PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Whispered Lies - 05/16/20 03:42 PM
Whispered Lies

A slow, emotion-packed guitar instrumental ballad. Another quick throw-together - two afternoons of work. Maybe 8-10 hours. Just one question: I EQ'd the kick drum to give it more presence in the mix ... did I give it too much? I kind of like it, but it's pretty noticeable. Whatcha think? I also applied some delay to the guitar in order make the sound a little bigger.

The technical stuff:

Title: _MAIZE Demo - Maize Americana Power Bal Solo

File:Whispered Lies.SGU

Key=Em , Tempo 65, Length (m:s)=3:11

Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,

Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,

Style is _MAIZE.STY (Maize Americana Power Bal Solo)

RealTracks in style: 2877:Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
RealTracks in style: 3101:Piano, ElectricVintage, Rhythm AmericanaSlow16thsMike Ev16 060
RealTracks in style: 2879:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AmericanaSparseSlow16thsColin Ev16 060
RealTracks in style: 3438:Guitar, Electric, Soloist BritPsycPopBallad Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 1543:Synth Pad, PopBelieve Ev16 065
RealDrums [in Song:PopRock16ths^01-a:Snare, HiHat, b:Snare, Ride

Take care and be safe, everyone!

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Whispered Lies - 05/16/20 04:02 PM
It ALL sounds good to me, Alan.

MAN! you got a lot out of that RT solo guitar!! Beautifully put together.

A great listen.

fj
Posted By: MarioD Re: Whispered Lies - 05/16/20 06:16 PM
Yes, it all sounds good.

Excellent choice of RTs. You are a master at that!

I really enjoyed this.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Whispered Lies - 05/16/20 07:30 PM
Al,
Another soundscape full of feeling ,nicely paced and finely produced.
On headphones, for my taste, the guitar delay sounds right,the kick presence marginally distracts.

Robert
Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G) Re: Whispered Lies - 05/16/20 11:56 PM
Very nice indeed. There are some great RealTracks on this. I will have to investigate them further.
I liked the kick drum. The production, as usual, is first class.
Hope you and Di are both doing well. Some of the reports we see here in Australia about the US Covid-19 situation seem quite scary.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: musician17 Re: Whispered Lies - 05/17/20 03:50 AM
I, too like the drum. The guitar is sublime. The harmonies are dreamy and so, so beautiful ... a trademark of yours, I think! :-) The key changes are wonderful and add interest and variety!

Most of all, this track just talks to me, even though it's without any lyrics. There's a total feeling that there's a story told here, though we are left guessing as to what exactly it may be. The minor ending was unexpected, for me, but it adds to the storytelling. There's obviously something so interesting going on here backstage, alike a painting where everything is told and yet we are left guessing at exactly what it is the artist was thinking when telling us the story!

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing music with us ... I'm a total and avowed fan.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Whispered Lies - 05/17/20 09:20 AM
Hi Alan,

This is a very nice song! Very sensitive and the leadguitar is so beautiful in it.
Although there is no singing in it, I really enjoyed listening!

Hans
Posted By: Bawb Re: Whispered Lies - 05/17/20 12:37 PM
Wow! This is such a cool, soothing tune!

It's too bad Jeff Healey has passed, I can hear his voice singing words to this in my head...
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/17/20 08:55 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
It ALL sounds good to me, Alan.

MAN! you got a lot out of that RT solo guitar!! Beautifully put together.

A great listen.

fj

Hi Floyd ...

Many thanks! Glad ya liked it! I appreciate the listen and really nice comments. best to you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/17/20 08:57 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Yes, it all sounds good.

Excellent choice of RTs. You are a master at that!

I really enjoyed this.

Hey Mario ...

I appreciate all that. You are much too kind ... but I'll figure out a way to deal with it. Thanks again!

Oh ... the only thing I'm a master at is saying, "Yes, Ma'am" to Di. And, "I'll get right on it!"

Best to you. Please be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/17/20 08:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Al,
Another soundscape full of feeling ,nicely paced and finely produced.
On headphones, for my taste, the guitar delay sounds right,the kick presence marginally distracts.

Robert

Ho Robert ...

Thanks for listening and the kind comments. I did mix that kick a little aggressively. But for me, it seemed to work ... gave a really slow tune some drive. But, I'm sure there are others who will find the kick a little too much for them. So dlad you enjoyed everything else about the song. Thanks for letting me know.

Wishing you everything good. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/17/20 09:02 PM
Originally Posted By: mkg50 (Mike G)
Very nice indeed. There are some great RealTracks on this. I will have to investigate them further.
I liked the kick drum. The production, as usual, is first class.
Hope you and Di are both doing well. Some of the reports we see here in Australia about the US Covid-19 situation seem quite scary.
Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike ...

Thanks so much for stopping in for a listen. Glad you liked it!!! Di has had some real struggles lately, but we're working on it ... thanks for asking.

And yeah, my personal opinion is we don't have the strong leadership we need at the top of our government needed yo deal with such an overwhelming situation. Di tested negative for the virus ... that was great news.

Wishing you the very best. Take care and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/17/20 09:05 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
I, too like the drum. The guitar is sublime. The harmonies are dreamy and so, so beautiful ... a trademark of yours, I think! :-) The key changes are wonderful and add interest and variety!

Most of all, this track just talks to me, even though it's without any lyrics. There's a total feeling that there's a story told here, though we are left guessing as to what exactly it may be. The minor ending was unexpected, for me, but it adds to the storytelling. There's obviously something so interesting going on here backstage, alike a painting where everything is told and yet we are left guessing at exactly what it is the artist was thinking when telling us the story!

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing music with us ... I'm a total and avowed fan.

Hello James ...

It's always a pleasure to hear from you. When an instrumental "talks" to the listener, that's about as nice a compliment as could be hoped for. I think I put a lot of passion and emotion into the overall sound. I "previewed" quite a few backing tracks before settling on these. I'm happy with how it turned out.

And thank you for your continual and much-appreciated encouragement and support.

Wishing you the best over across the big pond. Be safe, my friend ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/17/20 09:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Alan,

This is a very nice song! Very sensitive and the leadguitar is so beautiful in it.
Although there is no singing in it, I really enjoyed listening!

Hans

Hello Hans ...

Thank you so much for all those very kind words! It can be difficult to get an instrumental to "talk" to the listener, as I mentioned to James. I'm delighted this one works for you. I appreciate you letting me know. Hope all is well in the Netherlands. be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/17/20 09:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Bawb
Wow! This is such a cool, soothing tune!

It's too bad Jeff Healey has passed, I can hear his voice singing words to this in my head...

Good Evening, Bawb ...

Thank you so much for taking a little time to hear my music. I appreciate that very much. I like that Jeff Healey reference. Too bad he passed so young ... just 41 yrs old. And from such a rare form of cancer. It left him blind by his first birthday. But you probably knew all that already.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your listen. Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Whispered Lies - 05/17/20 09:51 PM
Al,
love your arrangements and sound! Absolutely gorgeous. I was working on a tune and decided to take a break and listen to your Whispered Lies. I try not to listen to tunes when I am in the process, but I knew that the most damage you can do to me is inspire smile And I thought... That's how a good tune must sound! I had to go back and re-mix my tune 3 times!
Still, not anywhere near your skills, but that was a pleasant and very educational break. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Whispered Lies - 05/18/20 02:29 PM
Anybody that doubts the power of BiaB in talented hands
needs to listen to your compositions.

This is a masterful use of RT and capped off with a nice mix.

And one of the better solo RT's we've heard in a while.

You nailed the advertised feel. Very cinematic.

Kudos,

J&B
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Whispered Lies - 05/18/20 11:33 PM
Nice track. Good arrangement.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/19/20 03:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Al,
love your arrangements and sound! Absolutely gorgeous. I was working on a tune and decided to take a break and listen to your Whispered Lies. I try not to listen to tunes when I am in the process, but I knew that the most damage you can do to me is inspire smile And I thought... That's how a good tune must sound! I had to go back and re-mix my tune 3 times!
Still, not anywhere near your skills, but that was a pleasant and very educational break. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Hi Misha ...

I very much appreciate your very kind comments. It's always so nice to hear such encouraging words from a great songwriter/composer. If this inspired you in any way, that makes me very happy. Your music is always so good ... some of the best on the forums.

Again, thank you. And good luck with your song.

Best to you and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/19/20 03:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Anybody that doubts the power of BiaB in talented hands
needs to listen to your compositions.

This is a masterful use of RT and capped off with a nice mix.

And one of the better solo RT's we've heard in a while.

You nailed the advertised feel. Very cinematic.

Kudos,

J&B

Now, aren't you two the best??!! That's so very nice of you to say. Thank you so much. The two of you are right at the top of the most respected contributors on this forum ... your opinions and comments carry a lot of weight/ Again, thanks so much! best to you abd be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/19/20 03:28 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Nice track. Good arrangement.

Thank you very much. I appreciate your very niuce comments. Best to you and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Whispered Lies - 05/19/20 07:38 AM
Yeah, I like this! Kick sounds perfect to me, as does that RT guitar solo. Love the delay on it! Entire mix sounds good.

Good one, Alan, enjoyed.
Posted By: rayc Re: Whispered Lies - 05/19/20 08:59 AM
A lovely sounding piece, nice progression and arrangement - well mixed too bot.
The kick is present but is clicky - it seems an issue with most BIAB RealDrums of late. It can be EQ'd to suit the tone of the song far better with a narrow but deep notch at the offending frequency. That won't have much impact on the presence you desire.
Lovely song!better
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/20/20 04:27 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Yeah, I like this! Kick sounds perfect to me, as does that RT guitar solo. Love the delay on it! Entire mix sounds good.

Good one, Alan, enjoyed.

Hi Dave ,,,

Thanks so much. I truly appreciate your very nice comments ... on this songs and all the others. Makes an old heart feel pretty good! wishing you the best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/20/20 04:30 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
A lovely sounding piece, nice progression and arrangement - well mixed too bot.
The kick is present but is clicky - it seems an issue with most BIAB RealDrums of late. It can be EQ'd to suit the tone of the song far better with a narrow but deep notch at the offending frequency. That won't have much impact on the presence you desire.
Lovely song!better

Hello Ray ...

Thanks for the listen and the feedback. I appreciate both. As far as the click on the kick drum ... these 73 year-old ears has trouble hearing it. I don't doubt it's there ... it just escapes me. But the feedback is always appreciated and gives me something to think about.

I delighted the song sounds okay otherwise. Thanks for your time to listen and comment. Best to you as well. be safe ...

ALan
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Whispered Lies - 05/21/20 12:31 PM
Well, this tune is filed with emotion. When it makes me close my eyes and press them together between the crows feet as my cheeks bring up a passionate grimace of emotion from my smile, I gotta admit you have a hit, my friend. Stay well.
Posted By: furry Re: Whispered Lies - 05/21/20 01:51 PM
Alan, this is fabulous, stunning melody and perfect choice of backing
Posted By: Scott C Re: Whispered Lies - 05/22/20 03:51 PM
Wow Alan what a cool song. Guitar and tone were very very cool. Such a nice feel to the song. That's a home run when the song just doesn't sound good but you can feel it go right through you. Well done.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Whispered Lies - 05/23/20 01:12 AM
Sounds great, drum was cool IMHO, a fine listen overall!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/24/20 03:45 AM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Well, this tune is filed with emotion. When it makes me close my eyes and press them together between the crows feet as my cheeks bring up a passionate grimace of emotion from my smile, I gotta admit you have a hit, my friend. Stay well.

Thanks so much, Marty. I'm delighted it made you smile! Loved the "crows feet" comment"! I'm 73 and have a few, myself! best to you. Please be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/24/20 03:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Wow Alan what a cool song. Guitar and tone were very very cool. Such a nice feel to the song. That's a home run when the song just doesn't sound good but you can feel it go right through you. Well done.

Scott ...

You are very kind with your comments. I do appreciate them very much. The "feel it go right through you" comment made my day ... thank you so much!

Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/24/20 03:48 AM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Sounds great, drum was cool IMHO, a fine listen overall!

Hello TM ...

And a very fine review ... which pleased me very much. Thank you! Wishing you well. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: Whispered Lies - 05/24/20 01:59 PM
Masterful work with BIAB - your talent and passion for music take front stage, and the fact that you can create a production like this with BIAB and a few extras to tweak it speaks volumes to the power of the product. That singing guitar is still going through my head even after the track ended - powerful!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Whispered Lies - 05/24/20 04:02 PM
Another vote in the "sounds good to me" category! smile
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Whispered Lies - 05/25/20 11:58 AM
Man, oh man. Made me hang my head. Powerful progression and backing. The lead sings. Don't ask me about mixes. Ask me if this gave me feels. Oh yes.
Posted By: Ronnie Fields Re: Whispered Lies - 05/25/20 12:37 PM
This is so professionally done, it sounds like a movie soundtrack. Great Job!!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Whispered Lies - 05/26/20 08:37 PM
fantastic groove Alan!!! You have a way of finding those!!! Love it!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/26/20 11:09 PM
Originally Posted By: EdZ314
Masterful work with BIAB - your talent and passion for music take front stage, and the fact that you can create a production like this with BIAB and a few extras to tweak it speaks volumes to the power of the product. That singing guitar is still going through my head even after the track ended - powerful!

Hi Ed ...

Thank you so much for the very nice comments! I do appreciate them very much. the only thing I used besides BIAB is Audacity. I just do **A LOT** of editing in BIAB. Again, thank you. Best to you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/26/20 11:10 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Another vote in the "sounds good to me" category! smile

Hi David ...

Your "Sounds Good To Me" sounds goo to me! Thank you very much ... much appreciated. best to you., Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/26/20 11:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Man, oh man. Made me hang my head. Powerful progression and backing. The lead sings. Don't ask me about mixes. Ask me if this gave me feels. Oh yes.

Tangmo ...

Good evening. And thank you so much for those really nice comments. Such kind words are very heart-warming. Again, many thanks! best to you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/26/20 11:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Ronnie Fields
This is so professionally done, it sounds like a movie soundtrack. Great Job!!

Hello Ronnie ...

That is so kind of you to say. I appreciate it more than you know. Wishing you the very best . Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/26/20 11:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
fantastic groove Alan!!! You have a way of finding those!!! Love it!! Take care. Greg

Greg ...

As always, you are much too kind. But your truly nice comments mean a lot. You put a smile on my heart and in my soul with your words. As far as finding a groove ... that's where it all starts. I try to set a groove with the bass and drums and then expand on it from there with mutually complimenting backing tracks. Sometimes it works!

Wishing you & yours the very best. Please be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Belladonna Re: Whispered Lies - 05/26/20 11:24 PM
Impressive for such quick work!! Very soulful and wonderful.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/26/20 11:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Impressive for such quick work!! Very soulful and wonderful.

Thank you very much, Donna! I appreciate your time to listen and to comment so nicely! Wishing you the best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Whispered Lies - 05/27/20 02:55 AM
That guitar solo sounds very Gary Moore-ish. Great track. Well done.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/27/20 01:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
That guitar solo sounds very Gary Moore-ish. Great track. Well done.

Hello GhostGum ...

Gary Moore is my favorite Blues guitarist, so that reference certainly put a smile on my face! I'm delighted you enjoyed it. Thanks so much for letting me know!

Wishing you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Whispered Lies - 05/28/20 03:00 PM
Totally enjoyed this. What a fat tone on the guitar.
Nice solid mix too.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Whispered Lies - 05/28/20 05:48 PM
As Bawb said--very soothing... and a enjoyable listen.

Arrangement, instrumentation, mix: all par excellence.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Whispered Lies - 05/29/20 06:50 PM
Al,

I generally shy away from instrumentals—just not quite my musical thing . . . but every once In a while I come across one on the BIAB forum that’s too compelling to not listen to. Like this one. It’s slick and engaging—-and that lead guitar just sizzles all song long.; nice use of delay there. For me, the drum is maybe a tad—and just a tad— too much, but you should weigh more the feedback from the production experts on the board on that aspect.

Great job on this!!

All my best,

Deej
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/30/20 08:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Totally enjoyed this. What a fat tone on the guitar.
Nice solid mix too.

Thanks so much, Herb. And yes, I was very pleased with how the lead guitar came out. Thanks for mention ing that in particular. Appreciate the listen and nice comments!

Best to you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/30/20 08:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
As Bawb said--very soothing... and a enjoyable listen.

Arrangement, instrumentation, mix: all par excellence.

Good Morning EZ ...

So nice to hear you agree with Bawb. Thanks for letting me know ... much appreciated. Best to you. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whispered Lies - 05/30/20 08:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Al,

I generally shy away from instrumentals—just not quite my musical thing . . . but every once In a while I come across one on the BIAB forum that’s too compelling to not listen to. Like this one. It’s slick and engaging—-and that lead guitar just sizzles all song long.; nice use of delay there. For me, the drum is maybe a tad—and just a tad— too much, but you should weigh more the feedback from the production experts on the board on that aspect.

Great job on this!!

All my best,

Deej

Hello Deej ...

Thanks so much for giving this a a test drive! I'm totally delighted it was worth your time. Thanks for the input and the very nice comments.

Wishing you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan
© PG Music Forums