PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/04/20 11:51 AM
A co-write with Reid Richmond.

Through the '90's (and beyond), almost every year a rumor would run through the Nashville writing community that "Country radio is moving back to a more traditional sound".
And that never really happens.
It just keeps moving forward.

But...during one of those rumor periods, when Reid and I got together to write (which we did a bunch) we figured we'd throw one out there to "catch that coming traditional wave". HA!

This one got enough interest that it was published and pitched (by Sony/ATV).

I'll post a link to the Nashville demo in the post right below this.

Anyway... I'd thought I'd do my own version of this.

Needless to say, the perfect choice for a harmony partner was Janice Merritt.

The BAND:
RealTracks in style: ~535:Bass, Electric, Pop Sw 085
RealTracks in style: 2918:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryFolkSlowSwingBrent Sw 085
RealTracks in style: 3173:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CampfireSlowSwing Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 2876:Fiddle, Background AmericanaSlow128Andy Sw 040
RealTracks in song: 2043 Mandolin, Soloist CountryWaltzAndy Sw 085
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2657:Piano, Rhythm CountryBentNoteJohn Sw 085
RealDrums [in style:NashvilleSwing8^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Harmony: Janice Merritt

LEAVING THE LEAVING UP TO YOU

i introduced myself the night that we met
it's always been up to me to take the first step
you couldn't give your love 'til i gave you mine
but if there are hearts about to be broken
it's your turn this time

i'm leavin' the leavin' up to you
   that's the one thing... i can't do
   i'd do anything you'd ask me to
   but i'm leavin' the leavin' up to you

if there's a chance for us, i'll ask you to stay
if we can fall back in love, i'll lead the way
i'd be the first to say at times i've been wrong
but there's no mistaking just where and to whom
the next move belongs

i'm leavin' the leavin' up to you
   that's the one thing... i can't do
   i'd do anything you'd ask me to
   i'd do anything.. you'd ask me to

Hope you enjoy the trip back.
J&B - Thank You (again!!)

fj
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/04/20 11:55 AM
You should consider commenting on the BIAB version before listening to this if you are so inclined.

I have little doubt that there will be the usual "I like this one better" thing.
But comparisons are a personal choice and a rather moot point.
Shannon is one hell of a singer. And the players on the demo are as good as they come.
I am quite satisfied that BIAB rendered a useable recording and I would have no problem pitching it.

I detailed the demo process in another thread - where I did the same thing...sang my own version of a song that was demoed and pitched in Nashville.
You can find that here if you are interested:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=554750#Post554750

So.... here is the Nashville demo.
TURN THE VOLUME DOWN before you hit Play here. For some reason it is really loud!!

We got Shannon Brown to sing the demo. She was signed to a record deal shortly after that (she had several deals over the years, none of which took flight) and we hoped that she might carry this one along for the ride, but her sound was geared to the newer stuff at the time (of course).

LEAVING THE LEAVING UP TO YOU - Nashville Demo

And here are a couple videos of Shannon "doing her thing"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeFFeLU8xDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9rh6Alhq6w
Posted By: Bawb Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/04/20 12:27 PM
Hi Floyd,

You're one of those people in the world who prove that the music that is "played" by the industry doesn't necessarily reflect those who are the most talented. Only those who are pushed on people to listen to. I can picture your song being played on the "Urban Cowboy" soundtrack just right there alongside of Mickey Gilley...

A great tune that lends well to your country crooning...
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/04/20 01:54 PM
Nice opening!

Good vocal and man, those harmonies! Sitting perfectly in the mix along with your vocal. And of course it is Janice so it goes without saying that the tone is pure perfection.

I also listened to the Nashville demo, sounds awesome! But then so does yours, just different is all; I wouldn't say I like one better than the other.

Very good song, I can see why it was picked up.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/04/20 06:03 PM
Man, that is so country --all the best of what that means-- right from the title. What a well-written song, Floyd. Love the harmony, Janice. This band sounds great, but I'm now off to hear the other one. Hey, all I got is opinions, but I ain't got no bad opinions 'bout you, Floyd. I won't tell ya how much I like either better because... nevermind.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/04/20 07:25 PM
FJ,
Very good (re)write. Yeah, traditional! Excellent vocals by you and Janice. Everything sounds BIG and clear. Fiddle was a nice touch. Mandolin (Andy Leftwich) added whole dimension to this. Radio quality stuff.

I am not going to compare the versions as they are completely different animals, but they both are top notch. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/04/20 07:36 PM
Floyd,
This is my kind of country - a heartache inside a clever turn of phrase,a simple melody that gets you humming along and a relaxed and strong upfront vocal.To those good things you bring Janice for lovely harmonies and great production skills.

Hard to believe your demo singer didn`t have a successful solo career; her vocal is faultless.
I enjoyed both versions and the look into your back pages.

Robert
Posted By: MarioD Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/04/20 08:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Bawb
Hi Floyd,

You're one of those people in the world who prove that the music that is "played" by the industry doesn't necessarily reflect those who are the most talented. Only those who are pushed on people to listen to. I can picture your song being played on the "Urban Cowboy" soundtrack just right there alongside of Mickey Gilley...

ditto!

We have some very talented people on these forums and Floyd and Janice are at the top of them.

This what country music should sound like!
Posted By: PeterF Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/05/20 06:31 AM
floyd

I enjoyed both versions.

I'll just comment on yours, - wonderful vocal and you and Janice sounds superb together as always.
An obviously professional piece of songwriting, great lyric and damn catchy.

Really top notch all the way.

Peter
Posted By: rayc Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/05/20 07:11 AM
Excellent song. The sound of the "demo" is built to siut that female vocal - a little brighter and sparkly maybe.
The recent one is a perfect fit for the voices. The way Janice blends with you is sibling good.
I enjoyed it and, becasue it's more trad country AND western fare I enjoyed the narrative as well.
Could I hear Patsy doing this one? Absolutely.
Posted By: ROG Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/05/20 07:16 AM
Hi Floyd,

The BiaB version immediately took me back about fifty years to when I once played "Dep" bass in
a Jim Reeves cover band for three months, whilst the bass player recovered from a broken arm.
It just had that easy relaxed feel and I could imagine the late, great, Jim singing it.

The other version I liked just as much. It was a lot more "in-yer-face" and the mix was about
twice as loud, but that's only what you'd expect from a radio mix. That Shannon has an amazing
voice and it's a shame she never made the breakthrough.

Both excellent.

ROG.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/05/20 10:51 AM
Hi Floyd,

Well, gee, Bawb... That is really nice of you to say! It is always nice to hear stuff like that.... Thanks!!

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice opening!

Good vocal and man, those harmonies! Sitting perfectly in the mix along with your vocal. And of course it is Janice so it goes without saying that the tone is pure perfection.

I also listened to the Nashville demo, sounds awesome! But then so does yours, just different is all; I wouldn't say I like one better than the other.

Very good song, I can see why it was picked up.

Thanks, Dave. (as always)

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Man, that is so country --all the best of what that means-- right from the title. What a well-written song, Floyd. Love the harmony, Janice. This band sounds great, but I'm now off to hear the other one. Hey, all I got is opinions, but I ain't got no bad opinions 'bout you, Floyd. I won't tell ya how much I like either better because... nevermind.

Thanks, Marty... sometimes you just have to find your way back to where things began... smile
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/05/20 11:10 AM
Yep..... good song. I won't make the comparison but I will say you can certainly tell the studio version from the BB version sound. Both are good, but different.

Looked at the videos from Shannon.... I remember one of those from the old days.

Yep.... the rumor that country is returning to it's roots..... mostly not but on occasion you have artists like Chris Templeton come along that gives rise to the hope that maybe.... just maybe there is some fact to the rumors.

The song itself was squarely in the solid country category. I could easily hear that on a Lori Morgan CD and stage show.... in fact Shannon has a lot of Lori's vocal timbre as well as Martina McBride. The girl can sing. Unfortunately, talent only gets you so far in the industry in recent years.

Yep... I really enjoyed that old blast from the past.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/05/20 07:20 PM
Dave and Marty,

Thank you for mentioning my harmony. It was my pleasure.

Janice
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/05/20 10:47 PM
Hi Floyd.
Very nicely written, with a clever turn of phrase for the chorus. Both versions are great (can't really go wrong with you and Janis collaborating). Checked out those clips of Shannon. That she didn't achieve more commercial success just goes to show how fickle the music biz can be.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/06/20 12:04 AM
This is an outstanding country song. (If it didn't sell in Nashville, that's why - they aren't playing country any more.) Lovely harmonies from both of you and Janice. That title hook line in gold Great job.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/06/20 10:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ,
Very good (re)write. Yeah, traditional! Excellent vocals by you and Janice. Everything sounds BIG and clear. Fiddle was a nice touch. Mandolin (Andy Leftwich) added whole dimension to this. Radio quality stuff.

I am not going to compare the versions as they are completely different animals, but they both are top notch. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Misha - Thanks for the very nice review. Thanks for mentioning Janice's part - she did a great job and fits in perfectly.

Nice that you called out Andy, too. The fiddle RT is his as well. So he was essential to putting this together. He is an extremely talented musician. AND... I played golf with him a number of times - he's good at that, too!!! A real sweetheart of a guy, too... Nice as they come.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/06/20 02:36 PM

Hey Floyd,

This is great man. And SO Country. smile

Really a textbook song on how to write a classic country song. I love it.

Regarding the versions, you know I always love to hear you sing and I love your BIAB arrangements. They are so WARM. Very warm man, and you know I love that warm sound.

The Nashville demo is awesome, but you always ask us a version of the following question:

So, which is better, this butterscotch mint condition '57 Tele, or this gold top mint condition '57 Les Paul?

The question isn't fair and I'm bowing out.

smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/06/20 10:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,
This is my kind of country - a heartache inside a clever turn of phrase,a simple melody that gets you humming along and a relaxed and strong upfront vocal.To those good things you bring Janice for lovely harmonies and great production skills.

Hard to believe your demo singer didn`t have a successful solo career; her vocal is faultless.
I enjoyed both versions and the look into your back pages.

Robert

Robert - Thanks for the nice comments...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/07/20 10:50 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Hi Floyd,

ditto!

We have some very talented people on these forums and Floyd and Janice are at the top of them.

This what country music should sound like!

That is very nice of you to say, Mario. Thanks - from both of us....
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/07/20 09:47 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

I enjoyed both versions.

I'll just comment on yours, - wonderful vocal and you and Janice sounds superb together as always.

Peter

Thanks, Peter... really appreciate that...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/08/20 11:39 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Excellent song. The sound of the "demo" is built to siut that female vocal - a little brighter and sparkly maybe.
The recent one is a perfect fit for the voices. The way Janice blends with you is sibling good.
I enjoyed it and, becasue it's more trad country AND western fare I enjoyed the narrative as well.

Thanks, ray. We've always thought of our singing partnership as a "modern day Donnie and Marie" smile smile smile .... so, Sis and I appreciate that thought!!!
smile smile wink
Posted By: tommyad Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/08/20 05:20 PM
I appreciate both versions. I love the chord changes. Very well written and a fine performance. Of course the harmony works well. The mix and is top shelf worthy. I could listen to the throwback style traditional country songs all night as long as the beer holds out. This is a fine example of what is quickly becoming a lost genre. Tom
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/08/20 06:12 PM
Well I have never heard the song before, so it was good to hear both versions.

There is no comparison to make as we do what we do with what we have available , and what you both done with what you have is...Brilliant and the overall sound was just tops , vocals again tops.

release ready as they say in the industry ...or used to when Music was Music.

Really enjoyed my listen.

Thanks
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/08/20 10:06 PM
Misha and Mario

Thanks for mentioning my small part in a big song!

Janice
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/09/20 12:39 AM
After hearing the studio track, I thought I much preferred that version. Then I went back to the BIAB version and your vocal won me back. You have the most amazing, unique voice that needs to be heard by the world at large. Wish I had the power to make that so. You've got many fans, at least, here in the Showcase, not the least of them being me.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/09/20 08:57 AM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd,

The BiaB version immediately took me back about fifty years to when I once played "Dep" bass in
a Jim Reeves cover band for three months, whilst the bass player recovered from a broken arm.
It just had that easy relaxed feel and I could imagine the late, great, Jim singing it.

The other version I liked just as much. It was a lot more "in-yer-face" and the mix was about
twice as loud, but that's only what you'd expect from a radio mix. That Shannon has an amazing
voice and it's a shame she never made the breakthrough.

Both excellent.

ROG.

ROG - thanks for having a listen...
Posted By: Scott C Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/09/20 11:33 AM
Wow what an incredible tune Floyd. Just a beautiful song. Super vocal and Janice's harmony is so delicate. This song should be on the radio. Well done
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/09/20 11:32 PM
Floyd,

It’s a terrific write, well put together musically as always. I’m writing this not having listened yet to the Nashville version, but what struck me were some unexpected aspects of the melody—notes not quite going where I expected or may have gone with them had I written or sung the song. And overall, after having read the lyric first, the pacing of the song surprised me. None of which detracts—and actually it makes it fresher and stronger in a lot of ways—but not quite what I expected with regards to a “traditional sound”. Going to listen to the Nashville demo now . . .

Listening now . . . and the melody line is more in line with what I would expect . . . though still with some of those unexpected touches. Terrific vocalistic which makes it really hard to compare . . . but as you say that’s not the point.

I think both version stand on their own, in the end. What impresses me most is how well the BIAB software, in the hands of an expert, holds up against a true demo. Amazing!

Great stuff, Floyd! Really fun to listen to the two of them. Enjoyed immensely!

All my best,

Deej
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/10/20 10:42 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

I enjoyed both versions.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

Janice

Originally Posted By: rayc

Thank you Ray. Sibling good is a term we used during mine and Bud’s bluegrass band years. I do appreciate that.

Janice

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Floyd.
Very nicely written, with a clever turn of phrase for the chorus. Both versions are great (can't really go wrong with you and Janis collaborating). Checked out those clips of Shannon. That she didn't achieve more commercial success just goes to show how fickle the music biz can be.
Regards,
Leon

Thank you Leon!

Janice
Posted By: musician17 Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/10/20 01:57 PM
Your usual whole-other-level-kind-of-top-notch thing going on here. I'm off to hear the Nashville version, but the BIAB version is superb ... in no small part due also to those stunning harmonies featuring our very own Mrs Merritt right here :-) You have a back catalogue of songs, from the little I've personally heard, that should rightfully be the envy (in the very best sense of the word) of almost every musician I know. Bravo - and now I'll listen to the other version :-)
Posted By: musician17 Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/10/20 02:01 PM
Oh wow. So vulnerable, the Nashville version ... couldn't think your first version could be equalled, but there you go ... that singing voice is so beautiful, it gives me shivers. You must be so, so blooming proud of this!!! And why not? You'd be darn right about it, too :-) Hats off!!!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/10/20 07:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Yep..... good song. I won't make the comparison but I will say you can certainly tell the studio version from the BB version sound. Both are good, but different.

Looked at the videos from Shannon.... I remember one of those from the old days.

Yep.... the rumor that country is returning to it's roots..... mostly not but on occasion you have artists like Chris Templeton come along that gives rise to the hope that maybe.... just maybe there is some fact to the rumors.

The song itself was squarely in the solid country category. I could easily hear that on a Lori Morgan CD and stage show.... in fact Shannon has a lot of Lori's vocal timbre as well as Martina McBride. The girl can sing. Unfortunately, talent only gets you so far in the industry in recent years.

Yep... I really enjoyed that old blast from the past.

Thanks, Herb.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/11/20 10:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Floyd.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks, Leon. Always nice to have you drop by...
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/11/20 11:01 AM
I don't know why they didn't snatch this up. It is hit material. Clever lyrics and a catchy chorus, both melodically and lyrically.

The lines "but if there are hearts about to be broken/it's your turn this time" really caught my attention.

I like both versions, but although Shannon's vocal is darn good, I prefer the BIAB version for both your vocal and the instrumentation.
Posted By: furry Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/11/20 11:26 AM
Great song Floyd, I can't choose between the version. You've got a great ballad voice and it's really spiced up with the brilliant harmony from Janice
Posted By: dani48 Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/11/20 04:49 PM
Hi, Floyd & Janice !:))

Lost for words I am nowadays
more than usual as the tunes
keep becoming greater by the tune !
I like your super fine duet
and it´s up number one
on my Floydfav billboard !

Stay safe !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/12/20 10:05 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
This is an outstanding country song. (If it didn't sell in Nashville, that's why - they aren't playing country any more.) Lovely harmonies from both of you and Janice. That title hook line in gold Great job.

jpt3 - Nice of you to say... Thanks!

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Hey Floyd,

This is great man. And SO Country. smile

Really a textbook song on how to write a classic country song. I love it.

Regarding the versions, you know I always love to hear you sing and I love your BIAB arrangements. They are so WARM. Very warm man, and you know I love that warm sound.

The Nashville demo is awesome, but you always ask us a version of the following question:

So, which is better, this butterscotch mint condition '57 Tele, or this gold top mint condition '57 Les Paul?

The question isn't fair and I'm bowing out.

smile

smile

Hey! Why don't you ship those 2 guitars to me...and I'll let you know which is better.

smile wink
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/13/20 11:18 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
I appreciate both versions. I love the chord changes. Very well written and a fine performance. Of course the harmony works well. The mix and is top shelf worthy. I could listen to the throwback style traditional country songs all night as long as the beer holds out. This is a fine example of what is quickly becoming a lost genre. Tom

Thanks for all those nice words, Tom. And...order me another while you're at it... smile

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Well I have never heard the song before, so it was good to hear both versions.

There is no comparison to make as we do what we do with what we have available , and what you both done with what you have is...Brilliant and the overall sound was just tops , vocals again tops.

release ready as they say in the industry ...or used to when Music was Music.

Really enjoyed my listen.

Thanks

Thanks!, beatmaster...

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
After hearing the studio track, I thought I much preferred that version. Then I went back to the BIAB version and your vocal won me back. You have the most amazing, unique voice that needs to be heard by the world at large. Wish I had the power to make that so. You've got many fans, at least, here in the Showcase, not the least of them being me.

TM - what a very nice thing to say. Definitely put a smile on my face...
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/13/20 08:17 PM
A masterful song by a true master!!! Really wonderful traditional sound!!, of course aided by the appearance of the queen of the forum!! Just plain damn good songwriting!!! Very, very cool in every way......a class act!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/14/20 11:00 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Wow what an incredible tune Floyd. Just a beautiful song. Super vocal and Janice's harmony is so delicate. This song should be on the radio. Well done

Thanks for the very fine comments, Scott. Janice did a heck of a job...

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Floyd,

It’s a terrific write, well put together musically as always. I’m writing this not having listened yet to the Nashville version, but what struck me were some unexpected aspects of the melody—notes not quite going where I expected or may have gone with them had I written or sung the song. And overall, after having read the lyric first, the pacing of the song surprised me. None of which detracts—and actually it makes it fresher and stronger in a lot of ways—but not quite what I expected with regards to a “traditional sound”. Going to listen to the Nashville demo now . . .

Listening now . . . and the melody line is more in line with what I would expect . . . though still with some of those unexpected touches. Terrific vocalistic which makes it really hard to compare . . . but as you say that’s not the point.

I think both version stand on their own, in the end. What impresses me most is how well the BIAB software, in the hands of an expert, holds up against a true demo. Amazing!

Great stuff, Floyd! Really fun to listen to the two of them. Enjoyed immensely!

All my best,

Deej

Thanks, Deej...

Originally Posted By: musician17
Your usual whole-other-level-kind-of-top-notch thing going on here. I'm off to hear the Nashville version, but the BIAB version is superb ... in no small part due also to those stunning harmonies featuring our very own Mrs Merritt right here :-) You have a back catalogue of songs, from the little I've personally heard, that should rightfully be the envy (in the very best sense of the word) of almost every musician I know. Bravo - and now I'll listen to the other version :-)

Originally Posted By: musician17
Oh wow. So vulnerable, the Nashville version ... couldn't think your first version could be equalled, but there you go ... that singing voice is so beautiful, it gives me shivers. You must be so, so blooming proud of this!!! And why not? You'd be darn right about it, too :-) Hats off!!!

Thanks for the nice comments, James...

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I don't know why they didn't snatch this up. It is hit material. Clever lyrics and a catchy chorus, both melodically and lyrically.

The lines "but if there are hearts about to be broken/it's your turn this time" really caught my attention.

I like both versions, but although Shannon's vocal is darn good, I prefer the BIAB version for both your vocal and the instrumentation.

EZ - That is certainly nice to hear...thanks!

Originally Posted By: furry
Great song Floyd, I can't choose between the version. You've got a great ballad voice and it's really spiced up with the brilliant harmony from Janice

Thanks, Graham...
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/14/20 08:06 PM
Hey Floyd,

Listened to the BIAB version, then the demo. At first listen, it sounded like these were two different songs. They are both top notch. A good song, is a good song even if you play it on a second hand guitar along with a hand clap. You've got to have some solid material to make a song like that demo. Much enjoyed!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/14/20 11:49 PM
Howdy Floyd ...

Been away from the Showcase the past couple of days for the usual reasons. But, man ... what a great way to comeback for some wonderful listenin'! Both are great versions ... not fair to compare as they were done at different times in a different music climate. Both were excellent.

Your BIAB version gave me a Vern Gosdin vibe ... both vocally and musically. And in my book ... it doesn't get much better when you're talking country music. We lost a good one when "The Voice" passed a couple of years back. But this Floyd Jane guy can present a great song about as good as Vern did. And that back-up gal on vocals is pretty darn good, too. As far as I'm concerned, you could have stepped in right behind Vern and kept the true country sound at its best. It would have been a gift to traditional country music.

Shannon reminded me a bit of Janie Fricke. Too bad Shannon's career never got more push.

Thanks for some marvelous listening. I played this style for many, many years and it's near and dear to me. Your music always puts a smile on my country heart. I appreciate that. Thanks!!!

Wishing you the best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/15/20 12:13 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd & Janice !:))

Lost for words I am nowadays
more than usual as the tunes
keep becoming greater by the tune !
I like your super fine duet
and it´s up number one
on my Floydfav billboard !

Stay safe !

Cheers
Dani

smile - Thanks, Dani!!

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
A masterful song by a true master!!! Really wonderful traditional sound!!, of course aided by the appearance of the queen of the forum!! Just plain damn good songwriting!!! Very, very cool in every way......a class act!!! Take care. Greg

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy those comments... smile

And, of course, it is so nice to be able to have Janice helping out...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/16/20 10:55 AM
Originally Posted By: EdZ314
Hey Floyd,

Listened to the BIAB version, then the demo. At first listen, it sounded like these were two different songs. They are both top notch. A good song, is a good song even if you play it on a second hand guitar along with a hand clap. You've got to have some solid material to make a song like that demo. Much enjoyed!

Ed - Thanks for stopping by for a listen...

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Howdy Floyd ...

Been away from the Showcase the past couple of days for the usual reasons. But, man ... what a great way to comeback for some wonderful listenin'! Both are great versions ... not fair to compare as they were done at different times in a different music climate. Both were excellent.

Your BIAB version gave me a Vern Gosdin vibe ... both vocally and musically. And in my book ... it doesn't get much better when you're talking country music. We lost a good one when "The Voice" passed a couple of years back. But this Floyd Jane guy can present a great song about as good as Vern did. And that back-up gal on vocals is pretty darn good, too. As far as I'm concerned, you could have stepped in right behind Vern and kept the true country sound at its best. It would have been a gift to traditional country music.

Shannon reminded me a bit of Janie Fricke. Too bad Shannon's career never got more push.

Thanks for some marvelous listening. I played this style for many, many years and it's near and dear to me. Your music always puts a smile on my country heart. I appreciate that. Thanks!!!

Wishing you the best. Be safe ...

Alan

Alan - Thanks for that wonderful review. Vern was the real deal, so to be mentioned in the same breath is humbling. Janie Fricke - now there's a name I haven't thought of in a very long time!! Hope y'all are doing well...

Janice (and Bud)... THANKS (as always) for being my musical sister!!! (well...not you Bud...not that part.... other stuff...you know....)
This one would not have been the same without you.
smile wink
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/17/20 07:58 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad

I'm with Tommy assessment. Great chord progression, well written, fine performance and FJ/Janice harmonies always work well.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/17/20 09:04 AM
Hi Floyd,

I was away from the forum for some weeks, so I missed your really well performed country song.
When listening to this song, I see myself near a campfire in the dessert, musing about what went wrong.
Hard times so to say! But this 'classic' country song is right up your sleeve (if I use this proverb correctly).

Hans
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Leaving The Leaving Up To You - 05/18/20 05:25 PM
A big thanks to everybody who mentioned my harmony.
Also a big thanks to floyd for inviting me in!

Janice
© PG Music Forums