PG Music Home
Posted By: furry The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/14/20 04:31 PM
Every so often you come across a real gem of a song like I did a couple of nights ago. Kay's singing this song especially for all the King family in Newfoundland, and also all my other friends all over Canada.
I couldn't find any history on the song so I hope you all enjoy this little cracker...
Teccy bits

RealTracks in style: ~1121:Bass, Acoustic, CountryWaltz Sw 085
RealTracks in style: ~1126:Pedal Steel, Rhythm CountryWaltz Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 1815:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CelticSlowWaltz Ev 110
RealTracks in song: ~822:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Country Waltz Sw 085
RealTracks in song: 2858:Harmonica, Background CountryWaltzSlowJellyRoll Sw 085
RealDrums [in style:GypsyJazzWaltzSw: a: GypsyJazzWaltzSwb: GypsyJazzWaltzSw

Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/14/20 04:42 PM
Kay & Graham,

Nice job on this.

With headphones on it sounds like you are right here in the room with me..

fj
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/14/20 05:34 PM
A lovely played and sung waltz.

We enjoyed it!
Posted By: furry Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/14/20 08:25 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Kay & Graham,

Nice job on this.

With headphones on it sounds like you are right here in the room with me..

fj

Thanks Floyd, it really is a lovely, wish I knew more about it
Posted By: Keith44 Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/14/20 08:48 PM
Lovely - same tune as Cliff Richards "Girl in Your Arms"
Well done

Keith
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/14/20 10:07 PM
Graham & Kay,
Nicely done, especially considering live performance! I wish accordion would have a little more reverb. Newfoundland is very unusual and beautiful place.

P.S. Looks like the tune is traditional. Still, my favorite of all waltzes is Waves of the Danube. Perhaps your version one day? smile
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: furry Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/14/20 10:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
A lovely played and sung waltz.

We enjoyed it!

Hi thanks guys, hope you're both well ?
Posted By: furry Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/14/20 10:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Keith44
Lovely - same tune as Cliff Richards "Girl in Your Arms"
Well done

Keith

Hi Keith it's virtually the same, but if you listen more closely there's some subtle changes in the melody, so I'm wondering if THIS song was on the before Cliffs' one ?
Posted By: rayc Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/15/20 07:11 AM
Another cracker. Well done the dynamic duo!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/15/20 07:39 AM
I've heard this song before, I used to live on the east coast of Canada which has a very strong traditional folk scene. Lots of Scottish/Celtic influence there, especially in Nova Scotia.

Really nicely done, Graham! I enjoyed listening and watching the live performance.
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/15/20 12:02 PM
Lovely song Graham and Kay. Thank you for playing a tribute to the jewel we have on our east coast. Well done
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/15/20 02:35 PM
Graham,
Seabirds, fog and some of the friendliest folks I`ve ever met- such are my memories of the Newfies and their island. Thank you both for taking me back there!
Beautifully played and sung.

Robert
Posted By: furry Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/15/20 04:03 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Another cracker. Well done the dynamic duo!

Thanks Ray, Kay really is dead chuffed with all the comments
Posted By: furry Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/15/20 04:04 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I've heard this song before, I used to live on the east coast of Canada which has a very strong traditional folk scene. Lots of Scottish/Celtic influence there, especially in Nova Scotia.

Really nicely done, Graham! I enjoyed listening and watching the live performance.

Hi Dave thanks so much for watching and taking time to comment. Kay echos my voice as well
Posted By: furry Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/15/20 04:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Lovely song Graham and Kay. Thank you for playing a tribute to the jewel we have on our east coast. Well done

Thanks Scott, so glad everyone seems to like this
Posted By: furry Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/17/20 10:20 PM
Thanks Robert, Kays' dad was from Newfoundland, so this song had a lod of meaning for her. We've recently come into contact with a lot of them in Harrys' Harbour, she' was so delighted
Posted By: edshaw Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/24/20 11:25 AM
Quite a few Newfoundlanders have found their ways to Nantucket, following the Gulf Stream, fishing the Canyon. More so from Nova Scotia and the Maritimes, but still enough to leave their marks over the generations since the 1600's. Over time, they have retained a character that is distinguishable. Nice job on the waltz.
Posted By: furry Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/26/20 04:57 AM
Thanks Ed, interesting info too
Posted By: edshaw Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/29/20 02:43 PM
Graham: I was looking around to find your last name and noticed you and Kaye have over a million and one half views. Do you respond to all of them?
Posted By: furry Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/29/20 08:23 PM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Graham: I was looking around to find your last name and noticed you and Kaye have over a million and one half views. Do you respond to all of them?

Hi Ed I try to respond to everyone of them, but you tube isn't the best in notifying you when you've had a comment which is a shame for all the kind folk who've made comments.

My last name is Wilson by the way.
Some people call me a lot worse rofl
Posted By: Bawb Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/29/20 08:31 PM
Sir, I really have to tell you that whenever you post something, it is truly a calming treat to the ears.
It's almost as if you have a time machine hooked up to that accordion of yours. And your sweetheart sings all the right notes to pull the whole thing off. I know it's common for people to think that things were better in the old days, but you two just bring that small, faded picture back to living color even for a fleeing moment.
Thanks for posting...
Posted By: furry Re: The Newfoundland waltz sung by Kay - 06/30/20 06:21 AM
Awwwww what a lovely comment, thanks so much. If we can bring a few moments of calm during these horrible times then it's well worth it
Kay & Graham,

It's a very nice live performance.
Your expert accordion supports Kay's vocal properly.
The love of family is clearly transmitted.
Enjoyed my listen and watch a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
© PG Music Forums