PG Music Home
First of all I'm pleased to announce that the blues/rock duo of Dave and Chris is now a trio with the addition of Marty Straub from BabuMusic on Bass, I asked him if he would like to join Blue Attitude after talking to Chris about it. Welcome aboard, Marty!

Here is our latest:

On The Run

The band:

RealTracks in song: 808:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm DrivingCountryBalladDirty Ev 065 (B:quarters)
RealTracks in song: 3334:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BluesPopSlow16thsSol ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 880:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm NorthernRockGrittyStrum Sw16 075

Bass: Marty Straub
Piano: Chris Spruit
Lead Guitar: Dave Bell

I used EZDrummer2 for the drums

Mixed with Reaper using native plugins, also plugins from iZotope and Waves, mastered with Ozone 9.

EDIT: floyd asked for details on the signal chain used for the lead guitar and bass

Lead guitar is plugged directly into my interface (Scarlett 2i4) and is run through S-Gear. I'm also using the CLA Guitars plugin on it, also the new Blu-cat AcouFiend plugin.

Marty also plugs his bass in direct, no FX. I added Neutron 2 to the bass track, mostly to roll off the lows so it didn't conflict with the bass drum. Also bumped the mids, and added an exciter and compressor.

EDIT2: Trev asked what Chris uses on her vocal. This is her reply:

Mic: Peluso 22251
Interface: Steinberg UR 242
She also has one of those portable vocal booth things

On the Run - Christiane Spruit, 2020

I've been waiting
for another sunny day
I don't want these clouds
in the sky

And you know that I always
begging you to stay
but my heart is
on the run

You told me
I can't count how many times
I heard you swear
It's over

But you knew, exactly,
that I would come and run
back to you
now it's over

All the damage done
I used to walk ,but now I run
dare to say
on my way

Trying to catch the sun
maybe I am on the run
from you
one day in the sun

Solo

All the damage done
I used to walk ,but now I run
from you

Trying to catch the sun
maybe I am on the run
from you

Outro vamp

One day in the sun
one day in the sun

All the damage done
maybe I am on the run

one day in the sun
one day in the sun

Trying to catch the sun
maybe I am on the run
from you

Also uploaded to soundcloud: On the Run

and youtube:

As always we welcome all comments!

This is great. I'm not sure I've heard Chris sound better. Strong melody line and wonderful harmonies. The band is solid...except for Marty. He's a gas. Your play here is very expressive. The leads are really good and the fills maybe even better. To be honest, at times the lead felt a little rushed, but that's just on one listen.

I hope your contract with Marty is non-exclusive. I'm just saying, is all. Great intro to the new BA line-up.
Starts off in a Hendrix groove. I like this. You guys have become quite the prolific writing team.

Good song and a good job on the recording too
Chris, Dave & Marty... Blue Attitude...

A great band. Pure and simple.

Every release seems to get better (if that is even possible).

Chris' writes are getting so in-the-pocket! Her vocals, too...

Marty's bass is awesome (details on how that is recorded?? it's impressive)

Dave - that might be the most "commercial" sounding lead you have offered up so far (a good thing in my book). Loved it. (Is this still S-Gear?? and is that direct into an interface?)

Top-shelf mix.

What more can be said???

fj
Congrats on the collaboration.

Good song, well done.

I'm a guitar guy, really liked the guitar on this one.
thanks for providing the details.
Whoa!

This song you all have come up with is really sweet!

At first, I thought it sounded a little like Hendrix in the beginning.

And then BAM!

The female vocal surprised me (pleasantly)...
Wow, congratulations for the new member smile Bit lighter song, more pop with a catchy chorus. Fantastic guitar solo playing. Marty's bass brings liveliness and Chris's voice is enjoyable as always. Reminds me of Prince (the chording and the guitars) and also a little bit of Fleetwood Mac.

Janne
Dave,Chris & Marty,
I enjoyed that Hendrix-like intro leading into a great slow burner. Simple,powerful music with an awesome vocal and,of course, a soaring guitar solo.
A very talented threesome you are; its cool that you`ve found Marty on the forum... good things are coming!

Robert
I am so glad you guys have joined forces. I am sure this will add another level of magic to your songs. I just love playing to a strong bass line. This was an excellent tune. Dave your guitar was awesome. Chris's vocal was excellent and well. And Marty such a nice add to the tune. The mix was perfect. Well done
Dave / Chris /Marty

Brilliant. Top stuff all round, all comes together wonderfully.

Loved the intro, and solos, bass sounds just right and Chris has never sounded better.

Great.

Peter
VERY cool. Well done all.
I'm impressed with the EZ Drums - they aren't complicated or unrealistic - (the trap many fall into with it).
Loved it.
Posted By: ROG Re: On The Run /introducing Marty Straub on Bass - 05/05/20 07:26 AM
Hi Dave, Chris and Marty,

What a fabulous BIG sound and a really cool Rock Ballad - shades of "Starship" in there, I think.
Great solo, very much in the Starship fashion and Chris starting to sound like Grace Slick. Wonderful.

Great bass from Marty underpinning an excellent backing track.

Loved the whole thing.

ROG.

This is really a very great song! I couldn't express myself better than the other responses here.
Chris sings very well, of course, but she surpassed herself here.
The lead guitar plays marvelous and Marty surpassed himself with a strong bass guitar playing.
This is really one day in the sun!

Hans
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
This is great. I'm not sure I've heard Chris sound better. Strong melody line and wonderful harmonies. The band is solid...except for Marty. He's a gas. Your play here is very expressive. The leads are really good and the fills maybe even better. To be honest, at times the lead felt a little rushed, but that's just on one listen.

Could be (rushed). For me if it feels good it is good, not looking for perfection. One of my favorite players is Buddy Guy, back when he was in his prime. He really played ahead of the beat, Otis Rush too. Thanks, happy you liked it!

I hope your contract with Marty is non-exclusive. I'm just saying, is all. Great intro to the new BA line-up.

Have your people contact my people, I'm sure we can work something out! eek

Blue Attitude,
Nice family addition! smile
Solid first tune as band! If this wasn't announced and I've heard it for the first time, I would imagine that Marty played for years with BA.
Ok, you proved that you can behave well together, now I want to hear some WILD STUFF!
Joking aside, I wish to hear many cool songs from you in the future as a team. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
The band is solid...except for Marty. He's a gas.

I hope your contract with Marty is non-exclusive.

Hahaha. That's a great line, Tangmo. That's as good as Mario's changing signature.

As for the non-exclusive part... well, yeah, as Dave said, have your people call his people... [BUT I'm easy, man. I'll change my name for the privilege. smile ]
Hi Dave, Chris and Marty
That Hendrix-like opening also gets my vote - nice! Chris' vocal, as always, is excellent but I particularly enjoyed the harmonies on this one. The usual fluid guitar work and great to hear the interplay with Marty's bass.
Regards,
Leon
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Starts off in a Hendrix groove. I like this. You guys have become quite the prolific writing team.

Good song and a good job on the recording too

Thanks very much, Herb!
Dave, Chris and Marty,

This is the best track you've posted under the Blue Attitude banner IMHO!! Chris's vocals are always spot on and pro quality! Dave , your guitar work is second to none around here and sounds great! Adding Marty's bass work elevates your tracks to a higher level and definitely enhances this one! This combo you have is one to keep! Great job! Thanks, Torrey
Marty's a gas. He folded right in. That howling shred that starts at 01:59 will get your attention. Great vocals.
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Chris, Dave & Marty... Blue Attitude...

A great band. Pure and simple.

Every release seems to get better (if that is even possible).

Chris' writes are getting so in-the-pocket! Her vocals, too...

Marty's bass is awesome (details on how that is recorded?? it's impressive)

Dave - that might be the most "commercial" sounding lead you have offered up so far (a good thing in my book). Loved it. (Is this still S-Gear?? and is that direct into an interface?)

Top-shelf mix.

What more can be said???

fj

Thanks very much, floyd!

I updated the song description with the details on how the bass and guitar were recorded and processed as per your request.
Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Congrats on the collaboration.

Good song, well done.

I'm a guitar guy, really liked the guitar on this one.
thanks for providing the details.

Thanks, Captain!

Yes, I'm always trying to find the ultimate guitar tone for these projects.
Originally Posted By: Bawb
Whoa!

This song you all have come up with is really sweet!

At first, I thought it sounded a little like Hendrix in the beginning.

And then BAM!

The female vocal surprised me (pleasantly)...

I can hear the Hendrix thing now that people have mentioned it, those little two note chord things he used to do.

Thanks very much for the listen/comments! Loved your latest, great vocal!
Wonderful vocals. Love that electric guitar. Bass sounds great too. Well written song. Production is top notch. Great job everyone. I like it.
Extraordinary. Another perfectly produced number.

The balance, the vocals, the backings, the instrumentation is just simply world class.

What a great listen. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Could you share more about your microphone setup for the vocals? The quality of the recording is first class.
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Wow, congratulations for the new member smile Bit lighter song, more pop with a catchy chorus. Fantastic guitar solo playing. Marty's bass brings liveliness and Chris's voice is enjoyable as always. Reminds me of Prince (the chording and the guitars) and also a little bit of Fleetwood Mac.

Janne

Very generous of you, Janne, thanks! I listened to a lot of Fleetwood Mac back in the day, one of my favourite bands.
You three have got it goin on now. All sound at the top of your game. This may be my favorite vocal from Chris and Mart’s playing brings everything to a higher level. Dave’s guitar work is always stellar. Really good stuff. Much enjoyed, Tom
Where to start? We listened to all three platforms and even my old ears felt that ReverbNation was more punchy, in a good way, than the others. But thanks for adding it to SC so we can then add it to our fav playlist smile The video was cool and we liked the emphasis on certain words and phrases.

Janice and I were discussing after the listen the paucity of lady blues rock singers. And we have to say that even if there were a lot of them out there Chris would top the chart. This is a fabulous vocal(s). And as always her lyrics are tailor made for the soaring vocal.

And speaking of soaring...man, that guitar is scorching. Great.

Somebody said y'all have added a bass player? smile Hard to beat a bass track like that...one that's played by somebody who clearly is listening to what's going on with the other tracks. So supportive.

And the drums, well, how about WOW!

And the way you used those RT's, another WOW!

And you mentioned Buddy Guy in a response. We've been fans for a long time.

Wonderful things happening here you three.

J&B
Brilliant sound guitar is minted, Although your bass player is highlighting this with excellent bass runs, vocals are excellent reminds me of Christine McVie Fleetwood Mac fame, and Ez Drummer.. well need to invest in this.

Thanks
Yes, started out very Hendrixy. Very good guitar comping and solo, listened a few times to great enjoyment. Chris is always nonpareil. Excellent work all around.
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Dave,Chris & Marty,
I enjoyed that Hendrix-like intro leading into a great slow burner. Simple,powerful music with an awesome vocal and,of course, a soaring guitar solo.
A very talented threesome you are; its cool that you`ve found Marty on the forum... good things are coming!

Robert

I pretty much stick to the KISS method, that's for sure!

Thanks for the listen and kind words, appreciated!
Originally Posted By: Scott C
I am so glad you guys have joined forces. I am sure this will add another level of magic to your songs. I just love playing to a strong bass line. This was an excellent tune. Dave your guitar was awesome. Chris's vocal was excellent and well. And Marty such a nice add to the tune. The mix was perfect. Well done

Greatly appreciated, thanks, Scott!
BlueAttitude,

Well, it was always a terrific duo . . . and now made even better with the addition of Marty. Love the tune—killer harmonies, perfectly mixed that really resonate. Just the right touch of reverb/delay. Yeah, this is a real sweet one. I don’t listen to the radio much anymore, but even then I can confidently say this is as good if not better than what I would hear. Congrats on the impressive collaboration!

My very humble regards,

Deej
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave / Chris /Marty

Brilliant. Top stuff all round, all comes together wonderfully.

Loved the intro, and solos, bass sounds just right and Chris has never sounded better.

Great.

Peter

Thanks, Peter!
Great song all around. Loved everything about it!

Mike B.
Dave and Chris (and now Marty),
As usual, your work is top notch.
The song is strong, Chris's vocals are spot on, Dave's guitar sings and the band rocks (nice choice of guitar RealTracks too).
Thanks for sharing guys.
Mike
Hi, Dave, Marty and Chris !

Absolutely wonderful tune this
with everything sounding so
great ! I like everything about this !
Congrats to a most superb
collab !

Stay safe !

Cheers
Dani
Originally Posted By: rayc
VERY cool. Well done all.
I'm impressed with the EZ Drums - they aren't complicated or unrealistic - (the trap many fall into with it).
Loved it.

Thanks, Ray!

Yes, EZDrummer is a great tool. I've been using it more and more over the last couple of months, lots of options there to play with.
Originally Posted By: ROG

What a fabulous BIG sound and a really cool Rock Ballad - shades of "Starship" in there, I think.
Great solo, very much in the Starship fashion and Chris starting to sound like Grace Slick. Wonderful.

Great bass from Marty underpinning an excellent backing track.

Loved the whole thing.

ROG.

Hi, ROG,

Starship is a band that slipped under my radar a little, although I listened to lots of Airplane back in the day. Love Grace Slick!

Thanks for your generous comments, appreciated!
Originally Posted By: Birchwood

This is really a very great song! I couldn't express myself better than the other responses here.
Chris sings very well, of course, but she surpassed herself here.
The lead guitar plays marvelous and Marty surpassed himself with a strong bass guitar playing.
This is really one day in the sun!

Hans

Thanks, Hans!
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Blue Attitude,
Nice family addition! smile
Solid first tune as band! If this wasn't announced and I've heard it for the first time, I would imagine that Marty played for years with BA.
Ok, you proved that you can behave well together, now I want to hear some WILD STUFF!
Joking aside, I wish to hear many cool songs from you in the future as a team. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Naw, wild stuff is for young guys like you, Misha!

Thanks for your listen and comments, it is appreciated smile
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Dave, Chris and Marty
That Hendrix-like opening also gets my vote - nice! Chris' vocal, as always, is excellent but I particularly enjoyed the harmonies on this one. The usual fluid guitar work and great to hear the interplay with Marty's bass.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks for the listen and comments, Leon!

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Dave, Chris and Marty,

This is the best track you've posted under the Blue Attitude banner IMHO!! Chris's vocals are always spot on and pro quality! Dave , your guitar work is second to none around here and sounds great! Adding Marty's bass work elevates your tracks to a higher level and definitely enhances this one! This combo you have is one to keep! Great job! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks very much, Torrey!

Originally Posted By: edshaw
Marty's a gas. He folded right in. That howling shred that starts at 01:59 will get your attention. Great vocals.

Yes, he is fun to work with. Thanks, Ed!
I also heard some Hendrix in the vibe.....can't do better than that!! Really classy track!! Wonderful tune, playing, vocals.... A BIAB Wall of famer for sure!!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Wonderful vocals. Love that electric guitar. Bass sounds great too. Well written song. Production is top notch. Great job everyone. I like it.

Thanks very much jpt*3!

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Extraordinary. Another perfectly produced number.

The balance, the vocals, the backings, the instrumentation is just simply world class.

What a great listen. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Could you share more about your microphone setup for the vocals? The quality of the recording is first class.

Very much appreciate those comments, Trev! I updated the song description to include the setup Chris is using.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
You three have got it goin on now. All sound at the top of your game. This may be my favorite vocal from Chris and Mart’s playing brings everything to a higher level. Dave’s guitar work is always stellar. Really good stuff. Much enjoyed, Tom

We are slowly getting better the more songs we do I think. And Marty really adds to the mix. Most important for all three of us is having fun with it.

Thanks, Tom!
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Where to start? We listened to all three platforms and even my old ears felt that ReverbNation was more punchy, in a good way, than the others. But thanks for adding it to SC so we can then add it to our fav playlist smile The video was cool and we liked the emphasis on certain words and phrases.

Janice and I were discussing after the listen the paucity of lady blues rock singers. And we have to say that even if there were a lot of them out there Chris would top the chart. This is a fabulous vocal(s). And as always her lyrics are tailor made for the soaring vocal.

And speaking of soaring...man, that guitar is scorching. Great.

Somebody said y'all have added a bass player? smile Hard to beat a bass track like that...one that's played by somebody who clearly is listening to what's going on with the other tracks. So supportive.

And the drums, well, how about WOW!

And the way you used those RT's, another WOW!

And you mentioned Buddy Guy in a response. We've been fans for a long time.

Wonderful things happening here you three.

J&B

Thanks so much Janice and Bud, we really appreciate those kind words!
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Brilliant sound guitar is minted, Although your bass player is highlighting this with excellent bass runs, vocals are excellent reminds me of Christine McVie Fleetwood Mac fame, and Ez Drummer.. well need to invest in this.

Thanks

Christine McVie is a great singer, overshadowed somewhat by Stevie Nicks in that band. Before Fleetwood Mac she sang for a straight blues band called Chicken Shack. Tnaks for the listen and comments!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Yes, started out very Hendrixy. Very good guitar comping and solo, listened a few times to great enjoyment. Chris is always nonpareil. Excellent work all around.

Thanks, TuneMonger!

Originally Posted By: Deej56
BlueAttitude,

Well, it was always a terrific duo . . . and now made even better with the addition of Marty. Love the tune—killer harmonies, perfectly mixed that really resonate. Just the right touch of reverb/delay. Yeah, this is a real sweet one. I don’t listen to the radio much anymore, but even then I can confidently say this is as good if not better than what I would hear. Congrats on the impressive collaboration!

My very humble regards,

Deej

Appreciate that Deej!
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Great song all around. Loved everything about it!

Mike B.

Thanks, Mike!

Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
Dave and Chris (and now Marty),
As usual, your work is top notch.
The song is strong, Chris's vocals are spot on, Dave's guitar sings and the band rocks (nice choice of guitar RealTracks too).
Thanks for sharing guys.
Mike

Yes, there are some great guitar RealTracks available, that's for sure! I almost always end up using at least one.

Thanks for stopping by!

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Dave, Marty and Chris !

Absolutely wonderful tune this
with everything sounding so
great ! I like everything about this !
Congrats to a most superb
collab !

Stay safe !

Cheers
Dani

Hey Dani, great to see you! Thanks for the listen/comments.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
I also heard some Hendrix in the vibe.....can't do better than that!! Really classy track!! Wonderful tune, playing, vocals.... A BIAB Wall of famer for sure!!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg!

© PG Music Forums