PG Music Home
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/08/20 05:26 PM
Whole Lotta Stupid

In the United States, the Federal Communications Commission used to have a rule known as the Fairness Doctrine that basically required radio and television broadcast stations to present controversial issues in an "honest, fair, and equitable" manner. It's too bad we don't have a similar regulation today that applies not only to traditional broadcast stations, but also to cable and satellite stations. Then, perhaps, we would have less of this inanity and insanity coming from both sides of the political spectrum. In the spirit of this defunct policy, I am presenting myself as an equal opportunity mocker in this song.

Real Tracks:
RT1683 Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm PopPromise
RT1525 Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopPowerPushDirty
RT3361 Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BritClassicRock70s
RT1011 Bass, Electric, BritInvasion
RealDrums-RockTexas^1-HiHat,OpenHat
RT422 Guitar, Electric, Soloist Blues
RT1943 Synth, Rhythm, EuroDance Strings
RT2306 Synth, Rhythm BubblegumPopAccentSynth
RT1748 Synth, Rhythm ModernDancePopRaveMajestic
RT1944 Synth, Rhythm, EuroDance WhinyPan
RT3323 Vocal Mmms, Background RockNRollGospel12-8BassDbl
RT3322 Vocal Mmms, Background RockNRollGospel12-8BariDbl
RT3324 Vocal Mmms, Background RockNRollGospel12-8Tenor2Dbl
RT3315 Vocal Mmms, Background RockNRollGospel12-8Tenor1Dbl

Lyrics:

Nazi freaks and libtards
A fifty-foot fence in my backyard
Snowflakes, homophobes
Aliens and their anal probes

It’s a whole lotta stupid

Everybody anything goes
See how my tolerance shows
I’m open minded through and through
As long as you all just think like I do

If you’re left, you’re not right
If you’re right, you are wrong
If you’re anything but white
Don’t come here ‘cause you don’t belong
Stupid

What’s a few dollars with a few deaths
The sanctity of life in the same breath
Arrogance and ignorance
Choking on mental flatulence

Hoaxes, conspiracy theories
Reporters with their “nasty” queries
Save this democracy
From exponential idiocy

If you’re left, you’re not right
If you’re right, you are wrong
If you’re anything but white
Don’t come here ‘cause you don’t belong
Stupid

Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/08/20 09:56 PM
Scott,
Nice! I do not know whether to laugh or cry...
Great vocals, fun arrangement -> nice merger of synths and acoustics! Stops at ending are very effective. Excellent artistic reflection of current times. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/08/20 11:04 PM
Sort of your version of Tom Petty's "Quit Jamming Me." Danged if I don't feel you because I do. Sweet arrangement and powerful vocal that "lets it all out" the longer it goes. Great work on the lead guitar. Real Tracks? Outstanding, either way. Love the drops to silence...sweet, sweet silence...but alas, it's only a temporary reprieve. Really enjoyed this.
Posted By: RichMac Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/08/20 11:38 PM

Yes Yes and Yes!
Good one.
Cheers.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/09/20 12:12 AM
Nice production and vocals.

I'm not what to make of the stop and go ending. It's... different. But it certainly got my attention! smile
Posted By: Al-David Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/09/20 01:02 AM
Hi Ez ...

Di and I were talking about just a few days ago. And you hit the nail on the head! Stupid doesn't come with political or social labels ... it's just there or it isn't. And Washington seems to be pretty badly infected with it ... as are the social platforms. i cancelled my InstaGram and Facebook accounts almost three years ago ... don't miss them at all! Good job!

Best to you ... and be safe.

Alan
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/09/20 01:25 AM
You get points right off the bat for writing about current issues. Really did a great job hitting that chorus which is super strong and those guitar solos and licks in there really add some punch. I really like the way it moves and the infectious energy. Great work, and really impressive the way you too so many RealTracks and weaved them together into a cohesive whole.
Posted By: rayc Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/09/20 09:23 AM
The Federal Communications Commission rule known as the Fairness Doctrine was erased by Regan in a deal with Rupert Murdoch. Rupert got US Citizenship and a free hand as well as the right to buy upp US media at a colossal rate. Regan received, in return, a guaranteed bias in the media Murdoch owned...still applies now.
Who'd have thought that Idicocracy was a prescient movie.
FUN song, you've captured the words , phrases and nuances of the last three years or so very well.
I liked the stops and the expectation they created and then didn't meet.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/09/20 11:56 AM
I can tell you've been watching the TV recently and probably a bit too much.

I like it. The song that is.... not the stupidity I see on the TV
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/09/20 09:31 PM
Ezekiel,

I generally avoid commenting on sensitive topics on the internet, but I share a longing for the days when the news stuck to “Who, What, When, Where and Why” and tried to communicate events to the masses with some balance. What would Walter Cronkite think of all this, I wonder? Now, when I’m even inclined to read the news, I have to read multiple sources and then try to discern what little truth may or may not lie somewhere in between. Sad.

Anyway, the song is terrific—nice beat and rhythm guitar really propels it forward. Not sure why I’m hearing a Bowie feel, but for me it has it in spades. And it’s a good hook. I’m not sure I like the stop and go at the end, but that last stop is effective, as as it wouldn’t work without the ones going before it, I get the rationale.

Really well done tune—enjoyed it!

All my best,

Deej
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/10/20 06:17 AM
Good song! Cool arrangement, good vocal and band.

Any the lyrics certainly rang true. I didn't know about that Fairness Doctrine rule, interesting!

Very well done, enjoyed.
Posted By: ROG Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/10/20 07:31 AM
Hi Ezeliel,

A great track which supports my longstanding view that we're all doomed.

Some very inventive stuff in the arrangement and I loved the interrupted ending
which sort of had it's own message.

Very clever, very true, but sad all the same.

Enjoyed the listen though.

ROG.
Posted By: molsenhouse Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/10/20 08:12 AM
That was a quite a ride, Ezekiel! The World still needs Rock'n Roll!!!

Cool merge of RealTracks with gospel mmm's, American rock with "british energy".

WELL DONE!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/10/20 12:18 PM
"What’s a few dollars with a few deaths
The sanctity of life in the same breath
Arrogance and ignorance
Choking on mental flatulence"

Strong stuff here indeed. Point on in a superbly creative manner.

As I (Bud) am fond of saying stupid is forever while ignorance has the possibility of remedy.

No need to parse this song out. We love everything about including:

- the strong vocal
- the choice of tracks
- the cool arrangement including the grab ya ending
- the in your face yet nuanced mix
- and the aforementioned write

Hmmm...guess we did just parse it out smile

Great work!

J&B
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/10/20 05:29 PM

Ezekiel,

Very funny. You should write more songs like this!

Very timely and very true.

Hey, if aliens move here is there a planet they are currently coming from that we can move to? Seems like a fair deal.

I will tell them they can have this one man.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/10/20 09:38 PM
Testify brother. I respect honesty from the heart. A difficult thing to do these days. Nice write.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/10/20 10:08 PM
Excellent write and a strong performance. Stupid, alas, is ever present and everywhere.
I think it was Deej who mentioned Bowie and to my ears your voice has a very similar quality in spots.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: PeterF Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/11/20 01:32 AM
Excellent lyric, and a really nice production - (interesting ending!).

Very well done in all respects - top notch.

Peter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/11/20 10:08 AM
Scott,

Excellent lyric. A whole lot of truth.

Good use of BIAB. The synths, in particular. Good mix. The stops are as effective as a profane tweet. smile

There is a David-Byrne-ish-ness to this. A good thing...

Well done.

fj
Posted By: rayc Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/11/20 06:43 PM
Wall of Voodoo vocal style.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/11/20 08:49 PM
Man, did you hit the nail right dead center with this song! A non-political political song, how in hell did you do that? Great lyrics sang perfectly.

This one gets two thumbs up!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/12/20 12:03 PM
Just finishing up the last week of school (the new distance learning type) and posting all my students' grades.

Misha, Tangmo, Rich, David, Alan, Ed, Ray, GuitarHacker, Deej, Dave, ROG, Molsen, Janice & Bud, David S., Bella, Leon, Peter, Floyd, and Mario:

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen to my song, posting a comment, sharing your kind words, and leaving constructive thoughts.

Scott
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/12/20 12:21 PM
Hi Ezekiel,

I wish that fairness doctrine also counts for presidents, but let me not get too impolite to (for me) foreign leaders.
Although your verse 'Hoaxes, conspiracy theories/ Reporters with their “nasty” queries/ Save this democracy/ From exponential idiocy, points in the same direction ;-)

Very strong lyrics in a song with a nice melody and a cool abrubt ending. and not to forget; a strong voice as well!
I hope in the real world that kind of ending will come soon for the one we both meant, but let's not get into politics here.

Stay safe in Virginia,
Hans
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/12/20 03:50 PM
Scott,
Angry and to the point- great energy in your vocal.Very good head spinning ending!
Wouldn`t it be cool to hear your students` response to this?

Robert
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/14/20 06:22 PM
A clever song, and very timely!! Indeed, A whole lotta stupid! The music is really interesting, and matches the sentiment very well!! COOL!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/16/20 09:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Ezekiel,

I wish that fairness doctrine also counts for presidents, but let me not get too impolite to (for me) foreign leaders.
Although your verse 'Hoaxes, conspiracy theories/ Reporters with their “nasty” queries/ Save this democracy/ From exponential idiocy, points in the same direction ;-)

Very strong lyrics in a song with a nice melody and a cool abrubt ending. and not to forget; a strong voice as well!
I hope in the real world that kind of ending will come soon for the one we both meant, but let's not get into politics here.

Stay safe in Virginia,
Hans

Thanks, Hans! I'm working on a song that deals with the subject of the 4th verse you quoted. Stay tuned.
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Scott,
Angry and to the point- great energy in your vocal.Very good head spinning ending!
Wouldn`t it be cool to hear your students` response to this?

Robert

Thanks, Robert. I would probably get into trouble if I promoted this song to them. :-)

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
A clever song, and very timely!! Indeed, A whole lotta stupid! The music is really interesting, and matches the sentiment very well!! COOL!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg!
Posted By: cliftond Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/16/20 12:13 PM
HA, so true and so good!!! seems there is no middle ground, everything is all left or all right. Great song that fits the times Cliff
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/16/20 12:54 PM
Excellent all the way around! Thank you for sharing.

...Deb
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/17/20 08:54 PM
Great singing, good song, I thought of Stuck in the Middle with you, lyrically. I always enjoy stuff like this and encourage more of them here on the forum.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/24/20 09:11 PM
Originally Posted By: cliftond
HA, so true and so good!!! seems there is no middle ground, everything is all left or all right. Great song that fits the times Cliff

Thanks, Cliff. I hope all is well in sweet home Alabama!

Originally Posted By: DSM
Excellent all the way around! Thank you for sharing.

...Deb

I appreciate the listen and the comment, Deb!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Great singing, good song, I thought of Stuck in the Middle with you, lyrically. I always enjoy stuff like this and encourage more of them here on the forum.

Thanks much. I've got another one in the same vain coming up in a few weeks.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/26/20 09:42 PM
Scott, you did an awesome job putting this production together! All kinds of wonderful things happening in here! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 06/27/20 12:14 PM
Well written, Ezekiel. Man, you are so right about "news". Money should not drive a slant to the truth. Anyway, back to your song. Such a smart title, and your vocal is superb as always. "Equal opportunity mocker." hehe. You must be a lot of fun at parties.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 01/08/21 06:56 AM
Oh boy, Scott - you posted this song during my absence from the forum due to health issues. But this song is a strong exhortation: Don't stay away from the forum, 'cause you might miss gems...

What a song... Of course the lyrics are the 'beef', but let me start with the music first: Adequate! What? I mean, I couldn't imagine any better way to present your message - just gorgeous ! What a drive! Love those guitar fills - awesome. Very, I mean VERY string vocals, too !!!!

And now the lyrics: You posted this song in August - it then reflected pretty much exactly the then situation. Not only in the US, of course, but there more than in any other important 'free' nation. Very hard to bear for anybody who has been pro-US all of his life. And there is no doubt that hardly anyone outside the US could and can understand what is going on there. Looks like 'A whole latta brainwashing' to me... And also 'A whole lotta blindness'...

January 6, 2021, is a date that will be forever remembered: 'A whole lotta violence' and having read the news this morning: 'A whole lotta hypocrisy'. Those poor Frankensteins - how in the world could they be fooled for so long... If they only had known...

Scott, a truly great and most impressive song !

All the best for 2021,

Stefan

Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 01/08/21 11:53 AM
Love it, Ezekiel. [and quite interesting comment by rayc about Reagan] Stupid is as stupid does, but who'd thunk stupid would get so prevalent. I once played in a band called Charlie's Stupid Band. His (then) 5 year old niece once asked, "Is Uncle Charlie playing with his stupid band?" She's now a senator.
Posted By: vicarn Re: Whole Lotta Stupid - 01/08/21 12:57 PM
I love the sentiment.
Good job all round.

Vic
© PG Music Forums