PG Music Home
Posted By: Brian Cadoret 99 Years Since The Somme - 04/18/20 10:21 AM

'99 Years Since The Somme'. Bit of a somber song this one (lyrics from a couple of years ago) but just recently recorded inspired by what's going on at the moment. In 1918 other than having a brutal war the 'Spanish flu was pandemic. Feel so lucky all we have to do is stay in our homes in 2020.

Brian

https://soundcloud.com/briancadoret/99-years-since-the-somme

Acoustic and Electric guitars played by myself all the rest from BIAB

RealTracks in song: 1253:Bass, Electric, PopShiningHeld Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 2508:String Quartet, Rhythm PopEvenHall Ev 120
RealDrums [in Song:RockEven16: a: Snare, HiHat b: Snare, Ride
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: 99 Years Since The Somme - 04/18/20 10:42 AM
Nicely done, Brian. You made me look up the Somme. Thanks for that. I'd like to hear the vocal a bit more out front.
Edit: Brian, after listening, I had to run on an errand and realized I was still humming your song. That's a good thing, right? wink
Posted By: Brian Cadoret Re: 99 Years Since The Somme - 04/18/20 10:48 AM

Thanks for that hope you didn't forget the bread and milk. smile
Posted By: Scott C Re: 99 Years Since The Somme - 04/19/20 11:51 AM
Cool song. I have a Great Uncle that is buried in France being a casualty of the First World War. Well done
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: 99 Years Since The Somme - 04/19/20 05:01 PM
Brian,

It is somber but you did a great job telling the story with a great vocal and backtrack you put together! I don't think it would hurt anything to bring the vocal up a little louder in the mix. Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: MarioD Re: 99 Years Since The Somme - 04/19/20 06:20 PM
This is very nice. I agree that you should bring the vocal more up front. It is hard to hear at times. The backing track is perfect. Super guitar work here!
Posted By: Brian Cadoret Re: 99 Years Since The Somme - 04/20/20 10:52 AM

Hi,
Thank you all for your kind comments. Agree about the vocal so I've raised it 3db, sometimes different monitor speakers produce different results so it's good to hear other thoughts, I use the Alesis Studio One's MK2 which I've had many years but still sound great for small studio work.

I've also added a stock footage video I put together, again our allies from Canada and America had awful losses in World War One and also had to fight the 'Spanish Flu pandemic which took millions of lives.
Stay safe.

Brian
Posted By: Birchwood Re: 99 Years Since The Somme - 04/20/20 12:01 PM
Hey Brian,

For whatever reason the whole song, your vocals and the band, sound brighter on YouTube then on Soundcloud.
It has somewhat bitter/cynical lyrics, but the battle of the Somme was very, very bad. We went there and on other battlefields of WWI on many occasions. I still have a big grenate in my room from Ieper.It's unbelievable to image how many were slaughtered for less than a mile of terrain gain and for what purpose? You mentioned it in your song: ''the war was nothing then lies...'.
But your performance of this song is very good. Although (as others already mentioned) you could bring up your vocals a bit more. I realise you already did that, but still. Your lyrics come out better. And also if you post them in the forum as well.

Hans
Posted By: Brian Cadoret Re: 99 Years Since The Somme - 04/20/20 01:47 PM
99 Years Since The Somme

It's been 99 years since the Somme
99 years since the Somme
99 years since the dumbest of wars was the Somme

On the first day they killed twenty thou'
Of the best boys who ever were pals
The first day they killed twenty 'thou no rationale

The war was nothing but liars
Began on the 1st of July
Till November they died