PG Music Home
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Geography Blues - 06/19/20 10:44 PM

Hi Folks.
Here is my latest tune about some "common" perceptions and stereotypes of different places of the world. A word of warning to those who suffer from acute political correctness syndrome... This is just a satire, which is not targeted to diminish any of the amazing and beautiful countries mentioned.  Thank you for listening!

Geography Blues

America-mighty dollar, Australia way to far,
 North pole is where Santa is chillin in icy spa
Italy-Pizza party, Germany-sausage fest,
 Russia is where bears laying their spotted eggs    
Paris is peculiar, probably full of bogs,
as people like  eating there  slippery warty frogs.

China- that's where stuff "Made In", Guinea breeding pigs,
Machu Picchu is a pokemon hero or a state in the northern east.
Egypt is where mummy, Spain always fights the bull,
Switzerland full of money, Tokyo way too cool.
Sweden delicious meatballs, UK is covered in fog,
Romania Draculicious, Canada  chopping  logs

Africa - diamond mining and wondering lion king,
If you want a roasted duck, you better fly to Peking
Mexico hot burrito, romantic mariachi bands,
Malaysia is big on rubber...probably makes rubber bands.
Cuba - fine rolled tobacco, Ireland playing it's harp,
Coffee grows  in sunny Tobago, Singapore hunting sharks.

Tech stuff:
1434:Bass, Electric, JazzFunkPoppy Ev16 110
2636:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBluesRock Ev 110
2913:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryTrainBeatBrent12-key Ev16 090
1154:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Reggae Ev16 100
2431:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm NewOrleansMardiGrasKevin Ev16 085
377:Guitar, Resonator, Background Trav Ev 088
RealDrums:CountryShuffle68^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride
Lyrics, vocals: me.
Recorded & Mixed in Cakewalk.
Posted By: furry Re: Geography Blues - 06/19/20 11:38 PM
LOVE it Misha, unusual, but great fun song to listen to. It took me a couple of lines to get into the swing of it, but it's brilliant, just what we need these days. Thanks
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Geography Blues - 06/20/20 01:55 AM
Very cool. Well written. Great vocals too. I really like the vocals during the breaks. They are very effective Nice.
Posted By: chromator Re: Geography Blues - 06/20/20 05:26 AM
Haha, such fun lyrics. What time signature is that?
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Geography Blues - 06/20/20 07:05 AM
Hi Misha,

As always your music is so creative and unique!

Man, what you are doing with the vocal starting at 3:20 or so .... wild!

Loved this one.

One word summary: Brilliant!
Posted By: rayc Re: Geography Blues - 06/20/20 07:20 AM
FUN.
Great arrangement, infectious melody and terrific vocal performance.
Classic Rustyspoonerisms.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Geography Blues - 06/20/20 11:29 AM
Misha,

A clever trip around the world.

The Xabarovskiy Krai sound is becoming quite recognizable. Original, innovative, enjoyable.

Always worth several listens.

fj
Posted By: Al-David Re: Geography Blues - 06/20/20 02:37 PM
Hi Misha ...

I've done a lot of traveling in my years and fins everywhere I've been interesting in one way or another. And the perceptions will always remain, whether or not they're accurate.

I enjoyed your creative mash-up! Quite a few or them made me laugh or smile. Cool song in many ways! I enjoyed my listen very much!

Wishing you the best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Geography Blues - 06/20/20 04:23 PM
Hi Misha,

You're quite busy with your funny and very nice songs! This one is no exception on the funny lyrics you write.
But, I must say they are not only funny, but in the first place, clever made. How you play with the words, amazing, man!

The song/melody is very nice. A cool swing and the instruments all sound so bright. Hat off!

Nice day,
Hans
Posted By: PeterF Re: Geography Blues - 06/20/20 07:43 PM
Misha

Loved it - lyrics vocal arrangement -t the lot.

A great fun, engaging listen.

Peter
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Geography Blues - 06/20/20 09:06 PM
Scatolocious. Surprises around every bar. I think you've displayed more geographic knowledge than a lot of people I know and have known...maybe even a teacher or two. The coolest of backings and multi-vocals. I had a great time listening.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Geography Blues - 06/21/20 06:48 PM
Misha,
A fun musical whirl around the world in your zany head. Great ad libs and growly vocal surprises... some educational ones too ( spotted bear eggs in Russia? Canadians who still know how to chop logs?).
I nominate this as lighten up music to be played at UN soirees.

Robert
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Geography Blues - 06/22/20 12:14 AM
Graham,
Thank you for listening and kind words! It took me some time to get into the swing too smile
---
jptjptjpt,
Thank you for your support

---
chromator,
Thank you for listening. it is 4/4 but because of different "feels" and offbeat rhythm it seems like something else.

---
Dave,
Thank you for listening and your support! I was very tempted to ask you to play some parts, but decided to wait out for something more serious.

---
Ray,
Ha ha funny! Rustyspoonerism sounds like some kind of chronic illness smile Thank you for listening!

---
FJ,
Thank you for tuning in and your supportive comments!
---
Alan,
Thank you for listening and your feedback! True, there so many interesting places. Even our neighbor, Canada is sooo different.

---
Hans,
Thank you for warm comments! Actually this one came "easy" and fast so there was no painful struggles. You just got to awake the child inside of yourself...lyrics become simpler, but more fun to work with smile

---
Peter,
Thank you for kind words!

---
Tangmo,
Thank you for listening and fun comments. "Geographic knowledge" ha ha, that is a good one. I can totally picture gray haired teacher explaining the politics of Sweden in terms of meatballs smile

---
Robert,
Thank you for your kind feedback.
Actually black bears do make nests, not sure about grizzlies or the eggs part.

Misha.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Geography Blues - 06/23/20 11:49 AM
Very cool tune Misha. I got a chuckle from some of your references. Loved the chopping logs. Some serious lumberjacks here is BC and Alberta. Very creative an some very cool vocal effects. Well done
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Geography Blues - 06/23/20 04:31 PM
Your satire is certainly equal opportunity!

"I nominate this as lighten up music to be played at UN soirees."

Robert nailed it!

That hint of reggae really makes the rhythm distinctive...great use of RTs.

Cool vocals and fx indeed.

Your creativity sets a high bar with this one. We could sit for hours of google sessions
and never come close to this from a geographic and satirical perspective.

Mega fun!

J&B
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Geography Blues - 06/23/20 06:08 PM
You put a big smile on my face Misha! So creative. I think I may have said this once before--if you're a native speaker of a language, you probably can't get past the normal constructs of how to string words together to arrive at something like this. The lyric-writer part of me is jealous of your creative linking of words and ideas. Besides that, the music itself is fun, well-done, and your personality is injected into it to make it even more enjoyable. Great contribution and I'm going to take some inspiration from your creativity.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Geography Blues - 06/23/20 10:04 PM
Hi Misha
Love it. While the lyrics are clever and fun, what really made me smile were the 'scat' passages - one minute sounding a bit like a Russian folk song, the next more like Louis Armstrong. Fabulous.
Regards from 'Australia way too far',
Leon
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Geography Blues - 06/24/20 04:52 PM
hi misha yes very creative interesting peace love it thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Geography Blues - 06/26/20 09:38 PM
Witty and clever Misha! What a gift you have for this sort of thing! Great job putting this together! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: ROG Re: Geography Blues - 06/27/20 08:49 AM
Hi Misha,

Loved it!

Shades of Warren Zevon in there, I think.

Never know what to expect from you, but always seem to like it.

Cleverly done and extremely entertaining.

ROG.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Geography Blues - 06/27/20 01:03 PM
Scott,
I thought that my Canadian forum friends will stop talking to me after lumber remark... smile Thank you for your support and feedback!
----
J&B,
Thank you for listening and kind comments! Ok... there are session musicians... soon there will be a new profession on the block: session googler smile
---
Tano,
Thank you for your support!
... "string words together" This part was actually the easiest, because there are so many places out there that the phrase choices are almost unlimited smile
---
Leon,
Thank you for listening and kind words! The chorus parts were totally unplanned, but seemed to work. One day, I am planning to visit that far away place of yours one day as I have an open invitation from relatives who live there. I wish we had teleporters to avoid long flight...
----
Eric,
Thank you for listening and your comments!
---
Torrey,
Thank you for your kind comments here and on SC!
---
Rog,
Thank you for listening and fun comments!

Misha.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Geography Blues - 06/27/20 01:05 PM
Love that "acute political correctness syndrome...", MIsha. Haha. Right? It's not about the words; it's about the meaning. This song is a great trip --in more ways than one. SO much fun!! It would've been cool to change the music for each country, but there are way too many represented. Man, I love your style and your wonderful sense of humor.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Geography Blues - 07/01/20 09:14 PM
Very cool, very clever!!! LOTS of fun stuff in there!! Melody is perfect for the lyrics too! A True Delight!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: jannesan Re: Geography Blues - 07/02/20 01:10 PM
Nice rhythm with bluesy chording, enjoyable vocal performance, especially that scatting part. Funny lyrics, although Finland is missing and Santa lives in Finland laugh

Janne
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Geography Blues - 07/02/20 05:34 PM
Hi Misha, fun listen indeed!

Best regards

Mike. B.
© PG Music Forums