PG Music Home
Posted By: Strummer911 Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 05/30/20 08:34 AM
Can't Wait 'Til Monday on Soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/strummer911/cant-wait-til-monday/s-pRQINyUd1w5

Can't Wait 'Til Monday

Started writing this before the lockdown so it either makes no sense now or even more sense now. Let me know what you think.

Written and recorded by Steve Andrews
All tracks generated using Band in a Box

520:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 165
1259:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningRockA-B Ev 120
638:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RootsRockTremolo Ev 100
406:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 136
686:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 120
3064:Vocal Oohs, Rhythm Pop3-part Ev 085
RealDrums:RockRootsEv8^1-a:Snare, Open HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Custom style: SJAWHAT.STY

Vocals recorded using Audacity and processed using Adobe Audition
Vocal effects: equalization, doubling

Tracks mixed and master using Mixcraft
Posted By: Al-David Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 05/30/20 08:40 AM
Hello Steve ...

First song of yours I've heard. Glad I did!

I like this a lot. That B3 is sounding terrific when it comes in. This is a real nice listen. Great mix ... your vocal sits exactly where it should in the mix ... at least to my ears. The only suggestion is to give that abrupt ending another look. Thanks for a real nice listen.

Wishing you the best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Strummer911 Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 05/30/20 09:05 AM
Alan,

Thanks a lot for listening to that. I appreciate the suggestion about the ending.
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 05/30/20 09:32 AM
The lyrics fit the mood of the track very well. I also like the chord progression and the arrangement. I agree with Alan about the ending - the chopped off effect gives the impression that you can't wait to get to the end of the song. A held chord for the last bar should fix that easily enough. Pretty good stuff.
Posted By: Strummer911 Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 05/30/20 09:35 AM
Thanks I appreciate that. I guess I'll be changing that ending
Posted By: ROG Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 05/30/20 12:15 PM
Hi Steve,

Terrific!

What a great sound on that intro guitar - had me hooked from the first bar and
reaching to turn up the volume.

Fabulous backing track, with shades of the Travelling Wilburys I thought. Really romps along.

Great vocal as well, but I could have done with it a bit louder to catch all the lyrics.

Strangely, I can get along OK with the ending. It's always nice to pull something out of the
bag at the very end, just when people think they've heard all it has to offer.

Great stuff.

ROG.
Posted By: Strummer911 Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 05/30/20 03:43 PM
Thanks Rog I appreciate appreciate the feedback. I never know how loud to mix the vocals. It always sounds too low or too loud to me. I might try it louder.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 05/30/20 07:22 PM
Steve,

A good rocking ride into Monday! Almost everything works well to my hearing, including the fall off a cliff ending... maybe bring the lead vocal up a few dbs.
Posting lyrics here is a good idea- folks do pay attention to them.

Robert
Posted By: MarioD Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 05/30/20 07:34 PM
You had me right from the git go! Super guitars, strong vocal, and an excellent mix.

I didn't really mind the ending either.

Super job on this one.
Posted By: Strummer911 Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 05/31/20 09:39 AM
Thanks Robert. I think I will up the vocals.
Posted By: Strummer911 Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 05/31/20 09:40 AM
Thanks Mario for the encouragement! Do you think I should bring the vocals up in the mix? I worry about exposing the flaws in my voice.
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 05/31/20 06:05 PM
Hey Steve,

This is quite good, in fact really good. I agree with the other comments about the chord progression and arrangment - very well done. Agree with the vocals too - excellent but just need to be a bit louder for my taste. You've got a real interesting mix of styles and vibes going here - I can hear some Cars, and as mentioned a bit of Traveling Wilburys, and I think maybe a bit of Fountains of Wayne, but at the same time I can hear a distinctive style of your own mixed in there, just starting to emerge. I think you are onto something here. Very few songs that I come across in this forum or other places these days have a really appealing and distinctive style, but I hear it in this piece. That's what will get you listeners and popularity. Especially when you have a catchy and appealing style which is what you've got here. I'm no producer or and not even close to a musician, but I would encourage you to double down on your own sound - keep going for it - find that pocket that no one has quite hit yet.

Cheers,
Posted By: Strummer911 Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 05/31/20 07:28 PM
Ed,

I can't thank you enough for the encouragement. I'm sure you know how easy it is to lose faith in your own songwriting abilities. I'm actually coming back to it after a 5 year hiatus. I lost confidence and just stopped. But since I started back up at the beginning of the year, I've had a creative eruption and that song is one of the 3 or 4 this year that I am particularly proud of. Thanks again, your words mean a lot to me.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 06/01/20 01:03 AM
Nice backing tracks and good, catchy chorus. And for many office workers, a relatable story, I'm sure.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: rayc Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 06/01/20 06:34 AM
I REALLY like the rough/raw guitar in the intro.
The songs sounds best when that energy is propelling it.
Your voice is good - a bit like Stan Ridgway.
The reverb on your voice seems at odds with backing and with the slightly too high level separates it from the mix.
I rather liked the abrupt ending.
Posted By: Strummer911 Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 06/01/20 08:45 AM
Thanks Leon I appreciate the feedback
Posted By: Strummer911 Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 06/01/20 08:45 AM
Ray, thanks for the feedback. I was thinking myself that there was too much reverb. I will take another shot at it.
Posted By: furry Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 06/01/20 08:54 AM
Nice one Steve, Ending is brilliant, looking forward to hearing more
Posted By: Scott C Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 06/01/20 05:42 PM
Cool tune. Loved the lyric and vocal. Well done
Posted By: Strummer911 Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 06/02/20 10:22 AM
Thanks Graham I appreciate the feedback
Posted By: Strummer911 Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 06/02/20 10:22 AM
Thanks Scott I appreciate that
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 06/03/20 08:59 PM
Steve,

LIke the sound of this one out of the gateā€”and a cool premise and hook for a tune. Some harmonies on that chorus might really make it shine. But really good as is! Cool listen!

All the best,

Deej
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 06/04/20 09:20 PM
Steve, this is good. Love the overall sound and production. This is the second song I've listened to tonight that brings me back the good times of yesteryear. Thanks for posting!
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 06/04/20 09:41 PM
Thanks for sharing! It is a good track... maybe a little too much of reverb... but that is very much a choice which is personal. The ending is a bit abrupt... again a choice.

Well done,
Will
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Can't Wait 'Til Monday - 06/14/20 05:36 PM
Cool song!! I really like the feel of the music.....kinda Clashy!! It was a bit hard to make out the vocals early on but got better. Nice job with this!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums