PG Music Home
These Hometown Blues

As Steve Earle said sometimes your hometown brings you down. So why not have some fun with it? Well we did have fun with this and hope you do also. Comments are welcome and your time to listen is appreciated. And, hey, it’s a short blues tune smile

Janice: lead vocal, BGV’s, melody & arrangement
Peter: guitar solos, fills & arrangement Thanks Peter!
Bud: arrangement, silly lyric, mix, mastering & photo of Janice

Vocals: Rodes NT1 > Scarlett 212 > Logic Pro X & Nectar 2

RealDrums: PopShuffleSnareGroove > Waves CLA Drums

Doubled snare: snare sample > Neutron 3 > EMT 140 plate reverb sim

RT 1583: Bass, Electric, TexasBluesRockShuffle > Waves Bass Rider > Neutron 3

RT 1584: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasBluesRockShuffleBrent

MIDI SuperTrack 1800: Piano, Rhythm TexasBluesRockShuffle > Logic Pro Grand Steinway > Logic Pro X Direction Mixer > Waves CLA Unplugged > Ozone 9 Imager

DAW: Logic Pro X
Mastering: Logic Pro X eq > Ozone 9 dynamics > Ozone 9 Maximizer > Ozone Tonal Balance 2 > YouLean Loudness Meter

© 2020 B. Merritt, J. Merritt & P. Fulham
Man ... it's almost impossible to beat a hard driving, shuffle blues. And this puppy rocks the house! But, how can you not expect ... and always receive ... near=perfection with Janice on the mic, Peter smoking those strings and Bud twisting the knobs like crazy??!! You folks some of the very best music these old ears have heard. No slow burn here ... this thing blazes all the way through.

Best to you. Please be safe ...

Alan
WOW, It takes off right from the lead-in guitar notes. Driving piano is the perfect bed for Janice's emotional voices. So well sung. And Peter's guitar is outstanding with great tone!! So enjoyable from lead-in guitar to glissando (or whatever) piano.
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Man ... it's almost impossible to beat a hard driving, shuffle blues. And this puppy rocks the house! But, how can you not expect ... and always receive ... near=perfection with Janice on the mic, Peter smoking those strings and Bud twisting the knobs like crazy??!! You folks some of the very best music these old ears have heard. No slow burn here ... this thing blazes all the way through.

Alan

Thanks Al. When it’s all said and done a blues shuffle is our favorite groove. Thanks for the positive comments and man you need to hear Peter’s “just jamming” takes! Smoking.

Thanks again and best to both of you.

J&B
Yeah, this kind of groove is always fun.

Love the vocal of course, but *really* love the background vocals, very cool.

And always enjoy hearing Peter do his cool thing.

Track sounds fabulous, Bud, I listened to the snare especially after reading your notes, nice!

Great job as usual you three!
Hi there J&B + Peter,

A classic, rocking blues track, with all the right elements in there.

A faultless backing track with a perfect choice of instruments.

Janice and Peter both flying in this one - guitar and voice full of emotion
and using that elusive and hard-to-do blues timing, which makes all the difference.

Great mix, Bud, as I've come to expect from you. (No pressure there then for next time.)

A fabulous track which made me smile.

ROG.
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
WOW, It takes off right from the lead-in guitar notes. Driving piano is the perfect bed for Janice's emotional voices. So well sung. And Peter's guitar is outstanding with great tone!! So enjoyable from lead-in guitar to glissando (or whatever) piano.

Glad you like it and thanks for mentioning the piano. After many generations that piano tag appeared after listening to many much less interesting ones.

Thanks for all!

J&B
I have run out of adjectives trying to describe how great you all are!

As usual everything is spot on, great vocal, great guitar chops and an outstanding mix.

Loved this one.
Originally Posted By: Al-David

Alan

Alan
Really appreciate the kind remarks.

Peter
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic

Thanks a lot - appreciate the comments - enjoyed your bass on Dave & Chris' recent track.

Peter
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Track sounds fabulous, Bud, I listened to the snare especially after reading your notes, nice!

Thanks Dave. Glad you like the BGV’s. That was fun. We appreciate you mentioning the mix also!

J&B
Janice, Bud, Peter...

Straight-ahead-driving Blues right from the first note. And it never lets up.

All the usual accolades apply.

Stellar vocals. Love those BGVs.
Cool/hot guitar throughout.
Superb mix.

Everyone needs a "hometown" write. And this is a good one.

Good to the last drop (note). What a cool ending!!

fj
That is pure minted, as soon as it started you ..know its pro, the guitars sound excellent and well placed ,

Its so upbeat and current for the charts, Janice's vocals are pure and driving , for this type of song.

Truly a Brilliant song ,track, and Vocals.

Well done to you all.

Take care.

Thanks
GOOD STUFF!!! Interesting the way Janice used a dissonant note in the BGs!! Peter, as always, rocked the house!! Great production, great effort all around!! Take care. Greg
J&B + Peter,
Super moving tune! Janice vocals are very engaging and lively. Cool vocal octave variation / repetitions tails. I must say, Peter's guitar stole this show smile Bud...tune shines! Your production skill level is something I look up to. Enjoyed it much. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Thanks Dave - it was a very nice one to play on.

Peter
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi there J&B + Peter,

and using that elusive and hard-to-do blues timing, which makes all the difference.

Great mix, Bud, as I've come to expect from you. (No pressure there then for next time.)

ROG.

ROG, you know your music and we admire your productions - all meaning your comments are hugely appreciated. Thank you!

J&B
I mentioned in Dave’ s song that this is my favourite genre. Another perfect blues tune. Awesome vocal and Peters guitar hits it out of the park. Very cool backtrack and harmonies. Loved the mix. Well done

sounds great y'all!

smile
I have been out for that past several weeks, so when I get a chance to reconnect with all my friends in the forum, I always look for a Janice and Bud (and Peter). Because I know I will never be disappointed. And I never am! This, like everything I hear from you guys, is awesome. Great job by all!

So glad I had time to get back here.

Steve
This has great energy. As always, the vox are sooo very good. Guitar excellent as well. Loved listening to it.
Originally Posted By: MarioD

As usual everything is spot on, great vocal, great guitar chops and an outstanding mix.

Loved this one.

You are too kind Mario...but we’ll take it! smile

Thanks,

J&B
Janice, Bud & Peter,
Good to hear Peter letting rip and Janice having fun ( those bgv`s are so cool!).
The piano track is a gem and all production items checked in the "pro-level" box.
The song theme sounds familiar : "Hometown Refugee" being one of my favourites of yours, its interesting to find the feelings writers draw on being cyclical.

Robert
Great groove, you can always trust on good old Texas blues. Some nice momentary steps out of the traditional blues formula with the chords that are highlighted by the background vocals, enjoyable surprise. Great arrangement and mix, Peter's guitar playing and of course Janice's vocals really make this fly through the roof.

Janne
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi there J&B + Peter,

ROG.

Thanks a lot Rog.

Peter
Fun lyric and rollickin' blues. Guitar is in the pocket. It all sounds good (especially Janice) and makes me smile. But I gotta tell you--them harmonies is nuts. Fun.
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Janice, Bud, Peter...

Superb mix.

fj

Thanks. This is an old write. One of our first blues efforts and at a time when we were thinking a lot about moving out west. Glad you liked the BGV’s too!

J&B
Hi J&B and Peter
Loved this. Those backing vocals are so creative (and the lead vocal is of course superb, as per usual). Peter is in his comfort zone and right on the money. Great mix as always.
Regards,
Leon
Great production. Cool song. Good lyrics. Great vocals and lead guitar. Congratulations to all.
Janice & Bud, Peter,

Very nice driving!
Your collaboration on this type of song is second to none. Excellent work here.
Great vocals and great guitars!
The cover photo is very nice.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Loved this one.

Thanks Mario always appreciate the support.

Peter
Hi Janice, Bud and Peter,

So this is what happens when you stay inside too long! You make funny songs with silly lyrics (your own words).
For me that was great fun listening to! The guitarsolo was great, the vocals -of course- too, and at the end of the song it felt as if the piano went sky high!
I liked that repeating of words in the song too. Gave me a broad smile. The disadvantage of this is that it stays in my head now.
Now my wife gets crazy from me repeating every last word 5 times...

Cheers,
Hans
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
That is pure minted, as soon as it started you ..know its pro, the guitars sound excellent and well placed ,

Its so upbeat and current for the charts, Janice's vocals are pure and driving , for this type of song.

Well done to you all.

Take care.

Thanks

Thanks. Those are nice supportive comments and they are appreciated by all. And thanks for the mix comments!

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
GOOD STUFF!!! Interesting the way Janice used a dissonant note in the BGs!! Peter, as always, rocked the house!! Great production, great effort all around!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg. Glad you liked it! During those BGV lines there is either a C7b9 or a A7b9 chord both of which have C# as a chord or root note-- Since she goes to a C# all I (Bud) can
figure is that as she said "I was just following the piano!" smile You have a fine ear.
We appreciate your remarks.

J&B
Man, oh man! That guitar is electrifying. My speakers are sizzling!

Once more, great vocals. Production and instrumentation are aces.
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Janice, Bud, Peter...

Superb mix.

fj

Thanks floyd.

Peter
Wow, Bags of Real Quality Blues right from the first note.

Peter sets that axe on fire, Janice does the usual superb job in front of the mic, Bud stuck the lot together with nothing wanting, not even missing the photo!

Great party, everyone.
Hats off as usual. Janice sings the lights out of this song, as per usual, Peter's so crisp on the guitar (again, as usual) and the production is laser-sharp - yes, as usual. That's it! go and listen to it, folks! :-) BRAVI!!!
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
J&B + Peter,
Super moving tune! Janice vocals are very engaging and lively. Cool vocal octave variation / repetitions tails. I must say, Peter's guitar stole this show smile Bud...tune shines! Your production skill level is something I look up to. Enjoyed it much. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks Misha. We all appreciate your thoughtful remarks. It was a fun project! However, production wise it was not exactly in my wheelhouse.

J&B
Great straight up Blues tune. Nice production. Great Feel.
All the accolades afforded you three are highly deserved. Nothing comes out of Georgia Homestead Studios unless it is first rate. The production just doesn’t get much better. And that sanger. Man oh man! Couple that with a first rate write and some red hot guitar lines and it all ends up as a winning combination. Even those not steeped in the blues as we are can find something to like here. Every piece just seems so natural and completely unforced. Top of the class, Tom
A real toe tapper.
Interesting vocal tracks.
Originally Posted By: Scott C
I mentioned in Dave’ s song that this is my favourite genre. Another perfect blues tune. Awesome vocal and Peters guitar hits it out of the park. Very cool backtrack and harmonies. Loved the mix. Well done

Thanks Scott. We’re glad a blues man likes this!

J&B

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

sounds great y'all!

smile

Thanks

J&B
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
J&B + Peter,

Misha.

Misha - too kind...
Peter

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Thanks Greg.

Peter

Originally Posted By: beatmaster

Well done to you all.

Take care.

Thanks

Thanks.

Peter
Yep, a foot tapping tune indeed, then again, nothing less can be expected from you guys.
Great blues! Loved it.

Mike B.
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
I have been out for that past several weeks, so when I get a chance to reconnect with all my friends in the forum, I always look for a Janice and Bud (and Peter). Because I know I will never be disappointed. And I never am! This, like everything I hear from you guys, is awesome. Great job by all!

So glad I had time to get back here.

Steve

Thanks Steve. It’s great to have you back around. We missed you and your music!

J&B
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
This has great energy. As always, the vox are sooo very good. Guitar excellent as well. Loved listening to it.

Thanks for listening and your supportive remarks!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Janice, Bud & Peter,
Good to hear Peter letting rip and Janice having fun ( those bgv`s are so cool!).
The piano track is a gem and all production items checked in the "pro-level" box.
The song theme sounds familiar : "Hometown Refugee" being one of my favourites of yours, its interesting to find the feelings writers draw on being cyclical.

Robert

Thanks Robert. Glad you liked the piano - got lucky with it. And we appreciate your mention of Hometown Refugee. It’s also one of our favorite productions. And, it’s likely our hometown will prove worthy of another such write smile

J&B

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Great groove, you can always trust on good old Texas blues. Some nice momentary steps out of the traditional blues formula with the chords that are highlighted by the background vocals, enjoyable surprise. Great arrangement and mix, Peter's guitar playing and of course Janice's vocals really make this fly through the roof.

Janne

Thanks for all and for mentioning the chords. I had hoped they would work. And Janice much appreciates your nice comment!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Fun lyric and rollickin' blues. Guitar is in the pocket. It all sounds good (especially Janice) and makes me smile. But I gotta tell you--them harmonies is nuts. Fun.

Smiling is what it’s all about!

Thanks,

J&B

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi J&B and Peter
Loved this. Those backing vocals are so creative (and the lead vocal is of course superb, as per usual). Peter is in his comfort zone and right on the money. Great mix as always.
Regards,
Leon

Thank you very much Leon!

J&B

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Great production. Cool song. Good lyrics. Great vocals and lead guitar. Congratulations to all.

Thanks!

J&B

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Janice & Bud, Peter,

Very nice driving!
Your collaboration on this type of song is second to none. Excellent work here.
Great vocals and great guitars!
The cover photo is very nice.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki. It's always great to hear from you. Appreciate you mentioning the photo also.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Janice, Bud and Peter,

So this is what happens when you stay inside too long! You make funny songs with silly lyrics (your own words).
For me that was great fun listening to! The guitarsolo was great, the vocals -of course- too, and at the end of the song it felt as if the piano went sky high!
I liked that repeating of words in the song too. Gave me a broad smile. The disadvantage of this is that it stays in my head now.
Now my wife gets crazy from me repeating every last word 5 times...

Cheers,
Hans

Thank you Hans. Glad it stuck with you! Thanks for the support.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Man, oh man! That guitar is electrifying. My speakers are sizzling!

Once more, great vocals. Production and instrumentation are aces.

Thank you. Yep, Peter was scorching!!

J&B
Great rocking track, with strong vocals and some sweet guitar (reminds me a little of early Clapton circa "Bluesbreakers"). Nice job folks!
Janice, Bud and Peter:

Really fun blues tune—classic. Would go over great live, with lots of head bobbing and feet tapping. Well done!

All my best,

Deej
Chalk up another winner for the Fab Three and rack 'em.
Oh, those home towns. You can't beat 'em.
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Wow, Bags of Real Quality Blues right from the first note.

Peter sets that axe on fire, Janice does the usual superb job in front of the mic, Bud stuck the lot together with nothing wanting, not even missing the photo!

Great party, everyone.

“Bags of real quality blues...” Thank you. That means a lot!

J&B

Originally Posted By: musician17
Hats off as usual. Janice sings the lights out of this song, as per usual, Peter's so crisp on the guitar (again, as usual) and the production is laser-sharp - yes, as usual. That's it! go and listen to it, folks! :-) BRAVI!!!

Too kind! We appreciate it.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Elliott Kayne
Great straight up Blues tune. Nice production. Great Feel.

Thanks Elliot!

J&B
Originally Posted By: tommyad
All the accolades afforded you three are highly deserved. Nothing comes out of Georgia Homestead Studios unless it is first rate. The production just doesn’t get much better. And that sanger. Man oh man! Couple that with a first rate write and some red hot guitar lines and it all ends up as a winning combination. Even those not steeped in the blues as we are can find something to like here. Every piece just seems so natural and completely unforced. Top of the class, Tom

Tom, we said it before but comments like this from somebody with your production and performance chops makes our efforts seem worthwhile. We appreciate all the support over the years very much!

J&B
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
A real toe tapper.
Interesting vocal tracks.

Thanks Cap’n!

J&B

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Yep, a foot tapping tune indeed, then again, nothing less can be expected from you guys.
Great blues! Loved it.

Mike B.

Thanks Mike. Glad you liked it and the blues!

J&B
Never fail to enjoy your music guys, doesn't matter what the style is. Janice, you could bring life to a cemetary. Love your vocals !!
Originally Posted By: lasvideo
Great rocking track, with strong vocals and some sweet guitar (reminds me a little of early Clapton circa "Bluesbreakers"). Nice job folks!

Thanks. We felt the same about the solo!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Janice, Bud and Peter:

Really fun blues tune—classic. Would go over great live, with lots of head bobbing and feet tapping. Well done!

All my best,

Deej

Thanks. Live? Been 10 years since we’ve done that. Would be fun!

J&B

Originally Posted By: edshaw
Chalk up another winner for the Fab Three and rack 'em.
Oh, those home towns. You can't beat 'em.

Ain’t that that the truth!

Thank.

J&B

Originally Posted By: furry
Never fail to enjoy your music guys, doesn't matter what the style is. Janice, you could bring life to a cemetary. Love your vocals !!

Hahaha. Thanks!

J&B
© PG Music Forums