PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude I Fall for a Dream - 06/06/20 12:22 PM
This is a song written by Chris, she sent us the vocal and piano part and we developed it from there:

I Fall for a Dream

The band:

I'm playing the lead guitar parts and built the drum track using EZDrummer2

Piano: Chris Spruit
Bass: Marty Straub

RealTracks in song: 869:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernRnBRockWarmA-B Ev 065 (*2)
RealTracks in song: 2875:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AmericanaTremoloSlow128Colin Sw 040

Mixed in Reaper, mastered with Ozone 9, all details available on request.

I Fall for a Dream - Christiane Spruit, 2020

when I close my eyes
dreams fall over me
falling like leaves and asleep
in the arms of a slow swinging branch of a tree
the eye in the sky
looks downward to find us,
don't you worry to be seen
we're finding a place in between
surrender and say
nothing comes close to a dream
when I seek in my mind
words are hard to find
quote of a book, that I found
truly in seeking the shadow of doubt
all that we can do
all that we could but never do
Through all these songs of another winter blues
and what is the use of all this fall?
many more to come till I'm done with 'em all
somewhere in between
I fall for a dream
don't you worry to be seen
we're finding a place in-between
I fall for a dream

Also up on soundcloud: I fall for a dream

And youtube (Marty did the video):

As always we welcome all comments smile

06/07: tweaked the kick drum as per a suggestion from rayc
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/06/20 04:55 PM
Blue Attitude,
Wow, you move fast! Excellent teamwork! This has a very nice modern R&B swing. Vocals, arrangement, everything is top grade. Marty sounds very good, like he played with you for years. Dave, such a cool solo!! Enjoyed it a lot! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/06/20 07:38 PM

This is a great song Dave! Wonderful job you guys.

Outstanding lyrics, music and parts. Great mix. Love it.

Chris is singing her heart out.
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/06/20 08:57 PM
WOW what a fantastic song! The guitar was outstanding, as usual, but Chris's vocal took it over the top. Outstanding mix. Outstanding song.
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/07/20 12:08 AM
Lovely. Love the piano playing Sweet vocals. Nice lyrics. Bass work is good and mixed in well. Soaring electric guitar (probably the most thrilling sound known to man) is, well, thrilling.

Good work everyone
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/07/20 12:34 AM
Lyrics really took me in. (don't you worry to be seen, we're finding a place in between) Nice to hear that. Guitars complemented perfectly. One of my favorites from you.
Posted By: Chris Dent Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/07/20 01:57 AM
Wow. This track led me to listen to your other tracks on reverbnation and everything there is really excellent.
Posted By: rayc Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/07/20 06:51 AM
This is wonderful...fast and fabulous.
Yuo know what I'd probably say about the kick drum.
In terms or vocal performance I though
"don't you worry to be seen
we're finding a place in between"
sounded rushed and uncertain.
I know we speak different versions of the same language but the pronunciation of a as a hard vowel in "...A dream" seemed wrong/jarring as it's not really the casual use as demonstrated in the rest of the lyric.
Now, that's me, someone who speaks a different version of the language so ignore as you see fit.
Again, wonderful song very quickly assembled ...perhaps a few more breathes needed.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/07/20 10:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Blue Attitude,
Marty sounds very good, like he played with you for years.
Misha.

Thanks, Misha. One of the coolest things about "hanging out" with these guys is watching the magic, the creativity back and forth. We each had a "working" version, and I in my home laid down a bass while Dave in his was laying down a guitar part. You're right. When mix master Dave put them together it does sound like we knew what the other was doing.

Chris' voice is sooo captivating. Rayc, I always appreciate the depth of your listening and your encouraging comments. Yesterday when I played this song for a bunch o' folks, they all gravitated to her phrasing, and they LOVED the way it sounded like she was saying "I fall for a heat dream." So, yes, an amazing guitar, as jpt3 says "probably the most thrilling sound known to man", can make or break the final mix, it's phrasing like that that will always elevate the song to a higher level.
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/07/20 11:20 AM
This song doesn't open fully on its first listening, because it has so many interesting elements. Thus, it's a pleasure to listen to several times to get used to the winding melody, the beautiful chording and the dreamy lyrics. The tremolo guitar creates a nice basis for the mood. The guitar solo is simply lovely. Chris's vocal performance is full of enjoyable nuances.

Janne
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/07/20 11:29 AM
Chris, Dave, Marty...

I'll just be repeating myself... everything y'all are doing these days is simply Pro Level at every turn.

The write.
The vocal.
The arrangement.
The production.
The mix.
The bass.
The guitar.

Love that clean-with-bite tone on the guitar. And, Dave, I've said it before...your leads are ALWAYS so MUSICAL - and perfect for the song - supportive, never flash-for-the-sake-of-flash.

This is one of those songs that you don't pay too much attention to the first time you listen through the album - because there are so many amazing songs! - but, then, end up as your favorite from the record and the reason you return to it many, many time over many, many years.

SO good.

fj
Posted By: Birchwood Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/07/20 05:44 PM
Hi Dave, Chris and Marty,

I loved this one very much! Beautiful everything (the vocals, the piano, the bass, the leadguitar, the lyrics, the melody)!
And I enjoyed Marty's post in which he writes how you come to the finishing of the song. I had something similair when working with Joanna Cooper some time ago. so I can imagine how much energy this way of working can give, especially when the result is so brilliant as yours!

Hat off!!!
Hans
Posted By: PeterF Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/08/20 04:01 AM
Dave, Chris, Marty

Wonderful!

Peter

Oh yeah, and the vocal bass and guitars were all spot on. Dave some lyrical playing loved it, Chris superb vocals, and Marty excellent complementary playing.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/08/20 10:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Blue Attitude,
Wow, you move fast! Excellent teamwork! This has a very nice modern R&B swing. Vocals, arrangement, everything is top grade. Marty sounds very good, like he played with you for years. Dave, such a cool solo!! Enjoyed it a lot! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Well, the next one won't be for a while, Christiane is going on vacation until the end of June.

Yeah, Marty is great to work with, perfect match personality wise. Great player too of course! He is also doing bass tracks for all the previous songs we did this year and I'm slowly updating the mixes.

Thanks for your comments, Misha, I appreciate it smile
Posted By: Robertkc Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/08/20 12:55 PM
Dave,Chris, Marty,

This has that subtle, wandering, never quite resolved quality that begs further listens-
its a wonderful "sleeper" of a rock ballad!
Absolutely top level guitar accompaniment serving the song so well... and I could listen to Chris sing the phone book so its icing that she write good lyrics!
(that "A" rather than "uh" dream sounds right to me, btw).
Brilliant Blue Attitude.

Robert
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/09/20 01:46 AM
Wow. What a great song. It's true - this is a song that doesn't hit you instantly, but when it does, you're gone! I definitely recommend a second listen to take it in. Yes - same things others already stated. Thank you for what wonderful musical journey - it made my evening.
Posted By: Scott C Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/09/20 12:24 PM
Very cool song. Awesome feel to the song. Love this when a song can feel like it goes right through you. Loved the vocal and lyric. Guitar was a perfect compliment to the vocal. Martys bass gave the song such a smooth flowing feel. Well done
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/09/20 09:00 PM
I am really loving the guitar in this! Vocals,lyrics, production, and Marty on bass are all superb. Another good'un out of your production house.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/09/20 09:32 PM
Dave, Chris and Marty:

Stunning . . . beyond measure . . . simply stunning. I had read the lyrics first and wasn’t quite sure how that long 4th line would fit in a melody, but you’ve done that flawlessly. The production is as perfect and professional as a mix could be. Chris’s vocal, the solo lead . . . everything is just, just, just superb!

My very humble regards,

Deej
Posted By: ROG Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/10/20 07:51 AM
HI there Dave, Chris and Marty,

Fabulous song.

I love Chris's voice on everything she's done and this was sung beautifully with
stacks of emotion in there. Nice piano too!

Great bass again from Marty - playing exactly what's needed.

Super guitar from Dave, great phrasing in all the right places and a sweet tone.

Excellent.

ROG.
Posted By: molsenhouse Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/10/20 08:00 AM
Dave – that was just GREAT! Loved the production and your lead guitar.

Chris – a wonderful song! Great voice, piano, lyric and melody.

Marty: It's all about the bass! Well done.

One more thing: Dave, do you use the same drum kit from EZDrummer2 in your Blue Attitude-productions?

If I was the producer, I would try to build the drums from a BiaB-track, and then put on extra snare and cymbals. And of course customize the fills. In the general mix I would adjust the EQ on the snare from 1.50 and push it backwards. In my ears it sounds too loud and bright – competing with the great vocal and the guitars.

Keep on the good work!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/11/20 07:06 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

This is a great song Dave! Wonderful job you guys.

Outstanding lyrics, music and parts. Great mix. Love it.

Chris is singing her heart out.

Thanks, David! Loved your latest.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
WOW what a fantastic song! The guitar was outstanding, as usual, but Chris's vocal took it over the top. Outstanding mix. Outstanding song.

Appreciate that, Mario, thanks!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/11/20 05:02 PM
The A team drops another great tune and we are the better for it.

The first thing that came to mind was "ethereal gospel" -- perhaps
y'all have created a new genre smile

Chris' write, vocal and piano are all standout..simply excellent.

Dave, you never fail to nail the feel of a song with your playing with the
ability to play cool and complex solos yet never failing to support the
rest of the band.

Marty, hearing bass played for the specific song is something we don't hear
on the forum very often and, man, you do it well.

The vide was very nice. We listened to the audio first and were amazed at how
the imagery seemed to dovetail with our reaction to the audio.

Janice also mentioned that it had a very cinematic feel. For reasons, I guess, best
known to her smile she was imagining scenes from the book "Dune."

Outstanding y'all!

J&B
Posted By: Leon1 Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/11/20 07:56 PM
I certainly fell for this dream of a song. Yet another top quality production from the team.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/12/20 06:51 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Lovely. Love the piano playing Sweet vocals. Nice lyrics. Bass work is good and mixed in well. Soaring electric guitar (probably the most thrilling sound known to man) is, well, thrilling.

Good work everyone

Thanks for the listen and comments!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Lyrics really took me in. (don't you worry to be seen, we're finding a place in between) Nice to hear that. Guitars complemented perfectly. One of my favorites from you.

Yes, Chris has a way with words, that's for sure. Thanks!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/12/20 10:18 AM
Another perfect example of the versatility that your BlueAttitude continuously delivers.

Such an enjoyable listen. Musically classy, with quality throughout.
Posted By: cliftond Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/12/20 10:27 AM
You guys did a nice job on this. Chris is an excellent vocalist, and the song is just right. I thoroughly enjoy it!!! Cliff
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/13/20 06:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Chris Dent
Wow. This track led me to listen to your other tracks on reverbnation and everything there is really excellent.

Thanks very much! I also checked you out, I really like your style of playing.

Originally Posted By: rayc
This is wonderful...fast and fabulous.
Yuo know what I'd probably say about the kick drum.
In terms or vocal performance I though
"don't you worry to be seen
we're finding a place in between"
sounded rushed and uncertain.
I know we speak different versions of the same language but the pronunciation of a as a hard vowel in "...A dream" seemed wrong/jarring as it's not really the casual use as demonstrated in the rest of the lyric.
Now, that's me, someone who speaks a different version of the language so ignore as you see fit.
Again, wonderful song very quickly assembled ...perhaps a few more breathes needed.

Hi Ray,

I like the "A" instead of "a" myself, matter of opinion I guess.

For the "don't you worry to be seen, we're finding a place in between" line, it was my decision to leave that phrasing in there.
For this song she gave me two vocal takes, and the first time she sang it straight. The first time I heard it I didn't like it at all and was going to swap it out, but then it started to grow on me after listening a few times. For me it sounds delicate and vulnerable and fits the mood of the piece.
But, as with all these songs the final decision is not made until it is time to do a new CD, and we will revisit at that time with fresh ears smile

Thanks for pointing out the problem with the kick, I know more or less how to fix it, also thanks to you, but sometimes I forget because my ears are just not good enough to be able to hear it myself wink
Posted By: musician17 Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/13/20 08:14 AM
Wonderful. Just wonderful. Not much more to say, is there? Well done, every single one of you ... with a special mention to Christiane, superb singing and writing.
Posted By: furry Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/14/20 11:55 AM
simply fabulous song. Chris, your voice is stunning and deserves to be in the charts. Everything about this song just oozes quality from the first to the last beat. I LOVE IT WELL DONE
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/14/20 06:43 PM
Love it!! I can just get lost in that beat, and the sweet vocals, and tasty guitar licks are hypnotic!! REALLY. GOOD STUFF!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/15/20 07:24 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
This song doesn't open fully on its first listening, because it has so many interesting elements. Thus, it's a pleasure to listen to several times to get used to the winding melody, the beautiful chording and the dreamy lyrics. The tremolo guitar creates a nice basis for the mood. The guitar solo is simply lovely. Chris's vocal performance is full of enjoyable nuances.

Janne

Thanks, Janne!

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Chris, Dave, Marty...

I'll just be repeating myself... everything y'all are doing these days is simply Pro Level at every turn.

The write.
The vocal.
The arrangement.
The production.
The mix.
The bass.
The guitar.

Love that clean-with-bite tone on the guitar. And, Dave, I've said it before...your leads are ALWAYS so MUSICAL - and perfect for the song - supportive, never flash-for-the-sake-of-flash.

This is one of those songs that you don't pay too much attention to the first time you listen through the album - because there are so many amazing songs! - but, then, end up as your favorite from the record and the reason you return to it many, many time over many, many years.

SO good.

fj

I try and keep it melodic instead of just playing licks whenever I can, thanks for picking up on that smile

And thanks as always for your support, it is appreciated!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/16/20 05:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Dave, Chris and Marty,

I loved this one very much! Beautiful everything (the vocals, the piano, the bass, the leadguitar, the lyrics, the melody)!
And I enjoyed Marty's post in which he writes how you come to the finishing of the song. I had something similair when working with Joanna Cooper some time ago. so I can imagine how much energy this way of working can give, especially when the result is so brilliant as yours!

Hat off!!!
Hans

Thanks very much, Hans, I appreciate that!

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave, Chris, Marty

Wonderful!

Peter

Oh yeah, and the vocal bass and guitars were all spot on. Dave some lyrical playing loved it, Chris superb vocals, and Marty excellent complementary playing.

Cheers, Peter!

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Dave,Chris, Marty,

This has that subtle, wandering, never quite resolved quality that begs further listens-
its a wonderful "sleeper" of a rock ballad!
Absolutely top level guitar accompaniment serving the song so well... and I could listen to Chris sing the phone book so its icing that she write good lyrics!
(that "A" rather than "uh" dream sounds right to me, btw).
Brilliant Blue Attitude.

Robert

Thanks for the kind words, Robert!
Posted By: cliftond Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/16/20 12:18 PM
WOW, this is just a beautiful song, vocal is perfect, instruments so well done, Plum Pure Perfect as John Anderson would say. Cliff
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/17/20 06:16 AM
Originally Posted By: EdZ314
Wow. What a great song. It's true - this is a song that doesn't hit you instantly, but when it does, you're gone! I definitely recommend a second listen to take it in. Yes - same things others already stated. Thank you for what wonderful musical journey - it made my evening.

Can't ask for more than that, thanks, Ed!

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool song. Awesome feel to the song. Love this when a song can feel like it goes right through you. Loved the vocal and lyric. Guitar was a perfect compliment to the vocal. Martys bass gave the song such a smooth flowing feel. Well done

Thanks for the listen and kind words, Scott!

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I am really loving the guitar in this! Vocals,lyrics, production, and Marty on bass are all superb. Another good'un out of your production house.

Appreciate the listen and comments!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/18/20 06:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Dave, Chris and Marty:

Stunning . . . beyond measure . . . simply stunning. I had read the lyrics first and wasn’t quite sure how that long 4th line would fit in a melody, but you’ve done that flawlessly. The production is as perfect and professional as a mix could be. Chris’s vocal, the solo lead . . . everything is just, just, just superb!

My very humble regards,

Deej

Thanks very much, Deej!

Originally Posted By: ROG
HI there Dave, Chris and Marty,

Fabulous song.

I love Chris's voice on everything she's done and this was sung beautifully with
stacks of emotion in there. Nice piano too!

Great bass again from Marty - playing exactly what's needed.

Super guitar from Dave, great phrasing in all the right places and a sweet tone.

Excellent.

ROG.

Cheers, ROG! Love your latest!

Originally Posted By: molsenhouse
Dave – that was just GREAT! Loved the production and your lead guitar.

Chris – a wonderful song! Great voice, piano, lyric and melody.

Marty: It's all about the bass! Well done.

One more thing: Dave, do you use the same drum kit from EZDrummer2 in your Blue Attitude-productions?

If I was the producer, I would try to build the drums from a BiaB-track, and then put on extra snare and cymbals. And of course customize the fills. In the general mix I would adjust the EQ on the snare from 1.50 and push it backwards. In my ears it sounds too loud and bright – competing with the great vocal and the guitars.

Keep on the good work!

I haven't settled on a kit to use with EZD2 yet, still experimenting trying different things.

But overall I prefer it over BIAB drums because I have control over each individual piece of the kit as far as EQ/FX goes, plus more flexibility where I put fills etc.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/20/20 06:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
The A team drops another great tune and we are the better for it.

The first thing that came to mind was "ethereal gospel" -- perhaps
y'all have created a new genre smile

Chris' write, vocal and piano are all standout..simply excellent.

Dave, you never fail to nail the feel of a song with your playing with the
ability to play cool and complex solos yet never failing to support the
rest of the band.

Marty, hearing bass played for the specific song is something we don't hear
on the forum very often and, man, you do it well.

The vide was very nice. We listened to the audio first and were amazed at how
the imagery seemed to dovetail with our reaction to the audio.

Janice also mentioned that it had a very cinematic feel. For reasons, I guess, best
known to her smile she was imagining scenes from the book "Dune."

Outstanding y'all!

J&B

Thanks you two!

"Dune"! Very cool, I read all those books, was a big fan of sci-fi back in the day.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/20/20 06:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
I certainly fell for this dream of a song. Yet another top quality production from the team.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks, Leon!

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Another perfect example of the versatility that your BlueAttitude continuously delivers.

Such an enjoyable listen. Musically classy, with quality throughout.

Thanks for the listen and comment, Trev!

Originally Posted By: cliftond
You guys did a nice job on this. Chris is an excellent vocalist, and the song is just right. I thoroughly enjoy it!!! Cliff

Cheers, Cliff!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/21/20 06:48 AM
Originally Posted By: musician17
Wonderful. Just wonderful. Not much more to say, is there? Well done, every single one of you ... with a special mention to Christiane, superb singing and writing.

Thanks for the listen and comments!

Originally Posted By: furry
simply fabulous song. Chris, your voice is stunning and deserves to be in the charts. Everything about this song just oozes quality from the first to the last beat. I LOVE IT WELL DONE

Happy you liked this, thanks, Graham!

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Love it!! I can just get lost in that beat, and the sweet vocals, and tasty guitar licks are hypnotic!! REALLY. GOOD STUFF!!! Take care. Greg

Cheers, Greg!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/21/20 07:38 PM
Beautiful track Dave and Chris! Loved that piano! The guitar solo is lovely! I like Chris's more mellow approach to the vocal on this, it really works well! Thanks, Torrey.
Posted By: Al-David Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/22/20 03:23 AM
Man ... how lucky are we to get to hear this fabulous song! Chris is such an emotional and perceptive vocalist. What I mean by perceptive here is that she has an uncanny ability to perceive what the vocal should sound like in the ears of the listener. And wow, does she ever deliver!

Marty ... you are a very good example why a bass even exists! You expertly capture the needed aura of every song you play on ... excellent!

Dave ... I think it's all been said about your guitar excellence. So, I'll risk redundancy and say that is is such a sweet sound you always deliver.

That was a terrific listen. Thanks for the pleasure!

Wishing all of you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: I Fall for a Dream - 06/22/20 09:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Beautiful track Dave and Chris! Loved that piano! The guitar solo is lovely! I like Chris's more mellow approach to the vocal on this, it really works well! Thanks, Torrey.

Thanks, Torrey! I see you have a new one up, I'll be along shortly to give it a spin wink

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Man ... how lucky are we to get to hear this fabulous song! Chris is such an emotional and perceptive vocalist. What I mean by perceptive here is that she has an uncanny ability to perceive what the vocal should sound like in the ears of the listener. And wow, does she ever deliver!

Marty ... you are a very good example why a bass even exists! You expertly capture the needed aura of every song you play on ... excellent!

Dave ... I think it's all been said about your guitar excellence. So, I'll risk redundancy and say that is is such a sweet sound you always deliver.

That was a terrific listen. Thanks for the pleasure!

Wishing all of you the very best. Be safe ...

Alan

Thanks very much, Alan!
Posted By: Will Josef Re: I Fall for a Dream - 07/15/20 09:43 PM
What a fantastic well-produced and wonderful song! It was a joy listening to this.
We are all lucky that you share your talent with us here.

Thanks a lot!

Will
© PG Music Forums