PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/14/20 11:26 AM
Bob (rsdean) posted a tribute song to John Prine shortly after his passing.
I thought that was a really nice idea. So I thought I would follow his lead.

Prine's first album ("John Prine" - 1971) was my "songwriting bible".
My buddy and I used to get to rummage through the basement of our local easy-listening radio station (very small town in upstate New York).
They put all the promotional records they got and didn't play down there.
We found Prine's debut a few weeks before it was released.
(We also found Jimmy Buffet's first and Springsteen's first and second, Jackson Browne's first)
After hearing it, I ran out and bought my own copy as soon as it was in the store ($3.12 - the regular price for records then)
I wore that record out. It taught me much of what I know about songwriting.
We played many of the songs in bars in the summers (as a duo). Long before most folks had heard of Prine.
When I moved to Nashville to work at writing "commercial" Country, I had to stop listening to Prine...
Otherwise, half of what I wrote came out sounding like a Prine song (Which certainly didn't fit the need at the time).
It was hard at first, but I eventually locked all those songs out.
I did not listen to any John Prine records for the next 25 years.

In the past few years, I have gone back to playing my favorites occasionally when I sit down with a guitar.
"Far From Me"..."Hello In There"..."Angel From Montgomery"..."Paradise"...
John's passing broke my heart.
I have, since, been lsitening to his entire catalog - one record per day.
Many of the later ones I haven't heard before...
If you don't know John Prine (I can't imagine many would not), you owe it to yourself to listen to his debut.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Prine_(album)
It is a songwriting masterpiece.

So this is about all of that.

If you are familiar with Prine's records, you should recognize many of the production elements from those early records.

A tribute to my biggest "song writing hero/mentor"...

LET IT BLEED

I kept it bottled up for years
held it back like unshed tears
so no one would know
what's inside me
thinkin' now what a big a mistake
you get so filled up the dam's bound to break
how could i deny
the man who baptized me

sometimes you've got to let it go
   the volcano is bound to blow
   let the devils out
   let the angels shout
   it's a primal need
   throw off the chain
   unlock the locks
   open up pandora's box
   open up that vein
   let it bleed

i left him back some time ago
to find what i thought he didn't know
looking to win the fight
he hadn't fought
now he's gone it breaks my heart
the man who showed me how to start
to find the words to tell the world
just what i thought

sometimes you've got to let it go
   the volcano is bound to blow
   let the devils out
   let the angels shout
   it's a primal need
   throw off the chain
   unlock the locks
   open up pandora's box
   open up that vein
   let it bleed

open up the pain
   let it bleed

The BAND:
RealTracks in style: 521:Bass, Electric, Pop Syncopated Ev 136
RealTracks in style: ~~407:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 165
RealTracks in style: ~406:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 136
RealTracks in song: 1667:Pedal Steel, Soloist CountryPaul Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 3099:Organ, Rhythm AmericanaSlow16thsMike Ev16 060
RealTracks in song: 3198:Guitar, Acoustic, Soloist PopBalladBrent Ev 065
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleBrushesCountryPopEv16

"The sky is black and still now
On the hill where the angels sing"

- John Prine "Far From Me"

Your passing saddens me.

fj
Posted By: rsdean Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/14/20 11:36 AM
Floyd,

This song / presentation is stunningly beautiful... So moving and with a great history behind it.

A simply amazing piece of work and my new favorite from you.

Bob
floyd, this is wonderful!

Certainly one of your best and my new favorite from you.

Listening through a second time while typing this ... production wise you had me right from the opening with just the acoustic, and then the way you start bringing in the instruments, holding off bringing in the drums until the very end ... very effective.

But it doesn't matter how good the production is if the song doesn't have good bones, and this certainly does! Great writing and vocal.

Thanks for the backstory too, enjoyed reading that.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/14/20 02:05 PM
You certainly found yourself up to the task, Floyd. Thanks
for the personal testimony and the look into the character of
one greatly admired on this forum, Mr. Floyd Jane.
I was fortunate to attend this 2011 concert at the Fox in Butte,
restored in modern times into a class music hall.
https://mtstandard.com/entertainment/tgif/john-prine-to-play-at-mother-lode/article_5384d9ac-7d3d-11e0-b1fe-001cc4c03286.html
Don't know if he played there again. Some of my friends there
have been similarly influenced and do pretty fair covers, even today. (That's an understatement)
https://youtu.be/spuYiWdzMNE
I'm sure they will enjoy hearing "Let it Bleed."
Posted By: musician17 Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/14/20 02:21 PM
I have only just heard of John Prine upon his passing (I'm an eighties child). But your song is more than just a tribute to him - it's, to me at least, a masterpiece standing in its own right. You are such an extraordinary songwriter ... often head and heels above most I know, so well done ... superb job once more. You have this talent to tell a story, calmly and heartbreakingly so. This is no exception ... phenomenal from every aspect. It's a bravo from me.
Very John Prine-like dude.

Great!

Loved it!
I went into this expecting it to be a nice tribute. It was that; but so much more. It's "Leader of the Band" if John Prine wrote it.

Tribute hardly sums it up. A dedication of the impact of one's man's life on another's life even would fall short. That someone gives you THAT much inspiration in song writing and you turn around and use that gift to honor him is incredible.

Yeah, all the usual "high bars" exceeded once again. If you would like me to elaborate on that; I will gladly. I just have a feeling others will as well.

Amazing song. Chills and tears...no lie.

Thank you for bringing us into a piece of your story!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/14/20 04:58 PM
Hi Floyd ...

A flashback to better days. And yes, John Prine's contributions to songwriting have few equals. He reminded me of Tom T. Hall in one way ... his songs always said something worthy of the listen: good stories and lesson on life. In another way, I can contrast him with Harlan Howard: very prolific, just gets to the heart of the story and offers stories about the common man that so many can relate to.

This is one of my very favorites from you.The lyric says so much without over-complicating things. The gradual build of the backing tracks ... waiting until the last quarter of the song to introduce the drums. I love songs that start out teasingly soft and, increment by increment add just enough new backing, at the perfect places, to build the tension and interest. In other words, also something new to anticipate and when it arrives, you just gotta say, "Wow, this gets better and better - can't wait to hear the rest of it."

Other than my time with Di, this is the best three minutes I've enjoyed in quite some time. Many thanks for that.

Wishing you and yours the very best. Please stay safe.

Alan

PS: Di and I were tested for COVID 19. Both came back negative.
Posted By: musician17 Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/14/20 06:05 PM
Just to say that I'm delighted that both yourself, Alan, and your wife's COVID 19 results came back negative. Brilliant news.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/14/20 07:15 PM
Floyd,
What a wonderful tribute! Stunningly good lyrics (especially the chorus) and fine flowing melody.
I enjoyed reading your backstory and will take the hint; there`s some JP nuggets there I surely missed.

Robert
Posted By: PeterF Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/14/20 07:50 PM
floyd

Wonderful! A really touching tribute an importantly a superb song.

A masterclass in writing production and delivery.

Peter
Posted By: Bawb Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/14/20 07:55 PM
Hi Floyd,

This is an outstanding song and a fine tribute to your "mentor"...
I'm almost embarrassed to say I've never heard any of his songs until his passing.
Please don't take this the wrong way, as it's meant to be compliment...
Your song sounds like it could have come from one of the "Every Which Way But Loose" movie sound tracks.
Really cool vibe brother...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/14/20 11:15 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

This song / presentation is stunningly beautiful... So moving and with a great history behind it.

A simply amazing piece of work and my new favorite from you.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. These are nice things to hear from you (being the "word man" that you are).

This idea came to me 2 days ago. I had the song written in 20 minutes. This style of writing is so ingrained in me they happen fast. And with the magic of BIAB, the next day, I was done!
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/15/20 03:28 AM
Hi Floyd
I love John Prine's songs. They make me smile and they make me cry, sometimes at the same time. I completely agree with David when he says this is 'very John Prine-like.' In my book, there is simply no higher praise.
Well done, a great tribute.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: rayc Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/15/20 06:10 AM
Sung with heart and yes, you used some of his touch stones.
Really nice arrangement and a vocal that has just the right amount of bruise.
Excellent.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/15/20 11:55 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
floyd, this is wonderful!

Certainly one of your best and my new favorite from you.

Listening through a second time while typing this ... production wise you had me right from the opening with just the acoustic, and then the way you start bringing in the instruments, holding off bringing in the drums until the very end ... very effective.

But it doesn't matter how good the production is if the song doesn't have good bones, and this certainly does! Great writing and vocal.

Thanks for the backstory too, enjoyed reading that.

I certainly appreciate all of that, Dave.

The production ('cause I know you are a meticulous production guy...) is built to reflect Prine's sound - especially from the first record.
There was a lot of "just acoustic guitar".
There was a lot of acoustic guitar + bass - and it often did that 3 note walk-up to start (I had to build that from snippets of the RT)...
Steve Goodman often threw in some acoustic leads.
There were a number of songs that were acoustic + bass + organ.
There were places where a simple pedal steel played along for much of the song.
And there was limited use of drums - a lot more in later records - so I waited until the final chorus to let that drummer do his thing - and kept that rather subtle...
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/15/20 04:05 PM
Hello Floyd,

I wrote Bob I didn't know John Prine, but I learned some of him on the internet. The other thing is I'm a bit familiair with your songs and I always like them. Can't tell if this one is your best or not, but it is certainly a very good song! That counts for all your songs until now...
I was only amazed of one tiny thing: At the time you sing "i left him back some time ago, to find what i thought he didn't know" there was also a mandoline coming in. But only for this line or even less. And it didn't come back. So a very short performance of that instrument. How come? I'm pretty sure you had an idea with that. I guessed that mr Prine did these kind of things too, but that wasn't the case as far as I could hear from several videos on YouTube. So tell me what were your considerations?

Thanks for the song,
Hans
WOW!!! A great song about a great songwriter BY another great songwriter!! Lots of greatness in there!! I love the honest simplicity and raw beauty of the lyrics.......done in true John Prine style! A wonderful tribute!! Floyd, I hope you live at least several months longer than me so you can write me such a wonderful tribute, although I'm not saying I'm deserving of that kind of admiration. LOVE IT!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/15/20 06:10 PM
This reminded me of a famous Red Smith quote: "Writing is easy, all you gotta do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein." I really appreciated this as a huge JP fan, I worked in a record store and still remember the record number (Atlantic 8296) of that iconic first album. Love the way you brought instruments in gradually on this mix, I've gotta try that for myself. Thanks for a great one here.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/15/20 10:57 PM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
You certainly found yourself up to the task, Floyd. Thanks
for the personal testimony and the look into the character of
one greatly admired on this forum, Mr. Floyd Jane.
I was fortunate to attend this 2011 concert at the Fox in Butte,
restored in modern times into a class music hall.
https://mtstandard.com/entertainment/tgif/john-prine-to-play-at-mother-lode/article_5384d9ac-7d3d-11e0-b1fe-001cc4c03286.html
Don't know if he played there again. Some of my friends there
have been similarly influenced and do pretty fair covers, even today. (That's an understatement)
https://youtu.be/spuYiWdzMNE
I'm sure they will enjoy hearing "Let it Bleed."

Ed - thanks for the listen and the comments...
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/16/20 12:08 AM
Very nice tribute. Nice sounds. Touching lyrics and vocal delivery. I like it.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/16/20 10:30 AM
Absolutely everything about this is class. The lyrics themselves sing enormous praise to the talent Mr. Prine delivered.

The music and vocals deliver those lyrics so perfectly.
There was a period of time in my musical journey when the bands had broken up and I simply played solo gigs in the same places. I played a lot of gigs on the local military base. The money was slim but the crowds generally made it a big party. John Prine was in my set lists. Especially Sam Stone and Paradise. The guys from Kentucky and the vets who'd been to "Nam" liked Sam Stone. Rarely a night went by that I didn't have someone in the crowd calling out pay that song about Kentucky or play that song about the hole in daddy's arm.

I like the tribute you wrote for John. He was certainly a writer who didn't care about the commercial aspect of the industry but still make a permanent mark on so many people's hearts. That's what writing songs is all about anyway. Planting a little piece of yourself into the souls of others.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/16/20 07:42 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
I have only just heard of John Prine upon his passing (I'm an eighties child). But your song is more than just a tribute to him - it's, to me at least, a masterpiece standing in its own right. You are such an extraordinary songwriter ... often head and heels above most I know, so well done ... superb job once more. You have this talent to tell a story, calmly and heartbreakingly so. This is no exception ... phenomenal from every aspect. It's a bravo from me.

James - those are some really nice things to hear. Thank you so much...
Posted By: Scott C Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/17/20 10:32 AM
Awesome tribute Floyd. Awesome lyric. Very cool backtrack and vocal. Excellent guitar as well. Well done...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/17/20 02:05 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Very John Prine-like dude.

Great!

Loved it!

David - I like all of those words smile Thanks.

The first time Janice heard this she teared up immediately. Tribute songs flow when such a luminary passes but we cannot imagine a more moving one than this. The lyric and the arrangement so artfully and passionately capture the spirit of the man. And they also capture the spirit of the man who wrote and produced this song and how John influenced him initially and later in his life.

We already mentioned the arrangement (as have others) but it remarkably captures the essence of so many of his songs with instrumentation...most notably the build.

This truly deserves to be heard and loved by many.

J&B

PS: I (Bud) was 25 and it was 1971 and my group of friends were prone to hang out at the local record store. And it was there I first saw his first album. I don't recall why I bought it but I was hooked from the get go and remain so.

To this day I can't imagine an album with more great songs on it. The bar was raised so high with it.
This is a lovely song Floyd. I'm not familiar enough with John Prine to appreciate all the nuances and nods in your song but I really enjoyed your performance.
Somehow, John Prine is one songwriter that I missed on my trip through music but you and Bob have stoked my interest, and, thanks to Spotify, I have his whole catalogue to explore.
Love your background preamble too.
Cheers,
Mike
FJ,
Passionate and very "in spirit" tribute. Excellent lyrics. Arrangement and performance is top shelf. Liked it! Thank you for sharing.

P.S. I listened to "Summer's End" and it made me think, if he stayed with us, what kind of song he would write about the situation we are in now? I guess, he left it to his followers...

Misha.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/18/20 11:13 AM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
I went into this expecting it to be a nice tribute. It was that; but so much more. It's "Leader of the Band" if John Prine wrote it.

Tribute hardly sums it up. A dedication of the impact of one's man's life on another's life even would fall short. That someone gives you THAT much inspiration in song writing and you turn around and use that gift to honor him is incredible.

Yeah, all the usual "high bars" exceeded once again. If you would like me to elaborate on that; I will gladly. I just have a feeling others will as well.

Amazing song. Chills and tears...no lie.

Thank you for bringing us into a piece of your story!

Caaron - Thanks for the fine comments. It means a lot that folks (like you) think that the song reflects well how I feel about Prine and the influence that he had on me (and others). From all I've ever read he was a fine a human being as he was a songwriter...
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/18/20 11:20 AM
Masterfully written, arranged and performed, Floyd. Love the way you built the excitement. Cool story about the radio station's basement treasures.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/18/20 06:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Floyd ...

A flashback to better days. And yes, John Prine's contributions to songwriting have few equals. He reminded me of Tom T. Hall in one way ... his songs always said something worthy of the listen: good stories and lesson on life. In another way, I can contrast him with Harlan Howard: very prolific, just gets to the heart of the story and offers stories about the common man that so many can relate to.

This is one of my very favorites from you.The lyric says so much without over-complicating things. The gradual build of the backing tracks ... waiting until the last quarter of the song to introduce the drums. I love songs that start out teasingly soft and, increment by increment add just enough new backing, at the perfect places, to build the tension and interest. In other words, also something new to anticipate and when it arrives, you just gotta say, "Wow, this gets better and better - can't wait to hear the rest of it."

Other than my time with Di, this is the best three minutes I've enjoyed in quite some time. Many thanks for that.

Wishing you and yours the very best. Please stay safe.

Alan

PS: Di and I were tested for COVID 19. Both came back negative.

Alan - if you are ever going to be "negative" that is certainly the best way to do it! Glad to hear that.

Thanks for the very fine review. It is much appreciated!! As I said earlier...John's passing made me sad...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/19/20 09:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,
What a wonderful tribute! Stunningly good lyrics (especially the chorus) and fine flowing melody.
I enjoyed reading your backstory and will take the hint; there`s some JP nuggets there I surely missed.

Robert

I appreciate that, Robert. And to reiterate... Prine's first record is THE essential Prine - all of his best work is in that one album...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/19/20 02:41 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

Wonderful! A really touching tribute an importantly a superb song.

A masterclass in writing production and delivery.

Peter

Thank you, Peter...
What a tribute Floyd! Exceptionally great writing here! I also noticed shades of Don Mclean shining through. Super singing and production also! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: MarioD Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/19/20 06:16 PM
I'm a big fan of Mr. Prine and his first album was one, if not his best, album. I think every song on that album is a classic.

This is a fantastic tribute to a fantastic storyteller. You my friend are second to none when it comes to storytelling through a song.

This is super.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/19/20 08:52 PM
Floyd

Just stellar. Excellent write, among your best. And really fitting tribute to JP. Topped by your usual expert production and you’ve got one outstanding tune. Killer!

Hope all is well in your world,

Deej
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/20/20 11:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Bawb
Hi Floyd,

This is an outstanding song and a fine tribute to your "mentor"...
I'm almost embarrassed to say I've never heard any of his songs until his passing.
Please don't take this the wrong way, as it's meant to be compliment...
Your song sounds like it could have come from one of the "Every Which Way But Loose" movie sound tracks.
Really cool vibe brother...

Thanks, Bawb... Had to go look up that soundtrack to see what was on it...that's been a while...late 70' - so the time frame sorta matches...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/21/20 02:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Floyd
I love John Prine's songs. They make me smile and they make me cry, sometimes at the same time. I completely agree with David when he says this is 'very John Prine-like.' In my book, there is simply no higher praise.
Well done, a great tribute.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks, Leon. It is nice to know that "true fans" find this "Prine-like" - as that was intended, of course...
Posted By: dani48 Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/21/20 04:32 PM
Hi, Floyd !

I love what you´ve done here !
My new fav of your tunes, without doubt !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/22/20 09:35 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Sung with heart and yes, you used some of his touch stones.
Really nice arrangement and a vocal that has just the right amount of bruise.
Excellent.

Thanks, ray...

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hello Floyd,

I wrote Bob I didn't know John Prine, but I learned some of him on the internet. The other thing is I'm a bit familiair with your songs and I always like them. Can't tell if this one is your best or not, but it is certainly a very good song! That counts for all your songs until now...
I was only amazed of one tiny thing: At the time you sing "i left him back some time ago, to find what i thought he didn't know" there was also a mandoline coming in. But only for this line or even less. And it didn't come back. So a very short performance of that instrument. How come? I'm pretty sure you had an idea with that. I guessed that mr Prine did these kind of things too, but that wasn't the case as far as I could hear from several videos on YouTube. So tell me what were your considerations?

Thanks for the song,
Hans

Thanks, Hans. What you are hearing as a mandolin is an acoustic guitar - 3198:Guitar, Acoustic, Soloist PopBalladBrent Ev 065. The short phrase that you refer to is simply an interlude between the end of the first chorus and the opening of the 2nd verse (a time honored tradition). That guitar is, in fact, used again later - leading in to the solo and then as the soloist in the 2nd half of the solo...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/23/20 10:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW!!! A great song about a great songwriter BY another great songwriter!! Lots of greatness in there!! I love the honest simplicity and raw beauty of the lyrics.......done in true John Prine style! A wonderful tribute!! Floyd, I hope you live at least several months longer than me so you can write me such a wonderful tribute, although I'm not saying I'm deserving of that kind of admiration. LOVE IT!!! Take care. Greg

Greg - I consider you a great songwriter. So this review is especially pleasing. smile And here's hoping you live a VERY long time - if I'll only have a few months to write that tribute!!

smile smile wink
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/23/20 07:51 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
This reminded me of a famous Red Smith quote: "Writing is easy, all you gotta do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein." I really appreciated this as a huge JP fan, I worked in a record store and still remember the record number (Atlantic 8296) of that iconic first album. Love the way you brought instruments in gradually on this mix, I've gotta try that for myself. Thanks for a great one here.

Thanks, TM. Love that you remember the number. A classic, for sure...

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Very nice tribute. Nice sounds. Touching lyrics and vocal delivery. I like it.

jpt3 - Thanks!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/24/20 01:50 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Absolutely everything about this is class. The lyrics themselves sing enormous praise to the talent Mr. Prine delivered.

The music and vocals deliver those lyrics so perfectly.

Trev - Thanks! Always appreciate having you drop by for a listen...
Posted By: ROG Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/24/20 05:43 AM
Hi Floyd,

Late as ever to this one! Normally I'd be teaching for two days each week, so I thought
I'd have lots more spare time during lock-down, but somehow it hasn't worked out that way.

Anyway, here now and I have to thank you for introducing me to John Prine - I must confess that
I'd never heard his name, or one of his songs, until now. So, to put matters right I Googled him,
read his wiki, checked out some of his back catalogue and became a fan.

And your song is an excellent tribute. Great choice of RTs and nice arrangement which builds almost
imperceptibly behind the harmony vocal. Beautifully sung as ever. Faultless mix.

Nice solo....

Stay safe.
ROG.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/24/20 11:20 AM
Touched my heart.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/24/20 03:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

I like the tribute you wrote for John. He was certainly a writer who didn't care about the commercial aspect of the industry but still make a permanent mark on so many people's hearts.

Thanks, Herb.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Awesome tribute Floyd. Awesome lyric. Very cool backtrack and vocal. Excellent guitar as well. Well done...

I appreciate that, Scott...
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/24/20 04:55 PM
That's a fine tribute to your mentor, I never knew/heard of John Prine but I did google him and yes , you can hear his style and ways in yourself Floyd.

Another excellent all rounder.

Thanks
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/25/20 01:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

The first time Janice heard this she teared up immediately. Tribute songs flow when such a luminary passes but we cannot imagine a more moving one than this. The lyric and the arrangement so artfully and passionately capture the spirit of the man. And they also capture the spirit of the man who wrote and produced this song and how John influenced him initially and later in his life.

We already mentioned the arrangement (as have others) but it remarkably captures the essence of so many of his songs with instrumentation...most notably the build.

This truly deserves to be heard and loved by many.

J&B

PS: I (Bud) was 25 and it was 1971 and my group of friends were prone to hang out at the local record store. And it was there I first saw his first album. I don't recall why I bought it but I was hooked from the get go and remain so.

To this day I can't imagine an album with more great songs on it. The bar was raised so high with it.

Thanks for such nice comments. It is especially nice coming from someone who was a fan from the get-go. That first record has no equal...

Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
This is a lovely song Floyd. I'm not familiar enough with John Prine to appreciate all the nuances and nods in your song but I really enjoyed your performance.
Somehow, John Prine is one songwriter that I missed on my trip through music but you and Bob have stoked my interest, and, thanks to Spotify, I have his whole catalogue to explore.
Love your background preamble too.
Cheers,
Mike

Thanks, Mike. If I can be a part of someone taking the time to listen to Prine's work, that is go enough for me. As I have said many times through this thread (and through my lifetime) that 1st record is really the one to hear. It is a masterpiece. (The rest of his catalog pales in comparison - anyone's would..)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/25/20 11:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ,
Passionate and very "in spirit" tribute. Excellent lyrics. Arrangement and performance is top shelf. Liked it! Thank you for sharing.

P.S. I listened to "Summer's End" and it made me think, if he stayed with us, what kind of song he would write about the situation we are in now? I guess, he left it to his followers...

Misha.

Thanks, Misha...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/26/20 11:41 AM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Masterfully written, arranged and performed, Floyd. Love the way you built the excitement. Cool story about the radio station's basement treasures.

Thanks, Marty!!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/26/20 10:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
What a tribute Floyd! Exceptionally great writing here! I also noticed shades of Don Mclean shining through. Super singing and production also! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks, Torrey, for that fine review!!
As usual, outstanding work here. I'm glad I read your entire notes before I listened to it. Very moving tribute.

So many good lines in this. (It' almost as if you could be a professional songwriter, if you tried.) smile Seriously, great job on this. I agree with HearToLearn's "Leader Of The Band" comparison (another great song).

I don't really know what else to say, you always hit it out of the park. But this one may just be the longest drive yet. (But then, I'm a sucker for the more personal, from deep in the heart kind of songs.)

Thanks for writing this!

Steve
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/27/20 11:00 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I'm a big fan of Mr. Prine and his first album was one, if not his best, album. I think every song on that album is a classic.

This is a fantastic tribute to a fantastic storyteller. You my friend are second to none when it comes to storytelling through a song.

This is super.

Thanks, Mario. I agree that first album was a classic, no question. Thanks for the kind words...

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Floyd

Just stellar. Excellent write, among your best. And really fitting tribute to JP. Topped by your usual expert production and you’ve got one outstanding tune. Killer!

Hope all is well in your world,

Deej

Thanks, Deej. I appreciate that...
floyd,

I haven't listened to John Prine so I can't compare your songs to his songs.
Apart from that, this song is great as usual.
And once again, I realize that everybody has his predecessor to worship.
I deeply felt your tribute to John Prine, even though I didn't know him.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/28/20 10:40 AM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !

I love what you´ve done here !
My new fav of your tunes, without doubt !

Cheers
Dani

smile - Thanks, Dani!
Well Damn!
That's excellent.
Good tribute, thanks.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/29/20 11:25 AM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd,

Late as ever to this one! Normally I'd be teaching for two days each week, so I thought
I'd have lots more spare time during lock-down, but somehow it hasn't worked out that way.

Anyway, here now and I have to thank you for introducing me to John Prine - I must confess that
I'd never heard his name, or one of his songs, until now. So, to put matters right I Googled him,
read his wiki, checked out some of his back catalogue and became a fan.

And your song is an excellent tribute. Great choice of RTs and nice arrangement which builds almost
imperceptibly behind the harmony vocal. Beautifully sung as ever. Faultless mix.

Nice solo....

Stay safe.
ROG.

Thanks, ROG. One of the truly satisfying things about having done a tribute to John Prine is being able to introduce him to a few people who hadn't listened to his music previously... (and as I've said several times...his first record is the one to really key on - above all else...)
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/29/20 11:48 AM
excellent attribute to john prine don't recall him but I will check him out great work Floyd thanks for sharing I don't sing but I appreciate good song writing thanks eric
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/30/20 11:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Touched my heart.

That might be my favorite review, Tangmo...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 04/30/20 11:06 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
That's a fine tribute to your mentor, I never knew/heard of John Prine but I did google him and yes , you can hear his style and ways in yourself Floyd.

Another excellent all rounder.

Thanks

beatmaster - thanks for having a listen...
Posted By: tommyad Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 05/01/20 03:33 PM
As you know, Prine was a hero of mine also. I have followed him since the early days in Chicago. His unique view of world can’t be replaced. The song is a great tribute. The best thing is how it builds and uses some of the same arrangement principles as JP. You are truly a wordsmith and a fine arranger as well as a helluva singer. Thoroughly enjoyed, Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 05/02/20 11:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
As usual, outstanding work here. I'm glad I read your entire notes before I listened to it. Very moving tribute.

So many good lines in this. (It' almost as if you could be a professional songwriter, if you tried.) smile Seriously, great job on this. I agree with HearToLearn's "Leader Of The Band" comparison (another great song).

I don't really know what else to say, you always hit it out of the park. But this one may just be the longest drive yet. (But then, I'm a sucker for the more personal, from deep in the heart kind of songs.)

Thanks for writing this!

Steve

Steve - thanks for all the nice comments. Always good to have you stop in for a listen...

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
floyd,

I haven't listened to John Prine so I can't compare your songs to his songs.
Apart from that, this song is great as usual.
And once again, I realize that everybody has his predecessor to worship.
I deeply felt your tribute to John Prine, even though I didn't know him.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki Adachi - thank you!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 05/02/20 01:55 PM
This is not the type of music I would listen to, so I have never heard of John Prince, at least consciously. But you have done a great tribute, I really appreciate how you have turned the interesting backstory of your hero to lyrics that reflect your feelings so strongly and in fine emotional details.

Janne
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 05/03/20 11:20 AM
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Well Damn!
That's excellent.
Good tribute, thanks.

Thanks for that, Captain!!

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
excellent attribute to john prine don't recall him but I will check him out great work Floyd thanks for sharing I don't sing but I appreciate good song writing thanks eric

Thanks, eric...I appreciate that...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Let It Bleed - (A John Prine tribute) - 05/03/20 03:57 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
As you know, Prine was a hero of mine also. I have followed him since the early days in Chicago. His unique view of world can’t be replaced. The song is a great tribute. The best thing is how it builds and uses some of the same arrangement principles as JP. You are truly a wordsmith and a fine arranger as well as a helluva singer. Thoroughly enjoyed, Tom

Thanks, Tom. Appreciate it. Wish I could have been there with you in Chicago in those early days!!

Originally Posted By: jannesan
This is not the type of music I would listen to, so I have never heard of John Prince, at least consciously. But you have done a great tribute, I really appreciate how you have turned the interesting backstory of your hero to lyrics that reflect your feelings so strongly and in fine emotional details.

Janne

Janne - thanks for having a listen...
© PG Music Forums