PG Music Home
Dear followers on the PG-Music forum,

Since a few years I am a very pleased owner of band in a box 2017 for Mac. I am a music teacher, and I create play-along movies for my pupils.

Today I composed a round (canon) for recorder (soprano, but it can also be played on alto or tenor). I made two versions of the same composition.

The title of the song is I love my recorder!
BPM = 100. 4/4 measure, G major. Chords: G - D - Em - C D

1. A color-notes play along (also suitable for boomwhackers or other chromanotes instruments).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Lp-HwqiLw

This is recorded with a 'soft instrument' called Medieval Recorder in Logic Pro X (Mac). It has a slight reverb setting. The style in BiaB is called : _ROOTSYP.STY.

2. A b/w-notes play along in a more Acoustic style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMxXD5i5OBA

I personally can not decide which version is my favourite. I played the recorder myself (I picked my so beloved Aulos 703B "Haka" soprona recorder). I recorded it with Logic Pro X (Mac) with my Shure MV5. And here I also added a little reverb to the recorder tracks. The style in BiaB is called: _SOBBING.STY. I love the Cello and acoustic Guitar so much. It sounds very real, like this accompaniment was written for my composition.

I hope you like my songs as well. Thanks, Marius
Nicely done.

Someday I should learn something about music.
That was a fun video. The song is really sweet and bright. I like it.
Hi Meester Marius,

I presume you are master on the recorder!
Well that is what you are. I've tried a recorder once for compositiomn purposes, but the tones I got out of it were all 'staccato', while you play so fluently.
It is a very nice melody you made. I prefered the acoustic version more, because I like the guitar and violin in it. The other version isn't really my thing.

There is one thing though. You recorded the recorder (...) a bit too loud. This isn't so wrong, but when the second recorder came in, that was hurting my ears a bit. And they already have something to endure with my own music...

In Dutch: ik ben wel blij weer een Nederlander op dit forum aan te treffen. Kom vaker! En kijk of je BiaB 2020 voor de Mac kunt aanschaffen. Echt goed!

People who want to know what I wrote, use Google translate ;-)
Hans
Hi Hans,

Wow, thank you so much for your kind words and your suggestion. You are right about the 'balance' in the sound. I find it extremely hard to find a good balance in sound. This is the end phase of a mix, which is absolutely something I find very hard.

When I am doing the music editing, I am to focussed on everything, and on my headphone it sounds right on a sudden moment, and when I hear it back a day later, I hear the same as what you say now.

I am a music teacher in primary schools (4-12 years) in the Netherlands, and next to that job I have my own private music school where I currently only teach general music with recorder. My main instrument is piano, but when I am honest, and look deep in my heart, I love the recorder more...

Dutch:
Ja man, hartstikke leuk! Ik wist helemaal niet dat dit zo'n gaaf forum is. Wat een vriendelijke mensen steeds. Echt leuk.

(Yes man, very nice! I did not knew this was such a cool forum. What a kind and friendly people here all the time, really nice).

Greetz
Marius
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
That was a fun video. The song is really sweet and bright. I like it.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate this a lot.
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Nicely done.

Someday I should learn something about music.

Thank you! It means a lot to me that people like it. I am not a composer, and it took me quite some 'confidence energy' to be brave enough to create and post this.

I must say, some knowledge about harmonics and rhythm does help indeed. I always enjoyed the music theory lessons at the Rotterdam Conservatory. Every wednesday (studied there from 1994-2000) we had 4 hours long theory course... every week! Learned a lot. It was one of the best parts of the entire music course.
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Meester Marius,
In Dutch: ik ben wel blij weer een Nederlander op dit forum aan te treffen. Kom vaker! En kijk of je BiaB 2020 voor de Mac kunt aanschaffen. Echt goed!

I was considering this. I already love BiaB 2017 for Mac... with all those beautiful realtracks. Is 2020 much better compared to 2017? The power is in the real tracks that is for sure, but if there is much more to explore in 2020, I will most certainly purchase it.

And yes I will visit this forum more frequently. It is amazing!
A lot of fun and well produced.

Definitely one of the best 'recorder' recordings around.

Great video, intuitive.
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
A lot of fun and well produced.

Definitely one of the best 'recorder' recordings around.

Great video, intuitive.

Thank you SO MUCH. It is great to make these movies (with Motion 5 and Logic Pro X, and BiaB and my Soprano recorder). It really helps my pupils to play on their instrument at home. And it is also very much fun to create.

Thanks for all kind words people!
Easily the best recorder piece I've heard here.....(we don't get too many).

Lovely playing and a very pretty composition - really nicely done.

Peter
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Easily the best recorder piece I've heard here.....(we don't get too many).

Lovely playing and a very pretty composition - really nicely done.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks! I find all the kind words here on the forum very motivating. It really encourages me to go write a new piece.

I was surprised myself too how well the recorder sounds with the BiaB tracks. It took me a while though before I had the melody in tune. Playing recorder itself is not too hard but blowing too fast or too slow alters the pitch of the tone and that is terrible when you record it. I have recorded it over 50 times before I thought... okay now it is in tune enough. Haha and then I realized it was slightly out of time here and there hahaha. And then I was like: ok... do not touch it again Marius haha. Perfectionism is a energy killer!

So thank you for your kind words. I appreciate them a lot!
© PG Music Forums