New song - Segðu mér

Posted by: Ari Baldursson

New song - Segðu mér - 05/13/20 04:30 AM

Song name: Segðu mér
Youtube: https://youtu.be/EXcJztngMuw
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/track/3XNaeRh4keTKFPyN0ieCaw?si=5i3TsAzHTdqrF3vcNxVJsg

DAW: Studio One
Added 2 track. One with Icy piano sound and another with some strings in the chorus.
Master: CloudBounce

****** Band In A Box Song Summary *************
Title: Segðu mér
File:Segðu mér.SGU
Key=F, Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=3:42
4 bar intro, 32 bar chorus, from bar 5 to bar 36. Repeat x3 choruses, tag ending, after bar 36
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _BRITPOP.STY (Classic British Pop)

RealTracks in style: ~683:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 888:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment PopBronx Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1270:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopUpliftSyncMuted Ev16 120
RealTracks in song: ~1033:Guitar, 12-String Electric, Strumming Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1756:Pedal Steel, Rhythm Pop8ths Ev 110
RealTracks in song: 3203:Guitar, Acoustic, Soloist RnBPopBrent Ev 110
RealDrums [in style:NashvilleEven16^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
Lyric: Written in Icelandic. It is about how everything brightens up in the springtime and how important it is to focus on what makes you feel good and keeps you happy. It is never to late to change your opinion to life and move foreward. Those are my thoughts now, when everything seems to be falling apart...
Posted by: ROG

Re: New song - Segðu mér - 05/13/20 04:41 AM

Hi there midlari,

First of all, welcome to the forum
and what a great song to start off with.

Great backing track with an excellent choice of instruments. Loved the solo.
Wonderful vocal and harmonies and a great message for these uncertain times,
even if I couldn't quite understand your native language.

Nicely mixed as well.

Hope to see and hear more of you around here.

ROG.

Posted by: VideoTrack

Re: New song - Segðu mér - 05/13/20 04:43 AM

Some of the best (and poppiest) music we've heard from your part of the world for a while. The orchestration presents a great accompaniment. The pedal steel sits quite nicely.

Yes, it certainly has the ability to brighten any springtime.

Nice write. Well done.

Posted by: floyd jane

Re: New song - Segðu mér - 05/13/20 06:57 AM

Ari,

Well done. Bright and catchy.

Excellent use of BIAB. Good vocal. Good mix.

An enjoyable listen.

Welcome to the Showcase...

fj
Posted by: sixchannel

Re: New song - Segðu mér - 05/14/20 12:14 AM

Very impressive indeed. Catchy tune that my wife found herself humming. 'Earworm'? smile
Any chance of English lyrics?
The singing is great and the BB BT has turned out very well.
Cheers
Ian

Re: New song - Segðu mér - 05/14/20 02:51 AM

Thank you, guys, for your comments.
I would like to tell a little about what I am doing. Making music is my hobby and in this CORONA crises I got a lot of inspiration. Also, after a tough winter you appreciate the springtime a lot.

I use Band in a Box to make backing tracs of cover songs for my One-man-band and demos for my own creations as well. I have had musicians helping me recording some of my songs, but this is the first one I publish where I do everything on my own with help of BIAB.
Right now, I am working on some more songs which came out of this situation. All are born in similar way. I get idea with help of my guitar. Then I move over to BIAB and find appropriate style, chord progression and tempo. I also try out a lot of real tracks that could make sense in my song. All tracks are then converted to wav and dragged into Studio One DAW program to do the final touch. Sometimes I go back to BIAB and make some changes. You can call this a prototyping development. The target is to make a demo for recording later. I have some friends playing with me now to get something done.

The best way I find to make a lyric is to get out jogging with the melody in my head and start puzzling the words. Write it down when I am back home and fine tune. Next time I go out for a jog some new words might pop up. It seems like the theme of the lyric is already there when the melody takes form. For me it is often clear from the very beginning of this process, what the song is about. It might happen the other way around as well.

This song writing is fun and gives me a lot. If someone else like it, it is a bonus.
Have fun,
Ari
Posted by: Rob4580

Re: New song - Segðu mér - 05/14/20 05:37 AM

Yes I agree. Very well done.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Ari,

Well done. Bright and catchy.

Excellent use of BIAB. Good vocal. Good mix.

An enjoyable listen.

Welcome to the Showcase...

fj
Posted by: Scott C

Re: New song - Segðu mér - 05/14/20 09:51 AM

Excellent tune. Super vocal and backtrack and of course Well come to the forum. Look forward to hearing more of your tunes
Posted by: EdZ314

Re: New song - Segðu mér - 05/24/20 10:12 AM

This is an all around great production. Excellent vocals, great mixing, excellent use of BIAB, catchy, engaging. Glad to see a new face and some new sounds at the forum.

If you are interested in feedback, I have a couple questions. If not, then please disregard. I really like the song overall, and it's super easy to listen to, and you're skillset is way beyond anything where I can offer critical advice. With that said, it almost sounded like I was listening to two different songs interspersed with each other. For example, at 1:29, there's sort of a bouncy, swinging thing going with the vocals, then at 1:45 it totally shifts gears into more of a crooning country style that is reminiscent of a track from the movie "Urban Cowboy." The harmonization in that part is really nice. If your intention was to mix these styles together, then that's fine - I was just a bit surprised by the shifts.

Cheers from Chicago!
Posted by: dcuny

Re: New song - Segðu mér - 05/24/20 11:58 AM

Excellent pop. Engaging verse, chorus sounds great.

Nice vocals, good mix. I liked the interplay between the instruments.

I can't speak to the lyrics, obviously, but the feel matches your summary.

Fun! laugh

Re: New song - Segðu mér - 05/25/20 06:12 AM

Hello EdZ314.
Thank you very much for taking your time to listen to my song. I really appreciate your comment and I like the way you analyse it. It was my intention to make the chorus sound more life/happy/forward (I am not sure how to put it in words) than the verses.
I like the result very much. I guess you know how this works. If it sounds good and you feel satisfied, then keep it that way.

Re: New song - Segðu mér - 05/25/20 06:14 AM

Thanks Rob4580

Re: New song - Segðu mér - 05/25/20 06:16 AM

Thank you, Scott.
I will for sure upload some more of my songs for you to enjoy.

Re: New song - Segðu mér - 05/25/20 06:23 AM

Thank you, dcuny.
It would be fun to get someone to write a lyric in English and hear what difference that would make to the mood of the song. Unfortunately, I am not able to write in other languages than Icelandic.
Regards,
Ari
Posted by: Tangmo

Re: New song - Segðu mér - 05/25/20 07:36 AM

The optimism surely shows in the arrangement, melody, and sounds of the band and voice. Just enough minor tonality to contrast, but the overall vibe is definitely up=beat and life-affirming. Very, very nicely done.

on a side note: There are already plenty of songs in English. Use your language as it comes to you on your jogs. Nothing can be perfectly translated, and unless there is an idiom that resonates just by its difference, something is always lost. There is a reason for Icelandic. There is a reason for English. An English version might be a perfectly good song, but it won't be the same song. Just my thoughts earned from living in a household with two languages.