PG Music Home
Posted By: Scott C Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/03/20 04:19 PM
Here is a new song from Robert and my Spirit Level Project. Lots of experimentation with sound on this project.

Draw Me to Fire

Robert will add how the lyrics were inspired.

Draw Me To Fire

draw me to water
I drown onshore
following footprints between your pillow
and my open door

draw me to earth
I`m falling in air
a fly on the wall I heard
sweet nothings you shared

draw me to fire
keep my hand in the flame
`til I believe grace and disgrace
are one and the same
draw me to fire

buried your last look like miser`s gold
dig it up sometimes
still so bright so cold

draw me to good
against my will
cut to the core as you close the door
haunt me still

draw me to fire
keep my hand in the flame
are one and the same
draw me to fire

buried your last look
like miser`s gold
dig it up sometimes
still so bright so cold
draw me to fire

© Robert Cordrey May 2020

Here is the band:

****** Song Summary *************
Title: draw me to fire
File:draw me to fire.SGU
Key=Dm , Tempo 105, Length (m:s)=3:32
No intro. 89 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 89. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _SHAMAN.STY (Shaman Folk Rock w Psych Solo)

RealTracks in style: 3121:Bass, Acoustic, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 3182:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm GrungeUnpluggedQuinn Ev16 090
RealTracks in style: 3181:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm AcRockDriving8thsQuinn Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 3350:Guitar, Electric, Soloist HazyFunkyWah Ev16 090
RealTracks in song: 2446:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Background SpaghettiWestern Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 2446:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Background SpaghettiWestern Ev 065
RealDrums [in style:NashvilleBrushesBalladPushEv16: a: Sidestick, Brushes b: Brushes

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul R9 and a Gretsch Penguin
Amp: Purdy (62 Fender Dlx Clone)
Effects: Eventide H9's and JC Rockett Archer (Klon Klon)

Song was originally setup in RealBand and then transferred to Studio One for mixing and mastering.

Hope you like it.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/03/20 04:58 PM
Spirit Level...

The experimentation is working! A great "Indie" sound. Very original.

Nice guitar touches, Scott.

Robert, an impassioned vocal. Good write. The various "drawing" elements are each well done.

Good mix. A very cool sound - has an haunting smoothness...

I like it.

fj
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/03/20 09:02 PM
Scott and Robert:

Yeah, everything here is working well for me. Like those high, dreamy guitar licks throughout as well as the production work not the lead—nice width, use of panning on this as well. A really strong vocal from Robert. All very cool.

My best to you both,

Deej
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/03/20 09:22 PM
Well done. I really liked the choir.

Thanks for sharing!

Will
Posted By: PeterF Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/04/20 12:02 AM
Spirit Level

Impressive, that all came together very nicely, well sung, well played and well composed.

Nice teamwork!

Peter
Posted By: Scott C Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/04/20 11:50 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Spirit Level...

The experimentation is working! A great "Indie" sound. Very original.

Nice guitar touches, Scott.

Robert, an impassioned vocal. Good write. The various "drawing" elements are each well done.

Good mix. A very cool sound - has an haunting smoothness...

I like it.

fj

Thanks Floyd. I also think that Robert did an awesome vocal on this. There is a very cool story in the lyric and he brought that out in his vocal. Thanks for the comments on the mix. I have been doing a very deep dive on the mixing and mastering process. Have allot to learn. Glad you liked the song
Posted By: Scott C Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/05/20 12:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Scott and Robert:

Yeah, everything here is working well for me. Like those high, dreamy guitar licks throughout as well as the production work not the lead—nice width, use of panning on this as well. A really strong vocal from Robert. All very cool.

My best to you both,

Deej

Thanks for checking out the song and very kind comments. Glad you liked the song.

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Well done. I really liked the choir.

Thanks for sharing!

Will

Thanks for checking out the song. Glad you liked the choir Robert worked very hard on that. It had quite a bit of editing.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Spirit Level

Impressive, that all came together very nicely, well sung, well played and well composed.

Nice teamwork!

Peter

Thanks Peter Glad you liked the song
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/05/20 12:43 PM
Nice one guys!

Excellent vocal from Robert, maybe his best yet.

And cool guitar work from you, Scott. You definitely have your own style, and that is a good thing wink

Cool lyrics, I like the whole "draw me" theme.

Excellent song, loved it.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/05/20 01:44 PM
Spirit Level Project done it again!
A nice exploration of styles and sounds. I am glad that you are not adhering to particular genre, which leaves a lot of creative headroom.
Listens very well. Robert's voice a bit angrier in places than usual and that works! I like how Scott's guitar cuts through the mix. Congrats to both of you and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. Cool picture for the tune
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/05/20 05:17 PM
Ethereal in write and sound. Cinematic even.

Those last few lines really leave one wondering...Lots of dots to connect. We like that!

Very well sung and played. Nice complementary thing going there.

Thanks for providing all the track info and your instrument setup, etc.

You two have a good thing going!

J&B
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/05/20 08:17 PM
"...keep my hand in the flame
are one and the same..."

This song is so intimate I'm a little embarrassed listening. Love the layers in the band covering the sonics and "thickness" with Scott's high lines bringing it all together. A pleasure listening.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/06/20 12:28 PM
Thanks for listens and positive comments to all listeners.
"Robert will add how the lyrics were inspired"....ok, Scotty, but I don`t believe in inspiration!
I set myself a challenge to write a simple, repetitive rocker from the title phrase- that`s it really.
More of the normal Spirit Level strange coming up next.

Robert
Posted By: Al-David Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/06/20 03:31 PM
Robert & Scott ...

Definitely and Indie sound and, as Janice & Bud mentioned, very ethereal. The mix seems spot on to my ears. I enjoyed the song a lot! Really nice work, my friends!

Best to you and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Scott C Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/06/20 11:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Thanks for listens and positive comments to all listeners.
"Robert will add how the lyrics were inspired"....ok, Scotty, but I don`t believe in inspiration!
I set myself a challenge to write a simple, repetitive rocker from the title phrase- that`s it really.
More of the normal Spirit Level strange coming up next.

Robert

Lol I loved the lyric and I believe they come from a special place.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/06/20 11:13 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice one guys!

Excellent vocal from Robert, maybe his best yet.

And cool guitar work from you, Scott. You definitely have your own style, and that is a good thing wink

Cool lyrics, I like the whole "draw me" theme.

Excellent song, loved it.

Thanks Dave. Roberts chord selections give me a pretty wide scope to play with. The bass lines and his vocal are very inspirational when searching for a melody.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/06/20 11:50 PM
Love when RKC gets a little grit going vocally. Great lyrics, working at a very high level. Hard to do better than this. As always, I'm a big fan.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/06/20 11:58 PM
Great production. Cool lyrics and vocals. Like the hook "draw me fire". Outstanding electric guitar work.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/07/20 11:46 AM
I really like your unique style, celtic-inspired folk rock is close to my heart (this ones reminded me of The Waterboys although I haven't much listened to their music). Some psychedelic elements like from the early 70's, enjoyable chording once again, Scott painting the sky and Robert the Earth. Strong vocals. Nice title leads to challenging lyrical imagery. Straightforward with enjoyable hooks, showing your great talent.

I think there are some realtracks missing from the RT list, at least organ and vocal ones smile

Janne
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/07/20 06:13 PM
Hi Scott and Robert,

Ethereal, that word came up in my head when listening to this beautful song.
I liked a lot of what happened in the song, but I pick out the leadguitar (the Les Paul?) following the vocals with subtle tones. Nicely done.
Of course Roberts' vocals and lyrics need no more compliments. They are always very good. Although in this song even better...!

So well done again, you two!

Hans
Posted By: rayc Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/08/20 09:03 AM
Psych Western...
I enjoyed it.
A narrative as film script, a guitar as lightning rod..all cool and well balanced
There're a few spots of particular aggression veering into clipping on the vocal that a faster compressor setting may mellow or a touch here and there of PREFX volume automation could resolve, (pre becasue the reverb etc may be part of the issue in they way they react to the transient).
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/08/20 03:05 PM

Sounds great y'all. Excellent collaboration!
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/09/20 12:57 AM
Robert, Scott - This is excellent. It's great to hear people going for something original and different, especially when it works, and this really does. The vibe is super smooth and has a bit of a haunting element to it. I think you're really onto something here - a distinctive sound, and it's really easy on the ears. Great vocals, really sweet guitar work.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/09/20 12:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Spirit Level Project done it again!
A nice exploration of styles and sounds. I am glad that you are not adhering to particular genre, which leaves a lot of creative headroom.
Listens very well. Robert's voice a bit angrier in places than usual and that works! I like how Scott's guitar cuts through the mix. Congrats to both of you and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. Cool picture for the tune

Thanks Misha for checking out the song. I have often wondered where the all these songs come from. So many different influences. I loved it when there is a hint of everything in the song. A sort of goulash of music influences. A liitle dash of blues, a touch of folk and four parts rock and roll. :-)

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Ethereal in write and sound. Cinematic even.

Those last few lines really leave one wondering...Lots of dots to connect. We like that!

Very well sung and played. Nice complementary thing going there.

Thanks for providing all the track info and your instrument setup, etc.

You two have a good thing going!

J&B

Thanks so much for the awesome comments Janice and Bud. Glad you liked the song
Posted By: Scott C Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/10/20 10:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
"...keep my hand in the flame
are one and the same..."

This song is so intimate I'm a little embarrassed listening. Love the layers in the band covering the sonics and "thickness" with Scott's high lines bringing it all together. A pleasure listening.

Thanks Tangmo for the awesome comments. So glad you liked the song.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Robert & Scott ...

Definitely and Indie sound and, as Janice & Bud mentioned, very ethereal. The mix seems spot on to my ears. I enjoyed the song a lot! Really nice work, my friends!

Best to you and be safe ...

Alan

Thanks Al for checking out the song. Thanks for the thumbs up on the mix. spending lots of time learning the details of the art of mixing.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/10/20 11:53 PM
Well Scott, impressive production here, lots of stuff going on and all fitted very well.
Enjoyed it a lot.

Mike B.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/12/20 04:59 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Love when RKC gets a little grit going vocally. Great lyrics, working at a very high level. Hard to do better than this. As always, I'm a big fan.

Thanks for checking out the song. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Great production. Cool lyrics and vocals. Like the hook "draw me fire". Outstanding electric guitar work.

Thanks so much for the awesome comments. Really glad you liked it
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/14/20 06:26 PM
Cool psychedelic tune!! VERY Spirit Level!! You two create a great vibe....Robert's vocals and trippy lyrics with Scott's sweet licks!! NICE!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Scott C Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/15/20 11:58 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
I really like your unique style, celtic-inspired folk rock is close to my heart (this ones reminded me of The Waterboys although I haven't much listened to their music). Some psychedelic elements like from the early 70's, enjoyable chording once again, Scott painting the sky and Robert the Earth. Strong vocals. Nice title leads to challenging lyrical imagery. Straightforward with enjoyable hooks, showing your great talent.

I think there are some realtracks missing from the RT list, at least organ and vocal ones smile

Janne

Thanks you for the awesome comments Janne they are very much appreciated.So glad you liked the song

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Scott and Robert,

Ethereal, that word came up in my head when listening to this beautful song.
I liked a lot of what happened in the song, but I pick out the leadguitar (the Les Paul?) following the vocals with subtle tones. Nicely done.
Of course Roberts' vocals and lyrics need no more compliments. They are always very good. Although in this song even better...!

So well done again, you two!

Hans

Thank you Hans for the very gracious comments. Yes the Les Paul did the solo on this song. The guitar has a very solid and full tone to it. So glad you liked the song

Originally Posted By: rayc
Psych Western...
I enjoyed it.
A narrative as film script, a guitar as lightning rod..all cool and well balanced
There're a few spots of particular aggression veering into clipping on the vocal that a faster compressor setting may mellow or a touch here and there of PREFX volume automation could resolve, (pre becasue the reverb etc may be part of the issue in they way they react to the transient).

Thanks rayc for checking out the song. Also thank you for the comments on the mix. I have been working very hard to improve my skills with the art of the mix. So much to learn.

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Sounds great y'all. Excellent collaboration!

Thank you David for checking out the song. So good to hear from you. Glad you liked it
Posted By: Scott C Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/16/20 10:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Cool psychedelic tune!! VERY Spirit Level!! You two create a great vibe....Robert's vocals and trippy lyrics with Scott's sweet licks!! NICE!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg for checking out the song and so glad you liked it. I think trippy and psychedelic is in our DNA lol.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/16/20 10:01 PM
Originally Posted By: EdZ314
Robert, Scott - This is excellent. It's great to hear people going for something original and different, especially when it works, and this really does. The vibe is super smooth and has a bit of a haunting element to it. I think you're really onto something here - a distinctive sound, and it's really easy on the ears. Great vocals, really sweet guitar work.

Thanks Ed for the awesome comments. Robert and I really try to come up with original content on each some we work on together. Love exploring the different sounds and tones. Really enjoy Roberts lyrics. Such imagination and seems to express his lyrics perfectly with his vocals.

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Well Scott, impressive production here, lots of stuff going on and all fitted very well.
Enjoyed it a lot.

Mike B.

Thanks Mike for checking out the song. Really appreciate your comments.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/24/20 09:16 PM
Sorry it took so long for me to get to this one (I'm glad I did), I thought I had, but obviously I hadn't.

Robert is becoming a master lyricist. I love the vintage feel and sound. Your guitar, as always, is spot on.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/24/20 11:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Sorry it took so long for me to get to this one (I'm glad I did), I thought I had, but obviously I hadn't.

Robert is becoming a master lyricist. I love the vintage feel and sound. Your guitar, as always, is spot on.

Thanks so much for checking out the song and giving another visit to page one. So glad you liked it..
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/26/20 09:47 PM
Scott and Robert, you guys have crafted your own sound! This tune sounds beautiful! Robert, this is one of your best vocals IMO! Scott's guitar tone really works on this one! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/27/20 12:20 PM
Man, what a great team. Lyrics are wonderful (if not inspired, Robert, they ARE inspiring), and your guitar work is so very tasteful, Scott. You guys are becoming one of my favorite bands. Wonderful collaboration. Keep 'em coming. Your spirit level rises with each take.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/28/20 11:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Scott and Robert, you guys have crafted your own sound! This tune sounds beautiful! Robert, this is one of your best vocals IMO! Scott's guitar tone really works on this one! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey. So glad to hear from you again. I agree that this was one of Roberts best vocals. So glad you liked the song .

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Man, what a great team. Lyrics are wonderful (if not inspired, Robert, they ARE inspiring), and your guitar work is so very tasteful, Scott. You guys are becoming one of my favorite bands. Wonderful collaboration. Keep 'em coming. Your spirit level rises with each take.

Thanks Marty for the awesome comments. They are very much appreciated. So glad you liked the song
Posted By: dcuny Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/28/20 02:03 PM
Late to this party, cool song.

The mix was pleasant and clear, but it sounded it was mixed by the band's guitarist, if that makes sense. The guitar seemed to have a more prominent place in the mix than the vocal.

Nice vocals by Robert - good emoting, I loved the growl he added. A bit of a Talking Heads vibe, in a good way.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/30/20 11:20 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Late to this party, cool song.

The mix was pleasant and clear, but it sounded it was mixed by the band's guitarist, if that makes sense. The guitar seemed to have a more prominent place in the mix than the vocal.

Nice vocals by Robert - good emoting, I loved the growl he added. A bit of a Talking Heads vibe, in a good way.

Thanks David for checking out the song. Appreciate the comments regarding the mix. Since Robert and I have been collaboration I have been playing in behind his vocals. With this mix I was concentrating on machine sure there was good separation and clarity with all the instruments on the track. The idea behind it being that all together the formed a single unit but if you concentrated on a specific area you could pick out the kick or hit hat or high melody in the background. The guitars are panned quite far away from the vocal so may have focus a little more in this area.

Glad you liked the song
Posted By: edshaw Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/30/20 09:28 PM
I think it worked very well. The timing allows the understated vocal the necessary room to make its impact. Interesting that you chose a melodic theme that reminded me a little of the theme music for Clint Eastwood's "hang 'em High." which brought up an emotion of open spaces.
Posted By: Bawb Re: Draw Me to Fire - Spirit Level - 06/30/20 09:43 PM
Hi Scott,

Wow, I really would like to play guitar the way you do!
Having a real lead just makes the vocals and everything congeal a lot better.
The whole project sounds really cool.
Great music, lyrics and vocals.

Thanks for posting it.
© PG Music Forums