For You

The Band:

2692:Organ, Rhythm ModernPopSlowMike Ev 075
1002:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm ClassicRockA-B Ev16 065
803:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm DrivingCountryBalladClean Ev 065

Bass Guitar: Marty Straub, aka BabuMusic
Drums: EZDrummer2

I'm playing the lead guitar.

Mixed with Reaper, mastered with Ozone9, all details available on request.

For you (2020, Christiane Spruit)

Without a warning
when skies come down on you
nothing you can hold on to
and nothing what you can do
Trying to live my life without you
Longing
everything that I do ,whatever I will turn
Half of my heart, your part
fallen and torn apart from you
I do
I will try to hold on , for you
at the end of a day
I am learning to stay
out of the rain
don't want to hear it
that tomorrow is another day
and life will move on that way
But at the end of a day
Longing
whatever I do, whatever I will turn to
Longing
Longing
trying to live my life
I have to learn
to stay out of the rain

Also have a video:

Also up on soundcloud (audio not as good): For You

All comments welcome!

Posted By: Birchwood Re: For You - 05/19/20 10:19 AM
Hi Dave, Chris and Marty,

What a good song you made (again)!
I enjoyed listening to it. There is a nice tension in the singing in this melody. Very good!
And I must underline what beautiful that leadguitar played! Only compliments for this composition!
Tell Marty he is playing in very good company!

There is only something, just after the organ played in the beginning. It felt the volume was turned down and clarity was getting mat or flat (all just a bit, but still). I listened some times several times to the song (not only because enjoying it) to make sure I won't write rubbish here. I had a similair experience in Ozone9 when I tweaked too much. But if I am wrong and my ears tricked me, you come over and tell me I'm completely wrong. The lockdown will soon be over, so for you that's easy done now...

Hans
Posted By: floyd jane Re: For You - 05/19/20 11:53 AM
BA

Bad [*****].

Begs Attention.

Best Around.

Blue Attitude!!!

Sweet opening guitar. Gorgeous tone, melodic.

Chris' vocal comes it at JUST the right level. Loud and Proud. Beautiful.

Great choice for the acoustic. And really nicely EQ'd!!! (so often overlooked)

And, once again, whatever it is you do to your organ track...makes it shine...

And, Man! Marty's bass is laid in there PERFECTLY. Both the playing and the mixing.

Killer solo. So musical. Pro.

Chris seems to be "out-doing herself" at every turn. The writing just keeps getting better and better. This is awesome Rock writing. Her vocals - and harmonies - are reaching amazing heights. Real Wow factor.

Top-shelf mix.

Y'all are killin' it.

Blue.

Attitude.

fj
Posted By: Robertkc Re: For You - 05/19/20 12:30 PM
Blue Attitude,
Wonderfully restrained smoldering intro - had to listen again to hear how sweet the moment is when Chris` vocals come in... and on the guitar solo I could really hear what Marty brings to the band.
A very subtle build here that`s a lesson in dynamics; powerful doesn`t have to be over the top loud or dramatic.
Awesome rock music.

Robert
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: For You - 05/19/20 11:29 PM
BlueAttitude
Excellent team work!!! WOW! Such a powerful tune in such short time. Scary good. No shortcomings, everything and everyone sound amazing & BIG! Production is sweet. Dave, super catchy guitar solo. Congrats to you all! Enjoyed it a lot, and thank you for being here.

Misha.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: For You - 05/20/20 02:30 AM
Another high quality production from the BA team. Superb work all round. (Really enjoying Chris' harmonies on the last couple of tracks.)
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Al-David Re: For You - 05/20/20 04:37 AM
The three of you deliver the goods every time. Chris' voice just shines on everything she does. love listening to her! Great lyric!

Dave, you have such a "feel" for your guitar. Your work always make me say, "Damn ... wish I could play like that!"

And Marty plays such a sweet bass. He's always spot on.

That was a terrific listen. Loved the opening ... so cool. I always look forward to your new releases ... such a pleasure to listen to. Wishing all of you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: For You - 05/20/20 05:53 PM
Great write. We liked in particular:

"Half of my heart, your part
fallen and torn apart from you"

Great guitar. We liked in particular:

All of it.

Great Vocal. We liked in particular:

Every note.

Killer drums and organ and whoever that bass guy is smile nailed it.

And the B&W images in the video worked excellently.

Throw in the "Dave mix" and y'all have another great pro level production.

Y'all's consistency in creating outstanding productions is quite remarkable!

J&B

Posted By: Tangmo Re: For You - 05/20/20 07:09 PM
Ooh. Ooh. Brilliant break before the solo. Worth the price of admission. Wonderful opening too. Chris sounds more and more like Stevie to me. Marty hits all the right licks and notes to move this forward. The BIAB organ is wonderfully coherent. That doesn't always happen automatically with keys. The solo, though, is what lifts this up over the horizon. Really enjoyed this head-hanger.
Posted By: Scott C Re: For You - 05/20/20 07:37 PM
Very cool intro Dave. Loved this song. Chris's vocal was awesome. Boy does Marty leave a nice touch on the song. Some very cool runs. Your guitar was perfect for the song. Very creative solo. Well done
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: For You - 05/20/20 07:48 PM
Hi guys. Very well done on this.
Love the emotion that the vocal evokes.
This could easily be playing on the radio.
Well done on the production.
The lead guitar work is also a stand out.
Regards Rob4580
Posted By: PeterF Re: For You - 05/20/20 08:11 PM
Blue Attitude,

Nailed it! Some excellent reviews I like floyd's, and some stunning playing, singing and writing.

A superior production and overall a truly excellent song.
(As you know I'm a sucker for a good guitar solo and that was a good one!)

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: For You - 05/21/20 07:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood

I enjoyed listening to it. There is a nice tension in the singing in this melody. Very good!
And I must underline what beautiful that leadguitar played! Only compliments for this composition!

There is only something, just after the organ played in the beginning. It felt the volume was turned down and clarity was getting mat or flat (all just a bit, but still). I listened some times several times to the song (not only because enjoying it) to make sure I won't write rubbish here. I had a similair experience in Ozone9 when I tweaked too much. But if I am wrong and my ears tricked me, you come over and tell me I'm completely wrong. The lockdown will soon be over, so for you that's easy done now...

Hans

Hi Hans,

B3 sounds good to me, Hans, but we are all entitled to our own opinion smile

Yeah, it would be great to go to Holland again! I told you before that we both love your country. And we will go there again someday, no question.

When that happens I'll look you up and buy you a beer or two wink
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: For You - 05/21/20 05:32 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
BA

Bad [*****].

Begs Attention.

Best Around.

Blue Attitude!!!

And, Man! Marty's bass is laid in there PERFECTLY. Both the playing and the mixing.

Chris seems to be "out-doing herself" at every turn. The writing just keeps getting better and better. This is awesome Rock writing. Her vocals - and harmonies - are reaching amazing heights. Real Wow factor.

Top-shelf mix.

Y'all are killin' it.

Blue.

Attitude.

fj

Man, you write the best reviews! Chris always enjoys them too smile

For the B3 I use the Scheps Omni-Channel plugin from waves. I bought it a while ago on sale for $29. The only thing I use it for is B3 tracks actually, but for that alone it’s worth the $29 IMHO, it really brings them to life.

Thanks as always, floyd, we appreciate the support you have given us over the years smile
Posted By: tommyad Re: For You - 05/21/20 05:56 PM
Dave, Chris, Marty, this is really really good. The opening guitar with the unusual note choices captures the listener’s attention. The bass adds a lot and the vocals keep getting better and better. I love everything about it and it no doubt is one of your best. You three are on a big time roll, Tom
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: For You - 05/21/20 11:35 PM
Great job everyone. Outstanding vocals. Real emotion. Excellent electric guitar. You can't beat the sound of an electric guitar played with a blue attitude like that [pun sort of intended as the name fits your playing perfectly].
Posted By: ROG Re: For You - 05/22/20 06:58 AM
Hi Dave,

Another fabulous song from the team.

The Hammond RT is just amazing - what a good sound for this track.

Wonderful guitar work - very soulful and expressive. Super bass from Marty.

Chris seems to be able to change her voice to suit each song, just like
professional session singers do. Last time I said she sounded like Grace Slick and
this time she sounds exactly like Christine McVie, or Christine Perfect as we used to
know her in the days of Chicken Shack.

Excellent all round.

Cheers,
ROG.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: For You - 05/22/20 05:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Blue Attitude,
Wonderfully restrained smoldering intro - had to listen again to hear how sweet the moment is when Chris` vocals come in... and on the guitar solo I could really hear what Marty brings to the band.
A very subtle build here that`s a lesson in dynamics; powerful doesn`t have to be over the top loud or dramatic.
Awesome rock music.

Robert

Hi Robert,

For me the main thing Marty brings to the table is he plays song specific bass lines and reacts to what the vocal and guitar is doing. The mark of a true pro, which he is.

And yes, dynamics are all important, thanks for noticing and commenting!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: For You - 05/22/20 06:03 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Originally Posted By: Birchwood

Hans

Hi Hans,

B3 sounds good to me, Hans, but we are all entitled to our own opinion smile

Yeah, it would be great to go to Holland again! I told you before that we both love your country. And we will go there again someday, no question.

When that happens I'll look you up and buy you a beer or two wink

Hi Dave, I have said it wrong. I didn't mean the B3, but the other instruments. To me it seemed they lost a little volume just after the intro of the B3. But I read no one else noticed it, so it had to be one of my computers, or maybe, just maybe my ears...
I'm very happy to hear you will explain all to me in my homeland AND offer me some beers. can you adjust that to red wine? I don't drink beer. And if you come and you like history, than you have to visit Haarlem instead of Amsterdam. I show you around.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: For You - 05/23/20 12:25 AM
I always think about what I can tell somebody to get to the next level but you guys are already performing at such a high level. Don't know what to tell you except keep doing things the way you've been doing them. Great work here as always.
Posted By: rayc Re: For You - 05/23/20 02:00 AM
VERY cool - bass is in the pocket, guitars are ace, the vocals are SWEEET.
As you're using EZDrummer I'd suggest swapping kick samples or EQing the one you have to take a little more click away.
Lovely lead tone - as always.
Excellent band.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: For You - 05/24/20 06:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
BlueAttitude
Excellent team work!!! WOW! Such a powerful tune in such short time. Scary good. No shortcomings, everything and everyone sound amazing & BIG! Production is sweet. Dave, super catchy guitar solo. Congrats to you all! Enjoyed it a lot, and thank you for being here.

Misha.

Thank you, Misha! smile

Originally Posted By: Leon1
Another high quality production from the BA team. Superb work all round. (Really enjoying Chris' harmonies on the last couple of tracks.)
Regards,
Leon

Thanks for stopping by, Leon!

Originally Posted By: Al-David
The three of you deliver the goods every time. Chris' voice just shines on everything she does. love listening to her! Great lyric!

Dave, you have such a "feel" for your guitar. Your work always make me say, "Damn ... wish I could play like that!"

And Marty plays such a sweet bass. He's always spot on.

That was a terrific listen. Loved the opening ... so cool. I always look forward to your new releases ... such a pleasure to listen to. Wishing all of you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan

For me guitar has always been about "feel". The guys I like the most, mainly the old blues guys, didn't have much in the way of technique, but they knew how to make each note count.

Thanks, Alan, I appreciate it smile
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: For You - 05/24/20 08:49 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
BA

Bad [*****].

Begs Attention.

Best Around.

Blue Attitude!!!

Top-shelf mix.

Y'all are killin' it.

Blue.

Attitude.

fj

YEP!!!! Floyd said it all so well. A complete CLASS A production all the way!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: For You - 05/24/20 09:32 PM
Your guitar licks are always organic to the song. I especially like the introduction.

The mood of the music fits the mood of the lyrics.

I had to listen to this more than once!
Posted By: Chris Dent Re: For You - 05/25/20 04:33 AM
Love it!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: For You - 05/25/20 03:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Great write. We liked in particular:

"Half of my heart, your part
fallen and torn apart from you"

Great guitar. We liked in particular:

All of it.

Great Vocal. We liked in particular:

Every note.

Killer drums and organ and whoever that bass guy is smile nailed it.

And the B&W images in the video worked excellently.

Throw in the "Dave mix" and y'all have another great pro level production.

Y'all's consistency in creating outstanding productions is quite remarkable!

J&B

Thanks so much guys, awesome comments! smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: For You - 05/26/20 08:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Ooh. Ooh. Brilliant break before the solo. Worth the price of admission. Wonderful opening too. Chris sounds more and more like Stevie to me. Marty hits all the right licks and notes to move this forward. The BIAB organ is wonderfully coherent. That doesn't always happen automatically with keys. The solo, though, is what lifts this up over the horizon. Really enjoyed this head-hanger.

Thanks, Tangmo! That particular B3 realtrack is a good one, I've used it before.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool intro Dave. Loved this song. Chris's vocal was awesome. Boy does Marty leave a nice touch on the song. Some very cool runs. Your guitar was perfect for the song. Very creative solo. Well done

Yes, Marty is the real deal for sure. Thanks, Scott! I see you have a new one up, I'll be along shortly to give it a spin.

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Hi guys. Very well done on this.
Love the emotion that the vocal evokes.
This could easily be playing on the radio.
Well done on the production.
The lead guitar work is also a stand out.
Regards Rob4580

Appreciate that, Rob, thanks!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: For You - 05/27/20 06:27 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Blue Attitude,

Nailed it! Some excellent reviews I like floyd's, and some stunning playing, singing and writing.

A superior production and overall a truly excellent song.
(As you know I'm a sucker for a good guitar solo and that was a good one!)

Peter

Always great to read comments like that from a fellow guitarist, thanks, Peter! wink

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Dave, Chris, Marty, this is really really good. The opening guitar with the unusual note choices captures the listener’s attention. The bass adds a lot and the vocals keep getting better and better. I love everything about it and it no doubt is one of your best. You three are on a big time roll, Tom

Thanks so much, Tom!

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Great job everyone. Outstanding vocals. Real emotion. Excellent electric guitar. You can't beat the sound of an electric guitar played with a blue attitude like that [pun sort of intended as the name fits your playing perfectly].

Thanks jpt*3!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: For You - 05/28/20 08:24 AM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Dave,

Another fabulous song from the team.

The Hammond RT is just amazing - what a good sound for this track.

Wonderful guitar work - very soulful and expressive. Super bass from Marty.

Chris seems to be able to change her voice to suit each song, just like
professional session singers do. Last time I said she sounded like Grace Slick and
this time she sounds exactly like Christine McVie, or Christine Perfect as we used to
know her in the days of Chicken Shack.

Excellent all round.

Cheers,
ROG.

Thanks very much, ROG!

Agree about the vocal, she reminds me of Christine McVie on this one also. Chicken Shack was a pretty good band back in the day!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I always think about what I can tell somebody to get to the next level but you guys are already performing at such a high level. Don't know what to tell you except keep doing things the way you've been doing them. Great work here as always.

Thanks for the support, very much appreciated smile

Originally Posted By: rayc
VERY cool - bass is in the pocket, guitars are ace, the vocals are SWEEET.
As you're using EZDrummer I'd suggest swapping kick samples or EQing the one you have to take a little more click away.
Lovely lead tone - as always.
Excellent band.

Thanks, Ray!
I do pay special attention to the "click" at around 3K ever since you mentioned it to me a while back, even though I can't hear it myself unless I solo the kick and room into that region. And usually add a 6db cut there. Might have forgot on this one, I've made a note in my project file to check it when it's time to remix, thanks for pointing it out smile
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: For You - 05/28/20 10:40 AM
Man ... What can I say that hasn't been said.

Nice guitar tone. Marty is quite the bass player too.

Yes.... Everything about this is excellent.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: For You - 05/29/20 06:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

YEP!!!! Floyd said it all so well. A complete CLASS A production all the way!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg!

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Your guitar licks are always organic to the song. I especially like the introduction.

The mood of the music fits the mood of the lyrics.

I had to listen to this more than once!

Listening more than once is the ultimate compliment, thanks!

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Man ... What can I say that hasn't been said.

Nice guitar tone. Marty is quite the bass player too.

Yes.... Everything about this is excellent.

Very nice of you to say so, Herb! Man, your latest pretty much blew me away.
© PG Music Forums