so she'll have to be the one to say goodbye

she'll have to be the one...

The BAND:
RealTracks in style: ~701:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~2051:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 365 Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 912:Piano, Electric, Rhythm SmoothPoppy Ev16 090
RealDrums in style: NashvillePop16^4-a:SideStick, HiHat , b:Snare, Hihat

ME: Vocals, harmonies, acoustic guitar, strings, words & music, production, mixing, mastering, a bottle of red, a bottle of white...

The strings are from Spitfire's BBC Symphony Orchestra
(played using my old Yamaha SY-55 synth for the MIDI controller).
Recently, there was a thread in the Recording section of the forum about them.
...which you can download for free (thanks, Hugh2):
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=600192#Post600192
(I've only used the violins here. There is a bunch more to it!)
You gotta be crazy! to not take advantage of this offer.

Hope you have some time to listen.
Comments welcome.

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/04/20 11:57 AM
Another awesome tune Floyd. Such a cool story in the lyric. Loved the instrument selection and backtrack. Beautiful song Well done
Posted By: ROG Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/04/20 12:05 PM
Hi Floyd,

Another great song and a great BIG sound which hangs together well when played up LOUD.
The strings are stellar and the drums really powerful. That kick drum nearly brought my
sub off the wall. I listened to this with my wife, who's really a "Northern Soul" girl and
even she said it was good!

Your vocals, which are always good, were particularly impressive this time out.
Lots of textures in the arrangement and an excellent mix.

Maybe a backward step (after last time) with the solo, but I won't mention that...

Always very professional.

Cheers,
ROG
Posted By: Derochette Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/04/20 04:18 PM
Hello Floyd Jane,

Captivating composition based on a joyful and nostalgic text at the same time. You have a superb voice which gives a real cachet to your song.

Friendly Dero13
Posted By: Deej56 Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/04/20 04:19 PM
Floyd,

Another great tune—they keep coming! Vocal is stellar on this—lots of depth and emotion—sits perfectly in that mix, superb. Wonderfully done!

Oh, and thanks for the link to the free strings download—I’ll have to check that out!

Hope all is good with you,

Deej
Posted By: David Snyder Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/04/20 04:56 PM
Floyd,

This sounds great!

Man, I was stunned to hear you playing guitar last time. That was awesome.

But I had NO idea you could play violin like this! Wow! Man. It sounds almost like the BBC Orchestra!

smile

Remarkable!

Oh, wait that was the BBC orchestra. Never mind. Still love the song though. You know I ain't right Floyd.
Posted By: musician17 Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/04/20 06:29 PM
Sad but beautiful song. There's this beautiful tinge of melancholy in your voice, despite the major key, etc., which - for me - carries this song the extra mile. You sing it like you mean it, too - which is another "extra mile" feature of this song. Simple but to the point, too. Well done.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/04/20 06:37 PM
Another great job. Excellent write.

I personally found the strings to be a bit too dominate. But it's a matter of taste I reckon.

All in all, well done.
Posted By: MarioD Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/04/20 08:29 PM
You are one awesome story teller. One winner after another. Your mixes are always so good, as are your vocals.

Another winner.
Posted By: PeterF Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/04/20 11:08 PM
floyd

Nice engaging song, beautifully performed and written.
Excellent job on the strings - they sound very nice in the mix.

Another top quality production.

Peter
Posted By: rayc Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/05/20 04:18 AM
A deft touch in the use of strings.
That electric piano is aggressive on the attack at the beginning of phrases.
Lovely song and arrangement.
It has a Jimmy Webb sung by Glen Campbell quality to it.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/05/20 04:31 AM
Hi Floyd.
Another excellent song, beautifully sung.
The old break-up ballad really is a bottomless well!
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: Al-David Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/05/20 04:56 AM
Hi Floyd ...

Your musical magic never takes a break! Simply put ... it's awesome. Thanks for a really wonderful listen.

Let's see, for country songwwriting greats there's, Tom T., Harlan Howard, and then Floyd Jane. And I guess you could throw Jeffrey Steele in there, too. Regardless, the Floyd Jane name, in my book, is a very comfortable fit in that select group.

Best to you & yours. be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: TexasFrets Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/05/20 05:15 AM
Lovely song. Great arrangement and beautiful vocals.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/05/20 08:11 AM
Man, I love your vocal on this! You are doing something different with the processing I think than you normally use? Sounds fabulous.

Drums sound great, the kick is right where it should be, toms and snare too; you get more out of realdrums than most.

I also like the strings, cool that you did that via midi controller. I really need to learn about midi one of these days wink

And of course great writing too!

Really enjoyed this one, floyd, listened a few times.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/05/20 09:42 AM
Hi floyd,

I haven't been into the forum for a while.

What a song to come back to! This is stunning. The melody flows along so beautifully and your vocals carry this musical journey with the sound of authenticity that is only possessed by those who have spent decades practising and refining their talent. In addition, your 'band' is the perfect backing ensemble.

To my ears, this song sounded like it belongs in a stage show. In my head, the male protagonist is singing to a picture of his girlfriend/wife and making a commitment to himself that he will travel whatever road this love of his takes him. Moreover, he is reaffirming that he is 100% committed to his partner unconditionally. (The world would certainly be a much better place if we could all learn how to love one another unconditionally.)

From start to end, you kept me travelling along with a smile on my face and a warm feeling in my heart.

I sincerely appreciated listening to you sing this excellent composition.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Birchwood Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/05/20 10:09 AM
Hi Floyd,

Something different here! A ballad with very strong vocals and very nice strings in it.
Very nice composition and arrangement!

And the way you did this all was intriguing: bottle of red, bottle of white...
Good days must be coming soon, after this sound!

A nice day,
Hans
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/05/20 11:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Another awesome tune Floyd. Such a cool story in the lyric. Loved the instrument selection and backtrack. Beautiful song Well done

Thanks, Scott...

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd,

Another great song and a great BIG sound which hangs together well when played up LOUD.
The strings are stellar and the drums really powerful. That kick drum nearly brought my
sub off the wall. I listened to this with my wife, who's really a "Northern Soul" girl and
even she said it was good!

Your vocals, which are always good, were particularly impressive this time out.
Lots of textures in the arrangement and an excellent mix.

Maybe a backward step (after last time) with the solo, but I won't mention that...

Always very professional.

Cheers,
ROG

Thanks, ROG - and thanks to your wife smile - I had look up "Northern Soul" - the term was new to me - how could you not love that stuff!!...

Thanks for mentioning the strings. That was a main part of why I chose to do this song...
Posted By: Robertkc Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/05/20 01:56 PM
Floyd,
A simply beautiful write; direct and heartfelt with those nice details of the first verse drawing in to big chorus declarations.
The strings work for me- thanks for putting up the link.
I agree with other listeners reminded of great pop and country balladeers; your vocal communicates that well.

Robert
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/06/20 10:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Dero13
Hello Floyd Jane,

Captivating composition based on a joyful and nostalgic text at the same time. You have a superb voice which gives a real cachet to your song.

Friendly Dero13

Dero - thanks for the nice review...
Posted By: Ronnie Fields Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/06/20 11:23 AM
A very smooth ballad, I love the mix the way the electric piano and strings come in, and the harmony is spot on!!
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/07/20 12:22 AM
Sweet song. Touching. Well crafted and well written. Nice vocal delivery. The strings are pretty. Good job.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/07/20 11:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Floyd,

Another great tune—they keep coming! Vocal is stellar on this—lots of depth and emotion—sits perfectly in that mix, superb. Wonderfully done!

Oh, and thanks for the link to the free strings download—I’ll have to check that out!

Hope all is good with you,

Deej

Thanks, Deej. Look forward to hearing some strings in your next one... smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/07/20 10:18 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Floyd,

This sounds great!

Man, I was stunned to hear you playing guitar last time. That was awesome.

But I had NO idea you could play violin like this! Wow! Man. It sounds almost like the BBC Orchestra!

smile

Remarkable!

Oh, wait that was the BBC orchestra. Never mind. Still love the song though. You know I ain't right Floyd.

Jack-of-all-trades and all ya know... smile
Your new one is awesome
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/07/20 11:16 PM
FJ,
Very nice vocals!
E. piano works great on it. Radio quality stuff! BBC strings work well, but I think they stand out a bit loud in places. Nice work on arrangement! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. I followed Hugh post too and got the same package. Did not get to play much with it, but the quality of some instruments are amazing.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/08/20 03:26 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
Sad but beautiful song. There's this beautiful tinge of melancholy in your voice, despite the major key, etc., which - for me - carries this song the extra mile. You sing it like you mean it, too - which is another "extra mile" feature of this song. Simple but to the point, too. Well done.

Thanks, James...

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Another great job. Excellent write.

I personally found the strings to be a bit too dominate. But it's a matter of taste I reckon.

All in all, well done.

Thanks, Herb.
I set the level of the strings based on Aerosmith's "I Don't Want To Close My Eyes"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkK8g6FMEXE
and Glen Campbell's "Wichita Lineman"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8P_xTBpAcY
(where the strings are actually more "dominant")
They are intended to carry the song (the way you use guitars to do the same thing)...not to be wimpy background.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/08/20 07:24 PM
Like many of your songs, how one "takes it" depends on how one takes it in. I'm not the "guy" in your song. I'm not the "lady" either. We are not the couple in this song. Yet--somehow almost magical--I find myself at the table.

Song, vocal, arrangement all strong. Nice repeated vocal hook. Great package.
Posted By: Bawb Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/08/20 08:00 PM
Hi Floyd,

This is a really well-written song. I can really see the whole thing unfold as you sing the words.
The best way I can describe this song is like biting into a Werther's Candy and a sharp piece sticking you in the side of your gum. Kind of sweet, but kinda brings a tear to your eye.
Thanks for posting it...
Posted By: furry Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/08/20 09:52 PM
Floyd, this is a cracker of a song. Really great powerful vocals. This has to be my favourite of your songs to date. It doesn't remind me of anyone else, it's got your stamp on it, A BEAUTY !!
Posted By: dcuny Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/09/20 12:42 AM
Dang, you can really sell a song with your vocals.

i still believe love lasts forever

That's one heck of a write - grabs the heart, wrenches it out, and stomps it to bits. laugh

And those strings are really effective. Still waiting for mine to show up.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/09/20 11:06 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
You are one awesome story teller. One winner after another. Your mixes are always so good, as are your vocals.

Another winner.

Thanks, Mario!!

Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

Nice engaging song, beautifully performed and written.
Excellent job on the strings - they sound very nice in the mix.

Another top quality production.

Peter

Appreciate that, Peter...
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/09/20 09:08 PM
With each song post, you never disappoint.

Such bittersweet lyrics. Your vocal is on another level here...Superbly done.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/11/20 10:33 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
A deft touch in the use of strings.
That electric piano is aggressive on the attack at the beginning of phrases.
Lovely song and arrangement.
It has a Jimmy Webb sung by Glen Campbell quality to it.

ray - Thanks for mentioning the strings... I feel like I'm in a new "learning mode" in that area (which is a fun thing). I rather like the aggressive attack of the e. piano... seems fairly "natural" for it...

"It has a Jimmy Webb sung by Glen Campbell quality to it." - Now THERE'S a comment that warms my heart!!! Glen (and by default, Jimmy) were my biggest influence when I began playing and writing - at age 14. A "first love" as it were - you never forget those...
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/11/20 05:33 PM
Well, Ray beat us to the mention of Glen Campbell. That was Janice’s first comment.

So on your last tune you introduced a lot of folks to your blues playing and now an example of your midi chops — a skillset that defies and will continue to defy us smile

Janice likes the “swell” of the strings. Bud said that’s what they are supposed to do. Janice says they work really well on this song!

The drums are superb.

The juxtaposing of I’ll be the one and she’ll be the one is a fine example of how a different slant can so well carry a lyric. Seems easy but we’ve learned enough to know that isn’t the case. Simply a wonderful write.

Your vocal … what to say? Yet another example of your stellar chops.

Most excellent mr jane!

J&B
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/12/20 10:20 AM
You sure have the knack of delivering quality material - every time.
This is no exception. Starts off perfect and then continues to get better.

Fantastic.
Posted By: cliftond Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/12/20 10:36 AM
Very nice song Floyd, it has all the right touches and your vocal embellishes it. Not really my style, but, excellent indeed!!! Cliff
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/13/20 10:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Floyd.
Another excellent song, beautifully sung.
The old break-up ballad really is a bottomless well!
Regards,
Leon

Thanks, Leon!!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/14/20 04:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Floyd ...

Your musical magic never takes a break! Simply put ... it's awesome. Thanks for a really wonderful listen.

Let's see, for country songwwriting greats there's, Tom T., Harlan Howard, and then Floyd Jane. And I guess you could throw Jeffrey Steele in there, too. Regardless, the Floyd Jane name, in my book, is a very comfortable fit in that select group.

Alan

Alan - That's some pretty heady company to be listed in (even it IS an exaggeration!! smile )

I got to meet Harlan at his office - of the publishing company that he and his wife had (I was there for a writing appointment with their only staff writer). Spoke with him briefly. So that was a cool opportunity...

Thanks for the kind words...
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/14/20 06:50 PM
This is PURE CLASS!!!! If I were teaching songwriting, I would play this as an example of how to do it right!! Clever, but just clever enough to catch the imagination and not get self indulgent. Classic songwriting a la Diane Warren, Burt Bacharach, and company! And, quite a lovely vocal and arrangement........Floyd, you a truly a renaissance man!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/14/20 08:12 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hi Floyd ...

Alan

Alan - That's some pretty heady company to be listed in (even it IS an exaggeration!! smile )

I got to meet Harlan at his office - of the publishing company that he and his wife had (I was there for a writing appointment with their only staff writer). Spoke with him briefly. So that was a cool opportunity...

Floyd ...

I don't think that's an exaggeration at all. It's what I truly believe. I never met Harlan Howard but Jan Howard, one of his five or six wives, is from West Plains, Missouri. My sister lives just three miles from where she grew up. Also, you probably know, Porter Wagoner was from West Plains.

Anyway, I still say you belong in that group. I'll gladly stand by that opinion.

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/15/20 02:00 PM
Originally Posted By: TexasFrets
Lovely song. Great arrangement and beautiful vocals.

Thanks, Todd!!

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Man, I love your vocal on this! You are doing something different with the processing I think than you normally use? Sounds fabulous.

Drums sound great, the kick is right where it should be, toms and snare too; you get more out of realdrums than most.

I also like the strings, cool that you did that via midi controller. I really need to learn about midi one of these days wink

And of course great writing too!

Really enjoyed this one, floyd, listened a few times.

I appreciate all of that, Dave.

The vocal processing is actually my "old" setup. It was recorded using an Aphex 107 pre-amp and then run through an Alesis 3630 compressor. Then added Studio One plugins - EQ, compressor, reverb, delay. Some time ago, I changed to running through the Focusrite (Scarlett) and using mainly Nectar vocal setups (presets with a bit of tweaking). You made me consider trying that old setup again (just recorded a new song using it)...so thanks for the nudge...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/16/20 11:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi floyd,

I haven't been into the forum for a while.

What a song to come back to! This is stunning. The melody flows along so beautifully and your vocals carry this musical journey with the sound of authenticity that is only possessed by those who have spent decades practising and refining their talent. In addition, your 'band' is the perfect backing ensemble.

To my ears, this song sounded like it belongs in a stage show. In my head, the male protagonist is singing to a picture of his girlfriend/wife and making a commitment to himself that he will travel whatever road this love of his takes him. Moreover, he is reaffirming that he is 100% committed to his partner unconditionally. (The world would certainly be a much better place if we could all learn how to love one another unconditionally.)

From start to end, you kept me travelling along with a smile on my face and a warm feeling in my heart.

I sincerely appreciated listening to you sing this excellent composition.

All the best,
Noel

Noel - It is great to see you pop in to the Showcase again... You are missed! Thanks for such a fine review. I always enjoy reading your thoughts... Here's hoping you are well and happy!...

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Floyd,

Something different here! A ballad with very strong vocals and very nice strings in it.
Very nice composition and arrangement!

And the way you did this all was intriguing: bottle of red, bottle of white...
Good days must be coming soon, after this sound!

A nice day,
Hans

Thanks, Hans. I appreciate that... we shall fill our glasses and toast the coming good times...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/16/20 11:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,
A simply beautiful write; direct and heartfelt with those nice details of the first verse drawing in to big chorus declarations.
The strings work for me- thanks for putting up the link.
I agree with other listeners reminded of great pop and country balladeers; your vocal communicates that well.

Robert

Thanks for all of that, Robert. Much appreciated...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/17/20 11:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Ronnie Fields
A very smooth ballad, I love the mix the way the electric piano and strings come in, and the harmony is spot on!!

Thanks, Ronnie.

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Sweet song. Touching. Well crafted and well written. Nice vocal delivery. The strings are pretty. Good job.

jpt3 - That's a very nice, to-the-point review... Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
FJ,
Very nice vocals!
E. piano works great on it. Radio quality stuff! BBC strings work well, but I think they stand out a bit loud in places. Nice work on arrangement! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. I followed Hugh post too and got the same package. Did not get to play much with it, but the quality of some instruments are amazing.

Thanks, Misha. You'll enjoy the BBC Orchestra, I'm sure! (The levels are a bit difficult to control...I am still trying to get a handle on that - I do not work with MIDI very often, so a lot of it is new to me...)
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/17/20 07:46 PM
You've mentioned Bread before, this gave me a David Gates vibe throughout. I had to think about why, I finally decided because it was a little more melodic than your usual offerings. I'd love to hear more like this, one of them could turn out to be that big hit you deserve so much.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/17/20 11:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Like many of your songs, how one "takes it" depends on how one takes it in. I'm not the "guy" in your song. I'm not the "lady" either. We are not the couple in this song. Yet--somehow almost magical--I find myself at the table.

Song, vocal, arrangement all strong. Nice repeated vocal hook. Great package.

Thanks, Tangmo. You are welcome at the table any time... smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/18/20 12:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Bawb
Hi Floyd,

This is a really well-written song. I can really see the whole thing unfold as you sing the words.
The best way I can describe this song is like biting into a Werther's Candy and a sharp piece sticking you in the side of your gum. Kind of sweet, but kinda brings a tear to your eye.
Thanks for posting it...

Thanks, Bawb! Love that description! HA! Those Werther's always stick my teeth together when I bite down...

Originally Posted By: furry
Floyd, this is a cracker of a song. Really great powerful vocals. This has to be my favourite of your songs to date. It doesn't remind me of anyone else, it's got your stamp on it, A BEAUTY !!

Very nice of you to say, Graham... Thanks.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Dang, you can really sell a song with your vocals.

i still believe love lasts forever

That's one heck of a write - grabs the heart, wrenches it out, and stomps it to bits. laugh

And those strings are really effective. Still waiting for mine to show up.

Thanks for all of that, David. I was waiting to see your reaction to the strings - since you do them well... Please feel free to comment "deeper" (as I continue this path) if you have any "concerns" or suggestions for improvement...
Posted By: jannesan Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/18/20 12:54 PM
Very beautiful and timeless melody and chording, gives 60's/70's feeling which is highlighted with those perfect sounding strings. I can imagine this sung by Rod Stewart and mixed lighter, but works very well as a modern version too. Classic songwriting with the simple message delivered well.

Janne
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/19/20 11:07 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
With each song post, you never disappoint.

Such bittersweet lyrics. Your vocal is on another level here...Superbly done.

Thanks, Scott...

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Well, Ray beat us to the mention of Glen Campbell. That was Janice’s first comment.

So on your last tune you introduced a lot of folks to your blues playing and now an example of your midi chops — a skillset that defies and will continue to defy us smile

Janice likes the “swell” of the strings. Bud said that’s what they are supposed to do. Janice says they work really well on this song!

The drums are superb.

The juxtaposing of I’ll be the one and she’ll be the one is a fine example of how a different slant can so well carry a lyric. Seems easy but we’ve learned enough to know that isn’t the case. Simply a wonderful write.

Your vocal … what to say? Yet another example of your stellar chops.

Most excellent mr jane!

J&B

Thanks for those very nice comments. You know I appreciate them... smile

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
You sure have the knack of delivering quality material - every time.
This is no exception. Starts off perfect and then continues to get better.

Fantastic.

Always pleased to see you drop by, Trev. Thanks for the nice words...
Posted By: beatmaster Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/19/20 08:00 PM
Excellent Floyd your already on the BBC strings and using them in the latest hit !!, there is a post on how many hours or something like that, you get to do Music !!. you got to be on this full time, toto be earning the respect (quite justifiably ) you get on this forum.

Well I for one are grateful that you do as you do inspire us all to do more !!.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/20/20 11:34 AM
Originally Posted By: cliftond
Very nice song Floyd, it has all the right touches and your vocal embellishes it. Not really my style, but, excellent indeed!!! Cliff

Cliff - thanks for having a listen...

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
This is PURE CLASS!!!! If I were teaching songwriting, I would play this as an example of how to do it right!! Clever, but just clever enough to catch the imagination and not get self indulgent. Classic songwriting a la Diane Warren, Burt Bacharach, and company! And, quite a lovely vocal and arrangement........Floyd, you a truly a renaissance man!!! Take care. Greg

Greg - how could I not like these comments ?!?!?! smile ...YOU are in a class all to yourself!!

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hi Floyd ...

Alan

Floyd ...

I don't think that's an exaggeration at all. It's what I truly believe. I never met Harlan Howard but Jan Howard, one of his five or six wives, is from West Plains, Missouri. My sister lives just three miles from where she grew up. Also, you probably know, Porter Wagoner was from West Plains.

Anyway, I still say you belong in that group. I'll gladly stand by that opinion.

Alan

That is, truly, nice of you to say, Alan. Hope you guys are doing well...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/21/20 12:00 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
You've mentioned Bread before, this gave me a David Gates vibe throughout. I had to think about why, I finally decided because it was a little more melodic than your usual offerings. I'd love to hear more like this, one of them could turn out to be that big hit you deserve so much.

Thanks, TM. Had not occurred to me that this had a Bread flavor (HA!), but now that you mention it, I can hear a bit of that... As I get older, I get less melodic.

smile

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very beautiful and timeless melody and chording, gives 60's/70's feeling which is highlighted with those perfect sounding strings. I can imagine this sung by Rod Stewart and mixed lighter, but works very well as a modern version too. Classic songwriting with the simple message delivered well.

Janne

Janne - thanks for the nice comments. (If you run into Rod, let him know this is waiting for him! smile )

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Excellent Floyd your already on the BBC strings and using them in the latest hit !!, there is a post on how many hours or something like that, you get to do Music !!. you got to be on this full time, toto be earning the respect (quite justifiably ) you get on this forum.

Well I for one are grateful that you do as you do inspire us all to do more !!.

Thanks, beatmaster... music is what I love...so I do it all the time!! smile
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/21/20 07:56 PM
Rack up another Floyd Jane classic! You are such an awesome songsmith man! It's a beautiful tune deserving of a large audience! Great work with those strings! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: floyd jane Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 06/22/20 11:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Rack up another Floyd Jane classic! You are such an awesome songsmith man! It's a beautiful tune deserving of a large audience! Great work with those strings! Thanks, Torrey

I appreciate that, Torrey. Thanks for stopping in for a listen...
Posted By: Will Josef Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 07/15/20 09:49 PM
I like the lyrics and I really like your choices as a producer. The strings from BBC sounds really good in this context. Very well done!

Will
Posted By: Angelomusic Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 09/08/20 11:23 AM
OH wow!! I LOVED that song! Rich and full sounding, great mix, and awesome voice! Your sensitivity transpires in that song. Really comes from the gut, clearly!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 09/10/20 12:39 PM
Good God, man. ALWAYS such a good write, a good story, and an outstanding presentation. You have the magic, FLoyd, and the magic has you and she'll never say goodbye. Thankfully.
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: She'll Have To Be The One - 10/16/20 02:40 AM
A lovely, tender ballad sung with feeling. Great mix and arrangement.
© PG Music Forums