PG Music Home
Posted By: Greg Johnson NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/19/20 08:40 PM
Hello fellow songwriters and shelterers in place. We remain in a tricky world. Hope all of you are well and not going too crazy.......not sure I can say the same for the latter! One day, I saw my daughter (who is quite artistic....that gene went right through me) painting in watercolors. She is an enthusiastic, dreamy, and whimsical kid. I immediately was hit with the line "She sees the world in watercolors" and kind of fell in love with that concept. With a little help from my band (okay, our band) I put together this song. My producer/promoter put together a video which I like quite a bit. I generally have mixed feelings about videos, but I feel this one enhances the experience of the song. I have both versions available. Hope you enjoy! Take care all.

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/watercolorsspotfinal

video link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkFA1-Ag9H4

WATERCOLORS

She sees the morning fog
The sun, it starts to break on through
People walking dogs
Underneath the morning blue skies
Fisherman head home
She sips her tea and greets the day alone

Of this life she never tires
The ocean's ever changing moods
Summer sun and Winter fires
The motion that this life exudes
She feels it all around
Content within the world that she has found

She sees the world in water colors
Pastel blues and greens
The golden sun shines down upon her dreams
And she feels life, fragile and free
From her home above the sea

Many man have tried
To capture all her fragile beauty
Every one denied
It's there for every man to see
But no one's meant to hold
The magic colors of her love untold

She sees the world in water colors...
Posted By: Al-David Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/19/20 09:19 PM
Hi Greg ...

Talk about the "wow factor" in a musical production. This has it! The delicate warmth of this just wraps itself around the listener and instills a sense of innocence. I'm stunned by its beauty. I've said it many times; but I make no apology for being redundant: A song couldn't have a better friend than you. You're a true master of your craft.

Wishing you and yours everything good. Be safe ...

Alan

PS: Di says: Hi! And what a gorgeous song."
Posted By: Chris Dent Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/19/20 09:54 PM
Brilliant. Love it.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/20/20 01:49 AM
Greg,

The chord progression is wonderful.
The melody is very beautiful.
The vocals are sweet and comfortable.
The Latin rhythm fits this perfectly.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: musician17 Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/20/20 02:00 AM
Wow, Greg ... you have outdone even yourself. The song is right up there with your best, a beautiful, haunting, mesmerising portrait ... and the video enhances the audio experience ... a veritable kaleidoscope of colours. I doff my hat to you, sir ... very, very well done.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/20/20 02:36 AM
Hi Greg
Shigeki's comment perfectly sums up my reaction. Lovely work.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: tommyad Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/20/20 09:46 AM
Greg, this is a wonderfully written and performed song. The main line is worth the price of admission alone. Way to go finding the perfect real tracks to convey the message. The background vocals are really great as well as your usual stellar lead vocal. Well done! Tom
Posted By: Scott C Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/20/20 07:30 PM
Awesome tune Greg. Loved the way you mixed this one. Sounded incredible on my monitors. Super vocal and lyric.
Posted By: PeterF Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/20/20 08:26 PM
Greg

Loved the song, production and vocal all wonderfully done. I watched the video - very evocative and professional. Any idea what software they used?

Wonderful work as always.

Peter
Posted By: rayc Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/21/20 02:54 AM
Lovely narrative, melody, arrangement and vocal performance - though I really think a little de-essing would make the intimate vocal more effective.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/21/20 06:43 AM
Just beautiful!

Lovely track, great writing, and the vocal is sublime.

Nice job on the video also, enjoyed!
Posted By: edshaw Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/21/20 03:42 PM
Fabulous, Greg. And those pictures! Good night!
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/21/20 04:51 PM
This is a gorgeous production Greg. The composition is lyrical and engaging. The performances are excellent, and the vocals are smoothly engaging. The mixing and effects are the icing on the cake. One of your best!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/21/20 11:09 PM
Greg,
A very nice, tranquil composition. Performance is full of soul. Too many positive things to list. Do not want to piece it out, sounds amazing as a whole smile

P.S. Small critique. Video was put together professionally, but I would try to adhere to one/two styles of art. It is a bit busy with variation (subjects) to my taste.

Enjoyed my listen very much! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/21/20 11:24 PM
Yes, it passed my "wow" test too. An instant easy listening classic. Burt Bacharach would be proud to call this one of his own.

p.s. I have a song in development that may see the light some day and it uses the words "golden sun" in it, so don't think I stole your line. smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/22/20 05:17 PM
Greg,

Such a beautiful song. Another beautiful melody. And a lyric to match it. Like honey. Sweet! You are a master.

Awesome BAND. The sax is nice. Good mix.

Beautiful vocal - as always.

A song worth listening to over and over and over.

fj
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/23/20 12:39 AM
Wow, another beauty! Really enjoyed it as I always do with your contributions, one to add to my GJ jukebox. The video was pretty, too, it just panned and zoomed too fast for me.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/23/20 03:48 PM
Greg. Oh, man. You are the best find since the 60s. smile Every song you write seems to shine such artistic talent. Combining that with your ability to put it into a brilliant presentation is a mix that will never miss. With WATERCOLORS you've painted a masterpiece. From the title to the fading sax, we are lifted on an ocean breeze like the ones that can only tickle the palms, then gently lowered into the realization of
"But no one's meant to hold
The magic colors of her love untold".

It is not dismay; it was always expected. Yet no one regrets the chance to share in the way she sees the world.

Ok. Liner notes aside... this is a really good song and really well done, Greg. To prove it, my 5-year old granddaughter LOVES IT!

The video was good, too. Stay well, and keep painting.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/23/20 05:28 PM
Greg Nice one you do a lovely Ballad, this was a beautiful easy listen.

Would love to know the spec I.E. What style etc.

Thanks
Posted By: Tiger Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/23/20 06:15 PM
Everything about it was very comfortable. After a few seconds of listening, I wanted to put my feet up on a nearby chair and lean back.

Glenn
Posted By: Tangmo Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/23/20 07:22 PM
Greg and glimpses of Gaugin, A very moving piece, and a splendid observation of a loved one. I spend considerable time trying to imagine what "she" is thinking", how she is processing her world and here it is laid out before me with such seemingly effortless grace. Fantastic.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/24/20 09:10 PM
A listening pleasure.

I can't add anything to what Alan and the others have said. A masterpiece.

That satin lilting voice is the cherry on top.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/25/20 04:32 PM
Our first impression was Brian Wilson of later years. A good thing!

The latin groove is very cool and the sax just nails it.

How neat that your daughter's creativity was the genesis for
a creative tune.

And the write and vocal are right up there with your high bar standards.

Well done!

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/26/20 08:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Greg ...

Talk about the "wow factor" in a musical production. This has it! The delicate warmth of this just wraps itself around the listener and instills a sense of innocence. I'm stunned by its beauty. I've said it many times; but I make no apology for being redundant: A song couldn't have a better friend than you. You're a true master of your craft.

Wishing you and yours everything good. Be safe ...

Alan

PS: Di says: Hi! And what a gorgeous song."

Thanks Alan!! Really appreciate your kind words! Just listened to Whispered Lies.....fantastic!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/26/20 08:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Chris Dent
Brilliant. Love it.

Thanks so much Chris!! Listened to one of yours recently....can't remember what it was (an instrumental I think?). I recall it sounded GREAT!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Deej56 Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/26/20 10:48 PM
Greg,

I’m late to the party here and all the accolades I could offer have already been said. It’s simply an outstanding tune, delivered with your always soft and warm vocal, that especially adds color (no pun intended) to this pretty song. Outstanding!

Best regards,

Deej
Posted By: Belladonna Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/26/20 11:19 PM
Love the dreamy style. Being a watercolor artist myself, I could so relate to the colors not only of the paintings and the video but the music seemed to be in shades of pastels. Sometimes we artists put on music and interpret what that inspires in a painting. I think your song would be a good one to use for that exercise. It allows on to be introspective. So nice your daughter spoke to your sensitivities to do this beautiful composition.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/30/20 06:56 PM
Greg,
A sweet inspiration for this very fine song. The melody, backing and, of course, your warm relaxed vocals and harmonies are all excellent!
For my taste the video images ( which are well chosen for the theme)move a little quickly for the song.

Robert
Posted By: MarioD Re: NEW SONG POST: Watercolors - 05/30/20 07:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Greg,

I’m late to the party here and all the accolades I could offer have already been said. It’s simply an outstanding tune, delivered with your always soft and warm vocal, that especially adds color (no pun intended) to this pretty song. Outstanding!

Best regards,

Deej

Ditto

Greag, this is absolutely fantastic and your best to date. I would buy an album of songs like this.

You said that you are not artistic. WRONG! You are an artist with BiaB, lyrics, and you voice and a damn good one at that!
© PG Music Forums