your encouragement, maybe I should grab the mic more often. But then who would play bass? Thanks again, man.

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hey Marty,

I nearly missed this song of your Blues feelings! I think to busy avoiding Covid attacks overhere (or making songs from poems).
And man, I think you know Blues, that's for sure! I wanted to write I liked the solopart with the leadguitar, or the story, but it turns out I liked everything in this song. Well... maybe your voice can be more raw. No, I'm kidding.
But I was also thinking you have no studio now and live in a misserable situation. If I had to live like that, Marty, see what blues I would make then! ;-)

Hans

Haha. Thank you, Hans! Dodging those covid bullets is a worldwide endeavor. Keep your shields up, brother.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I Know Blues - 04/21/20 10:40 AM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Marty,

Those who know me here know I love the blues and this is just my kind of thing.

A great relaxed blues backing with an excellent solo, all wrapped up in a perfect mix.

But the best bit for me is your fabulous vocal delivery. Shades of Joe Cocker in there, of
whom Ray Charles once said - "He's the only white man I know who can sing the Blues."

More please...

ROG.

Wow, ROG. Thanks you, fellow bluesman. That Joe Cocker reference blew me away, and I agree with Ray (almost). I always thought Joe sang like a bass player playing air bass.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: I Know Blues - 04/21/20 11:18 AM
hi Marty great tune love it really nice vocal and mix sweet guitar works thanks eric
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Know Blues - 04/22/20 06:39 PM
It's no secret we love the blues and we love this!

You've got the soulful voice for the genre...you either
get it or you don't in our opinion when it comes to the blues.
Not a lot of middle ground smile

Nice blues write and production and very well done RT
solos.

And you have some great bass chops to go with that vocal!

Enjoyed the audio and video.

J&B
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I Know Blues - 04/23/20 10:56 AM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi Marty great tune love it really nice vocal and mix sweet guitar works thanks eric

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, Eric.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
It's no secret we love the blues and we love this!

You've got the soulful voice for the genre...you either
get it or you don't in our opinion when it comes to the blues.
Not a lot of middle ground smile

Nice blues write and production and very well done RT
solos.

And you have some great bass chops to go with that vocal!

Enjoyed the audio and video.

J&B

Oh, you're right about not keeping secrets, Bud. I love that you love blues, man, and I've never heard a song that you guys did that I didn't love.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: I Know Blues - 04/23/20 09:48 PM
You indeed know the blues Marty!!! This is one of my favorite vocals I've hear on this site......and there are many great ones!! ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I Know Blues - 04/24/20 10:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
You indeed know the blues Marty!!! This is one of my favorite vocals I've hear on this site......and there are many great ones!! ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg. Coming from you and your amazing voice, that's quite a compliment.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: I Know Blues - 04/24/20 04:58 PM
I KNOW BLUES, Well you certainly do that was a clever production/sound, vocals are as bluesy as they should be and well positioned .

True blue all around sound.

Thanks
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I Know Blues - 04/25/20 10:24 AM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
I KNOW BLUES, Well you certainly do that was a clever production/sound, vocals are as bluesy as they should be and well positioned .

True blue all around sound.

Thanks

Thanks, beatmaster!
© PG Music Forums